Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This looks interesting. I've only dabbled in Super Mario World hacks (Super Demo World, The Second Reality Project and Rob-Omb's World), but it's always seemed like there was tons of potential for creative minds to make unique levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd really love a thorough Link to the Past hack that's not Parallel Worlds or Goddess of Wisdom. Too bad Calatia is dead because I loved his Outlands hack

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That honestly doesn't seem like much considering the biggest criticisms of PW. The dungeons almost all need to be overhauled (although I did like Nayru's Bay). A ton of them are great in theory but aren't executed well. Impa's Ways, for instance, is 100% trial and error, as is Nabooru's Hole. Ruto's Fortress is an exercise in tedium, and Saria's Garden is a heaping, steaming pile of fertilizer

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 30, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So when do we see the number 1 rated level?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I want FPzero's memoirs to be called "Why Did I Spin Jump?"

I like the idea and the general aesthetic but mother of god that's a lovely level. And the first piece of music is way better.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 4, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I would legitimately love it if they made Cecilia as notoriously terrible as she is in her own game

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Great Decor But A Little Noisy"

We stayed at the Swiss Hotel when we were visiting friends. The rooms were pretty and the staff very helpful and friendly, but the decor leaved a little to be desired. The elevators had these antiquated swinging ball and chains but the saws moved in really pretty patterns. Would give 4/5 stars but we kept hearing someone screaming all night and the front desk agent was less than helpful about taking care of it.

It was also close to downtown and a ton of great restaurants. The Chinese place down the street had the best General Tso's I've ever had!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My favorite part is the underwater moon.

Night Swimming is probably my favorite level so far. A very cool concept, not overly difficult, and absolutely gorgeous. I was wondering what the point of having those sawblades was when you have a full range of motion.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So now we know the FP in FPzero stands for Football player

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yellow is the worst loving color

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just assumed they were unaware that in the final product infinite lives would be a thing

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
As far as I'm concerned, item juggling doesn't get worse than Misty Star World in Super Demo World. gently caress that level in general.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
When is the next contest? I made a few levels back in the day I've been looking for an excuse to tweak them and get them out there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Mayo does not belong on pizza. Or anything else, for that matter

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Mayo is acceptable on a BLT pizza.

Which, by the way, I am saying that BLT pizza is acceptable in the first place. I am endorsing shredded lettuce as being a tasty, welcome addition to pizza, and then you put mayonnaise on that pizza, and you cook the mayo with the pizza and then you eat that pizza. Hashtag endpizzashaming.

Lettuce is just crunchy water and it's time that we, as a society, finally acknowledge that. The only good green veggie on pizza is broccoli which pairs well with...

C-Euro posted:

It could be (pretty viscous) white sauce, which is definitely something worth putting on pizza.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm all for Super Metroid hacks that encourage beam changing, as long as they make it quicker than it is in the original. The beams get really strong really quick when they start combining

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mzbundifund posted:

It feels like there's six times as many secret passages as there are normal ones. Practically every room requires you to find the right fiddly morph ball nonsense, always hidden behind a tile that's player-passable that looks identical to all the other player-impassable fakeouts, often with a block that needs destroying with a specific weapon, and your reward is slogging through yet another water section.

Some of the rooms have neat stuff in them, like the goofy statue holding the artifact, and when divorced from shackles like "readability", a lot of the environments are quite expressive.

It's fun to watch the videos, but man I cannot imagine enduring the tedium of playing this.

That's a big theme in Super Metroid hacks. I've barely scratched the surface of the sheer amount of hacks, but Super Metroid Golden Dawn still causes me to wake up screaming and crying.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, this hack seems to have a lot of mandatory pre-Gravity Suit underwater sections, and that's definitely a strike against it. Then again, from what I'm gathering, that seems to be a distressingly common element in Metroid romhacking. People deciding to increase the tedium rather than reduce it. I mean, if you really have to put in one or maybe two mandatory underwater segments before you place the Gravity suit, fine, as long as they aren't too prolonged. Preferably place them just before the Gravity Suit, or make it part of the necessary challenge to get the Gravity Suit. It will increase the player's sense of accomplishment upon getting the suit and make the suit feel more valuable to the player if they experience the "before" and "after" in quick succession. Other than that, I feel like any pre-Gravity Suit underwater sections should be optional and grant powerups like missile or Power Bomb expansions, or an Energy Tank.

There was one I like. FPzero mentioned it in a thread and I looked into it, but I can't for the life of me remember what the hack was called. Essentially, there was an optional, prolonged underwater section you could get into with a bunch of grappling tricks. And ultimately, it would lead you to a section of the Wrecked Ship you couldn't get to otherwise (the doors lock by the time you can get to it another way and never re-opens) and rewarded you with an early Plasma Beam, an early Screw Attack, and a (slightly) early Gravity Suit. Something like that is cool, rewarding you for going through all that (and it's a pain in the rear end). It's optional, requires a lot of skill and patience, and has a satisfying payoff.

Super Metroid Limit forces you into a gigantic Maridia and (if I recall correctly because I never played it again because it's poo poo) even forced you to fight Draygon without a Gravity Suit. That's just being a dick. Redesign did it slightly better. It's a slog, it takes time, but it's not TOO difficult, and the boss you fight is out of the water.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

dis astranagant posted:

New Redesign makes suitless Maridia your punishment for chickening out on the hell run.

Huh? I've played both versions and don't recall that at all.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
What's that one that dwarfs even Redesign? Rescue Mission?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FPzero posted:

Yeah, Rescue Mission with its 8 gigantic worlds. I only beat it because I had nothing better to do with my life and I had a map with all the secrets available. You think Redesign is bad? This thing has like 10 different types of doorcap and a 21-part scavenger hunt at the end of it. It's big for the sake of being big. If you want to see the map, click here for an extremely large image.

The best part is that the hack was mediocre at best. It could've been 25% the size and actually been much stronger.

That actually looks incredibly daunting.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, if I knew poo poo about programming, I'd love to try my hand at a Super Metroid Hack. I've had a few ideas that would be doable with the engine and god knows I need a project to fill my downtime.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FPzero posted:

Also, go back 10 years and I guarantee you'll find all sorts of embarrassing poo poo on SMWC for anyone you look up, myself included. People change over time. :shrug:

The good people do. Some people don't, unfortunately

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FPzero posted:

Not seen here: I cut out nearly 15 minutes of attempting to get the Koopa to catch the Ice Block in the second level. We eventually explain why it wouldn't work, but it turns out the SA-1 patch that allows for more sprites to be on the screen at one time also interferes with Blue Koopas' ability to catch sliding items. Even with that knowledge, the level still felt like it was all over the place and we later learned that it was using all sorts of glitches and obscure knowledge to hide all its dragon coins and moon. But that alone wasn't enough to make the level enjoyable for me. Not sure how it landed 19th place in the end but I guess the other judges saw something in it that I just totally didn't.

First level was good though. I really liked its theme/execution and its use of a secret exit was perfectly acceptable.

That first level heavily reminded me of that Sky World level from Super Demo World where the time of day changes when you go through pipes

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If that was 15th, I'm really excited to see the top 10

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
FP, why did you kill Moonwalking Koopa? What did he do to you? He just wanted to bring you joy.

I find it hilarious that TyTy is posting videos of a hack that says it's bad design to have jumps you have to leap off Yoshi to make and one of the top 10 in this hack is built around that exact concept.

Is there a usable baby green Yoshi anywhere in the game data?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Why did that last level look so familiar?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I don't claim to know anything about the inner workings of Super Mario World, but that last Koopa in the Ice gauntlet was walking after you knocked his wings off, right? Couldn't you have just walked instead of worrying about timing the jump?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Does this mean you're gonna finish up the Prime trilogy, FP?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love you Artix

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just always tag throw Dixie (I'm apparently a minority because I prefer to control Diddy) at them before they get up.

Also, thanks Artix for doing this. Rom hacks in general tend to fall short when it comes to capturing the feel of the original, and DKC2 has such a specific feel that I'd imagine it's harder than most to recapture.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 14, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's weird how stuff like that works, and there's something similar in Super Metroid. One time I was sitting at home bored dicking around in some games, and in Super Metroid I randomly decided to try and Spring Ball my way in a lap around Zebes. And I noticed when I started, just to the right of the door that leads into the main part of Crateria (the first room of the game, basically) there's a few empty space tiles just below the ceiling that if hit with the Spring Ball, behave like the ceiling. There's a solid block of space between where Samus "hits" and the actual ceiling.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love hearing Artix cuss, and it makes his Fire Emblem LP's so much better(Hector Hard Mode, anyone?). I could almost feel his blood pressure rising through my screen.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
DKC2 is definitely one of my top 3 games of all time. The only level I dislike (even if it’s just a little) is Web Woods and that’s because it goes on far too long. I don’t get the Squwaks hate either.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Simply Simon posted:

I hated Squawks for years because Bramble Scramble is not hard for its platforming segments...

And yes, Web Woods is too long for its own good. Red-Hot Ride could also be less tedious overall.

The speedrun just reminded me that DKC2 even pulls off wind levels beautifully.

Squawks only gave me trouble in Animal Antics (and Rambi in the ice section) because that drat wind. I think I saw a video somewhere of someone going through that part as Squitter. That would give me an aneurism or seven

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I did forget about Red Hot Ride. That's probably the one level I genuinely don't like at all.

Honestly, DKC2 balanced the gimmicky levels with the straight up platformers really well. DKC3 on the other hand, went waaaaaaaay overboard with the gimmick levels

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So what's The Lost World gonna be? Will the screen just be full of red Zingers?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I know in DKC you can have 2 Enguarde's on the screen at the same time, and if you accelerate Quawks quick enough you can have 2 of them on the screen, no problem.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm having flashbacks to the time I did Squawks section of Animal Antics as Squitter and all of a sudden I need a drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I decided to start my own playthrough with the randomizer. My uncle was kind enough to leave the arrow upgrade at the house, and the bartender has a stash of Silver Arrows in the back. Now to find a bow...

• Locked thread