Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
is the early 80s film "heartbeeps" cyberpunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fredflonston posted:

Instead we got beefy Caucasians with guns.

turns out the rednecks would just play “king of the neighborhood”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

checking in to the grim meathook future with the vaporwave wardrobe

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i gotta be honest, from a purely visceral standpoint i'd think people would be a bit more discerning about what they shoot in their eyes versus anywhere else

eyeball tattoos and implants are a thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

cargo khaki shorts eh?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

what about that bitcoiner who ran a pet sanctuary in Second Life and who wanted to buy an old theater to show Disney cartoons "after getting a Creative Commons license"

surely he has some thoughts on this topic

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

johnny fice aces is a playable character

check out this loving album cover. one of the soundtrack songs is being removed because of a copyright issue so it'd be worth checking out soon

what's the album? is it the brigador ost or something else, because I'm not finding it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's sold as dlc for the game, no idea if it's on bandcamp or whatever

ah OK, time to get game

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

what entirely makes this image is the Cyrillic

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

check out the "black hole travel agency" books, they were vaguely cyberpunk in the way they were vaguely either parodying-or-not many other SF subgenres

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

west corea best corea

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

buy him a running man dvd laserdisc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

communism bitch posted:

One of the specialty professions within archiving is palaeography - people who can pick apart ancient languages and ancient handwriting while also interpreting the (often mystefying) structure and meaning of old documents. In the future i like to imagibe you're gonna get digital palaeographers who maintain racks of centuries old hardware and are fluent in loving Ruby or Python and can piece ancient code back together from fragments. :awesomelon:

This is already happening, the Internet Archive is the hub of a lot of it as are museums like the Living Computer Museum + Labs and the Computer History Museum.

Their overall strategy for preservation is to keep data live while replicating it to many sites and upgrading hardware basically nonstop; I want to say that their price tag to endow 1TB of live storage indefinitely is on the order of US$1K.

They're also working hard to preserve software. For example, they had a lot to do with the emscripten JavaScript port of MAME to run emulators directly in the browser, so old systems' software can be experienced without the need for hardware.

They've even been involved in some of the organized efforts to produce "clean" cracks of old copy protection schemes, since those get in the way of preservation. (See the great work 4AM has been doing breaking Apple II copy protection schemes, for both games and educational software.)

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're also involved with the development of magnetic flux transition reading tools like KryoFlux and the new AppleSauce, since they make it possible to separate archiving from cracking (which lets the copy protection itself be preserved as it's an important artifact too, of course).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

hmm. this is kinda neat. can i endow a block of storage and put my name on it? and do i get to pick what gets archived?

"this is the Sagebrush Collection, a thousand gigabytes of vaporwave GIFs and pictures of pretty girls with motorcycles"

I'm pretty sure you can do all three together right now by basically donating them an archive along with the money to store it indefinitely, so you could do The Sagebrush Collection

I don't know whether you can endow storage and put your name on it though, like "this random classic Mac manual scan is provided courtesy The Eschaton Fund, visit eschaton.fund to learn more" but that might be an interesting idea for them to increase donations

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

schranz kafka posted:

when i did the audiobook of Hyperion, they had several narrators to do each of the substories and there was one where the character encounters another major character, who is a woman he becomes involved with sexually, and the narrator did both of their voices except he did her voice in a bad falsetto, and then did both of their voices when they were doing sex and it was one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard

the sex in Hyperion was epically bad to begin with, this made it hilarious cringey fun when my wife & I listened

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

A single bacterium is hundreds of times larger than an SSD's memory cell

yeah but there'll need to be a lot of them for error correction and wear leveling

also hopefully such drives can be terraria that only need energy from the outside, rather than be open and require periodic watering and facing risk of algal and fungal infections

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

a black market in drives that can…increase…their storage over time because they're taken and sold prior to the final sterilization

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

being unable to use certain hardware combinations because of immune system response

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maybe it’s actually a way to securely exfiltrate secrets from a heavily patrolled zaibatsu lab

the question is, how did it get in there in the first place

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I think that’s Sushi-K

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

If the F-35 is literally just a missile bus why not just do it from a pod installed in the bomb bay of a B-52 or an AWACS or something? You could have better electronics and a whole lot more missiles that way?

because then there wouldn’t be fighter jockeys

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

this is how the f-15/f-16 relationship turned out. the f-16 was originally supposed to be a point defense interceptor!

fortunately we’re this >< close to Trump unilaterally awarding that contract to Микоя́н и Гуре́вич with no opposition from his party

:911: :ussr:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

communism bitch posted:

I've had two of these and the lovely, cheap plastic armature that supports the unit on your headset snapped on both of them within a few months of very delicate usage. You can order replacements, but they're so ridiculously fragile that it's only a matter of time until they fall apart. Eventually I couldn't be bothered with the hassle anymore and consigned it to a crate in a closet and went back to mouselook.

just make a nice robust armature out of some metal

you have access to a metal shop right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

that looks a lot like the plasma displays that the PLATO terminals used

unlike the electroluminescent displays that the GRiD Compass systems in “Aliens” used

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

also you can fix the dead pixels if you really really want to

Why would there be dead pixels? It’s designed to the exacting standards of Soviet high technology!

(Someone in Ukraine has several for US$22 each, so tempted…)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

true, soviet technology is eternal

omg though 22 bucks is nothing. i guess shipping is 50 on top tho lol

looks like shipping is only another $22

I may need a couple of these

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

people on the IRC channel where I idle complaining that all the displays are bought, lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

can't wait to get these displays and make them display a bunch of useless information around my house

Soviet EL Display Project Thread

someone translate that to Russian tia

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I got a shipping notice for mine today :toot:

same

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

not gonna lie all the black cats ive petted are super chill and fun, shame on people for not wanting chill fun cats

amen to that, our sweet boy Simon was the coolest chillest bro, and I still miss him every day

our new boys Bean & Froggey, who have been with us just under a year, are just all around beautiful and awesome too, and delight everyone lucky enough to meet them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

400%

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

the sky above the port was the color of a butt, opened to an empty void

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

smoka alt spotted

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

have you seen Cathode?

they have an iOS version too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone’s fetish spotted

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sweevo posted:

print-on-demand means its basically zero risk to the publisher. and certain publishers will basically take anything

i'll bet a lot of it is vanity published too

is the John Ringo stuff vanity published or is there a real publisher willing to back it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I’m HUMMUS 10

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

lol at those milquetoast security bots, if they really wanted to keep undesirables away they should at least commit to the idea of being bastards and unleash scaled up versions of this fucker

ban for anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Minnesota Mixup posted:

the HUD in my car works great and now i wish all cars had them as options, its from 2012 tho

same

Audi?

• Locked thread