Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That spot before the checkpoint felt like an old cartoon where you stopped all forward momentum, then dropped instantaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Never wanted to be a Professor of Chemistry anyway...

I'm sure that no one would expect you to defend a doctoral thesis by humming the first few bars of the Mega Man 2 robot master theme and then filling the health meter.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also the speedball or general shinespark tricks in the GBA games are all just for goodies, not for plot. The trick is never documented or explained but once you know you can store shinesparks by ramming into inclines the window to do is pretty generous.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I saw someone a couple weeks ago do the sister to the keysanity version, the random entrance version. So go into hyrule castle, and you end up in a death mountain cave, the other end might spit you out in kakariko.

Only a few sort of "givens" from what I saw. 1 - places like the altar with the bat, or the hole in the western edge of Kakariko, or the tree hole where you had to fall into it then exit by stairs were part of a small subset of entrances and exits that were sort of tethered together. 2- seems like most of skull woods was where it should be (due to the above thing about entrance and exits being tied together), but the final section of it could be anywhere. 3 - Ganon's tower and the the final Ganon fight are where they're supposed to be, so no luck in speedrunning the thing by managing a seed where you get a sword from your house, silver arrows from the sanctuary, and enter a random cave to find Ganon.

Honestly I don't know which is worse, or more difficult. Probably the entrance randomizer, since all you need to do is forget that you forgot to go in one death mountain cave and whoops, you missed out on a crystal.

e: About the failsafe, that's from the randomizer author, I think. Since in the original you can't enter the dark world without major glitches before you get the mirror. Otherwise you end up at the pyramid (except maybe that first quick jump to the Tower of Hera, don't know how it manages that).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Also what happens if you find an upgraded item and then find the base version of that item? I assume that it doesn't overwrite the better version of the item.

I think earlier versions had each upgrade in its own chest, and in that case you'd keep the best version.

Later versions just make all upgrades tied together, so if for example FP finds the other armor upgrade before he comes back to the library, he'd get the blue mail there and the library would become the red one.

As for how the coding goes, it's probably coded to say what items need to reach a given chest. So a chest in Blind's hideout in Kakariko would be coded to be instantly accessible so at least one of those chests within that pool has to open up the next tier of needing a hookshot, or boots, or some other progress item.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I just found the magic boomerang. Will the normal boomerang overwrite it if I find it?

Same question goes for swords or anything else upgradable, really.

No to both. Magic and regular boomerang toggle because apparently lag for speedrunners. But Armor, Shields and Swords (e: and mitts) will go in sequential order. They're all quantumly entangled or something.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Augus posted:

I forgot if it was the dungeon or the compass but one of those lets you see whether the dungeon contains a pendant or a crystal, iirc. So that's something they're still useful for.

I can't believe the compass (or map) has a new feature. It I hate the Link's Awakening compass with a passion and have blocked the rest of its prattling out of my memory besides that it jingles with a key something that has never happened before in Zelda.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think Misery Mire would be the easiest* to beat via keysanity.

Since I think one key is "optional" at least to complete the dungeon. Of course if the the other key ends up being required to get a progress item, then, welp.

*By virtue of not needing every key to complete, not by actual difficulty curve.

e: also 5/5 for FP laughing to the music when he makes it to the desert palace.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 26, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also Kraden is a huge percentage of that. Both his name and his endless spewtem of words out of his face.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Dark Dawn was a game that would have absolutely kicked rear end if it was released on the PlayStation 15 years prior.

The game was released in 2010 and still played like an early generation 32-bit jRPG.

Also probably suffered from people who knew the score and was buying half a game for the price of a whole one.

I didn't know, or was at least blind to the idea for some inexplicable reason.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I can't say I've sat and watched every race you guys do, but based off the ones I have seen I assume one day you guys are all gonna chip in and get FPZero a plaque that just says "Best at Videogames", right?

Hey I won a race... that FP wasn't in... and I won by default... So I'd better get one that says "Best* at Videogames"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

If you didn't have Cape or Byrna, that makes sense, as you need one of the three logically for the laser bridge.

Logically yes.

Alternatively you need to stradle the edge of the single tile wide platform and pray that you don't fall into the pit and back to the start of the room, or take a hit and get knocked in the pit and have to restart the room.

This is not from spiteful angry experience why do you ask?

• Locked thread