Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This thread got me interested in trying FF6 Beyond Chaos myself, and I thought I'd share some highlights from my game. I used the partyparty code for more sprite randomization, and opted out of randomized item stats and blitz inputs since I didn't want to make things needlessly hard on myself, but otherwise went with the default settings.

Turns out I needn't have worried, because my Terra is an absolute beast. One piece of endgame-tier equipment, Lore (with CleanSweep learned by default), natural Magic, and R-Phys, which as you'd expect generates a random physical attack. It seems to favor Quadra Slam/Slash, and has yet to trigger a move that harms me.

I decided not to go with the default anime names, but to stay in the spirit of the hack.

The brief and unlikely situation in FF6 where taking steps after battle is your only source of healing.

Locke's a purple Imp, and the moogles are a coven of elderly Celeses...

Edgar's a dingy Gogo...

...and Relm could not possibly have ended up in a better role.

Some quality enemy names. Fric has Tools, and Chany has Blitz, so it looked like I was all set to steamroll through the early game.

The secret basement in South Figaro where you normally find the RunningShoes had a monster-in-a-box who gave me the first party wipe of the game. It one-shotted me with Aqua Rake.

Interceptor's sidekick is Laser Lemon Locke. I had high hopes for him, which of course meant he would end up having almost no redeeming qualities.

Also, I'm loaded. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any phoenix downs since Figaro Castle, where I only had the foresight to buy one. This one gets used on the Lete River, where there's a tanky holy elemental enemy (so, healed by AuraBolt) who likes to repeatedly cast Ice on my whole party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TATZP1JTAaI
The Ultros fight almost goes very badly, but I get by just because my damage output is so high. Banon is my only outright terrible party member so far, but at least he's another Item user. Aside from the occasional lucky Sun Bath, tonics are my only source of healing in battle. I don't even have Lagomorph as all the Slot skills have been randomized too. It's been replaced by Revenge. :downsbravo:

More enemy names. The chicken-centipede is Hill Bus, which is simply adorable.

I was so impressed by Owne that I neglected to notice he was accompanied by two of the guys who annihilated me with Aqua Rake earlier. That happened again, I load state... aaaand I'm back at the start of Lete River with my save file overwritten. Fantastic.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Been meaning to ask—I can't remember which levels it's come up in, but what exactly are you talking about when you criticize a level for cutoff?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

liquidypoo posted:

Did you call it quits there, or soldier on? I'm curious to see if you got any W - [ability] skills on future characters.

My Cyan had W-Ice but I didn't really get a chance to play around with it. Since you're interested, I'll at least play back to that point to show it off, though.

I haven't decided if I want to call it quits yet—not because it would be that much trouble to get back to where I was, but because I'm really tempted to start over and see if I end up with something even cooler.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 18, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Second FF6 Beyond Chaos attempt—already way better than the first. :allears:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So does Ice Cutting Site work on the principle that everything in the same vertical position loads simultaneously, and is thus synchronized, the same way it is in Mario Maker? Or is there more to it than that?

Also, is it possible in vanilla SMW to make a level where the autoscroll speed changes within the same area? If so, there's a level that can't be done in Mario Maker that I'm dying to create.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 27, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Honestly, if I had judged this, I think all of those top 3 levels would have made my top 10. Even with all the "irregularities" this ended up less contentious than I thought it would be.

My #1 pick would possibly have gone to something like Dry Ice or Nightswimming, because I just love that "same area but something's changed" design so much. Dry Ice explored the gimmick in more depth and had some really clever puzzles, but Nightswimming was aesthetically flawless and so artfully subtle that you don't even notice that's what it's doing until it does it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's probably a bad sign that the main thing I took away from judge world is that I really want to make my own level based on layer 2 fuckery and inflict it upon people. Something more benign and functional than that, though.

New thread title is nice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I've got it. A level with one square of vine block coming out of the ceiling, which follows you through the entire level.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Not sure if wishing you could've ended on a high note means the last level is going to suck or if it's just the credits or something, but I wanted to say that this was one of my favorite LPs of all time, and I hope you guys do something else SMW-related, even if it's not VLDC10.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Jade Rider posted:

Apologies if it's been asked before, but what are some other good SMW romhacks out there? I got an itch to play some after watching the VLDC LP.

Super Demo World and Second Reality Project Reloaded were the big ones from back in the day, but I haven't paid much attention to romhacks in years, so I'm curious about this too.

I see VLDC 1, 7, and 8 also have collaboration hacks. How do they compare to this one?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 6, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Not really about the romhack itself, but watching this has made me realize that as much as I loved DKC1 and especially 2 back in the '90s, I can't remember a single specific level that I loved from either game. I only recall the ones that really frustrated me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The DKC2 levels that are burned into my brain are Red-Hot Ride, Haunted Hall, and a certain other level I'm convinced must be a collective suppressed traumatic memory, or else the level people are actually thinking about when they say they hated Bramble Scramble. I can't wait to see what the DKC2 Lost Levels creator has done with it.

File Bramble Scramble, Web Woods, and Animal Antics under levels that I vaguely remember and am pretty sure I replayed because I liked them rather than because I kept missing a bonus.

Edit: Also, Artix, I found and watched your whole DKC3 LP, and started your Tropical Freeze LP only to quit because holy poo poo I have to play this.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 8, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I don't think Beyond the Beyond had automatic retargeting either, and Golden Sun is basically a more refined version of that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
This is the first seed I've tried myself, and while I'm still very early on, it looks like it's going to be an interesting and challenging one: http://vt.alttp.run/h/0kGZklzbMm

Gimmick spoiler: I found the fire rod and 1/2 magic before any other offensive items besides bombs.
Item locations: 1. Fire Rod is in Lost Woods. 2. 1/2 Magic is in the sage's room near Eastern Palace.

Question because I'm stuck: Finding the lantern will give me that light cone, and I shouldn't have to go through any dark room until I have it, correct? The only progression items I have are the Moon Pearl and the first glove, I have almost no keys (2 to castle tower, 1 to dark palace), and I can't figure out how to progress without going through a dark room, unless there's a Dark World portal accessible to me that I don't remember.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 17, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Thanks. It was actually an even more obvious spot than any of those that I forgot, and it's extremely clear where I need to go next now.

Edit: Also maybe forget what I said about this being a challenging run, lol.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I still haven't quite finished up my run, but late in the game it pulled some interesting tricks, like having to get the Green Pendant from Turtle Rock to give to Sahasrahla in exchange for the Ether medallion (needed to enter Misery Mire).

I noticed early on that the hammer was in the lumberjacks' cave, and it's interesting how much you can infer about the game's structure based on that alone.

Also a hilariously disproportionate number of important items (boots, second glove, flippers, and mirror) were in that southeast section of Death Mountain you need the hookshot to reach, and the first bottle was in Ganon's Tower.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 27, 2018

• Locked thread