Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Aerdan posted:

I'm kind of torn between showcasing the current latest edition of FF6 Brave New World or doing some FF6 Beyond Chaos randomizer runs. My concern with the former is that we've seen an earlier version (and some of the script edits and half the hacking team being bad), but at the same time the latter isn't going to be very interesting in screenshot form. Thoughts?

I'd like to see BNW for its mechanics, even though the script is terribly unfunny, and it has the connotations of the one team member and the drama he caused on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Given what happened to the last LP attempt, I suspect that BNW is now de facto banned from SA because any thread about it will devolve into shitposting, no matter how pure the OP's intent.

Which is a shame if true, because the mechanical half of the hack is really, really interesting in the changes and re-balances they made. Like, I would love if someone took out the trash script of BNW and maybe re-inserted one of the official scripts or whatever, and just let people play with the new mechanics.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As a totally different request, what are people's thoughts on the Zelda Classic game maker? Do they count as romhacks? I'm nowhere near good enough at these sorts of games to show them off in an entertaining manner, but there's a lot of interesting stuff out there for that community...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

But you spoke to him after the Eastern Palace and got nothing and received the heart piece after the Desert Palace :confused:

It randomized the pendants so that he got the desert pendant from the eastern palace, and the eastern pendant from the desert.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

hmm. That's super interesting. It's got a lot of good ideas, and a few bad ones (why are randocasts halved from the back row, for instance, or why does gravity element work on flying?).

I have to give the hack credit, they definitely put a lot of thought into reworking everything. Can't wait til we get to the espers and the strategies the re-kajiggering create.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Doseku posted:

If I remember correctly Zelda Classic has been used with LTTP tilesets before. So it's entirely possible to get a LTTP like game out of it. Heck it even has a Megaman game made with it, terrible as it may be.

I've played a tiny bit of that one. What little I played wasn't terrible. The initial sword weapon was kinda terrible and the map was non intuitive, but it started getting fun once I had the buster. I should go back and play that again some time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So today I was toodling around twitch, and in the "retro" category, I found a Russian stream playing a SMB3 hack that looked pretty neat. It looked like it took a bunch of elements from more modern Marios, like the star coins, and the ice power. But as I said, it was a Russian stream, so I have no idea what the hack was. Any ideas?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Welp, there's my 5. :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Simon's breaking wasn't nearly as funny as Pyro's, just saying.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FPzero posted:

The volume on that video is incredibly soft just like the first Reverse 22 video was. I really can't hear what's going on without cranking my speakers to max.

It's mostly your co-pilot that is extra quiet, I would raise her levels if you can next time.

Also, is it a trend in SMRPG hacks for there to be just simply godawful paint jobs that make things almost impossible to distinguish? The last one stuck to just black and white but was still hideous, this one seems to be willing to try out other colors, but a full wash still looks so, so bad.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Every single zelda based lp I've watched, every single one, has the player think they have to do some fancy trick (whether to show off or to progress or whatever) that will bite them in the rear end repeatedly. This button is circlmaster's

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The time limit makes sense for Ultraman. He can't survive in our atmosphere for more than three minutes at a time. Also, he usually ends those three minutes with his big gently caress off laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but the romhacking community, megaman in particular, is incredibly unbalanced. Like, nearly every hack has interesting/clever ideas with poo poo level design. Or well thought out level shapes, and terrible graphics. Or completely unbalanced weapons. etc. etc. I'm not saying these creators are untalented, but they definitely need better constructive criticism, and probably collaborators to even out which parts excel. At the end of the day however, I'm fairly certain most of these are vanity projects made to try to show off how they can make a game as good as Capcom can, and would never even entertain the idea of collaboration, or take any suggestions that aren't hugbox quality.

• Locked thread