Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Augus posted:

A pretty significant bottleneck I've run into on my run is that I can't find the magic mirror, which closes off a surprisingly large amount of options for exploration. I also got screwed with the lamp but fortunately got the fire rod early on, so I couldn't see in the dark at all but at least could still light torches.
It's neat how this run can completely change the way you approach dungeons. A bunch of times I've had to just make trips into dungeons to collect whatever treasures they have then back out to save the rest of the dungeon for later. Makes for a very different experience than vanilla ALttP for sure. I also got the Titan Mitts early on so I was able to go straight to the dark world. I have still yet to actually complete a dungeon.

If you end up in the Dark World without the mirror, you can do a hard save/reload and end up back home. I'm not sure if that's a failsafe in the game itself in case you somehow get to a portal without it, or a failsafe put in by the creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There seems to be a few more failsafes, too. I know I didn't have the lantern but the game acted like I did when I escaped with Zelda (but nowhere else until I found it for real). But that could be a feature of playing on normal.

If I could just find those loving flippers and the bow I'd be pretty much set.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So fair warning, in the Swamp Palace make sure you get key in the second floodable room before you actually hit the switch that floods it. This is totally not based off a personal experience or anything.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I could have sworn I tried that. But it's been a very long weekend. I could very well be imagining things.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ohhhhhhhhhhh I just exited and re-entered. Didn't think I had to reactivate the palace, which actually makes sense.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, the best part about the randomizer is how it goes “Oh, you say you know everything about this game? Ok then” and kicks your rear end. I always thought Southeast Death Mountain was entirely superfluous. There’s no items, no heart pieces, and no way to get to the top from there. Hell I don’t think I’ve been there since the game first came out. I had no idea there were so many chests there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm amazed at how much thinking goes into a given randomizer race. Good racers know the game inside and out, and they also have to think on their feet when they need a certain item to progress.

Exactly. And it’s great because I have the Red Mail, Mirror Shield, and Golden Sword. I’ve beaten the Desert Palace, Tower of Hera, Thieve’s Town, and the Swamp Palace but that’s all I can do until I find the bow, Fire Rod or the Magic Cape to get Bombos with (it’s on that ledge in the Dark World you need the cape to get to). I hadn’t realized just how much a block being bowless can be.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's something oddly satisfying about conquering the Eastern Palace with the red mail, Golden Sword, mirror shield, and the Silver Arrows.

And there's something incredibly hilarious about Link scrounging his way across two worlds to find 3 pendants so he can pull 20 rupees out of a pedestal

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Rollersnake posted:

I don't think Beyond the Beyond had automatic retargeting either, and Golden Sun is basically a more refined version of that.

To be fair, it would be hard to not be more refined than Beyond the Beyond

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

GunnerJ posted:

Oddly I don't remember Golden Sun being very wordy. What sticks out in my memory as most annoying are all the emote reacts.

Well roughly 800,000,000 of those words are "Psynergy" and wasted on plotlines that never get resolved so you'd be forgiven for not remembering

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't say I've sat and watched every race you guys do, but based off the ones I have seen I assume one day you guys are all gonna chip in and get FPZero a plaque that just says "Best at Videogames", right?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 5, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Thanks FP! I really enjoyed this thread. I always enjoy seeing old games played new ways.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ryushikaze posted:

In a seed I'm running on my own, I've got the L4 sword, Mirror Shield, Red Mail, and I'm only done with 4 total dungeons (2 light, 2 dark) and I'm still looking for the mirror. I've cleaned out the light world and have exhausted several dark world dungeons looking for it. It and a couple boss keys are the only things standing in my way from go time. Oh, and to add hilarity to all that nonsense, I picked up basically all of those sword, mail, and shield upgrades in my first loops around the light and dark world, before I even found a usable big key.

Make sure you bring a Green/Blue potion to Mothula!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ryushikaze posted:

By the time I got to Mothula I had quarter magic (I decided to try an easy mode seed just so I could see what that fun was like) so even though I had one, I didn't need it. Same with dealing with Trinex. I got through that fight missing several shots and wound up at about half magic.

Playing with the Randomizer has given me a fun if complicated Idea for an LP, though.

Speaking of...didn’t someone not realize that once you stun a Trinexx head you can hit it with a sword?

• Locked thread