Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

-Predictions-
Good: Blade Runner 2049
Bad: Anything with a DC superhero or made by a Sony owned company
Wildcard: Ghost in the Shell

I really hope Ghost in the Shell does well. The trailer seems to have upset a lot of fans by using some generic movie lines like "Everything you knew was a lie" or whatever, but they've gotten the visuals well enough that I'm excited for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Nuebot posted:

I really hope Ghost in the Shell does well. The trailer seems to have upset a lot of fans by using some generic movie lines like "Everything you knew was a lie" or whatever, but they've gotten the visuals well enough that I'm excited for it.

It looks bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Blade Runner will be fine because they got a good director and it's not like Star Wars where they're going to try for some broad easily digestible film. I'm sure they want it to make billions of dollars but I think they know it can do that while also being a smart and cool sci-fi film, much like Minority Report (also based on PKD) was.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Case for Christ - I'm confused, wasn't God dead? Now he's going on trial?

I read this book and it had no narrative whatsoever beyond the first chapter, where the journalist author talks about how he was a non-believer but his christian wife(I think) challenged him to examine The Case for Christ. The rest of the book is a series of interviews with a bunch of evangelical academics and theologens making said case. There really has to be better christian media to adapt into movies

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Saw Assassin's Creed... honestly couldn't believe that it was by the same guy who did Macbeth last year. Or how many good actors they got to be in it. (Rather, how they could afford to get so many good actors in it.)

The XXX trailer was in front of it. All I could think of was, of all the franchises to bring back, what made them think this was the one to go to? Though I suppose the original XXX was kind of a template for the Fast & the Furious movies around 4 or 5 when they finally turned it into "street racers who are actually secret agents". Fill it with enough xtreme sports and suggestive lipstick lesbians and I suppose it will do good enough.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Blade Runner will be fine because they got a good director and it's not like Star Wars where they're going to try for some broad easily digestible film. I'm sure they want it to make billions of dollars but I think they know it can do that while also being a smart and cool sci-fi film, much like Minority Report (also based on PKD) was.

Yeah, but what the Hell is it even going to be about? If any science fiction movie DIDN'T leave hooks for a sequel it's that one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, but what the Hell is it even going to be about? If any science fiction movie DIDN'T leave hooks for a sequel it's that one.

Ryan Gosling has to win the big blade running marathon to save the rec centre

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Cool Blade Runnings 2

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Blade Runner 2049 has an amazing crew behind it, and Villenueves is an amazing visual storyteller, I just hope they have the freedom to make it weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, but what the Hell is it even going to be about?

Blade Runners

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blade Runner$

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I bet Weyland-Yutani gets name dropped

Prepare for the AvPvBRCU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
฿lade Runner

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chairman Capone posted:

The XXX trailer was in front of it. All I could think of was, of all the franchises to bring back, what made them think this was the one to go to? Though I suppose the original XXX was kind of a template for the Fast & the Furious movies around 4 or 5 when they finally turned it into "street racers who are actually secret agents". Fill it with enough xtreme sports and suggestive lipstick lesbians and I suppose it will do good enough.
I only watched the original which was dumb as all hell, never saw the sequel.

Although it cracked me up to find that they shot this pretty vindictive extra which made it onto the XXX 2 DVD where they use a body double to kill off Xander Cage in a very gruesome way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48rLcHu2Yc

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's a million things you can do with androids and personhood.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also loads of Philip K Dick stories to borrow ideas from (44 novels and 121 short stories).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I totally forgot about My Bigger, Fatter Greeker Wedding. Has a sequel to a comedy classic that came out way too long after the fact ever actually lived up to the expectations? Zoolander 2, Bad Santa 2, Anchorman 2, the aforementioned Greek tragedy, all blow.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I like how Wonder Woman theme has one setting and plays when she's in costume and on screen even when it's in an old photograph. Only really stopping for Superman's death music in BvS.

It'll be great if they continue that in Wonder Woman.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I bet Weyland-Yutani gets name dropped

Prepare for the AvPvBRCU

Didn't Ridley Scott already claim this was the case in one of the Prometheus blueray extras? Something like how Weyland and Tyrell worked together and how the Weyland-Yutani androids are based on Tyrell Replicants.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Random Stranger posted:

I just wish they'd spend a bit of it on giving her a new theme instead of that god awful one they used for her in Superman vs. Batman.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Obviously, they save that for the credits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

I just wish they'd spend a bit of it on giving her a new theme instead of that god awful one they used for her in Superman vs. Batman.
Shut your god damned mouth, that was like the best theme in the entire movie.

This is also good.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I hate that I can't get excited for Bubblegum CrisisBlade Runner 2049. I loved Arrival, think highly of Ryan Gosling, and Harrison Ford is my favorite actor. I just don't think it's going to do anything other than cement Deckard as a replicant, a theory I loathe.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I hate that I can't get excited for Bubblegum CrisisBlade Runner 2049. I loved Arrival, think highly of Ryan Gosling, and Harrison Ford is my favorite actor. I just don't think it's going to do anything other than cement Deckard as a replicant, a theory I loathe.

Part of me kind of wants an actual live-action attempt at Bubblegum Crisis.

The rest of me dreads the idea of that ever happening.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was 12 last time i watched GITS and i really don't get the people complaining about it. Because i dont give a poo poo about the sanctity of anime. And because i am free like this, i can think it looks fine.

Blade Runner has me skeptical conceptually but the people behind it are solid.

Kinda weird people are hung uo on both tbh

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dexie posted:

Part of me kind of wants an actual live-action attempt at Bubblegum Crisis.

It would be easy as hell to do. Four women from different social strata coming together to fight rampaging androids in iron man suits? I'd go see it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I just don't think it's going to do anything other than cement Deckard as a replicant, a theory I loathe.

If the movie has any nuts at all, this will still be something that has no definitive answer. The entire point is that there's a possibility that it might not matter if someone is a Replicant or not and the existential horror that arises from that. It shouldn't upset us that consciousness could arise in a silicon "machine" as opposed to "natural life" which is, after all, just very efficient machinery, but man, it still does.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I thought the first film was about man's inhumanity to our own creations and whether Dick Deckard is one of those creations or not doesn't really change the themes or symbolism.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

precision posted:

If the movie has any nuts at all, this will still be something that has no definitive answer.

See, I'm of the mind that it's better when it simply isn't a question posed by the movie at all. Roy Batty saves the man who killed his family, who is trying to kill him. A man who belongs to the group that benefits from creating these artificial human slaves. That is better than anything the afterthought of a mystery that Ridley Scott has been angling for years has to offer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know 2016 was a bit of a wasteland in terms of new properties that could spawn franchises, but was it so bland that Bad Moms is the one that got picked up? I guess they're trying to get future films out so fast that people even remember it exists, because by 2018 I doubt anyone would have.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

^At least they're not calling it a cinematic universe. Stupid disposable comedies have been doing the franchise thing longer than any other genre. American Pie vastly out stayed its welcome. The UK had that lovely Carry On series.

I was really surprised that The Space Between Us isn't an adaptation from the The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns guy because it's got a similar title and some manipulative emotional stuff going on. He seems like he's well on his way to being the Nicolas Sparks of YA lit. At the very least there's some good actors in it.

I'm predicting that both DC films this year will suck, but I'll probably see them in theaters depending on how bored I am around those times. Right now it doesn't look like there's anything else opening those weeks that I'm actually excited about, but that's not necessarily enough to get me out to see them. It's easy to pick apart Marvel CU stuff because a lot of it is pretty dumb, but the contrast between overall quality between the two franchises is stark. Marvel is obviously doing enough right, and DC is just a disaster.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 2, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tars Tarkas posted:

Deepwater Horizon - A cooler film would be about how BP PR managed to cover up a bunch of the oil spill's bad effects, but then there couldn't be cool explosions.
Production Budget: $110 million
Box Office: $61 million (domestic); $119 million (worldwide total) - currently still in theaters

Posting because I can't find the bookmark button.

This one and Benghazi stayed in theaters because the theater managers were worried they'd have another joker shooting up the place.

The film was very successful at the home box office, in DVD and blu-ray sales. Likely due to a boost from the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election, the film grossed an additional $40 million in DVD and blu-ray sales.[31]

e: that wiki comment was about 13 hours, not deepwater

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

Monster Trucks - I'm going to predict this movie will be what 20-teens get nostolgic for in 2030, but it will do awful at the box office.

Actually it looks like unironically fun and good and will have a lukewarm box office reception at worst. So there :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Actually it looks like unironically fun and good and will have a lukewarm box office reception at worst. So there :colbert:

It looks like the most "forgetable early 2000s kids movie" movie ever. There's no way it'll break even.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It would be easy as hell to do. Four women from different social strata coming together to fight rampaging androids in iron man suits? I'd go see it.

It WOULD be easy to do but they'd find a way to gently caress it up. They already did it once with the Tokyo 2040 series. A live action thing would be even easier to ruin.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Casimir Radon posted:

^At least they're not calling it a cinematic universe. Stupid disposable comedies have been doing the franchise thing longer than any other genre. American Pie vastly out stayed its welcome. The UK had that lovely Carry On series.

I was really surprised that The Space Between Us isn't an adaptation from the The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns guy because it's got a similar title and some manipulative emotional stuff going on. He seems like he's well on his way to being the Nicolas Sparks of YA lit. At the very least there's some good actors in it.

I'm predicting that both DC films this year will suck, but I'll probably see them in theaters depending on how bored I am around those times. Right now it doesn't look like there's anything else opening those weeks that I'm actually excited about, but that's not necessarily enough to get me out to see them. It's easy to pick apart Marvel CU stuff because a lot of it is pretty dumb, but the contrast between overall quality between the two franchises is stark. Marvel is obviously doing enough right, and DC is just a disaster.

I haven't read any of John Green's books (and they seem pretty hokey) but he's made about 200 episodes of a pop history programme on youtube that I liked. I wish him all the best on his journey to Nicolas Sparks level wealth.

Is anyone predicting that the superhero bubble will burst this year, or are we all assuming it'll drag its swollen, fetid body all the way into the 2020s? Will the giant tentpole movie system collapse, and take the whole idea of a cinematic universe down with it?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dexie posted:

It WOULD be easy to do but they'd find a way to gently caress it up. They already did it once with the Tokyo 2040 series. A live action thing would be even easier to ruin.

It's definitely something that you'd have to bring Shinji Aramaki, the designer who actually did the suits, on if you wanted to get it right, but Aramaki might want more input since he's more famous now for doing the CGI Appleseed films.

In fact, I'm surprised we haven't seen him attempt to do a CGI Bubblegum Crisis film. I wonder if the rights are locked up somehow, we seem to be due for another iteration on the series.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

The UK had that lovely Carry On series.

I think you mean "The UK has that lovely Carry On series." They announced they're going to start making them again starting with Carry On Doctors sometime this year followed by Carry On Campus, although there's been a few hiccups along the way.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't know about Wonder Woman, but as Justice League is a Zack Snyder movie featuring superheroes and sequel to Batman v Superman, I predict it will end up on numerous CineD poster's Best of 2017 list.

Or maybe WB will make it mediocre enough that it becomes the first DCEU movie with a Fresh RT score.
Edit:
Actually that would be the WW movie and many who hate it will inevitably blame feminism just like they did with Ghostbusters 2016.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

Has a sequel to a comedy classic that came out way too long after the fact ever actually lived up to the expectations?

Skimming over a grim Wikipedia list of late sequels, um... Pee-Wee's Big Holiday apparently was okay? But you could blame that delay on the arrest and shunning.

• Locked thread