Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

March looks like it is the upcoming disaster month of 2018 with Death Wish; A Wrinkle In Time; Tomb Raider; a horror film that still doesn't have a title yet; I Can Only Imagine; Sherlock Gnomes; Pacific Rim 2; God's Not Dead 3; Ready Player One; and Paul, Apostle of Christ

At least one of them will be the big winner of the month and I think the most likely will be Ready Player One.

Tomb Raider will either be another Tom Cruise Mummy or it'll be another Hunger Games (i.e. pretty big but nowhere near as big as it's "supposed" to be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wrinkle in Time looks so bad
$100m budget too.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
R.I.P. 2017, maybe 2018 will have more good movies to choose from! :suicide:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TLJ passed Beauty and the Beast to become the highest grossing movie of 2017.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

In America. It still has a ways to go worldwide.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gatts posted:

I remember the Medicine Man.

90 minutes of Sean Connery hanging by crotch harness in the jungle, with Lorraine Bracco braying at him

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

What can you really do with that other than Miss Marple, though? I thought he was just going to keep making Poirot movies and put other, non-Poirot-related Agatha Christie characters in them.

He'd be as well to try doing some kind of Great Detectives Shared Cinematic Universe. He can get John Goodman to play Nero Wolfe and Jon Hamm as Philip Marlowe.

Sort of like Murder By Death, but taken semi-seriously.

It would be interesting to see if you could make a Charlie Chan movie, finally with an Asian lead.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Industry question.

When a movie is released as part of a box set, how do box set sales contribute to its lifetime earnings record? Do they value it as 1/xth of the sale price or do they do some Hollywood chicanery and count the full sale price towards the earnings of all of the included movies?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

(I haven't seen this movie, but although I like more or less everything that's on this poster/cover, I have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't like it if I did.)

I saw it as a kid and all I remember is that Sean Connery giving that lady some berries that made her act like she was on drugs and that Sean Connery found the cure for cancer yet wasted it to heal some native.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

1. How did that show last for as long as it did?
2. How has no one rebooted that stupid show yet?

The death of "family" television is I think related to networks and advertisers deciding that "the demo" is really all that matters, instead of total ratings. That whole genre of adventure for all ages has really gone out of fashion- pretty much everything on prime time is targeted at adults.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

I remember the Medicine Man.

Never forget the D R E

He's got the potion for the three wheel motion

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maxwell Lord posted:

The death of "family" television is I think related to networks and advertisers deciding that "the demo" is really all that matters, instead of total ratings. That whole genre of adventure for all ages has really gone out of fashion- pretty much everything on prime time is targeted at adults.

They could just do Dr Quinn, but this Dr Quinn fucks, and you see tits in the first episode so you know it's premium tv.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

...the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake was the highest grossing movie of 2017? Why? :confused:

I don't think I even heard anybody talk about that movie, at least not in any kind of way that would make me interested in seeing it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

...the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake was the highest grossing movie of 2017? Why? :confused:

I saw it on Netflix and it's good, I was surprised. They added some new elements to the story that made it a little more interesting and slightly darker in some ways but it's also still a great goofy kids movie at heart. There are some moments that are just 1:1 from the animated movie but unlike the trailers it actually does have a lot of new stuff in it too.

IIRC besides doing huge money initially it was in theaters for a much longer time than expected too which I'm sure helped.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I don't think I even heard anybody talk about that movie, at least not in any kind of way that would make me interested in seeing it.

The live action Disney Princess movies have been doing insane business and they're barely talked about. It's almost like when you get stories about movies being 'important' it's part of a marketing push.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
B&tB had a really good release slot, in addition to just being Live Action nostalgia crack.

Like, the closest things that went for the demo were Smurfs, Fate of the Furious and Boss Baby. It had a few weeks to just do its thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FilthyImp posted:

B&tB had a really good release slot, in addition to just being Live Action nostalgia crack.

Like, the closest things that went for the demo were Smurfs, Fate of the Furious and Boss Baby. It had a few weeks to just do its thing.

That doesn't really make sense because F8 is also in the top 10 this year for gross.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Those movies feel like they'd be intensely appealing to 14 year olds, in addition to the obvious nostalgia bait. Also I would think families are drawn to them as the only non-animated stuff that's really pitched toward them at all.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The gay panic

Which some people got so upset over without realizing the 1991(?) version had all the same stuff

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That doesn't really make sense because F8 is also in the top 10 this year for gross.

F8 is number two worldwide at the moment but it's like tenth in North America. It's made $1.2 billion and the billion is almost entirely overseas.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

F8 is number two worldwide at the moment but it's like tenth in North America. It's made $1.2 billion and the billion is almost entirely overseas.

Lol well there you go. Seems like BATB should've been hurt by another smash hit in theaters at the same time but it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

New year, new thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845282

• Locked thread