Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

angry_keebler posted:

here are some items we will need for the upcoming year

Great thread! I'm going to grab me a pair of those shades. My only problem is they don't come in chrome. I might have to mod them with one way mirror film for maximum cyber.

Here is a sign in my city that recently got replaced and I'm sad to see it go. It was super dystopian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

in fact they do come in chrome. how do i know? because i built this. it doesn't look super chromey here (you need bright light on the outside) but trust me, it is.

i am so ready for the cyberpunk future

Nice! Are the lights static or do they move/blink?

If you like doing mods you might want to grab a roll of this stuff. I use it when I have to do visors for costumes and it works really well. Here is an in progress shot of some lenses I was making for a gas mask.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Today I met a girl named Trinity who went on to tell me she had two brothers named Xander and Xavier.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"Judged by what you say and think not by what you look like"

Welp, the 80s can't be right 100% of the time.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Cross posting from the political toons thread:

Technowolf posted:

Maki Naro thinks were living in a cyberpunk dysptopia.
Preview:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

in fact they do come in chrome.

I just checked the listing and they were out of the rainbow shades but now have chrome! I'm guessing the listing changes with availability.

Today I blew someone's mind when the AI that lives in my deck popped up to tell me it was time to leave the office giving me the best route and estimated drive time.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Holy poo poo they are SO chrome!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Told ya

Now build a cylon eye into it and we can be cyberpunk mirrorshade bros

Looks like I got some projects to work on.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

My AI personal assistant recommends the Drive soundtrack. She knows me well.

https://youtu.be/MV_3Dpw-BRY

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Bit of a derail but what is the goon collective's opinion of the live action Ghost in the Shell movie based on what we've seen in the previews?

edit: drunk posting typo corrections

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 10, 2017

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

My fear is not the white washing but the ham fisted fan service. I suspect they are going to just drop random scenes from the most popular versions of the GitS catelogue that are totally out of context and stripped of their original significance. For example, in one of the previews they show the scene from the original movie of the Major waking up in her apartment. In the 1995 animated movie that scene brilliantly setup the themes and ideas of the movie using interesting visual metaphors. The live action movie, I fear, is just going to throw it in there and be all "Hey remember this scene from the movie?! Wasn't that cool?!"

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 10, 2017

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply my worry is over canon. What worries me is lifting whole scenes from one movie and crowbaring them into a different movie just to pander to some target audience usually results in the movie being a trash heap. That said, I'm actually really impressed by the original stuff that is being showcased.

On the topic of fanservice, I find the cyborg scenes very uncanny valley and not in any way sexual which is probably hopefully on purpose. It could be a really good effect or it could ruin the movie entirely.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

bump_fn posted:

from a few pages back but music box is doing a midnight showing of this tonight & tomorrow

https://www.musicboxtheatre.com/films/hardware

Wtf does "A love letter to Generation X’s cultural holocaust of the Baby Boomers’ legacy" mean? That is some amazing purple prose though.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i dunno, i think it's pretty self explanatory if you've ever seen hardware

I have not but now I desperately want to! It seems it is not on any of the normal web channels nor anywhere in meatspace. I can get it in the black net but I want the creators to get their cut. Good microsoft ain't cheap after all. Suggestions?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

infernal machines posted:

well, ithink the first place i'd look is the worlds largest digital marketspace. it's a bit obscure, but one of the boosters in the back can probably point you in the right direction

Well poo poo. When I checked earlier it said it was out of stock. What a happy turn!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Grimy you say? :science:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I figured out what happened. I was looking at the multi format which are out of stock.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

xposting this cyberpunk af grandpa

The Russian poster behind him featuring souless empty husk people really makes it.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

:perfect:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

the cyberpunk future will truly arrive when seeing the sky is a quaint notion

There is a manga called "Blame!" where the entire planet has been transformed into one giant megastructure filled will mutants and genocidal robots. There is no concept of sky, no idea of what ground is, just endless metal panels, wires, and pipes. It's almost all wide shots of the inside of the megastructure with really impressive amount of detail. It is also bleak.

Here is a sample.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

er uh

like actual hunger games held in a stadium in russia?

:airquote: reality-TV :airquote:

http://nypost.com/2017/03/09/a-real-life-hunger-games-is-coming-to-russia/

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

frankly the "ISPs can sell your browsing history to other companies" story is much more cyberpunk .

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/technology/personaltech/crossing-the-border-heres-how-to-safeguard-your-data-from-searches.html

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Oh yeah. If the state wants your data the state will have your data. I merely linked this because the fact that the state is confiscating personal data at boarder crossing is more proof we've landed square in the dystopian nightmare future.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

SpaceAceJase posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/T1vLm

I need more cyberpunk in my life

Whatever FMV game that is I want it and I want it yesterday

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Went to the mall yesterday and saw these beautifully cyberpunk displays.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

angry_keebler posted:

i have zoomed and enhanced the reflection and now i know all of your personal details, like how you own a green tshirt

drat you insanely high resolution camera that is a mundane feature on all mobile devices! :argh:

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 1, 2017

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

is that what a cybershop looks like these days? theres too much 3d + massage for me to call it cyberpunk imo

Fair. It was the displays that got me. I never in my life expected to see a full wall display for a virtual reality device in a random shop in the mall. Also, wtf is with the $145 cat ear headphones?

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 30, 2017

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

true

also thanks for reminding me about this

https://youtu.be/Ik9jKAxYxfw

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

More confirmation we live in the bad timeline.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

That was awesome! Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's the latest DDees:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

On the subject of things inside Russian shopping malls:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Adidas aren't nearly as popular as they used to be though. Now it's American brand jeans and Converse All-stars. Hipsters are a big thing especially in St Petersburg. I also spotted a disturbing number of mullets on the metro. :shrug:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-ai-ms-pac-man-highest-all-time-score-2017-6

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Johnny Five Aces powered down the magnabike with a not quite unhearble hum and checked his chronometer. "drat." he hissed threw his clinched teeth which were surrounded by the stubble of five days where in he had not shaven himself at all. It was almost chromodawn at Clashpoint. Alreddy the sun was sitting Walliston's Hill ah blaze like so much molten meddle or a coin, gyreating in the air, tossed there by the uncaring hand of an imaginary god that doesn't exist, borne from the interior minds of the hobbled masses. The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange. drat, he, Johnny, thought. We thought we were opening a new beginning with our mad dreams of time travail but ironically the only time now is the time of which we're out of. It's almost humorous. Yeah, I could almost laugh, if I hadn't cried that part of me away when my parents were maccasared by Dr. Malaprop and the government sanctioned murderers of "CAPITAL".

He lit a Nicosheen brand swaggerette and took a dip drag, sinking farther into his inferior horologue. He thought of Nina and her mellifluous buttocks that he used to love to bang. Even now his nano enhanced hearing could almost hear her vagina lips quivering with moisture and also pleasure, like a slice of synth-ham being tongued by one of Malaprop's slamhounds. When he got back to City5, he was going to do some sex, no doubt about that. "That's right doll" he said to nobody and the wind. They were going to do it hard. He smiled, blowing smoke from his nostrils. They were going do it cyber hard.

That was amazing. :golfclap:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

A bit of old news but I think it is cyberpunk AF. Nothing screams cyberpunk like the possibility of PMCs completely taking over combat operations in an occupied foreign country.

"According to a new report from the New York Times, the White House asked Erik D. Prince, the founder of the private military firm Blackwater, and Stephen A. Feinberg, the billionaire owner of DynCorp International, to use contractors instead of U.S. troops in Afghanistan."

https://thinkprogress.org/blackwater-trump-afghanistan-strategy-4a35c39b277/

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

When you want to do yoga at noon but have to perform a basilisk hack at 1 pm.

https://imgur.com/cVhK7Qv semi-SFW so link just in case

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

2017 is a very cyberpunk year.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

More dystopian nightmare fuel that slipped by unnoticed earlier this year:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwburns/2017/03/14/gop-bill-could-force-employees-to-undergo-dna-testing-or-pay-thousands/#5046ffc271fe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

mods pls

Cyberpunk 2017: a band of rogue geneticists

• Locked thread