Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

These are perfect for my anxiety based avoidant eye contact issues. Also for general people watching and eye protection when I'm wood working, wood burning, and welding. But probably you should wear more appropriate eye wear even though its less dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

anyone itt asking how gangtags work don't deserve one

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

oh hey looks like crusader must have bought it AND THEN DIDN'T TELL ANYONE jeez what jerk

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

im gonna say it one more time if you don't know how to get a gang tag you don't deserve one, least of all the cyberpunk tag

yospos bithc

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

flame shirt 2017

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

freejack was goofy as hell and i love it

anthony hopkins, emilio estevez, and mick loving jagger. seriously how and why did that happen

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

jesus gently caress coulda posted a warning about the loud auto-playing dubstep, ow

and those are only $70, huh.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

good read, pro-click

i only ever read neuromancer, and that was maybe 15 years ago. should sit down and go through the whole trilogy.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i will never let part one of myrtar's inventory be lost to history

7 cards
no cash :(
(spent it all on flashlights)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

in 2031, in an attempt to control violence among unemployed millenials, the us government legalized no holds barred fighting. starbucks coffee working with the usg established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. the fights' popularity grew with their brutality. soon starbucks discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. the professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and punchable douchebags in known space selected to fight in a grand tournament

:hellyeah:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I was thinking about upgrading my video card and have since learned that the pricing and availability of basically all decent cards are completely hosed due to idiots buying everything for cryptocurrency mining :pwn: :psyduck:

this cyberpunk future is lame as hell and I want a goddamn refund

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

huh? just get a gtx 1060/1070, 250-300 bucks on amazon prime

for christ's sake could you at least double check things first before blurting out "actually,"

look up 6GB 1060 Ti's on amazon, nothing is close to MSRP, it's almost all from 3rd party sellers pricing $250 cards at close to $400, and the few available direct from amazon aren't shipping for over a week

there's a bunch of discussion about this all over the place

so like I said this cyberpunk future is dumb and bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

what, is this in the last month or something? because this was me

...so you looked up and took a screenshot of your amazon order history instead of just looking at current prices??

and the specific card you ordered as of this post "New (5) from $499.98" https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...s=evga+1060+FTW

meanwhile newegg has some better prices but almost everything is sold out (again only looking at 6GB 1060s)

but yeah evidently all this happened in the past month
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/251379-cryptocurrency-craze-sends-gpu-prices-skyrocketing
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-prices-increase-ethereum-cryptocurrency,34865.html

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

also like $0.99 every steam sale

$3.99 this go-around. yeah could have sworn i paid less than that for it (edit: $2.49! 5 goddamn years ago sheesh)

whatever it's a loving riot and that image really is a completely perfect description of the game

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no in-game map tho

who cares

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

there was some story I read one time where the internet had become so overrun with viruses and poo poo that everyone basically abandoned computers and started using autistic people as personal assistants to remember things and do math and stuff

they're called mentats

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Has anyone ever hacked an insulin pump for computer controlled microdosing?

if not then THIS IS MY CYBERPUNK IDEA ©2017 SO DEMANDING do not steal

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Admiral Crackbar posted:

They'll go the way of cassette tapes eventually. Even bluray was kind of too little too late, it lost out to streaming and download services before it could really catch on.

I still use optical media at work occasionally, but our last batch of purchased laptops was lacking dvd drives (HPs).

oh poo poo now you've done it, here come the home theater nerds and videophiles

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Stymie posted:

i still have physical media because the upcoming balkanization of online streaming services is going to make it really hard to consistently watch any tv show or movie

Stymie posted:

it's basically the revenge of the cable tv provider

instead of paying a ridiculous amount of money for a batch of channels you only may watch a handful of, you'll be paying a ridiculous amount of money (overall) to a whole slew of providers each with a tiny fraction of what you want to watch

i ain't just quoting stymie im DOUBLE QUOTING stymie

the solution of course is, and always shall be, piracy

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

communism bitch posted:

Part of my job is going to boring-rear end conferences trying to figure poo poo like this out so you can solve the problem of how to archivally preserve born-digital data for centuries, when the average lifespan of any given piece of hardware is 10-20 years max, and entire formats are obsolete in 30 years. Certain (well funded) institutes like the British Library and National Archives maintain inventories of working examples of literally every piece of computer hardware they can lay their hands on, but lol if you think most places have the long-term planning, foresight and money to do that.

Wanna take a guess what the best answer is right now to guarantee survival for critical information?

:ssh:print everything out on paper lmao. Also don't put it in a climate controlled cutting edge facility because as soon as your boiler breaks down everything's hosed. Just make a massive room with really thick walls, print everything out on paper, stick it in ph neutral boxes and folders, and hope for the best.:ssh:

This is the cyberpunk future.

archiving seems like it would be cool as hell while also extremely nerve wracking as people must be constantly scrambling to save poo poo before it rots in one way or another

any thoughts on m-disc?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

those masks make for real easy halloween costumes

easy, but not good. can't easily drink with that thing on

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

:okpos:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

reminds me of this guy

SpaceClown posted:

OP here's my personal concoction:

5ug LSD
-[Tiny, even by microdose standards, but we won't need much. It's the secondary active ingredient!]-
50mg Speed Paste
-[Speed because its way cheaper than adderall and functionally the same chemical with a slightly more jittery physical effect and a weaker comedown. You could substitute with adderall, though. 50mg will last many hours.]-
Multivitamin
-[Try this concoction with and without this ingredient and it will be clear why I included it.]-
Caffeinated beverage
-[Because you need a delivery vessel and this way you cram in yet another stimulant]-

Mix it all together and make sure the vitamin and the paste are dissolved. Combine with a healthy and nutritious breakfast with lots of carbs and fruit to fully realize your potential.

I call it "Sapho Juice" for obvious reasons.

Just like the real Sapho Juice, be careful because while it won't stain your lips, minor amphetamine withdrawals are pretty loving awful and you'll be tempted to take some more to get through the grogginess and fogged mind.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i finally started playing brigador (after owning it for almost a year, lol) and it owns owns owns

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

make sure to bind the horn key

i need to rebind it to, idk, mouse4 or something cuz i don't use it enough.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I got like four levels in where you get to use the big tall stacked up tower vehicle and it got suddenly unforgiving, it's gone in my backburner pile.

i think they've added some stuff since release to make things a little easier. like a few options for tweaking the controls, and also a slider for game speed so if poo poo is whizzing around you can slow it all down. i've found it's one of those games where you need to take a little time to practice and experiment, and luckily it is perfect for that, they really don't put any bullshit in the way of just farting around and blowing poo poo up. like they added a pilot that when played causes no enemies to spawn (but you also get only a tiny payout), so that helps in practicing vehicle controls.

has anyone read the brigador book? any good? the in-game lore is cool as hell.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

VR seems like most cyberpunk concepts: sounds/looks awesome in books/movies, but when actually implemented in reality is kinda lame at best and utterly impractical at worst

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I kind of hit a wall in difficulty on the campaign levels of brigador but oh well, now I'm spending my time in freelance experimenting with new and exciting ways to blow poo poo up

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lancemantis posted:

I had a car with a HUD; its kind of nice but sensitive to lighting and such, really its just better to shift the necessary displays to a more visible location

just drive exclusively at night, nbd

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

america had it's own poo poo computers nobody else cared about - like the apple 2 or the ti/99

let's not forget about the British market and their particularly hosed up and inbred designs.

but nothing screams cyberpunk quite like the MSX computers, and yeah I'd love to build my own deck styled after one. just wish I could find a cheap wearable display to complete the setup. yes it would be completely stupid, that's the point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

you should be able to get a cheap wearable NTSC display with composite input, that sort of thing was sold by Sharper Image like 20 years ago (and for many years) as a way to watch TV/DVDs privately, like on planes

bonus: you can just plug a Japanese MSX right into its composite input

edit: looks like the search term to use is “video glasses,” here’s a pair I found new on Amazon—which turns out to play from an SD card, rather than use a composite input, oops; check Alibaba instead

infernal machines posted:

the cheap electronic gift shops in chinatown have them here. they want too much for them though

you can probably score one off alibaba for ~$50

yeah some lovely video glasses are probably the most realistic solution, just gotta find some that aren't too lovely or too expensive.

i would really love a monocular kind of system to make my own wearable PC type deal, but that sort of poo poo is way harder to find. anything old is now rare and collectable (or too lovely/weird to use), anything new tends to be extremely expensive. then there's this thing for $200 https://www.amazon.com/Vufine-006011-Wearable-Display/dp/B01MZ89QXF/ :pcgaming:

someday i'll have my dream deck...

• Locked thread