Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think the level name is supposed to be 'Fez Three" backwards, but he mixed up the R and Es?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well in SMW the fire flower is an extra hit, but then you have to catch the mushroom off the top of the screen, which in some of these romhack levels isn't exactly possible.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

lets hang out posted:

i don't understand this half-burying question mark blocks in the ground thing

This got buried in the pizza talk, but does anyone understand this logic?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FPzero posted:

Yeah, Rescue Mission with its 8 gigantic worlds. I only beat it because I had nothing better to do with my life and I had a map with all the secrets available. You think Redesign is bad? This thing has like 10 different types of doorcap and a 21-part scavenger hunt at the end of it. It's big for the sake of being big. If you want to see the map, click here for an extremely large image.

The best part is that the hack was mediocre at best. It could've been 25% the size and actually been much stronger.

I thought you might be exaggerating but when I was looking for a playthrough online, i found one that was 49 episodes long with each episode varying from 1 to 2 hours in length.

What evil would design such a thing?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

To be fair to FPZero, Bluing is a thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

There was Jazz Jackrabbit, Lemmings, and... what else?

Sonic adventure had some holiday themed cosmetic DLC packs that were difficult to get due to the Byzantine late nineties internet and the way they distributed them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What commercial is your avatar from because it looks amazing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZN9tB7H-Y
I'm reasonably certain that this is the version of Megalovania that the guy used in HOLDTHELINE, mainly because it uses a screenshot from the level as it's placeholder image :v:

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 18, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I believe that's necessary to open up that door and progress to the next plot trigger.

I have to say, I like the neat reflection effect they had going, but I hate when the ground breaks and you go through it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Aw, thanks! :3:

My goal was to make the antithesis of what we got in Other M. :v:

Hence the entirety of the Ridley fight dialog?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tyty posted:

Basically levels made by the people behind JUMP iirc. The reason they picked the moniker swiss is beyond me but I actually think it has to do with this level.

They chewed out someone not part of the "cool kids club" for wanting to use the word swiss in their level name in VLDCX this year and I don't exactly think particularly highly of the design ethos myself. Unfortunately this is the direction SMW level design seems to be trending, so, eh.

Half doors and spike gates just seem especially dickish to me, punishing people who play well while removing any kind of crutch a lucky but unskilled player might have. But judging by the fact that a lot of the harder levels abuse programming oversights it's pretty obvious that they know their audience and play to it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to say Midori's dead. All my time poking at FE hacks has been looking at the Blitz.

It's pretty good.

My fe is a little rusty but those stats are terrible, right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What do W-foo actions do?

I just happened to think about this again today and remembered. Old JRPGs used "W" as shorthand for "Double", so W-Item is "Double Item".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Most of the few notable complete overhauls of classic sonic games were done by the people who ended up working on Sonic Mania. And several of those were necessarily abandoned when they were tapped for such work.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I believe that Freedom Planet also started as a Sonic hack.

There are plenty of sonic fangames that aren't actual romhacks of Sonic. As far as sonic romhacks, I still think Yoshi in Sonic 2 is rather impressive, particularly as they inserted Sonic Advance 3's special stage whole hog, too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Wait Sonic 3 levels followed by S&K levels isn't the intended order?
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete#Zone_Order_Restoration

quote:

Zone Order Restoration

It is commonly understood that Flying Battery Zone was originally intended to be played between Carnival Night and Icecap, but was moved around late in the development of Sonic 3. Sonic 3 Complete features an option to restore it to that position, with a suitably altered night sky, and a further optional change to the indoor colour scheme to match the unused save screen icon from Sonic 3 (which has also been restored). When moving from Flying Battery to Icecap, the snowboard sequence involves the broken exit door from Flying Battery, as was once planned. Mushroom Hill also takes its name from the Sonic 3 level select, Mushroom Valley, and a new transition takes you from there straight to Sandopolis if Flying Battery is moved away from its normal position.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ignis Fatuus is the latin term for Will-o-the-wisps.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

So how exactly is that moon in the 3rd place level vanilla again?

I think it's a pallet edit of Bowser's bowling balls.

Nope, i went and googled the map, apparently it's the hills from yoshi's island 1 mirrored on the x-axis with some air bubbles layered on top of it using the same color pallet for 'craters'.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 15, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FPzero posted:

Time to finish this LP. It's the beginning of the end.

Tyty is still mad about this one. He haaaaates variable Layer 2 scrolling. When specifically asked on the record exactly how much he hates the scrolling, he said, "I absolutely despise it."

Level's not even that long, it's just frustrating and easy to mess up in. It also doesn't help that it was past midnight at this point with no end in sight. And I even cut out a good 10 minutes from this level too.

Augus posted:

That's kinda nauseating to look at
Yes it is, as someone who gets motion sick easily this was getting damned close to setting me off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Probably the best way to implement the secret exit in a level like this would be to use L/R scrolling to have the (?) Orb pop out of a wall somewhere.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

I want an mp3 of that Castle wàaah song. :allears:

Seconded

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Since i just now found out that it's possible to flash the SNES Classic, has anyone tried loading the VLDC onto it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What's the most dickish way that the randomizer can troll you? Putting all the big keys inside of the other big key chests which eventually leads to the book that's necessary for the bow and arrow?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also, I think there's a way into the Dark World without gloves, just beat Agahnim. That should also enable the warp in the Castle Hyrule gate.

That works, however Keysanity almost always makes it so you need to do at least one Dark World dungeon to kill Agahnim.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you talk to the bomb trees they just spout japanese at you so I think the tiles are the same way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FPzero posted:

^^^ I thought Fire Rod could only be used 7 times before draining the bar for some reason. Hm. Still, that's an interesting write up of the magic system!

Now Fairy is my best friend. And we can finally run fast for all the good that does us.

I know you 'don't need' to beat Trinex, but don't you have to kill him to get whatever's on the pedastal?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Mothula is immune to the golden sword in vanilla? :psyduck:

quote:

It inexplicably takes no damage from attack classes 4 and 5 (in human terms,
the Level 3 sword spin attack, the Level 4 sword swing/Pegasus charge, and
the Level 4 sword spin attack). It makes no sense that the Level 1-3 sword
swings would be stronger than the Level 4 sword swing, that the Level 3
spinning attack won't hurt it even though other Level 3 sword strikes do,
or that the Level 4 sword swing and spin attack won't hurt it even though
a drawn Level 4 sword does. This was fixed on the GBA ports, where Mothula
now takes 16 damage from attack classes 4 and 5.

Notably: being knocked back into a spike is apparently a class 4 attack, which is why mothula gets invincibility and takes no damage if you hit him into the spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Randomizer logic won't require you to go into dark rooms without the lantern. So anything on death mountain is out unless you get the flute.

That said, if you get dark world access before flute then it can be anywhere in the dark world you could normally access there.

• Locked thread