Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This looks interesting. I've only dabbled in Super Mario World hacks (Super Demo World, The Second Reality Project and Rob-Omb's World), but it's always seemed like there was tons of potential for creative minds to make unique levels.

Yeah, the sheer depth of detailed knowledge about every little quirk of the engine, combined with tried and established level design principles, really make SMW romhacks a fascinating thing to watch. At least the ones that are good.

Actually, because of that, I have a (possibly stupid) question for the experts: What is, in your opinion, the best SMW hack out there? I'm really interested to see what level of quality can come out of a constellation like that, but I would somewhat prefer to find out without having to dig through 25 years' worth of hacks.
(Here's hoping that I did not just start a flame war...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I always figured it could just serve as a convenient way of marking spots where you're supposed to jump or duck or something similar.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

So, I assume the video title was a toss-up between the one we got and 'I hate video games'?

Jokes aside, thanks a lot for making it through all of this. For me it certainly provided some valuable insights into game design in general.

Although I'm really curious now: What are your personal favourite SMW romhacks? I mean, you've been talking about bad hacks a lot, but there have to be some good ones... right?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Doseku posted:

Thanks for letting me know. I'll attribute that mistake to the fact that I haven't played this game for years and forgot everything but a few key points and possibly a couple bosses.
Anyway today we investigate why Mario has a giant robot of himself on his private island.

Super Mario Land Two DX: Episode 02 - Mario Zone

Ah right, that weird pointless autoscroller level that you never even have to enter... I'm kind of glad there's a hack like this, since Mario Land 2 is really one of the most unconventional Mario platformers. I believe there's hardly ever two levels that use the same tileset.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 16, 2018

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Amusing coincidence: Just a few days after your LP concluded, the Randomizer received an update which, among other things, added a Retro mode that aims to make the game play more like the original Zelda. And that, of course, means Rupee Bow! :10bux: per arrow, 50 for a silver arrow.

• Locked thread