Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the exact brief for this picture was "nagel but we don't want to pay nagel or get sued by him"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the worst military sci fi I ever read was the heritage trilogy [only made it 1.5 books though] by ian douglas

it had everything the typical milsf reader craves
  • absolute worship of the us marines also america is still a country [the only remaining country besides china iirc]
  • cowardly un peacekeepers led by the french
  • an a-team style raid to save the day using improvised weapons [in this case cans of beer used to make the cowardly blue hats think the marines had explosives]
  • the us tries to destroy the us by dropping an asteroid on it but nuclear weapons save the day [but chicago is destroyed but there's lots of those people there so who cares]
  • the us eventually defeats the entire rest of the world in a war

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

communism bitch posted:

I honestly don't know how cheap and bad scifi genre fiction gets published any more. Is there really a market out there for paperback books that aren't Harry Potter blockbusters?
I got the impression the arse had really fallen out of the genre fiction business, and it can't be much of a living when everybody pirates everything.

this was 10+ years ago

also I'd guess the typical military sci fi buyer is waaay older than anyone who grew up on harry potter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the extra large arrow keys are :discourse:

• Locked thread