Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Why would you ever choose to hack MM6, the game with probably the worst engine after MM2? I've seen LPs of okay MM6 hacks but I'm still baffled. MM5 is so good, Capcom made a second official GAME with that engine (Darkwing Duck), why not use that? Too hard to give up Plant Man's advanced AI routine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Can you explain it for us dumb people because this went way over my head
As far as I picked it up reading stuff in raocow's forum, it works something like this: Super Mario World has an obscure mechanic where if you pass certain checkpoints in a row without dying, the final one will spawn a 1-up mushroom jumping up out of nowhere. I don't know where and even if that was used in the actual game, but it's there. These checkpoints are objects in the game, and, much like Dragon Coins, once you collected them all, all of them vanish forever. Same is true for a moon, you get the 3-Up bonus once and then it's gone.

The thing is, you can hide objects behind other objects. If the "top" object disappears, the hidden one appears. It's been done a few times with Dragon Coins in the past, where after collecting all five and getting the 1-Up, a door spawns behind the first one or so, opening up a secret exit that can only be gotten by collecting 'em all. A rather new thing is doing the same with the 1-Up checkpoints, which are invisible, can be placed by the level creator at spots where you have to pass through, and therefore elegantly give you a guaranteed shortcut after going through a certain portion of a level. It's rather brilliant!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why aren't you using your weapons more? The standard buster sucks, use the weapons!
I'd normally be echoing you, but Sigh is clearly trying to use the weapons a lot, he entered the menu at least three times this video, then he looked at the options and did a namesake. I'm not about to try the game myself and test them for uses like I used to do for MM5 and such, but I strongly suspect based on past experience with Fangames that they just ARE loving bad. Many creators treat weapons as an afterthought and make seven slight variations of the same theme "no good trajectory, also deals too little damage" and one stupidly overpowered one (which might or might not have too little ammo to really be useful...or exist).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

"So, you fight Mega Man himself in my hack!"
go on
"And you are, like, the boss of a stage HE played!"
that's pretty neat!
"And he uses all of his Mega Man 2 weapons!"
that's awesome! Make sure you program them well :)
"Mostly Bubble Lead, though."
uh...huh?
"And of course he has collected three E-Tanks already."
...let me stop you right here my dude

Like many hacks, this one is a prime example of someone desperately needed but not delivered who can tell the creator "no". Granted, most hacks also have technical issues all over the place, but this one has a lot of programming talent behind it, so it's a far better candidate for the "bad idea, out" fix which would actually, you know, fix things. It's not fundamentally flawed, but it's dragged down so much from many, many small - and large - dumb decisions.

EDIT: By the way, did I see correctly that Mega got damaged by his own Crash Bomb? That's awesome! More of that!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You didn't read the Green Switch activated message closely, did you :D?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Floor is like Wily's Revenge Carry hypercharged, with the added benefit that Carry has some super dumb segments attached where you always have to have it in speeddial to save yourself from spikedrops (on a Gameboy screen, mind). Floor doesn't stand for that! (it's mandatory in a lot of other dumb poo poo coming up, but it itself is not the problem)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Cheez posted:

Namecalling on that level kind of requires something to back it up when there's someone else who's been explained to have flat out lied, the worst thing you can do as a judge, and gets a very lenient treatment. I'm sorry for not being crazy enough to let the double standard slide.
Yeah, it's you who is the normal one for demanding someone deliver arguments for the tone they choose when commenting on something on SA which a LPer comments on in a video which is drama that happens in a completely different forum. I'll aquiesce your demand, though: you're a loving idiot, and I'll back it up with the post I just quoted.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Miacis posted:

And the boss theme is a faster version of Off To War, the "Danger encoming" dialogue music in Fire Emblem 3/12. It's a weird choice, but it works surprisingly well as a boss tune.

Thanks for saying this, I was wondering about it for a while but always forgot to google myself! The boss theme in -inf is crazy, I love it!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm replaying Super Mario World right now because I got my hands on a SNES mini and all these Romhacks made me want to just play the drat game again, and I was thinking about the spinjump thing too. As far as I can tell so far (and remember), you can probably finish the game without any spinjumping at all (the required digging level is the first star world one, iirc), but it is mandatory for a bunch of secret exits. You might cheat some of those with a Yoshi who can lick up keys through walls, but I'm not sure about all of them. Irrelevant because of the star world level where the entire level is based around it.

I think what's often overlooked is how loving hard it is on a SNES controller to spinjump on the fly. You pretty much always want to hold Y (left button) to have running speed, and B (normal jump, bottom button) can easily be pressed while keeping Y held down. But pushing A (spinjump, right button) while holding Y is a completely different matter, and I don't know a good way around that barring some creative claw-handing. When I tried a few romhacks back in the day, I immediately remapped the emulator buttons so I could spinjump with L or X or something, but the original vanilla game obviously doesn't allow that. So I'm always like "good thing I now know that the spinjump is the cool tool to break the game, wonder why I never figured that out as a kid

oh right because it's almost completely unusable just from the control setup, never mind"

Mega Man X afaik lets you remap dash from A to L, so that's good and is the first thing I do (especially after playing so much Mega Man Zero where that's default), and I did the same for Super Metroid where the default is really weird (I think it's B to shoot, Y to run and A to jump, X deselects weapons while Select changes them). Now I can't angle the gun down when standing still but that's barely an issue. None of these luxuries are in SMW, sadly.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I, for one, really enjoy bonuses and midpoints dropping you off onto enemies.

It's unironically one of my favorite features of DKC2 and I'm glad that the hack author went the extra effort to include some of these moments.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

FPzero posted:

Congratulations to Simon on his new lucrative career as a Health Bar Voice Actor.
Never wanted to be a Professor of Chemistry anyway...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I still think the bonuses might be the best part of this game. Many of them are super creative and with their short and self-contained nature it rarely matters if they're super clunky. Generally, the entire game is super creative, but sometimes hampered by jank and difficulty, which is too bad. I'm honestly tempted to try it because when it shines, it shines. I think the frantic toxic tower climb without animal looked amazing, for example, and I feel the itch to try and find secrets like it's the normal game. But yeah, half of the stages or at least half their content is sadly terrible and that's tragic in a way. Romhacks!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Augus posted:

Rattle Battle is amazing how could you forget that
I actually got really stuck on Rattle Battle the first time I played the game and kind of hated it :v:. Basically, I really wasn't good at videogames for most of my childhood, Rattly felt weird to control for me (I think he still is but it makes more sense now that I figured out how his auto-hopping works), and the end stretch is kinda brutal with some nasty jumps over long pits while cannonballs and barrels are shot at you. I'd always gently caress up one jump right at the end and have to replay a decent chunk of level and it was the worst.

Of course, once I passed this incredible obstacle, I'd then get stuck for, like, years (I never owned the game, so I had to try and beat it in the periods I borrowed it from various friends) on Bramble Scramble :negative:.

I also remember playing DKC2 in a race thingy for a thread here two or three years ago and I still loving sucked at it so maybe I haven't progressed from my childhood days much :thunk:.

Regardless, the game owns a lot especially when you get to really go with the flow. My favorite passages off the top of my head are the swamp level where you jump from crocodile head to crocodile head and occasionally mosquitos, that is a prime example of that flow; Lava Lagoon, which is a pitch-perfect underwater level because half of it is NOT underwater and it's designed to make you go fast; Castle Crush because the music is amazing (it's the first level to feature Crook's March iirc and that always wowed me once I actually got to world 6) and it is an auto-scroller/elevator level that is still insane fun because it always gives you something to do instead of making you wait out boring obstacles, so I replayed it constantly just for the fun of it; and various other fun parts like most Hive levels (I love the honey mechanic more than it deserves, much like most walljump puzzles in the Mega Mans), Squitter outside of Web Woods, Target Terror and Haunted Halls (the perfect difficulty balance in each, I feel; gently caress getting the DK coin in Rickety Race though, and also all the minecart levels in DKC1, those are too hard imho)...actually, there's a lot of DKC2 that's really, really good just off the top of my head!

Now I'm a little bummed out again that DKC1 is on the SNES Mini instead because it's so, so much worse :sigh:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Note that I also didn't call DKC1 bad ;). It's fine, I think there's been a little too much revisionism in the past years going "actually, it was never a good game, you were all distracted by the pretty graphics!!!". It does have a lot of rough edges and a super unsteady difficulty curve, so DKC2 is better, no contest.

Let's not talk about DKC3.

Wonder if there are hacks for DKC1, though? Could go either way: yes, because it's "simpler" in many ways; no, because the programming is probably even less elegant and straightforward than 2's.

EDIT: While I'm here and because I per chance just checked, AGDQ is setting up the DKC2 race right now!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 8, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

DKC2 is definitely one of my top 3 games of all time. The only level I dislike (even if it’s just a little) is Web Woods and that’s because it goes on far too long. I don’t get the Squwaks hate either.
I hated Squawks for years because Bramble Scramble is not hard for its platforming segments...

And yes, Web Woods is too long for its own good. Red-Hot Ride could also be less tedious overall.

The speedrun just reminded me that DKC2 even pulls off wind levels beautifully.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

magikid posted:

Bramble Scramble is my favorite stage.

I feel like I'm alone here.
It's objectively quite good (especially the platforming parts) but my feeling of dread is deeply ingrained, man. I also think if you have truly understood how Rattly moves then the first half of Toxic Tower is quite amazing to just ZOOM upwards through, but it's still loving Toxic Tower so it's the WORST!!!

Though I don't think it's a good stage per se. Most other vertical stages in DKC2 are far better at avoiding the usual problem of vertical stages: the long fall down when you mess up. Usually they have one-way screen-wide platforms as checkpoints of sorts (though some cannon-heavy mineshaft levels break that, sadly), or simply don't let you fall at all (Windy Well). Hell, even Slime Climb as a direct comparison - a vertical stage which doesn't make you redo things when you fall, it just kills you - is better for the semi-checkpointing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Chalk me up to a kid who didn't finish Thieves' Town for the longest time because I thought you needed a small key for every cell door.

Also, I recently started Golden Sun again because I wanted something for the GBA emulator on my phone and there's surprisingly few other RPGs on there (might be a huge reason for the game's undeserved success, eh) and I do have some amount of nostalgia for it. After the first dungeon, my skipping through dialogue finger already hurt. But what's even more damning is that it is an RPG from the 2000s that doesn't have automatic retargeting if you kill an enemy. It must have been deliberate because the character who'd have to retarget guards instead, so it is really an insanely dumb active decision made so the game plays like it's loving Final Fantasy 1 in random encounters. How did I not remember this (answer: I didn't actually have much comparison, and that's the second reason why so many people bought and legitimately enjoyed Golden Sun back then).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Thank you for pointing me towards the randomizer, it's really a wonderful thing. I had more and more urge to try it myself after each of your videos, and now I bit the bullet, it's great! I got Hammer, Moon Pearl, Flippers, Shoes, Gloves...no sword...and I really need to explore the Dark World because I got everything you need to go there. With five hearts.

At least I found the Flute deep deep in Skull Woods just now (got a buncha key for that and it IS close to the one accessible portal...), so I can do some death mountaineering. Also it really sucks having to go from Sanctuary to Kakariko to the woods to the portal to where you need to go in Dark World every time you die, so tbh I just savestated after the portal. Other than that, amazing.
You might notice also that I never mentioned having found a sword.

EDIT: drat, this seed is fun. Had to go around the entire Dark World to get not-Quake which turned out to be the Hookshot, this gave me access to the other part of Death Mountain, where I just found the bow. Now I can finally kill the mirrored red guys in Palace of Darkness...it's like the game planned that, amazing.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 9, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Okay I just had to look this thing in your videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQsmMFdmi0&t=1295s
Why the gently caress can you shoot over this stone

I'm not complaining because that got me two full hearts, my first sword AND the mirror but aaah I would never have progressed because I thought you HAD to have the boomerang for this switch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It does not block arrows, this is how I just got to the chests. It does, however, block the Hookshot, which I got before the bow, so I tried that vainly and concluded "guess I absolutely need the Boomerang then". I also tried bombs but not throwing them directly AT the stone so jury's out on that one.

Game's wide open now, by the way; I suspect I either miss That One Key down the line somewhere or it's just smooth sailing. So I'll stop giving a progress report even though I love doing those ;). Other unmentioned highlights include: Blind as the first boss; Blind with a Hammer, no mail and 7 hearts; copious savestate abuse somewhere different and surely not at that particular point. Blind gave me a Piece of Heart though so totally worth it.

• Locked thread