Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Some things I have learned from watching randomizer runs:
  • You can pull on trees to get lesser items (like rupees, arrows, bombs, magic pots, etc.). What items you get depends on how many enemies you've killed (without getting hurt?).
  • You can sprinkle Magic Powder on the antifairies and those weird curse balls (that turn you into your Dark World form). Doing this turns them into fairies.
  • The heart container from Sanctuary is special, in that it refills your health when you pick it up. There's also one item that's just a single arrow, and two that are single green rupees.
  • There's all kinds of weird glitches you can pull off with pushable blocks. Basically they don't exist while being pushed, so you can shoot the hookshot / fire rod through them. Also if you use the Magic Mirror while pushing (and you aren't in a dungeon), they just outright vanish :confused: This lets you short-circuit several puzzles.
  • You can hover over pits, if you have the Pegasus Boots. The timing is very precise, but this makes the boots wholly optional so long as no required progression items are on the library bookshelf or the torches in Desert or Ganon's Tower.
  • Speaking of the boots, the bonk animation makes you jump backwards. This is how you get to the fairy fountain in Ganon's Tower...it also lets you get into Misery Mire without Hookshot, and lets you reach a couple of chests in the "Hookshot Cave" at the top of dark world Death Mountain. Or you could hover if you're a madman.
  • There's a sprite hack that replaces Link with a pug, and it is adorable. :allears: (I've also seen Dark Link, Samus, Bunny Link, and a Touhou character)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

The logic for the Link to the Past randomizer explicitly does not require any major glitches, any damage being taken, or any dark rooms to be traversed without the lantern.

I would go further and say that it does not appear to require any minor glitches either. The only extent to which it requires more skill than the base game is that you may well be required to go into dangerous zones while underequipped...but your equipment should always be enough to finish the dungeon as long as you're good enough at dodging.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
All that guff you're giving the Grapple Beam in Super Metroid, when it's an awesome weapon. It can kill most enemies in 1 hit! Granted that it's utterly useless against the enemies it can't damage, but it's still really useful for clearing out chaff, and there are a lot of chaff enemies in Super Metroid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FeyerbrandX posted:

As for how the coding goes, it's probably coded to say what items need to reach a given chest. So a chest in Blind's hideout in Kakariko would be coded to be instantly accessible so at least one of those chests within that pool has to open up the next tier of needing a hookshot, or boots, or some other progress item.

Yep. Essentially, for each chest you enumerate all the possible ways the player can reach the chest, or rather, what item combinations give them access. For example, the room with three chests in the back half of the Hyrule Castle escape can be reached with the following items:

* Lamp plus Bombs (lamp gets you through the sewers, bombs break the wall)
* Lamp plus Pegasus Boots (through the sewers, dash the wall down)
* Power Glove plus Bombs (fall into the room from the cemetary)
* Power Glove plus Pegasus Boots

Since bombs are always available, you really only need one of glove or lamp to reach the room without sequence breaking.

Other examples of location locks:
  • Armos Knights requires the lamp and the bow.
  • The Fat Fairy requires beating dungeons 5 and 6, plus either the hammer, or defeating Agahnim (IIRC you can save+quit to get the bomb to the light world, if you don't have the mirror)
  • Defeating Agahnim requires the lamp, and either L2+ sword, or the cape.

Once you've done this, you then start allocating items to chests, while making certain that there's always at least one "path" to every item. To pick a simple example, let's say that the waterfall fairy in the Light World has the shovel. That means you need flippers to get the shovel. Let's say that the shovel in turn gives access to the ocarina, which, as you may recall, is required to reach Misery Mire in the Dark World. Then the flippers should not be placed in Misery Mire -- if they were, then there'd be no path to the shovel. So that's an example of an impossible situation to avoid.

I haven't looked at the code for the randomizer, but I expect it works something like this:
  • Pick an item location from the list of locations that the player, with their current gear, can access.
  • Pick a random item from the list of items that have not yet been placed.
  • If this is the last item location in the set currently accessible to the player, instead pick a "progression" item (that will unlock more locations).
  • Put the item in the location. If a progression item was placed, update the list of locations the player can access.

Most of the work of making this possible is in enumerating all the different ways a given chest can be reached.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Xenoveritas posted:

The Digging Game will always have the item in the first 30 digs (and it'll always do the raise over the head animation and fanfare, which is useful if it happens to be otherwise identical to normal prizes, like 20 rupees).

You can also recognize the prize item because it has a wider trajectory when it gets unearthed, compared to normal items which just go a short distance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you get the map for a dungeon, it'll show on the overworld map whether it's a pendant or a crystal. If you get the compass, when you're in the dungeon you can see how many more items you have left to find.

If you want to see high-level play of a Keysanity seed, here's a race with Andy, who participated in the AGDQ (non-keysanity) randomizer race.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Doesn't one of the helmasaurs in Ganon's Tower drop a small key?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, come to think, if you're at 26/27, the very last chest is from Moldorm 2; it spawns after you kill him, so you can hookshot to it and get to Agahnim 2. There's nothing else in the tower, so that chest has to be the 1 remaining thing for you to find. If it's a small key then that's a bug and you're hosed. Does the item counter track keys from pots/enemies?

There's only three items up on torches -- one in Desert Palace, one in Ganon's Tower (but it's super obvious so you wouldn't have missed it), and then the item in the library.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly I'd say the trollier things the randomizer can do are stuff like "you have to beat Mothula with fighter's sword, green tunic, and few hearts / no bottles". Like, sure in theory it can bounce you all over the place and make you double-dip in a bunch of dungeons, but having to do a low-level run in hard areas is pretty drat trolly.

Swordless Arghus (have fun with the menus!) and Blind (tiny hitbox on that hammer) are also not great, for that matter. So yeah, I'd say the most plausible nightmare scenario is putting sword upgrades in the pedestal and behind both tablets (or in similarly hard-to-access areas).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's something oddly satisfying about conquering the Eastern Palace with the red mail, Golden Sword, mirror shield, and the Silver Arrows.

I used to avoid doing any dungeons in the NES Legend of Zelda until I had the white sword and blue ring at minimum, for similar reasons.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Something I've learned from watching randomizer streams is that the mails really aren't as good as they seem to be. The problem is that they don't reduce damage from spikes, fireballs, or (I think) lasers or lightning. Having mail against Blind will only help you from getting bodyslammed by him; it's similarly practically worthless against Mothula. Conversely, it's invaluable against Koldstare and Vitreous.

Vitreous is comically dangerous if you're underequipped. I've been watching people run in circles as this gigantic eyeball bounces along after them, trying to line up a hammer hit without getting bodied for 2 hearts of damage, and of course without getting cornered either. His last phase is trivial if you have the bow and enough arrows (hope you didn't use them all on his smaller eyes!), and nearly so if you have at least an L2 sword, but if you don't, be prepared for pain.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

In fact, the GBA version even changed the puzzle slightly so you can no longer skip it with the Cane of Somaria.

How does that work? You have to push two blocks down the hole to press two different buttons?

And yeah, as a kid I never solved this "correctly". I'd go into Ice Palace for the blue mail, because Misery Mire is such a hole, then go to Mire, then come back to Ice Palace for the crystal.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

I know. I was using that "supposed" in the least literal sense. Regardless, it's a really badly designed puzzle and whoever thought it up should feel bad to this day.

It's more intuitive IMO than the "pull the tongue on the statue" puzzle in the same dungeon. It's just way harder than any of the other puzzles in the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It is possible to loot the chests in Laser Bridge without having any items to deal with the lasers; it requires careful positioning and timing. But it shouldn't be required by the logic, i.e. it's a sequence break.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AweStriker posted:

He does, which means he only has to do that if he needs whatever's on the pedestal, which is not very likely.

I believe they checked the spoiler file to see if there was anything important on the pedestal, and the consensus was "don't bother".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for running the thread, FP! It's been fun.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

While we're here, what exactly does the "GT BIG KEY" stat mean? Also it looks like my flute time stat was bugged too.

In non-keysanity runs, or in keysanity runs where the big key for Ganon's Tower is actually in the tower, it's how many of the items in the lower floors you had to check to find the key.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gold sword is able to harm Mothula in the randomizer hack. That's one of the things they fixed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You should never need to go through a dark room without the lantern. Some spots to check that I could believe you've forgotten: King Zora, Agina's cave (old man in the desert), Desert Palace and the desert ledge, ice rod cave, mini moldorm cave.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Remember to announce your thread in the new LPs thread.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

This "Link to the Past + Super Metroid Crossover Randomizer" looks right up this thread's alley...

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-wild-new-mash-up-of-link-to-the-past-and-sup-1826049172

My god. Science has gone too far this time.

I really want to try to play this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Super Metroid is much more heavily-gated than LttP is, in that e.g. you can have a ton of overpowered crap but if you don't have morphball or bombs you're still not going anywhere outside of the landing site. Whereas in LttP a lot of areas have multiple powerup paths that grant you access to them. Like, access to the Pyramid can be gotten by beating Agahnim, having hammer + gloves, having Titan's Mitts + flippers, and possibly something involving the hookshot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

How come no one brought up the time where Crow literally cheated at Let's Play Paper Scissors Rock because he got mad at people ignoring his posts? And then he was declared the official loser of the entire LP by trying to corrupt the Prisoners Dilemma that was the tie breaker.

This was the best part of the LP, you do realize that, right?

• Locked thread