Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kurui Reiten posted:

Go play the original Super Metroid Redesign, or DMantra's old Super Metroid Cliffhanger, though, if you wanna see all pretty much all that poo poo in abundance.

Redesign's rebalancing update, called Axiel Edition after the goon that famously LP'd it, was still pretty harsh. Drewseph (the hack author) was on as a guest commenter in at least one episode and they talked about a few of the design decisions he made and the things that can be improved on.

I played through Axiel Edition last year and it was still more of a huge chore than it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kurui Reiten posted:

Definitely, but the fact that it was still a substantial improvement despite being a little of a chore should tell you how hosed things used to be.

I played the original Redesign back in 2008 or so. I got burnt out at the Draygon battle but honestly don't remember much different about it apart from the ridiculous suitless Norfair damage race you have to do.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'd be far more inclined to try that MMX hack if the damage you took and the damage the bosses took wasn't far increased and far decreased, respectively.

You want it to not be​ tediously punishing and unfun? What kind of ROM hack is that :confused:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Yellow is the worst color to work with. It's only acceptable on its light shades, otherwise you have to start adding orange for dark stuff. Dark yellow is an awful color.

I liked the muted palette in that last level you played.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Holy poo poo that level was intense, but it looks so great. You were really cheating death at a few parts there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm going to guess that you were made to facetank those koopas.

Otherwise, is it possible to stomp the very edge of one of them as it wanders to the leftmost side of their platform without getting hit?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dancingbears posted:

My money's on having to do a precisely timed slide up that one-tile slope.

He tried that I think. It's not even a slope.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did Porcupuffer always just float upwards like that?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ah, the Rhode Island iced tea

Edit: virgin white Russian

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I thought that level's gimmick was really cool but was implemented poorly. I think Ty nailed it with suggesting it can be improved by cycling only two colors.

Also the blind jumps and invisible line guides were just dick moves. If your gimmick is making solid ground visible only some of the time, then don't complicate it with that kind of poo poo.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The grapple beam is still a somewhat lackluster weapon because it can only have the one projectile out at once, it can be a bit tricky to hit with, and it can't really go through walls or hit enemies off-screen, in addition to the fact that it just can't really hurt most of the enemies that aren't specifically weak to it.

It's also a bit awkward to use as a weapon because the length of the beam depends on how long you hold the fire button down. If you tap the trigger you'll get little sparks just a few pixels long.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bet it felt pretty good to roast that bloodthirsty football though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That level reminded me of some of the more difficult SMB3 stages for some reason. Maybe it's all the fish, podobos, and shell block mazes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Also the music is pretty rad. What's it from?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That sewer level ruled.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A lot of stages in SMB3 can be considered "sewer levels" in a way.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Come to think, Mario games in general don't have much in the way of sewer levels, do they? There was one in SMRPG, I guess, and of course there's pipes all over the place, but not much that you could look at and say "yep, that's a sewer level."

I guess Nintendo is smarter than your average game developer. :v:

All of the Mario RPGs have sewer areas because it's illegal to make a JRPG without one.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That world really ended on a high note.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The trial and error gameplay encouraged by that line guide level is atrocious.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

get that OUT of my face posted:

There was Jazz Jackrabbit, Lemmings, and... what else?

Not exactly a "holiday special edition" but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsV6LBUBiI

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That level is ranked in 19th place :ughh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Artix posted:

The poor SMW soundfont, desperately trying to pull off the Mystic Quest Lava Dome theme and just not coming close.

Ah, that's it. I knew it sounded familiar.

What was the music from inside the ice castle? That sounds really familiar to me too for some reason...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As they said, it's from Minish Cap, one of the dungeons.

:doh: Right. I completely forgot that pretty quick.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That red switch palace puzzle was the only one I was able to actually solve.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tyty posted:

Otherwise you get levels like This

I was watching this thinking "..wait what's so bad about this" and then it just got to the weird "fighting" and dialog scene. It reminded me of that stupid Mario x DBZ mashup flash series that went on for years (and might actually still be going)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Come on dude how could you have forgotten what the hint box tells you so quickly? :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What's up with the water in that second level? It looks amazing but did the base game ever have water like that?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I love those piranha plant super koopas :3:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

There is Sonic 3 Complete. It's Sonic 3 & Knuckles hacked together so you can play the acts in their original intended order on top of playing the final Sonic levels as Knuckles.

Wait Sonic 3 levels followed by S&K levels isn't the intended order?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spookyelectric posted:

What was up with the time bonus at the end of that level? It went from zero to something in the thousands and kept calculating after it faded to the overworld screen.

I think it's an overflow of sorts. Looks like the time bonus is a 16-bit value which means it can only go as high as 65,535, which is where it starts counting down after it wraps around again.

467 x 50 certainly isn't more than 65535 though so I have no idea what's happening there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are all the music tracks from other games? This is the only one I recognized aside from the Pokemon jingle you hear after finishing a stage.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tyty posted:

Literally every song is from another game, though iirc there are some other Mega Man songs.

The stage select is Ripple Star's stage select from Kirby 64.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ah, good to know. It's usually easy to recognize music used in mods and whatnot because people tend to rely the most popular tracks.

Also: :lol:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I had no idea Richard from Link's Awakening, as well as his music, were from a different game but considering all the cameos LA I'm not surprised.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah I never even bother pressing forward. Just tapping back rhythmically is enough to keep Mario going.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is probably the best place to ask: is there a hack for Super Metroid that does Fusion/ZM style item markers on the map?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

I don't believe so and the reason would be that there's no function Super Metroid by default that allows for updating map tiles like ZM and Fusion do. You can denote all your items with the dot icon but there's no way to change the map tile after picking it up. Now, with assembly I'm sure it could be done but I don't think I've ever seen it in any hack. Redesign Axeil Edition might have been the closest but even then the map updates that hack does are drawn with sprites, not tiles.

Yeah the circle -> dot thing is what I was thinking of. Actually anything that just displays all of them would be a huge improvement. I'm still not sure why they decided to only show certain arbitrary items in SM.

Would be nice to have markers for other things too (e.g. doors, recharge stations). This is for someone who's interested in playing it but would like the map to be a little more useful.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Actually markers for recharges do exist in the game already, but until recently we didn't have an easy way to move them around in the Map Editor. As for Doors, some people have redrawn their map tiles to have door indicators but if you're thinking of something like the nice variety of icons that Samus Returns has for doors, we don't have an easy solution there.

Oh right I forgot about the recharge indicators.

Just simple doors would be fine. Anything that indicates that rooms are connected.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AlphaKretin posted:

Not to say the level was bad or anything, but I feel like losing your Yoshi being an instant failure condition is kind of a flaw with that level. Not that I'm sure how you'd resolve that, or if it's even possible, but it kinda rubs me the wrong way to so easily be able to just have to kill yourself and start over.

Yeah I was thinking that too. The totally trivial solution of "no death pits" and would have been fine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Actually, the death pits at the end of each section are required to make the level's gimmick work. See, you can only have one yoshi per level at a time otherwise duplicate yoshis will turn into 1ups. By dropping them into pits at the end of each section, you allow the game to reset the "is there a yoshi in the level" flag, allowing you to get the next yoshi.

Right obviously the death pits under the Yoshi jumps would be required, but I'm referring to any point before that (some of the lakes were bottomless, for example).

I was only half awake when watching this update but didn't you lose your horse at some point by hitting an enemy just before the jump pit, after which he ran right into it? A block to catch him by the sign or something would help with that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So how exactly is that moon in the 3rd place level vanilla again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In vanilla Mario World Y and X have the exact same function. I X + A my way through plenty of levels. It's not hard to switch to X when you're already using Y to run.

Also there's a cave level that requires you to spin drill through blocks to get through it normally. I can't remember what level it is but it's just a single width column of blocks with a sinking lava platform underneath. Yellow blocks also aren't a fool-proof Yoshi barrier because you can break them if you spin jump onto Yoshi.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 15, 2017

• Locked thread