Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I initially discounted the thread because I can only handle so much "random person playing SMW hacks and getting frustrated" and was really surprised to see it actually be a discussion of level creation and design. I'm really glad I took another look and gave it a go because you two are interesting to listen to as you play through the levels.

I'm also surprised they used the term "Worst" for the first batch of levels. They are not exceptionally bad (for the most part) almost seems unfair to label them that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Worst is probably just relative in this case. Apparently the really bad submissions and levels that are just Kaizo stuff just got left out of the hack entirely.

Oh I know, it's just if you make it relative, then calling them the worst (even if it is "worst of the best") just seems overly negative for something where the levels definitely don't feel "worst" worthy is all.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A romhack for the original Metroid called Rogue Dawn was released recently and it is really fun. FPzero you in particular should give it a go if you haven't yet, being a Metroid fan and all. I've never played the original, but I still know they are breaking all kinds of limitations the original had, and they added a whole bunch stuff, like a map and saves. The art is really good, the level design smart and logical. It feels like a mature 2d metroid, but crammed into a NES cartridge. It is a little rough going until you get your first upgrade, but it really starts to open up after that.

You can snag it here
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3280/

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Not sure if it was recommended in this thread or another, but to whoever posted the "Metroid: Rogue Dawn" OG Metroid romhack; Thank you. I'm super bad at it but it looks and plays amazingly. The poo poo they got the Metroid one engine to do in it... Just neat.

The ReadMe is some adorable "My original character don't steal that is totally not Samus' sister could totally save the franchise Nintendo please call me!", but the hack itself is real good.

I've had a really fun time playing it, I think I've hit a roadblock and I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. It is a heck of a technical achievement though. Metroid: Rogue Dawn really should be given a try by anyone who enjoys metroid games.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Judge World seems really self serving and indulgent. These 2 levels wouldn't have likely cracked the top 10. Had they been judged like all the others, since judging was already anonymous, then it might have been a little better. But having them be showcased as they are, having them require a huge effort to even attain, and having them be unjudged, it should have been really drat good/special. These aren't atrocious, but they haven't seemed to have been designed to be fun/cool either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

These were what Judge levels should be, not too hard, interesting, and fun in concept. It felt like an interesting victory lap, instead of trying to one up the difficulties of the contest.

• Locked thread