Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I read my posts in the voice of an old white man reading a black lady character in a Stephen King audiobook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I Before E posted:

Here's an idea: what if the Star Wars prequels... are actually good?

https://twitter.com/MIDImyers/status/811671498029142016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... does everyone read my posts in the voice of all three members of The New Day shouting in unison

Just the middle one.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
Oddly enough, my last movie of 2016 was Bad Santa 2.

Still haven't picked a first for 2017 yet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

I approve of baked Anakin :420:

e: judging by those knuckles, he's also pretty deadly without the lightsaber.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, definitely, but Rogue One is pretty bland.

I just wish they could have given Donnie Yen something cooler to chant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I read my posts in the voice of an old white man reading a black lady character in a Stephen King audiobook.

Please read all my posts in this voice.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Hodgepodge posted:

Now I'm curious as to what Coyote sounds like in your head.

But which Coyote??

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hodgepodge posted:

I approve of baked Anakin :420:

I mean, isn't that canon? :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hundu what was the verdict on They Shoot Zombies movies on YouTube

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's just baffling to me that saying "Id like to watch the original versions of the films I enjoy" becomes this insane statement that doesn't make sense.

I honestly do not get it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, church, tonight on TCM it's prison flicks - line-up's Cool Hand Luke, Brute Force, Riot in Cell Block 11, The Big House, The Last Mile, and Each Dawn I Die.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It's just baffling to me that saying "Id like to watch the original versions of the films I enjoy" becomes this insane statement that doesn't make sense.

I honestly do not get it.

theres like 20 torrents that are exactly that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have them. But I just don't get why people think saying that is so ridiculous.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

theres like 20 torrents that are exactly that

of what, the fuckin laserdisc releases?

wanting the original version of the OT to be legally available on a format that is actually current isn't a terrible thing

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Yo, church, tonight on TCM it's prison flicks - line-up's Cool Hand Luke, Brute Force, Riot in Cell Block 11, The Big House, The Last Mile, and Each Dawn I Die.

I watched Cool Hand Luke in high school and I apparently forgot about 60% of the movie, because I honestly thought it was a movie about a prisoner who, after earning the admiration of his fellow inmates for refusing to yield to the warden, heroically dies in an attempt to eat 100 eggs and is compared to Christ for it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

of what, the fuckin laserdisc releases?

wanting the original version of the OT to be legally available on a format that is actually current isn't a terrible thing

no people spent years of their life making it identical to the laserdisc in hd

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I have them. But I just don't get why people think saying that is so ridiculous.

why ask for something you've already got?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shut up and take my money!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

why ask for something you've already got?

Because I want to own the real thing, not a pretty good bootleg.

This also applies to The Warriors as well unless they're making a regular cut version on Blu Ray.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yo people who go to Sundance, you might get to see the new Twin Peaks before everyone else.
http://deadline.com/2017/01/twin-peaks-sundance-preview-david-lynch-showtime-1201875253/

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Because I want to own the real thing, not a pretty good bootleg.

This also applies to The Warriors as well unless they're making a regular cut version on Blu Ray.

At a point though, what's the difference? If something is functionally identical to the original who cares.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

I watched Cool Hand Luke in high school and I apparently forgot about 60% of the movie, because I honestly thought it was a movie about a prisoner who, after earning the admiration of his fellow inmates for refusing to yield to the warden, heroically dies in an attempt to eat 100 eggs and is compared to Christ for it.
I think you somehow mixed Cool Hand Luke with Smash Mouth.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I was pretty miffed when I bought an official release of Mononoke and the quality and subtitling were obviously inferior to the fan bootleg I had before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

At a point though, what's the difference? If something is functionally identical to the original who cares.

I care.

Because I enjoy owning and watching Blu Rays and would like to do the same with every film I have ever enjoyed.

A file on my computer is not a Blu Ray.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was pretty miffed when I bought an official release of Mononoke and the quality and subtitling were obviously inferior to the fan bootleg I had before.

A lot of Dinsey's blu-rays of their classic animated movies look like loving garbage because they tried to hide the scratchiness of the old animation with aggressive anti-aliasing, it's the loving worst.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I care.

Because I enjoy owning and watching Blu Rays and would like to do the same with every film I have ever enjoyed.

A file on my computer is not a Blu Ray.

So if I burnt you a Blu Ray of the Despecialized Edition or w/e & even did it up big like label maker and everything would that be okay

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want all the special features too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want dailies and isolated dialogue and m&e stems but I also live in the real world.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I want all the special features too.

So if there's an official blu-ray release of the original film without any special features, you wouldn't get that?

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
This thread moves too fast for me to even follow, but nonchalant stuff like this:

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I got the complete run of Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High as a gift
is why I appreciate you guys and wish I had time to contribute.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

So if there's an official blu-ray release of the original film without any special features, you wouldn't get that?

i'll take it if he doesn't want it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd get it.

Honestly why is this request such an awful insane thing? Is my question? I didn't buy The Thing until Shout Factory put out theirs. I would've still kept waiting until a real good version of the film existed. And it one day would've because almost every film has a shot at being upgraded. It's not guaranteed.

Like I doubt Invader Zim will ever get a Blu Ray release, but I mean, it's possible.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I didn't say it was awful or insane, but I don't really understand what you're asking for. The exact thing you're asking for already exists in an unofficial capacity, I mean the main guy doing it was hired to restore films professionally based on the quality of the work. I don't understand what the distinction is that makes it worth getting if it's "official" VS something functionally identical that's not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's kind of more the principal of the thing. You know?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's pretty insane considering the Universal DVD release of the Thing was actually pretty excellent, and included the full score over the menus.

I mean, if I HAD to make a desert island pick on which version I'd want forever and ever, it would be the 70mm print, but again, I also live in the real world.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It's kind of more the principal of the thing. You know?

Not rly haha, you want there to be acknowledgement from Disney that the films have been edited & that the original versions have value that's been lessened by and/or distinct from the later special editions?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'll take it if he doesn't want it

I'd take it too tbh, take it straight to ebay!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly why is this request such an awful insane thing?

It isn't awful at all. I'm probably own a copy myself if it were made available.

But it's OK that it isn't. If Disney doesn't want to bother restoring and releasing a version more faithful to the originals, that's there prerogative and I don't feel any need to resent them for it. Nor do I feel any need to resent Lucas for not doing it,

That's really the thing that bothers me. Not that people want such a thing, but the idea that it ought to exist and ought to be for sale and that it's somehow somebodies fault that it isn't. People are in all too big a hurry to find someone to blame.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Streaming or downloadable movies are convenient and generally alright in quality, but it's the current equivalent to having a VCR. Blu-Ray has been wonderful for niche stuff because it's the modern equivalent to 16mm and perhaps laserdisc. No one who was ever a 16mm or laserdisc collector ever thought it was convenient, but they were the best way to view films in your own home. Streaming has become the new replacement for TV, with similar quality and follies.

Also, if you buy physical media, it's 100% yours outside of a home disaster or theft. A digital file can disappear because of rights or anything. Either way, you're paying for it. I like being able to keep what I pay for indefinitely.

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of Dinsey's blu-rays of their classic animated movies look like loving garbage because they tried to hide the scratchiness of the old animation with aggressive anti-aliasing, it's the loving worst.

Which ones? The only outright garbage ones are The Sword in the Stone, Mickey's Christmas Carol, and Fun and Fancy Free. They don't really have anti-aliasing problems, but they do have some of the worst noise reduction ever. Sword is probably the worst Blu-Ray ever released by a major studio, even with garbage like Predator.

Cinderella and The Aristocats have some issues, but nothing unwatchable. The rest of the 1937-1967 films were all 4K from the successive exposure negatives and handled by Reliance Mediaworks. Bambi could have used another go since it was the very first of the 4Ks back in 2003, but the rest are solid.

• Locked thread