Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Good thing you got that block-pushing puzzle right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That football level is begging for VoiceOfDog whispering "football!" every time you say that word.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Are there any non-Mega Man 2 ROM hacks besides Minus Infinity (MM4) and Wily's Dream Space (MM5)? I've always liked the NES-ified soundtracks for each hack.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Doorless hut in the Dark World" is probably that house in Thieves' Town that you have to bomb to get into. You passed by a similar one in the Light World.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope that Mario's stunlock abilities are a nod to how it's so easy to stunlock certain bosses in the Mega Man X series. It's still bad boss design, but I'd have a modicum of respect for it if that were the rationale.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like that the Grinder forest level used the music from the tree levels in DKC 3.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

biosterous posted:

What the gently caress else are you going to do with your life spare time if you live in Calgary?
The Flames look good this year.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wouldn't even say Simon broke, he was just laughing at how horribly that level was designed. Pyro, though....

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't bother watching the Hogwarts level all the way to the end because I checked the previews on the video timer and it dragged on for the remainder. And I didn't have to play through it- it must be a chore to play through some of these.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only merciful part of Lumbergh Man's stage (that's my name for the office manager and I'm sticking to it) is that the Quick Man lasers are only two screens. A rare sign of mercy from a stage that pours on the enemy damage.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

It's a SMRPG hack called "Mario Is A Drug Addict". Do you really expect any attempt at quality control, intelligent game design, or genuine wit from someone whose idea for a romhack was "HURR DURR SUPER MARIO BROS HAS MUSHROOMS IN IT MUST BE DRUGS HURR DURR"? That joke was funny the first time I heard it. In middle school. I'd imagine the hack's author is probably about that age, or was at the time they made it.
One joke in that made me laugh. In the part where Geno reveals himself, he says, "My name is Jamiroquoi, but nobody can pronounce that." Otherwise it's your standard dongs/drugs/racism hack.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The hack creator loves putting those helicopter baddies on every screen, doesn't he?

I can't stand the beginning of NES-ified version of the Mega Man X3 weapon get theme.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

To me, that second level wasn't bad, but it did a lot of things and didn't particularly nail any of them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That Mega Man boss fight actually had clever ideas. I particularly enjoyed how Mega Man goes through the boss door while you drop through the ceiling. The ability for him to heal three times is stupid, though.

Why do your weapon "upgrades" make things worse?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Earthbound music aside, the guy who created the Twitch chat level deserves a wedgie.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Red potions are better anyway. They fully restore your life, while fairies only heal you for seven hearts when you die.

Also, when are you going to go for the stone slabs that you can get the items from now that you have the Master Sword?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At this point, nothing can shock Simon. He's been turned into a bitter cynic thanks to Rockman 2 CX.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

What were the Kirby and Final Fantasy tracks used in the levels? I understood the Mega Man music as Dark Man's fortress in MM5.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There's a good idea behind that level, but it's unforgiving as it stands. There's no real reason to make it a DKC Returns-style silhouette level and there's no margin for error.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Rockman CX creator really loves those infinitely spawning helicopter enemies, huh? If Mega Man came with a competent buster they wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.

In case anyone asks, the next level's music is "Fate" from Mother 3. In that game, you first hear it when you fight a monster living under a carpet. At least he put some care into the music selection.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

They also have the battle music that plays as the stage music. If nothing else, the creator put some thought into the soundtrack selection.

gently caress the Carpet Monsters, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm sure the beta testers were all yes-men and/or people who had the same "bullshit hard = good" mentality as the creator.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The original edition of the Romhackeria had an LP of Redesign. It's chock-full of bullshit, some of which hasn't even been posted about here (the mandatory water part of Maridia with no Gravity Suit, the entire escape sequence after Mother Brain, probably more). Eris looks tame by comparison so far, but it still has the 2-missile upgrades.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd be far more inclined to try that MMX hack if the damage you took and the damage the bosses took wasn't far increased and far decreased, respectively.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

You want it to not be​ tediously punishing and unfun? What kind of ROM hack is that :confused:
As Smite said, this guy put a lot of effort into manipulating stuff in MMX. He just used it for evil.The ROM hacker mentality was discussed a bit in the Pokemon Uranium thread. I'm no psychologist but I feel it stems from elitism and egotism.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

Yellow is the worst color to work with. It's only acceptable on its light shades, otherwise you have to start adding orange for dark stuff. Dark yellow is an awful color.
Even the lowest-ranked levels in the Beach world had interesting things going for them. It's the complete opposite in the Mountain world- to me, the only interesting one so far is the 100 Second Challenge, and even I wasn't all that impressed by it. This strikes me as more of a "fun things to do with palettes" world than anything else.

The squished Rex in the overworld after beating the last level was a nice touch, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Have you considered not getting the Dragon Coins in an autoscrolling level?

I liked those levels. They had hard elements to them without being bullshit.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 15, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, hopefully that other level doesn't take you 45 minutes and two videos. Some of the levels in the "worst levels" world seemed less tedious than Sky At The Weird.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's not a Fae guest appearance without tardigrade namedrops.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vaporwave World is a real alpha and omega world. Hopefully it ends as strongly as it started.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shei-kun posted:

I'm gonna be honest here.

"Triangle Dimension" has me worried.
Another level ranked in the 70s doesn't fill me with confidence.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That last level should have been called "Mario Getting Hit By Football."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only white condiment that should go on pizza is ranch, and even then you're pushing it.

VLDC talk: those first two levels were kinda meh. The third one wasn't much better. Also, the first level's theme was way too restrained. Here's the original version for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ejlmLmi8c

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I really liked that level but the secret exit was ridiculously obtuse.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's pronounced "Kow Dah!" I'll kill ya! I'll kill all of ya!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I know what takoyaki is because I watch the Japanese YouTube cooking channel, Cooking With Dog. It's not anime and dog isn't a thing that they cook on it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's cool that the recent SMW Vanilla Level video didn't have that long of a wait. The Haunted world had a lot of decent but unspectacular levels, but the last one was great. Beach is still my favorite world so far.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remembered that the Eris LP restarted and tried to watch the third episode, but I could only take so many item placement fakeouts and blocks that were indestructible with the weapons and items you had at the moment.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I say speed up constantly through the overworld from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Doseku posted:

Ever wonder what Mario would look like if it had a much more serious story?
Well wonder no more.
"Mature" stories in fangames and ROM hacks involving family friendly franchises never fail to be incredibly boring, instead of the provocative game that they're always made to be by their creators. Check the Pokemon Uranium and Pokemon Reborn threads for some cringeworthy examples.

Another thing I'd like to point out: consider using closed captioning for your commentary instead of in-video dialog that gets in the way of the action.

Kurieg posted:

To be fair to FPZero, Bluing is a thing.
I know he had a brain fart, but "blue filter" exists and is used in every big-budget Hollywood movie these days. That's what was going on in the first part of the first level.

Icy Ravine had a good concept but it really overstayed its welcome.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 20, 2017

• Locked thread