Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013
This is great. There are so many cool hacks nowadays. There's a bonus donation incentive for super metroid rotation hack at AGDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
For anyone who would like to see sm rotation at agdq.....

everyone Feral will be running during Setup Block 2, which, as of right now, is scheduled for 2:43 PM (edt) on Tuesday.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 2 - It's Not a Happy Place :siren:

In this episode, we discover new horrors lurking on Mt. Koltz! Also, I keep talking about the seed I generated for playing on the go, and if I come across something particularly funny, I'll post it here in the thread. Without any further ado:

Mobile Seed Interlude

In this video, we saw a neat little variant in the Shadow stand-in's introductory fade to black: Interceptor was able to share the spotlight! But, I wonder.. what if Interceptor hogged the spotlight all for himself?

"That's SHADOGE...! He'd slit his mama's throat for a beggin' strip!"

Now, I may have cleaned this image up a little bit, but this actually did happen! I decided to take the time to clean out the button interface, since I felt it was a little distracting :v:. Any future mobile screenshots I may take ought to actually come out in SNES resolution, since it turns out there's a screenshot function I can use that's built into the app.

I'm really enjoying this. Please keep doing them.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

I don't think it's possible to randomize the silver arrows, because if you throw the regular bow and arrows into the fat fairy fountain and get a completely different item back, you lose the bow completely.

AFAIK the creator of the randomizer just manually created pools of items that could possibly be in each location and adjusts what items are in what pools to try to prevent most unwinnable states, but it's clearly a balancing act because it is clearly set out to encourage sequence breaking and glitch exploitation to get around certain things. And you can always beat Ganon from the start of the game so long as you have the fire rod or lantern, if you use major glitches.

I know the super metroid randomizer has a lot of checks built in but it is many versions in at this point. It is theoretically impossible to get an unwinnable seed.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

Don't worry, I certainly found it interesting. I love learning about the nitty-gritty of old game engines and hardware architectures (like that Atari games LP someone did last year).

Do you have a link to that LP I can't find it

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

So FPzero, what is your name on SMWcentral? I never thought you were such a prominent figure in the super mario world hacking community.
I just want to see the posts you made on the original VLDC, that is why I am asking, since you are already so entertaining.

This is a very oddly worded question.

liquidypoo posted:

This is a long one, folks. Hope you're ready to watch a 50 minute episode! :shepface:

I really, really wanted to apply some speedup somewhere to alleviate the video length, but the most I would have been able to do is shorten a two minute segment, which I honestly didn't find worth it. Sabin Hato's scenario doesn't really have any good cut points!

I watched every second glued to my screen.

Well, I was working on a spreadsheet, but I had it on on my phone with headphones for every second!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I really enjoyed that minor key remix.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Agreed. It's optional and has a reward commensurate to the difficulty and inconvenience of getting to it. Sounds fun.

These, on the other hand, sound painful. You'd wonder if the people who make these romhacks ever actually play them, because this seems like the kind of thing you'd rather quickly realize is unfun.

Probably the kind of people who enjoy things like low% ice and such.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

Tyrian had a whole Christmas mode if it was near Christmas.

:siren: ALERT: Christmas has been detected :siren:
Activate Christmas? (Y/N)

It did? Man I played the hell out of that game and never found that.

Now I have to find a way to play it on my macbook.

e: omg its free on gog. Bye day.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So I don't like or play Super Mario World.

However I have watched 41 episodes of this. Please keep up the good work.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Let's go ahead and wrap this thing up before I go on vacation.

Part 9: Get Paid First

I'm not sure I entirely agree with all of the references DMantra added to this hack, but I have to admit they do make the ending sequence quite unique.

I'd like to give a special shout-out to this comment:

Does that thing you did count towards completion percentage or effect the ending in any way?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uh...I don't actually know! If I had to guess, I'd say the door out of that room is locked otherwise, but I admit I've never checked. And unfortunately it's rather difficult for me to go and check now.

Do you actually have to turn off plasma and wave or was that just for emotional impact?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

You should LP it so we can all learn more about it.

(also I can confirm it's real good)

This is all fact.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

If I had any ideas for a second Super Metroid LP that I thought had any kind of legs, I'd definitely consider it; Hyper Metroid is one of the best hacks out there (I guess my top 3 would probably be Eris, Hyper, and uhhhh Phazon?).

But I don't. :shrug:

I mean a genericly commentated play through would work for hyper. Doesn't need to be fancy.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Ah, good to know. It's usually easy to recognize music used in mods and whatnot because people tend to rely the most popular tracks.

Also: :lol:

I'm confused why was he probed?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
As someone who reads this thread, I would enjoy more content of this type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Hadn’t checked in on this thread in a while but now that it’s winding down there is a dedicated zelda/rando thread in games.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854609&perpage=40#post483254724

Aaaand a discord! There are some goons in the current tournament we are cheering on and we do weekly seeds in the thread as well.

https://discord.gg/Pt5xbp4

• Locked thread