Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AtomD posted:

the year is 2017
you hook your terminal into the superbus port: millions of microscopic copper threads transmitting at gigabauds. enough to fill a lasertape cassette in microseconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AtomD posted:

it's called altaba because when your browser loads it you altabaway from it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yippee cahier posted:

everyone's bank accounts are emptied every time a semi-skilled hacker passes through the neighbourhood

watch_dogs 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wargames posted:

How can i get this?

back of the chatsubo, guy with the sleeve tattoo and the one zeiss eye. he'll fix you up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

lol, like these virulent pricks are gonna last 20 years, they'd be eating each other in months

yeah if they ever actually piled in there the rest of us would just weld the door shut and go about our business

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was before he realized he can only write trilogies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

speaking of snow crash franchise-based hyperbalkanization would probably work better than what we're doing now

I'd buy pizza from the mafia

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I lost a point at bar trivia once for confusing a tire iron with a lug wrench

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
probably whoever turned it from a live cms-backed site to a static archive screwed something up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2017/0214/Coming-soon-to-Dubai-A-flying-passenger-carrying-drone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

i'd expect a tv tuned to a dead channel to look like a 404 or 503 these days

a giant differentially shaded circle, rotating majestically

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ehhh, I'd rather have a skull gun, but this'll do

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the matrix is going down in [1] minutes, please disconnect from reality

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

in 2031, in an attempt to control violence among unemployed millenials, the us government legalized no holds barred fighting. starbucks coffee working with the usg established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. the fights' popularity grew with their brutality. soon starbucks discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. the professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and punchable douchebags in known space selected to fight in a grand tournament

I AM THE VENTI AND THE GRANDE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
she thinks my tractor's exe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

carry on then posted:

what is it, exactly, that stops border patrol from requiring you to contact this person you left all your passwords with

the fifth amendment. see also the item about fingerprint readers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

what if you work for the government or a defense contractor or something, and revealing the information on your phone would be a breach of national security -- would border control compelling you to unlock the device then be considered entrapment of sorts, because they're compelling you to commit a crime?

that actually happened during the first travel ban fiasco, some nasa person was forced to unlock his phone which potentially contained sensitive information. don't remember any developments after that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah there have probably been 50 worse ideas that got fully implemented, the only crime here is that it's getting publicity

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/04/disney-files-patent-for-huggable-and-interactive-robots/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yeah watchdogs 2 was p. great

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was good but it certainly had low points and the tank battles were one of them

most of the things involving the batmobile that weren't just tearing rear end around the city running people over nonlethally were, really

also lol forever at the ~big secret twist~ fiasco

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 10, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my knowledge of russia comes from yakov smirnoff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
whoever mentioned neon chrome, it's p. good and p. c-punk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
surely someone makes EMF-opaque phone cases by now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

well do you want convenience or security

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

communism bitch posted:

Anybody got a writeup on this? It's interesting.
Common sense says if the device doesn't have a power supply it can't do anything that draws power. I've not yet seen a smartphone you can't pop the battery out of, so what's the other piece of the puzzle? They come with backup integral batteries, or what?

...how have you never seen an iphone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought they all took place in tommy westphall's head

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
godzilla 2014 is briefly a vegas movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
of all the cyberpunk novels that could come true I never thought it would be snow crash

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ban this sick filth

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"man I love carpentry. hammered for hours on sunday night"

*gets fired*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have a roomba but it's really really old, do you have to connect the new ones to the internet?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stick Insect posted:

So, has their security been compromised yet, and have they been exploited for malicious and/or amusing purposes?

internet tough guys are now trolling you with a map of your house rather than a picture of the outside

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have old optical media lying around but I haven't actually bought one in at least a year and the only optical drive I have left is in the ps4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
more biopunk than cyberpunk really

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Schadenboner posted:

Is the hand improperly attached to the arm? Should it be rotating like that from one little flick?

:ohdear:

huh? looks more like the wrist is motorized and its motion has nothing to do with the spinner

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
worth it to become a talking poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

trading places reboot looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/725vkn/ontario_a_friend_of_mine_is_studying/

• Locked thread