Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Darthemed posted:

Has there been a product placement thread in CD before? Seems like a topic with a lot to discuss and dissect.

The careers of Adam Sandler and Mike Meyers are examples 1 and 2. Also Fight Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

The careers of Adam Sandler and Mike Meyers are examples 1 and 2. Also Fight Club.

And on the other end of the spectrum you have Josie and the Pussycats, a movie literally wallpapered with product placement and logos yet was completely satirical and never got a cent for any of it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Timby posted:

TSG co-finances almost all of Fox's genre movies.

Ah. It used to be Dune, and then obviously that deal ended when the RatPac merger happened, and I haven't seen many Fox films that aren't Spotlight pickups for a while so I've never noticed any real other names at the front of the features.

And for those wondering who on earth would throw Trump into Suicide Squad somehow: https://www.uproxx.com/movies/suicide-squad-trump-2016/ <- this is really ridiculous, as is expected from uproxx

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Corek posted:

Hey Hbomberguy: Rob Liefeld's Extreme Universe has been optioned for SEVEN movies by Akiva Goldsman.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/deadpool-rob-liefeld-extreme-universe-movie-deal-fundamental-films-graham-king-akiva-goldsman-1201877766/

lollll

The Liefeldverse

Bloodstrike
Bloodwulf
Deathblood
Bloodstrike 2: This Blood's For You!
Youngbloods
Bloodwulf: Blood is Thicker Than Water
The Bloodvengers: Blood In, Blood Out!!
Bloodstrikeł: Blood Strike

I'm loving hyped

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The word blood no longer makes sense after reading that post.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Rough Lobster posted:

The Liefeldverse

Bloodstrike
Bloodwulf
Deathblood
Youngbloods

I'm loving hyped

A Youngbloods film could theoretically lead to a film version of Brandon Graham's Prophet relaunch, in some universe.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Knight of Cups, a Merrance Tallick film.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The word blood no longer makes sense after reading that post.

When it gets to semantic satiation you know you have a problem

But it feels good do*fallsover*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darthemed posted:

Has there been a product placement thread in CD before? Seems like a topic with a lot to discuss and dissect.

This clip would need to be in the OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjB6r-HDDI0
Or the McDonalds dance scene from Mac and Me, idk

The Cameo posted:

It's why a lot of sci-fi, period pieces, and fantasy movies are the real horribly expensive stuff (as something like Star Wars or Lord of The Rings has zero capability for a brand to show up in it)

There's been a few period movies with product placement but they've usually been played for laughs, like the Nike swoosh appearing in the Heath Ledger medieval flick A Knight's Tale

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 5, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That Wayne's World clip is way too subtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1YV2T-4wgs
(skip to 0:19)

spoiler alert: Mountain Dew wins

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 5, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Are we getting any video game property movies this year?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Are we getting any video game property movies this year?

Beyond Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter it seems there is just a whole bunch of TBA and speculation when it comes to video game franchises. I think the closest thing that is actually happening is another CGI Resident Evil movie.

I think a Sly Cooper movie was planned for this year but that probably got shelved somewhere deep after the Ratchet & Clank movie.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 5, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mierenneuker posted:

That Wayne's World clip is way too subtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1YV2T-4wgs
(skip to 0:19)

spoiler alert: Mountain Dew wins

Oh you want some unsubtle product placement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShKWD2NKUE

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rough Lobster posted:

The Liefeldverse

Bloodstrike
Bloodwulf
Deathblood
Youngbloods

I'm loving hyped

Rob Liefeld's favorite actress: Moon Bloodgood.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

How has a conversation about product placement gone this long without Torque you shameful shameful people?

https://youtu.be/vBCeFJ66oRM

E: ok so I missed it I'm on a phone alright jeez
Looks like I'm the shameful one

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Tars Tarkas posted:

Here's a way to make a Chinese co-production that isn't just pandering and includes worldwide cast members for maximum box office potential

also other films in early preproduction get blurbs, but not enough to tell anything about yet:

http://deadline.com/2017/01/passengers-producer-stephen-hamel-china-rally-car-unmanned-1201876420/

Olivier Megaton? Has the world just gone so crazy that we all just glanced past Olivier Megaton like it was a perfectly normal name for a human person?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

Olivier Megaton? Has the world just gone so crazy that we all just glanced past Olivier Megaton like it was a perfectly normal name for a human person?

TBH, it's a stage name, he wasn't born with it.

Also, he's done nothing good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

thats just because nissin cup of noodles are good

This, TBH.

MacheteZombie posted:

Cannoball run in China sounds like my kind of flick.

It's funny cause Cannonball Run 2 is the movie that introduced America to Jackie Chan, however briefly.

The Cameo posted:

And for those wondering who on earth would throw Trump into Suicide Squad somehow: https://www.uproxx.com/movies/suicide-squad-trump-2016/ <- this is really ridiculous, as is expected from uproxx

This is kinda true, if you're going on the premise that this seems to, which is that people would like the right movies if they were better informed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 5, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The MSJ posted:

I guess this is why Final Fantasy 15 is loaded with product placements despite not even taking place on Earth. The production of the game is so long the budget must have been enormous, so your characters can buy Nissin cup noodles from shops that accept American Express.

FF15 cup noodle was a lot worse than just the billboard. There's literally a food truck in game that you can buy cup noodle from and one of your party members has a quest that is a pretty shameless ad pitch to find *the perfect ingredient* to add into a hot steamy cup noodle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba1kg3tKbMg

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

TBH, it's a stage name, he wasn't born with it.

Also, he's done nothing good.

He directed Columbiana which was very good, and the first Hitman movie which wasn't completely terrible...but he also directed Transporter 3 and Taken 2 and 3 so yeah the bad is outweighing the good. Are there any French goons that can comment on his early stuff?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
There's another Slender Man movie coming?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/slender-man-horror-movie-finds-director-960742

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wait the first one came out and I wasn't notified?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Wait the first one came out and I wasn't notified?

Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story (2015)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story (2015)

I remember seeing lowtax tweet mild outrage at it but not cuz he wanted the money. He just seemed ashamed for the ARG crew.

It couldn't have made much of an impression on the box office

Dismal imdb page looks like it never hit a theater

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I haven't watched it, but I haven't heard anything good. I loved Marble Hornets and own the Blu Ray of the series so I should at least give it a watch I guess.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

I think a Sly Cooper movie was planned for this year but that probably got shelved somewhere deep after the Ratchet & Clank movie.

A kid friendly, semi-serious, animated or CGI heist movie seems like a pretty easy layup conceptually.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So did a kid friendly animal CGI space adventure yet they somehow hosed it up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I haven't watched it, but I haven't heard anything good. I loved Marble Hornets and own the Blu Ray of the series so I should at least give it a watch I guess.

It bored my rear end off so I can't honestly say I've watched it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It bored my rear end off so I can't honestly say I've watched it.

Ooph, boring is like the worst thing you can say about a horror movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like dull in service of something, but the ideas were also dull.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I like dull in service of something, but the ideas were also dull.

I'd argue that dull in service of something is different than boring, but not sure I could explain the distinction well enough. You are right though, a very interesting idea presented flatly is still worth the runtime in some cases.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 5, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still get a laugh out of how the internet horror monster is a tall, fit, well-dressed white guy.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 5, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I remember seeing lowtax tweet mild outrage at it but not cuz he wanted the money. He just seemed ashamed for the ARG crew.

It couldn't have made much of an impression on the box office

Dismal imdb page looks like it never hit a theater

The money influx from that and their dvd sales ultimately drove them apart and killed all their future projects. That should be the plot of this movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MacheteZombie posted:

I liked MH at the time, though I kinda hate season 3. But yeah the movie is really fuckin' boring and lame.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

The money influx from that and their dvd sales ultimately drove them apart and killed all their future projects. That should be the plot of this movie.

This sounds intrguing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

I liked MH at the time, though I kinda hate season 3. But yeah the movie is really fuckin' boring and lame.

Yeah I never finished season 3. I have the first 2 seasons on DVD but just kinda lost interest interest shortly after Jay died(?)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBA Starblade posted:

I still get a laugh out of how the internet horror monster is a tall, fit, well-dressed white guy.

He can start a club with Dracula and the Phantom of the Opera.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd argue that dull in service of something is different than boring, but not sure I could explain the distinction well enough. You are right though, a very interesting idea presented flatly is still worth the runtime in some cases.

Dull in service of something = The Last Broadcast.

Jack Gladney posted:

Hilarious because that is literally the plot of a found footage webseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

I remember posting in the thread and chatting with ya a bit. :wink:

And yeah, S3 was not as good as I hoped, but I dig the the last few entries.

Dull in service of something = The Last Broadcast.

This reassures me. I feel like we are on the same page with our use of boring then.

• Locked thread