Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 1

This thread needs a second romhack and I'm a sucker for randomizers, so why not?

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

This randomized LttP looks pretty neat, but at this pace it seems like you'll end up with an endgame-level Link before you even enter the Dark World. I'm not sure how good that will turn out but I'll keep watching! Are you doing a normal run or are you going out of order with the dungeons?

Not sure if this is a spoiler alert or just foreshadowing, but Combat Lobster continues to have problems reading the spoiler file so expect shenanigans in the future.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Is the spoiler file generated with the ROM or something?

Yeah, you can tell the randomizer to generate a text file along with the ROM, detailing where every item is. I sent it to Combat Lobster without looking at it myself, and apparently the layout of the text file is not intuitive.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 2

Actual dungeons are completed this time, revealing the horrible randomization of boss drops.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CPColin posted:

Do those thieves still say, "Keep it between us, okay?" and give you something? Was that reward randomized, too?

I forgot to even try, heh. And Combat Lobster could tell me, if he could read the spoiler file...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

What does Sahasrahla normally give you after the Desert Palace? I'm assuming it's money? I don't think I've ever went back to see him after getting the boots.

He gives you boots after Eastern Palace and that's it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 3
So begins the eternal quest for the Lamp.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

oldskool posted:

Is there the chance it'd downgrade your tempered sword if you went for either of the upgrades?

Nope, the romhack fixes that. Like I (think I) mentioned in the first episode, on a normal Japanese 1.0 cart, if you used sequence breaking to get an upgraded version of an item, and then got the earlier version, the earlier version would overwrite the upgraded one. Here, you just keep the upgraded version.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

What was in the tower chest?

According to the spoiler file, the map.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

magikid posted:

So the new version randomizes swords, pendants and crystals, but only among each other, so you can't find them in chests? What is even the point then? Especially crystals, they all have the same function anyway. Who cares if you get the Misery Mire crystal from the Ice Palace?

I hope I've got this wrong, because if there's even a chance to get an early sword upgrade and kill Moldorm faster (or not even need to) I am all over that. What an awful, awful boss.

Sahasralah's item is the time it matters in the light world, and it also comes up in the dark world so you'll see that later. Moldorm - unless he can get hit by some item like the Cane - is unfortunately before anything useful.

Of course, if you get lucky enough to be able to sequence break into the dark world and get the blacksmith sword upgrade, there's that. I think I could have done so if I wanted, but I went into the playthrough with the attitude that sequence breaking is there if I need it, not something to be abused.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 4

The quest for the lamp, part 1

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Are the delayed reactions a consequence of your recording setup, or is the commentary track behind?

Commentary track is slightly behind. There's a split second delay between hitting the record button in the emulator and the emulator actually recording, so my audio cue for the recording isn't spot on. Manually adjusting it isn't always effective, but I figured it was close enough.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 5

The quest for the lamp continues. Seemingly forever.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 6

Actually finishing dungeons again! Whoo!

P.S. before I could even hit 'Publish' on this episode, Nintendo had a copyright claim on it. Now that's efficiency.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

MrLamo2k1 posted:

And sheesh, I tried this thing out on my own and got lucky enough to land a seed that put me in a failstate. The Fire Rod was located in the big chest of Skull Woods like it would normally be, but the big key was in the entrance that requires the Fire Rod.

Allegedly, any fire effect in the right spot will open the Skull Woods entrance, so you can get in via Bombos and careful placement of Link.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 7

I don't remember being this bad at Zelda before.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 8

The mystery of the missing key is solved.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

oldskool posted:

"I need the bug catching net so I can harvest faeries!"
*gets bug catching net*
*spends 450 rupees to fill all bottles with red potions*

I mean I get it, healing is better than no healing & you have no real use for money & a fuckton of money to not use anyway, the timing of it was just amusing.

The real problem is the lack of magic powder to turn anti-faeries into faeries.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 9

gently caress Turtle Rock.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I feel like not putting the silver arrows in the rear end end of nowhere was a missed opportunity.

I don't think it's possible to randomize the silver arrows, because if you throw the regular bow and arrows into the fat fairy fountain and get a completely different item back, you lose the bow completely.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually I've been meaning to ask, is there some kind of feature in the randomizer that prevents the game from going into an unwinnable state somehow?

AFAIK the creator of the randomizer just manually created pools of items that could possibly be in each location and adjusts what items are in what pools to try to prevent most unwinnable states, but it's clearly a balancing act because it is clearly set out to encourage sequence breaking and glitch exploitation to get around certain things. And you can always beat Ganon from the start of the game so long as you have the fire rod or lantern, if you use major glitches.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Every single zelda based lp I've watched, every single one, has the player think they have to do some fancy trick (whether to show off or to progress or whatever) that will bite them in the rear end repeatedly. This button is circlmaster's

I have no excuse. I just misremembered and thought it was a button that had to be held down rather than toggled. In my defense, when I'm recording the emulator doesn't feed me sound (so I can't hear beeping heart warning either) so I had no audio cue about the button.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Wow, you got lucky entering Turtle Rock, though, because I'm pretty sure those chimes meant you did in fact hit the posts in the right order.

The order is inexplicably easy for me to remember.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 10

This episode is slightly less bullshit than the last one.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

EDIT: Wow what a mess.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 11

I swear I'm not usually this bad against Ganon.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

FPzero posted:

Tyty has suggested to me in the past that they should use an Olympic style of judging: 6 judges, drop the lowest and highest scores for each level. You remove outliers on both ends of the scale this way. I think this is a great idea in theory; in practice, finding 6 people qualified and willing to judge for a VLDC is not easy.

What if I'm willing and also lie about being qualified?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That romhack looks awful and I think I hate it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Make me a judge. My qualifications:

1. I have read this thread.
2. I got all 96 exits in SMW :smug:
3. My time is worthless.
4. I give no fucks and will just score things based on actual scoring instead of trying to metagame the system.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

Did... did Samus explode the kid? :ohdear:

Don't be silly.

The kid would vaporize, not explode.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can't believe FPzero didn't invite me to commentate on LttP Randomizer. I'm hurt. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Does "no glitches" still make you go through dark rooms? Because I think I've gotten everything possible in my keysanity run except the old man on Death Mountain and the dark rooms in Eastern Palace, and I have no Moon Pearl and no mirror to do anything in the dark world.

• Locked thread