Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cheez posted:

More specifically, it's a version of the song from Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995. I can't believe the era of making holiday special editions of games to promote the real deal is dead.
There was Jazz Jackrabbit, Lemmings, and... what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

I know of only one other pair of brothers that do romhacking together but they're in the Super Metroid scene and both of them are pretty drat good at what they do. It's rare to have that sort of dynamic available at all times.
I'm following the 20 Years of Doom thread as well, and I think TeminDump played a wad by a couple of brothers from Scandinavia. Unless I'm misremembering and they're just two good buddies.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's a good thing that second level didn't ramp up the bullshit too much like the second level in the previous video, because autoscrolling levels are annoying to watch. It's manageable in its difficulty but I don't agree with it placing 18th at all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I liked Ice Block Cavern better than the other top 20 level in this world, but it still didn't deserve to be that high.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

(Also there's basically no DEATH WATER)
I can think of at least two things wrong with that level's name.

Weeble posted:

Man, you guys didn't even react to that 9-ball made of coins in the first level.

It appeared right as you were talking about everyone at SMWC being huge Touhou fans.

Made me laugh.
While I didn't get that reference, I do like how they talked about Kazio Mario and ProtonJon as two separate topics of conversation.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

An enemy called Duty... pulling off a fatal rear end Blaster... and the guy posting the videos is "liquidypoo"... it works on so many immature levels!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That was a real "alpha and omega" video. A better name for "Oops!" would have been "gently caress You!" because that's what that level says to the player from beginning to end. It would be better if the level creator used coins as markers indicating where the off-screen boulders would fall, so that you can avoid standing there. There are no redeeming features and Ninomo was an idiot for giving it a perfect 60 to balance out the terrible score it deserved. Even if it wasn't late, it was bottom-10 level material.

"Please Hold the Line," though, was excellent in every way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As far as I'm concerned, the penalty for a level where you have so many opportunities to screw up shouldn't be death almost every time. That hotel elevator level was better in that regard.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't imagine "Booty Wave" being anything but a very, very aggressive rear end shake.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't care either way about Portal references, but I like how Aperture Laboratory used glitches that doesn't require the player to have an intimate knowledge of Super Mario World already.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So how many times has a level creator straight-up lied via message blocks? This is the second by my count after the one that talked about using Koopas to kick the grabable blocks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't know what you were referencing with "ayo, it's mayo," but I couldn't help laughing because both of you were cracking up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah, a Google search referred me to Splatoon 2, although I didn't catch the context from the links I checked.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

It's absolutely hard and I don't know how I would've gotten through certain parts without the switch palaces pressed, but overall I liked this level a lot more than I thought I would.
I still think that the punishment for screwing up in a level filled with opportunities to do so shouldn't be "instant death," and that level was worse at doing that than other ones we've seen. IMO it deserves its bottom 10 ranking. Can't wait for the last and top 10 levels!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That level should have been half as long as it was and should have stuck only with one of those two themes. Are you gonna redo the bullet hell level in Space World again?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tyty posted:

They chewed out someone not part of the "cool kids club" for wanting to use the word swiss in their level name in VLDCX this year and I don't exactly think particularly highly of the design ethos myself. Unfortunately this is the direction SMW level design seems to be trending, so, eh.
Insular online communities always end up cannibalizing themselves.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 29 - Not Here For Subtlety :siren:

Our good friend Ryushikaze rejoins us as a guest in this episode. I try to bring back 90's era phrases, a funny bit I edited into the video is drowned out and goes unnoticed by co-commentators (:smith:), and we find out what kinda weird poo poo Jean dreams about.

Alternate video title: Honor Management Issues
You deserve a poke in the eyes for comparing the legendary Three Stooges to a common hacky boy band.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 31 - Are We Done Yet :siren:

We finish the Phoenix Cave, murder a dragon that's doing some performance art, and get our fashion on.
I skipped over all of the Phoenix Cave in this video outside of the White Dragon fight, and I couldn't soldier through the last video. Imagine how tedious it was to play instead of just watching.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

So is the lesson of this episode that the best SMW levels are actually Kirby levels?
Mass Extinction reminded me of Animal Antics/Pothole Panic in the DKC series, except using Yoshis instead of animal buddies. It even had "no Yoshis past this point" signs, except the prize was further progression in the level instead of a Banana Coin or something like that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The third level is the best level of the bunch from a gameplay perspective, but I completely understand why they rated the first place one as they did. As we saw with the levels with alternately glowing platforms and obstacles that FP couldn't complete, it's pretty drat hard to make a level with that kind of gimmick playable. But the two guys who made the 1st place level did.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Interplanetary is clearly meant for Space World.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dabir posted:

No it isn't, you just have to have the important bits not spend long stretches of time completely invisible.
There's not a whole lot of room on the Venn diagram of "restraint" and "ROM hackers."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't get the point of these levels. It's fine to make a harder romhack, it's fine to want to test the players' skills...so long as it is in the right genre. What's the goddamn point of turning Mega Man into a shmup? It doesn't work.
Mega Man 8 did it pretty well, I think.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That level sure was a brown block of poo poo, all right. If you're going to work a concept into a level, make drat sure it works consistently and is easy to grasp. Also, like I said before, the consequence for a hard stretch of a level should not be death.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The bullshit factor of that level could have been dramatically reduced if Ninja Boy put in a couple of power-ups past the midway point.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The WAA-track was a bit jarring but the level was funny. Certainly functional unlike the other two.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Stink Terios posted:

Some day, eventually, Nintendo will grace us with an Waluigi game and it will be glorious.
I'm holding out hope for a Mario & Luigi RPG spinoff game with Wario & Waluigi. I'll pay all the money for that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I really like the concept of the final level, but it's completely ruined by the Kaizo-like midpoint that forces you to lose your powerups and the needless scarcity on spare mushrooms. If you got one mushroom when you started out and that mushroom respawned when you completed one of the courses, the level would be that much better. Why is this incredibly simple concept lost on the level's creators, and on ROM hackers in general?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As well-made as Rockman 4 Minus Infinity is, they really like putting way too many sprites for the NES to handle at this point. It's my only gripe.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

More like "Staff Infection" :rimshot:

Something you didn't point out about the Ice subsection: it looks like you can't complete it unless you're small. So if you used a mushroom on it, well, gently caress you. That was quite a bit above quasi-Kaizo in my mind.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Eight friggin' months of VLDC. FP, does that mean that you're going to finish up the Metroid Prime soon-to-not-be-a-trilogy? Or is that going to be a secret?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can tell that Artix hasn't played a DKC game in a while because he didn't talk poo poo about Squawks at all in that video.

Will enemies that are just off screen enough for you to bump into be a recurring theme?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I tell you what, I can't wait for blind jumps into offscreen enemies to happen multiple times a level.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I want to have both an edited version that's easier to watch and the raw, uncut insanity of a nearly 2 hour playthrough.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I watched a longplay of Rockman 4 Infinity and I remember seeing the Gemini/Needle Man merge being interrupted by Shadow Man, and you have to fight him instead of Nemini Man. Is that something that you have to unlock by doing something special?

Reggae debuted in the Japan-only Mega Man board game for the NES, his picture appears on the password screen in Mega Man 7 if you put in a wrong password, and he's in Bass's version of the item shop in Mega Man 10. Other than that, I don't think he's in any other Mega Man game. Certainly not 8.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 28, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dancingbears posted:

Heavy Sigh mentioned in the hard mode video that that's getting it's own video.
Ah gotcha, I haven't seen through all of the Hard Mode video. I'm on the credits.

Edit: Heard it.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 28, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Endless" sure was an appropriate adjective for that elevator level. Jesus.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the developers loved the pun so much that they insisted on putting it in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That cannonball castle level was actually pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hopless Heaven, more like Pixel Perfect Hell. That was just about everything bad about the hack condensed in one level. All it was missing were sections with too many enemies.

• Locked thread