Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Heavy Sigh posted:

Rockman CX #1: Oh no! A rock!
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Simply Simon)

CAN you actually get killed by Mega Man's charged shot at the end there? I think I tested it just to see and I didn't die.

Anyhow yeah, this one is not a good hack in spite of the scripted events and such being so impressive. Minus Infinity may have had some iffy moments, but "iffy" was the worst you could say about them. CX was very frustrating for me personally. Especially since the boss music this game uses is from my all-time favorite Pokemon knockoff.

EDIT:

get that OUT of my face posted:

Are there any non-Mega Man 2 ROM hacks besides Minus Infinity (MM4) and Wily's Dream Space (MM5)? I've always liked the NES-ified soundtracks for each hack.

Off the top of my head there's Burst Chaser for MM3, which doubles Mega Man's horizontal speed, Air Sliding for MM5, which lets you slide in the air, and BCAS for MM4 which combines the gimmicks of the previous two. All three design their stages around these gimmicks.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Why do your weapon "upgrades" make things worse?

I don't think they necessarily make them "worse" actually. For the platform, at least. I noticed that the platform only lasts like two seconds now, but the thing is, there can only be so many on screen at once, so the sooner one disappears, the sooner another one can be made to appear, allowing you to continually use them.

Personally, though, I'd just stick to giving me Item 1, 2, and 3.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Holy crap when I watched speedruns of CX I thought the spike drop at the end there was a cutscene, because there's no way they would actually make the player do it, right?!

My god, the Undertale music couldn't be any more fitting.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Valgaav posted:

There was mention in the video of someone doing a Perfect Play of that game. Could I get a link?

There's this speedrun that appears to take no damage at all (no doubt with many save states or just memorization):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbwesaAR_0

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I've never seen Minus Infinity played on Hard. I don't know if it's just Dust Man's stage being itself, but Hard mode looks kind of...discourteous, I want to say.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

I believe that dumb "blocks fly in randomly" segment at the end of Dustman's stage is a reference to the infamous cube rush in Gradius 3's arcade version.

That makes a lot more sense, I always thought it was a Zelda floor tile room thing.

Puresabe, for the last time, Mega Man is not a shmup!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I see Hard Mode Pharaoh Man is based on everyone's favourite franchise about ancient Egypt.

Touhou.

There are bullet hell shooters other than Touhou.

Anyways, the game spams even more bullets than that in the fortress levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Similarly the romhack Pokemon Quartz requires you to fly to a city you're actually already in at one point, as it's the only way to reach one pokemon center and continue the plot. It's weird enough that later versions of the hack's readme outright tell you to do this in the FAQ section.

I remember a ROM hack called Kaizo Blue (yes, it's precisely what you think) doing this too, and it was way more appropriate there, at least.

• Locked thread