Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The 80s were a hell of a time to read comics, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Michael Moriarty Harry Potter from Troll.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo what are the best movies featuring telekinesis? Besides Akira, obviously

100% The Fury. It's 11 times better than Scanners, in that it repeats the best part 11 times from different angles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well we were just discussing most embaressing moments in comics recently and looks like we have a brand new contender!
https://twitter.com/broderick/status/817010046529916930

I'm cringing hella hard right now, but is this any different than Star Trek having space hippies who were spoiled rich kids who didn't realize that Captain Kirk was reasonable and not a Herbert?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Pam Grier as Superman, Laverne Cox as Batman, please and thank you.

Is this like a production that involves time travel, or archival footage of 70s Pam Grier Superman CGI-spliced into a new Batman movie?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe he went from Out Magazine to the National Review. That was also his big move from eccentric to piece of poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On the one hand I kind of sympathize with Fallon because he's never claimed to be political or hard hitting nor has he ever really not anyone one his show due to politics nor has he ever asked anything but the most softball of softball questions.

On the other hand gently caress him and gently caress everything I just wrote. He's an unfunny spineless hack and the fact that he's pretty much the current king of late night is pathetic on many levels

Someone here once compared Fallon to an entertainer who would enthusiastically participate in propaganda broadcasts for a totalitarian regime. It is the perfect way to describe a spineless obedient hack like him. May he be gutted and left to bleed to death hung by his feet above a rail station for normalizing Trump.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Stuff is so goddamn crazy that it makes God Told Me To look like a traditional narrative. It begins where literally any other movie would have its middle, and then it starts a completely different story that is also in the middle. Michael Moriarty meets Andrea Marcovicci and introduces himself, then at the end of the scene she's his girlfriend.

I'm pretty sure Cohen decided to make them a couple so that he only needed one motel room later. And then there's Paul Sorvino.

Everyone needs to watch this goddamn batshit movie right away.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For the longest time I thought White was a leftist. His contempt for "liberals" can go either way a lot of the time, especially when paired with his apparent contempt for capitalism, which I guess is limited to Hollywood because it's run by liberals? Again, very close to a cultural materialist critique.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

New favorite word today: cthonic. Eagerly waiting for my first chance to misuse it.

"Cthonic The Ctheghog doesth not gently caress. EVER."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The most unbelievable part of that story is that he doesn't just hire women to humiliate and brutalize. So maybe it's true?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this piss thing revenge for him talking poo poo about the CIA a few weeks ago?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

God, Obama's speech was amazing. Or I was trying to savor it more because I doubt we're getting something that eloquent for a long time.

Really looking forward to seeing Trump do some sundowning on live tv tbh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On the same night Obama delivers an eloquent farewell address about reaching the full height of human potential, a war veteran mocked by Trump for being tortured as a prisoner of war leaks a story of urine and prostitutes.

I want to believe. What is happening? What happened to us? What happened to the American dream?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What happened to me not double-posting?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I Before E posted:

The American dream was always horseshit.

Was hoping that someone would say, "it came true. You're looking at it."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly don't know what to believe any more. I thought I was savvy, but now I am lost. Someone tell me what to believe!

Who commissioned this report in the first place and why did nobody take it seriously until now?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SMG, when the Affordable Care Act is repealed, what is going to happen to the quality of your medical care? Is this the proper form of acceleration?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I never would have guessed that in a million years. He doesn't even need to watch superhero movies in the first place!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

For what it's worth I will probably lose mine if Medicaid expansion dies and the answer to that is entirely contingent. If the result is genuine universal healthcare in the near future, it's worth it even if I lose a leg and go broke or die or whatever.

I just got coverage over the exchange two months ago. I am so afraid that I'll lose it that I really don't know what to do. Sometimes I wonder if this is what conservatives felt when the ACA was passed and kind of understand hatred of government, and then I think, "no, that doesn't make a lick of goddamned sense because they couldn't even articulate why it scared them."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hitler liked salad and chocolate, and probably sex. It's best not to follow this train of thought too closely, but we do at least know that Eric Harris never had sex.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

I got rejected from that research job way faster than the one I applied to that I was distinctly unqualified for. Really disappointing, as it's the first job I've applied for where I actually meet every qualification, and have actually been doing the work in a non-professional capacity already with a proven record for excellence. Hard pill to swallow, as my friend has a place set up for me to move into that would've been really great if the job worked out, and in general, I would've been able to stop living on the edge of poverty.

The average job search for any given profession is eight months. Remember that you only need one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lobok posted:

No longer working at a university after his shameful behaviour at archaeological sites cost him his tenure, he now is a regular talking head on various A&E shows.

I want a movie about his years in the early 1990s where he's a lecherous old man in a rest home with one eye who bores his grandkids with stories about his weirdly educational childhood with historical figures instead of his rad nazi-killing years. Why would a 12-year-old care about the time you met Pancho Villa? At least tell him how you got your chin scar, and whip, and hat all in the same afternoon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lobok posted:

Mix and match but you can only use up to three. Repeat words as much as you want.

Subsidized Islamic carnage
Unstoppable Flush Lady

Lady, her solidarity unrealized
Shaka, when the infrastructure rusted!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I joined the DSA and doubled my monthly contributions to to planned parenthood. I've been marching against police brutality since last year because I believe my presence contributes in very small measure to making the org behind the marches visible to the communities most endangered by killer cops, and that lays a foundation for the establishment of alternative networks of support and community protection that might rise up in such neighborhoods.

Power is never going to listen, but we must support and defend one another.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Here's my question about the nazi getting punched: why was NBC putting a nazi on television?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I want to hear your guesses.

Gutless coward media feel a suicidal need to appear even-handed about literally everything.

Gutless coward media prefer bite-sized facile "debate" within a very narrow spectrum compared to the actual complexity of American society. "Nazis: should they be allowed to speak?"

Gutless coward media fear losing the good will of the trump administration enough that they take any excuse to avoid reporting on the demonstrations.

Weak-minded idiot media can't figure out how to compete and settle on the tv equivalent of clickbait to attract attention.

Capitalist vampire media can only conceptualize racism in terms of a literal boogeyman calling for pogroms because its bottom line depends on white supremacy remaining intact.

Idiot reporter confuses carnival sideshow for actual news.

After the beating made it onto tape, the network likely loved it because it allows them to demonize anarchists as "just as bad" and "going too far" so that gutless "fair-minded" liberalism can appear wise and correct, sagely tolerating the barbarians as they walk out into broad daylight to start burning the world down. But that's separate from why that scum reporter was giving the nazi attention in the first place.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Really though I see a lot of people on some "direct action will stop them" and I'm like, theoretically, but in real terms that means interfering with the carrying out of the law, which means coming up against the executive branch, who are better equipped for this kind of thing than the frog meme man. I worry about that.

If half as many people came out to stop the police from rounding up immigrants or muslims as came out yesterday, the police could never succeed. They are reluctant to murder white people who can't be written off as radicals or criminals. If there are enough media left by that point to show it to the world, we'd be in civil rights movement territory.

Join your local DSA! I did just last week.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have bad experiences in general with far-left groups, and the DSA looks pretty similar to the ISO and CPUSA. I'm currently trying to figure out the surely-dreadful aspects of the Progressive Labor Party. I'm hopeful, but hearing that a predominantly middle-class white party had some degree of contention with the Black Panthers doesn't make me optimistic.

Maybe look up the list of sponsors for your closest satellite women's march? Or just wait for it to happen. You'll know when it all starts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

If we're going to be violent towards fascists, can we at least be more creative than punches?

I like the idea of going around inflicting violence on fascists, except limiting myself to only methods used by Bugs Bunny or Kevin McAllister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPq0mNS0-0&t=34s

There is a certain poetic justice in burning them alive, yes. If you haven't realized by his candlelight dinner where he prepares the brutal torture of two unknowing men, Kevin McAllister is a psychopath.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

It's almost shocking it's not adapted from a comic and not just cause of the Superman stuff. It feels like it has reams of excised plot, but not in a bad way.

It kind of plays like in another universe it was a critically acclaimed tv series cancelled after the first season that became popular on dvd, but we're just seeing some kind of highlight reel. The cult and Adam Driver stuff was just begging to be fleshed out with more scenes, but just kind of falls flat without more characterization or interaction with other characters. It's got this powerful Spielberg funk on it that works great for the stoic men at the center, but it kind of seems like we're only seeing half a movie when it's all people staring in curiosity or wonder.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Yo, the GBS Inaguration Candid Camera thread is great. CNN has a gigapixel image up that you can zoom in on.
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

I found Don Fanucci:

Is that regular 1985 Biff behind him, seeing what his alternate timeline self is up to in 2017?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just know there's no way a movie by Peter Berg of all people is going to be more interesting than actually being at the marathon when the bombing happened and subsequently being stuck in my girlfriend's apartment during the lockdown & manhunt. poo poo was pretty wild.

I'm imagining the bombers as looking like the Libyans from Back to the Future rubbing their hands together and cackling while a brace American jogger gasps and yells, you dirty muslims will never get away with hurting America!" while she clutches a crucifix hung around her neck and flies buzz around the bombers, whose complexions get darker in every shot and whose noses get bigger and more hooked on every close-up.

Also a scene where angel-faced white cherubic child Martin Richard asks his parents why people hurt each other. And one where people finishing the race run past the finish line directly into blood donation booths that are already set up, and one where a gutless federal bureaucrat in a bunker, his face hidden by shadows and lighting, refuses a request to send in the marines to get those dirty terrorists.

Also a scene where the one bomber guy hits his wife for wanting to go to community college, and one where the MIT cop who died sits down for dinner with his girlfriend and reflects on how happy he is, right before his shift begins. "Don't worry, honey," he says, "I definitely won't be killed by terrorists."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Speaking of that alt-right friend I severed with, I'm currently having it out with him over how little I give a poo poo about how much neo-nazis and white nationalists hate each other. Should I post censored screen shots, or would that be too icky?

Just post photos of historical dead nazis as responses to whatever he posts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

By which I mean pictures of massacred nazis all burned up and poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The problem with trying to solve things by punching Nazis is that they'll just use it as an example of the how white people really out being oppressed and recruit more and strengthen the resolve of others. To be clear, I am 100% for punching Nazis but you need more than that

You need an axe. Beat 'em or burn 'em. They go up pretty easy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Holy gently caress, it looks like the person that recorded and leaked the tapes of republicans talking in Philly about how they have no idea what to do after repealing Obamacare is a friend of my wife.

It's been a big day.

Maybe she'll get black-bagged while you're all having dinner together!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snak posted:

Man, changing the thread icon has really hosed with my ability to locate this thread on my bookmarks page...

I'm sure you all remember my rant last week about my religious studies class "Religion and Mythology in Science Fiction". Well I just started a reading for that class that's talking about Joss Whedon's Doll House :barf:

Interesting scholarship can be done on things that are bad. There are interesting ideas in Dollhouse and some interesting performances.

There is at least one good article yet to be written about blackness and race in Whedon things. He has some deep anxieties going on there that he covers in weird ways.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm kind of ok with America being an object lesson to the rest of the world. I mean, I'm not ok with living here and all the death and suffering that's coming to innocent people, but if we teach a good lesson to everyone else, I'm glad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big box stores will be dead soon. Retail is imploding.

• Locked thread