Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Prav posted:

he had a bit of weapon energy left when baby bowser dr light went down. gotta make those shots count, i guess.

e: actually no, he had almost nothing of either. so there's just barely enough to do it on one life.

He did waste quite a bunch of paper shots to invincibility frames, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

FPzero posted:

It's really surprising how effective that simple animation was. Atmosphere is hard to pull off in an engine like this but man, sometimes it just works.

You say you can't jump on the bats, but you just did in the video. Also that's Michael Rosen's "nice". He's a meme.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

It really seems like everything was made yellow to avoid digging into the palettes of everything else, but I don't think it worked.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Why are we dragging Ninjaboy through the dirt so much for using savestates, when the real issue was with Nimono actually lying about scoring entirely just because a level was hard?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

Nimono made a few really stupid calls, but Ninjaboy is just constantly an idiot and a terrible judge that drags everything down.

As something that didn't appear to come up in the thread, I'm really missing something here, on account of not being a part of that community.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

This doesn't line explain people tossing out lines like "just constantly an idiot and a terrible judge that drags everything down" unless there's some crazy elitism in the community, and I'd like to think such statements actually have a solid foundation.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I can see that nobody is actually going to actually step up and justify the Ninjaboy mudslinging and I can safely disregard any opinions from anyone doing so. Fancy!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

This is going in circles. There's no point to any of this.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

This is what I'm looking for, yes. It's nice when someone shows the rest of us what the grounds are for things like this. It's more information than just "he uses savestates and ignores the difficulty" provides.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

I don't know why you need people to exhaustively defend their gut feelings to you. Several people consistently find his ratings to be too high. Why do you need charts and citations for that. Are you ninja boy?

Namecalling on that level kind of requires something to back it up when there's someone else who's been explained to have flat out lied, the worst thing you can do as a judge, and gets a very lenient treatment. I'm sorry for not being crazy enough to let the double standard slide.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Mysticblade posted:

I recognise the song in the 2nd level but I can't quite name it. Anyone know it?

Also tyty, update your lp and i'll update midori

Mantis42 posted:

Do you mean the Carol of the Bells, the famous Christmas song?

More specifically, it's a version of the song from Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995. I can't believe the era of making holiday special editions of games to promote the real deal is dead.

Also, it looks like the reason the switch position changed is that the previous area required you to hit the switch to a certain position by the end of the entire segment, but the default position of the switch between lives and starting levels isn't the same. if they added one more switch to hit before it ended, the second area would be consistent.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Could it have been the way it was originally when submitted, and the rest was just a quick fix while the rest of the level was left "as is"? I've already forgotten what you said about it in the video.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

A couple of those kill doors in the previous update actually made sense, since the meatballs/metroids could be considered to be "powering" the door lock in their enclosed spaces.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Oh, Heavy Sigh, I tossed you a message over Youtube about your LP but I just realized I probably shouldn't trust its functionality these days. If it didn't go through, I have no idea how else to contact you about something. Wasn't anything urgent, but there was something I thought I'd ask about anyway.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Fun maybe-fact: I believe hard mode's revenge bullets create more revenge bullets if you try to get clever and use recycle inhaler on them. This is doubly hilarious when the "official" settings for hard mode (not custom set to hard) disables item drops and you've probably gotten used to using rush and recycle for all your pickups to this point.

Normally though, the shmup stage is pretty easy with any weapons that have a range of angles to fire at, like dive man's.

Also in response to all the people who've been saying things like "I don't get why..." to the romhacker's decisions... Well, if it isn't obvious by now, the romhacker really loves Kirby and Gradius. Maybe to a fault. Hell, bright man's weapon is a reference to that. To a lesser degree, he's also a final fantasy fan, as evidenced by the Toad magic, but depending on what Heavy Sigh wants to do later, there'll be some more evidence for that as well.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Augus posted:

2) Rush Jet is slower and clunkier than Balloon.
But you don't get access to weapons when you have the balloon out anyway, and the entire point is for it to be not as good for maneuvering as the balloon.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know what's stopping you from dodging now. I got along just fine even on my first time around.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I really don't see the problem with the level that makes it worth all the yelling. The gimmick is well put together and doesn't look hard to play either. One of you got really mad about the idea of having to backtrack a tiny bit to continue onwards after screwing something up... But how different is that from screwing up a normal thing and having to walk back a little? It's really just not as bad as you want it to be. There was ONE section that had a bit of a hangup because it wasn't very easy to move.

Fun is a subjective thing. You're averse to something that would be fun to many other people. That does not make it unfun. In this video alone you've complained about every single application of layer 2 obstacles. It's not the levels, it's you.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Because deciding you are always right and it's everyone else who is wrong always goes well.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

And I'm going to say it again, there's only really one point in the level where the gimmick was working against playability.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Oh no, i'm such a hypocrite for daring to say that the level doesn't deserve to be shitcanned just because it isn't your bag. I'm so terrible. God, what's wrong with you people?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Inco posted:

The level deserves to be shitcanned because it's prone to breaking and blocking the player off, as well as being visually disorienting.

The first thing I only saw happen to them once and was fixed by walking back through the level just a bit. Oh no. The second is something that can be.. Dare I say it with the romhack police around... Fun???

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

...???

Have...have you had a rough day? You seem to be very upset that some people did not enjoy this level.
If you've been paying attention, it's about the fact people are overreacting about such a simple thing.

You know what, nevermind. Oh kings of romhacks, I bow down to you and your superior ideas about what is fun and not fun. Clearly there can be no other opinions.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

the upward rushing platform segment seems incredibly janky
That was the one I actually took issue with. You can't fix those, so there's no point in doing it that way.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Geemer posted:

Cheez has bad opinions and gets belligerent when people don't agree. News as 11.

The only good part about this level was the secret exit having a hint.

I think it's a real shame these judge levels weren't judged by the other judges and scored (anonymously).

Hello, pot.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Sure, live in your own little world where your replies are perfect and don't have any hostility to them.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Heavy Sigh posted:

Dirty water level
I feel as if that section with the "greyscale" water isn't intended, because I've never seen it like that and I'm aware that there's multiple versions of the rom because one doesn't play nice with certain emulators. I've never seen the glitchy lines, either. The way I remember it, it was orange-ish water like before, but each screen was "clearer" than the previous one.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That was at the start of the level, when Megaman is running through the poo water.
No, I'm talking about the second part. I guess THAT could be the bug, but I was using the rom for the emulator I was running, so I can't really say.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

FPzero posted:

Not to mention it means that even if you use a safety mushroom and get through a segment without getting hit, you'll lose the safety mushroom permanently because there's no way to keep it between segments. What a good filter.

I don't know, it looks like they have the system to be set up similar to how it is when you go between the levels and the map in this hack. Then if something is giving you trouble and you're tired of trying to get through it without help you just hit a box for a mushroom.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Prav posted:

staff invasion would've been improved immensely by just splitting it into nine levels
I may be wrong on this but I think the whole deal is that this is possible in vanilla? Doesn't really change how the execution feels, but maybe it's supposed to be really interesting on that level instead of on playing it.

Dragonatrix posted:

When a thing says 2 mushrooms for all, I imagine that most people generally think that means 2 mushrooms for all. Not 2 mushrooms for the first one you do.
Wouldn't that be "each" then? And what would be the point of telling people to use the mushrooms wisely if you were just able to grab another 2 every time you tried? The choice of words is really not the problem with it. The issue is more that they probably should have avoided emergency mushrooms and added some extra guidelines for the people designing the staff invasion sections to prevent them from becoming necessary anyway.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Im using the recommended emulator for the rom, so idk what would be causing it.
Fair enough. I suppose that means mine was the bugged one with different looking water.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

The sticking point is that the level takes away the mushrooms after each segment, which is in no way suggested by the wording. You don't get the mushrooms for "all" segments, you get the mushrooms for "up to 2" segments.
If someone told you that you only have two sandwiches to eat for all of the days you're locked in the basement, do you have two sandwiches every day or two sandwiches period?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Dabir posted:

I dunno man, when you eat a sandwich to stop being hungry today are you just as hungry tomorrow as if you never ate? No? Well that's a stupid analogy then.
It works grammatically, which is the point but I guess it's just gently caress the English language. Everything needs to be overly wordy just for you because you're just going to assume things that aren't being said. Not my problem.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

XavierGenisi posted:

Having nothing but Sniper Joes in all of their incarnations as a level theme is a garbage idea, but man, that second half more than makes up for it. Being able to run amuck with the walkers and other joe vehicles is a rather cool and fun gimmick.
It helps that pretty much every weapon tears through any kind of joe in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I still regret not being able to provide that arena footage, don't know if spoilering matters anymore but i'll keep doing it, but I seriously have no idea where it all went. Great LP though, haven't seen one that comprehensive since the early versions of the game.

• Locked thread