Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'm kind of torn between showcasing the current latest edition of FF6 Brave New World or doing some FF6 Beyond Chaos randomizer runs. My concern with the former is that we've seen an earlier version (and some of the script edits and half the hacking team being bad), but at the same time the latter isn't going to be very interesting in screenshot form. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

FredMSloniker posted:

I remember someone made a Mario hack (Mario 1, that is) where anything you did that earned you points killed you (with the exception of hitting the flagpole). I don't know if you could actually finish it or not.

There's a Communist Mario hack (more than one, actually, I think?) where coins are death; I've seen it in action, and it's pretty challenging.

I've got the first segment of BNW recorded, but at the moment I'm looking for a vdub/avidemux-like for macOS so I can do screengrabs from it. (I've also considered doing FF6 T-Edition, but that really deserves its own thread, preferably by someone who can summarize or translate the dialogue as it's Japanese-only.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Ah! After a thousand years, I'm free!! Now, time to conquer the world! Let's play Final Fantasy VI: Brave New World!

FF6: Brave New World is a complete overhaul of FF6; very few stones have been left unturned, for better or for worse. Because it's primarily interesting for the gameplay and not the, ah, judicious (:eyeroll:) script changes, however, I'm only going to include dialogue shots where required to remind folks of where we are in the storyline.

Didn't we go through this hack once already?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, but a lot has changed since then. Besides, if you really want to see what the script edits are like, the previous LP can give you an idea of their quality.

Hey, isn't BTB a--

We don't talk about that, son. Focus on the hack, not the hacking team.

Part One: The First Invasion of Narshe
Interlude One: The Beginner's House
Part Two: The Castle in the Burning Sands
Part Three: Running Through City Streets and Mountain Passes
Part Four: White-Water Rafting

Characters (may contain spoilers for later characters (:rolleyes:) if you're not up to date.)

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 12, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Miacis posted:

Oh, and the Dirty Undies, do have a purpose: they prevent random encounters in the mines so that Lv1 Terra doesn't get destroyed by post-Magitek Facility encounters.

I can appreciate the effect without being a fan of the name.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

FPzero posted:

Just noticed this. Make sure your encoding bitrate is high enough. OBS will record lossless, or close to it, but if the actual encoding bitrate is too low it'll still come out blurry. 2000-3000 is good for streaming, but for recording I usually like somewhere around 6000. Of course, if you're already doing something like this then I'm not sure what the cause would be.

Apparently what happened was, I clicked the wrong button when the space warning came up for lossless and I didn't notice. :bang: It won't be an issue for future updates.

e: We'll look at the Beginner's House probably tonight or tomorrow, though that's gonna be mostly a text dump.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 28, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
(This part is almost entirely :words:, so I don't think the SSLP test poster is really necessary.)

Interlude One: The Beginner's House

I didn't touch on the Beginner's House in the first update because the mechanics it discusses really deserve a post of their own.

As I mentioned in Part One, BNW implements an optional grind mode (which defaults to 'allow XP gain') so that players can grind for cash or spell points without worrying about overleveling. The hack authors would like to remind you that if you underlevel as a result of not turning it back on, you get to keep the pieces of your broken sanity, only in not so many words.

Save points no longer allow you to use Tents, so don't expect to get away with running light on healing items. As I mentioned, there are 'restore points' which heal your party fully when you encounter them--the savepoint we encountered in Narshe's esper mine is one of them.

Items! Dried Meat is your source for early fixed-amount healing; tonics and potions do the Tales-series percentage-of-maximum HP recovery thing. Lock's Steal command, as mentioned in Part One, only takes items from Human foes; attempting to steal from nonhumans will waste your time.

Evasion works! Light armour aids in evasion, heavy armour in tanking. Know the difference. Magic Evasion will let you dodge any magic attack, even those with an accuracy a Hit Rate over 100; attacks with no Hit Rate always hit, however. On the other hand, your foes don't have Magic Evasion, so magic attacks will always hit them.

The Beginner's House trap chest has a dinosaur in it. I guess they figured having a Silver Leo Lobo in there was unconvincing or something. We get a Phoenix Down from it, though.

Attributes don't change over the course of the game via esper use, which is huge. I'll talk about this more when we get to Zozo and get our first espers, though.

So let's talk about what attributes do now:

• Stamina affects the likeliness of a condition to 'stick' to the character, and it also shields against Gravity (percentile damage, like Demi), Drain (HP theft), and Death (kills you) attacks. Stamina increases recovery from Regen and decreases damage from Sap, and reduces--and makes more consistent--damage from magical attacks. Finally, Stamina impacts the strength of abilities like Gil GP Toss and the Remedy and Regen spells, and reduces Dance's chance to stumble rather than do a non-native Dance routine.
• Vigor improves physical attack damage and does for physical damage what Stamina does for magical damage.
• Speed and Magic still do what they say on the tin, pretty much.

The Jump ability has been somewhat revamped; it increases damage from weapons' randocast effects in addition to doing more damage than Fight (which goes up even more with a spear, particularly one used in both hands). Rods consume MP (with Fight) to do extra damage with randocasts, too. Katanas and spears may be used two-handed, and claws, knives, and a few other weapons can be dual-wielded--we saw this with Lock's loadout. Dual-wielding reduces damage from each weapon by 25%. Paintbrushes have a healing attack now, and Sketch requires one in the same way that both Seal Sword Runic and Bushido require a sword. (On the other hand, Sketch isn't a potential gamewrecker any more.)

The back row halves the damage characters deal (including many Blitzes and Bushido techniques, as well as some Tools), while reducing damage taken by 25%. Throw, GP Toss, and Jump ignore this damage penalty, as do some weapons. Said penalty also applies to randocasts from weapons. Furthermore, all damage is magical unless explicitly stated otherwise. (The included 'printme' details the sources of physical damage, since in-game descriptions were trimmed for space reasons. I won't go over which abilities those are because I ran out of fucks to give while trying to read the 'printme'--don't use 5.5pt font for things you expect people to read, guys.)

Abilities with 'free' targeting (most spells, GP Toss, Throw with shuriken, etc.) can be made to target multiple foes, at the cost of dealing 50% of the single-target damage. This penalty also applies to some multi-target abilities, such as the ninja scrolls. Speaking of damage reduction, Defend halves all damage until the user's next action.

Counter-attacks based on the ability used may occur more frequently, even if the original attack kills the foe using the counter. AI behaviour will also generally change based on whether the foe is near death, has certain conditions, or has lost its allies.

Negative status conditions!

• Poison works as you expect.
• Blind/Darkness halves physical accuracy, even for abilities that normally wouldn't miss.
• Kappa Imp's still impin'.
• Sleep works as you expect.
• Berserk Bserk works as you would expect.
• Confuse Muddle works as you would expect.
• Silence Mute disables all abilities that use MP (most enemy attacks don't).
• Sap is milder than Poison, but can only be cleared with Regen.
• Zombie is, well, zombie. (Instant-death protection blocks this condition.)
• Petrified Stoned has the usual characteristics.

Remedies, uh, remedy (:v:) all of the above except for Sap and Zombie. Additional note: Slow and Sap work on almost all foes, including bosses and mini-bosses, and can be cleared by Haste and Regen, respectively--and equipment bestowing Haste/Regen render the wearer immune to their respective reversions. Libra(ry) Scan can be used to show all status conditions on a given foe.

Undeadness works as usual, though foes have a few extra perks: immunity to most conditions, and Death Doom (among other things) has its effect inverted when targeting undead. On the other hand, they're susceptible to death-by-MP-drain. The usual Fire and Holy elemental weaknesses apply, in addition to time magic and Undead-Killer weapons.

Vanish and Blink Image work as they always do (causing physical attacks to miss, and in Vanish's case causing magical attacks to always hit). However, the ol' Vanish/Doom (or Vanish/Dezone X-Zone) trick no longer works. Reflect will trigger on most free- and single-target magical abilities, but not randocasts and definitely not already-Reflected abilities. Protect Safe and Shell continue to do as you would expect, but they (and Reflect) now appear in the status column when targeting allies in battle. Reraise Rerise turns the ATB bar green while it progresses. Float protects from all ground-based attacks, not merely earth elemental attacks.

Tina's Morph command is now a toggle, rather than a timed status condition. It boosts all damage and healing output by 50%, but all damage taken by Tina is doubled. However, this penalty is modified by Tina's Stamina.

The Runic command absorbs all white, black, and gray spells, but not blue magic used by enemies.

Elemental hints: Poison works well on human foes, lightning and water elemental attacks fry mechanical enemies, lightning also crisps up fliers nicely, and ice elemental attacks do a wicked number on saurians. Earth and wind elemental attacks, while powerful, don't exploit any weaknesses. Gravity damage (Demi et al) works on all enemies that don't resist the relevant element (and aren't bosses or mini-bosses). Lastly, holy and recovery elemental abilities hit undead weakpoints for massivve damage. As a point of interest: resistances trump weaknesses on multi-element attacks.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Choco1980 posted:

why does gravity element work on flying?

Gravity isn't actually an element, qua element. It's a damage class. (The dialogue actually says 'fractional damage', but that looked silly so I explained it a different way.) This means that a fire-elemental gravity attack would be blocked by fire immunity, for instance.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

FPzero posted:

I'm convinced that 99% of Zelda modders use Zelda Classic these days thanks to ease of access, where LttP is still struggling to even have a working editor.

Hyrule Magic is a goddamn clusterfuck, yes. It's very easy to accidentally your hack if you're not careful, and most people aren't.

There are a few complete hacks that aren't PW or GoW, though. I can't attest to their quality, however.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Well, gently caress. I have footage for Narshe to the other end of Mt Koltz recorded, but avidemux is making GBS threads itself (:argh:) due to the uncompressed frames (it has zero idea what to do with them). If this is unrecoverable (I'll upload a sample and let the Tech Fort have at it after this post), I'm going to have to redo the entire game up to that point, and the screenshot quality's not going to improve all that much.

(Good news is, mpv can play it, albeit sluggishly, so if all else fails I can probably run it through ffmpeg or mencoder...)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Incidentally, if people want to do randomizer runs for the thread, here is a big list of randomizers.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

get that OUT of my face posted:

Are there any non-Mega Man 2 ROM hacks besides Minus Infinity (MM4) and Wily's Dream Space (MM5)? I've always liked the NES-ified soundtracks for each hack.

III, IV, V, VI, VII, X1, and a lonely X3 hack.

And that's just all the ones hosted on RHDN.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

oldskool posted:

Oh my god this is fantastic :allears:

You ain't seen nothin' yet. The Beyond Chaos randomizer can also generate a dungeon crawl a la Lufia II's Ancient Cave.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Apologies for my tardiness, but Part Two: The Castle in the Burning Sands is up.

I am not recording raw footage again. Aegisub (and mpv, my media player and video guinea pig) gets skippy when it's asked to do 60fps of uncompressed video. Unfortunately, I have another update to go (already recorded) before I can go do 5000-bitrate h264. :suicide:

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 24, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
There are actually more secret codes than that, but the developer only implemented them to test various parts of the randomizer. They're in the project README, for those interested. (And the way they're pulled in means you can use standard flags in addition. :D)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Part Three: Running Through City Streets and Mountain Passes is up, along with a Characters page.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

... Why does his first form shoot Bullet Bills?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Sorry for taking so long to produce Part Four: White-Water Rafting; this time I have no excuse.

I'm going to leave the poll up for a week and then I'll tackle the scenarios in popularity order.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
There's also a rando (linked to in the randomizer thread I've linked previously), but honestly I think the appeal of Super Metroid is mostly in watching people speedrun randos, at this point, especially when they're racing.

Incidentally, the FF6 Beyond Chaos guy's working on a FF4 rando now, which might be amusing when it's more featureful.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
My take: Ninjaboy's feedback should have been thrown out as soon as his dipshit scoring came to light. If that required a rerelease of VLDC9, oh well—judge chicanery like this shouldn't be permitted to slide.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

C-Euro posted:

This but FF6 Brave New World

Sorry. :(

Finals next week, then I'll have all the free time in the world (until August, that is).

(I'm also a bit salty that I hosed up saving once I got to the scenario-select screen, so I have to get back there.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

hanales posted:

It did? Man I played the hell out of that game and never found that.

Now I have to find a way to play it on my macbook.

e: omg its free on gog. Bye day.

Not only that, there's an open-source engine.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
It's me.

I'm the asshat who promised an LP update after I got out of college for the semester.

Here's the LP materials to date, with a .sav for version 1.8.4. Accompanying it are two videos, which someone can screengrab from to continue.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kurieg posted:

I just happened to think about this again today and remembered. Old JRPGs used "W" as shorthand for "Double", so W-Item is "Double Item".

It's a Japanese thing; W is generally pronounced ダブル, which is conveniently also how one would write 'double'. So, W became a shorthand for 'double' and space-constrained translations by inexpert localization teams leave it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Cheez posted:

It works grammatically, which is the point but I guess it's just gently caress the English language. Everything needs to be overly wordy just for you because you're just going to assume things that aren't being said. Not my problem.

Hi. Effective communication requires minimizing ambiguity for the audience you're communicating to. Numerous people ITT have said that their interpretation does not align with what the person who wrote the text at issue intended for the interpretation to be. Consequently, that person failed to communicate effectively. You don't need to be overly verbose.

"There are two mushrooms. Use them wisely."

Solved.

• Locked thread