Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yo, got that link to the sloppy joe mac and cheese hamburger?

Listening to this video is making me hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Halfway through the swamp level, did the bottom two pipes go anywhere?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Very interesting, I'm learning a lot more from this LP than I expected. Thanks!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah but it at least would have turned back around into "Okay, that's pretty cool" if the hack let you progress by outlasting those 3 minutes.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

Because people in my own thread asked for it, and why should you guys miss out on quality content?

Rockman CX #10 Special: The Ultraman Goeth

Absolutely fan-loving-tastic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Whelp. That exceeded expectations on how utterly dumb it would get. "So the final boss requires a lot of weapon energy of two particular weapons, what if the player runs out?" "Just have them kill themselves for a restock." "Brilliant! Let's give the boss extra health to compensate though."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Isn't that what coins are for?

This lets you keep a permanent marker. Several levels have had Mario fetch a spring or p-switch and come back to a certain spot later.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

How is that level so high? It's offensively terrible in every possible way besides maybe visuals, and even that's debatable since the sprite replacements are awful from a playing standpoint.

A lot of the "worst" levels just had absolutely nothing going on. No difficulty curve, no interesting sprite work, no flow other than run right. There's clearly work put into this level and creativity too but it just cratered on designing a fulfilling challenge.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Do we have defined rules on how the scoring system should be used or just vague guidelines? (Or worse, just the names of the topics to judge on and nothing else?) Because if there's no concrete method to judging then, yeah, of course judging it going to be sketchy at best. Nothing explicitly says you can't rely on save states during the judging process and what not.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FPzero posted:

Spooky World is starting out nicely enough. Third level had some odd design decisions though and they kind of dragged the level down for me.

Eh, those were all... alright? Like those all hit the perfect level of absolutely lukewarm.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That just makes me think question mark blocks are a naturally forming phenomena that you can just dig up in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

That sewer level ruled.

Yeah, it managed to add in a lot of color without ever making it not look sewer-y. I'm glad the level maker did the sane thing and made the water not instant kill, that little detail made sure everything tied together and was fun without being needlessly punishing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Come to think, Mario games in general don't have much in the way of sewer levels, do they? There was one in SMRPG, I guess, and of course there's pipes all over the place, but not much that you could look at and say "yep, that's a sewer level."

I guess Nintendo is smarter than your average game developer. :v:

Yoshi's Island had a handful, with a lot of claustrophobic tunnels and running water, but Yoshi's Island also isn't really a typical Mario game. Also, they weren't common in the game if I remember right.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FPzero posted:

Finally! The beginning of Best World! The levels here are all generally really good, so get ready for a bunch of pleasant videos as we start to wrap up this LP.

Wow, the quality jump with these two levels alone is absurd.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FPzero posted:

Man both of these levels are so good. We really are in the middle of best world.

That first level hit all the right sweet spots with me. Straight forward but difficult platforming challenge throughout, didn't overstay its welcome, fantastic visuals and music, basically something I could just run through without too much worry. Just like most of the Super Mario World levels, honestly.

The second one was alright but I think I'm just a lot more receptive to standard Mario levels than puzzle-y ones.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

So is the lesson of this episode that the best SMW levels are actually Kirby levels?

Have we had a bad level with Kirby music yet? Hm...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The first place level needed to let go of the auto scroll and just you run free with the star. If you're giving people a string of stars like that, you might as well let them go full speed and enjoy it.

But yeah, chiming in to say the same thing, third level looked to be the best overall.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Out of all of the judges' levels, I'm really wondering about Nimono. I think his or her grades have been the most questionable by a mile. Ninja Boy might also be interesting due to the whole save stating thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mods, rename this thread Let's Play The Court System

I'd like to start the discovery process.

• Locked thread