Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

raocow posted:

It's worth noting that the contest DID have peeps sending over outright kaizo nonsense, or like 'check out my sweet 20 screens of absolutely nothing!!' but those levels just got outright disqualified and thus are not present in the compilation game. That's kinda why 'worst world' is actually kinda alright if bland.

And thank god for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Tyty posted:

It's worth noting, that they didn't put levels in the worst world if they would've been dropped there by penalties. The 108th place level ate so many penalties it had a negative score. Notably, it wasn't vanilla and recieved a MASSIVE late penalty.

imo they should've just not accepted late entries but they wanted to try not being so strict this year I guess.

I think not being vanilla is a worse transgression than being late in a Vanilla contest.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Please don't play the VIPs, they are bad.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

No it's just a lovely aesthetic thing people do because it's easy and requires no thought. I wish it would die.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That's...a surprisingly strong opinion, but fair enough; I don't mind it when it's meshed in with the visual themes of the level (like, say, having half-sunk blocks around ruined structures), but I'll admit it's kind of superfluous most of the time.

This is not the first hack to overuse the design en masse.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mak0rz posted:

Did Porcupuffer always just float upwards like that?

If they aren't in water, they move left and right while floating upwards.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But at least the colors aren't horribly garish. I wasn't kidding when I said I've seen some awful color palettes.

Varia suit in Fusion

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Thank you for vocalizing your issue with tech or "creativity" over actual level design. It always plagues contests and collabs (USS Suboptimal says hello) and now everything being shown off about the SMBX 2.0 project just screams this. They added like a million characters but they're all terrible gimmick characters that make Link look like just a Mario recolor, and they just keep showing off dumb things you can do with tech, as opposed to actual neat game design things.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Now it's time for MaGLX2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

:justpost: