Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Watching boyhood currently and so far my takeaway is that no matter what happens, no matter where you go or how things change, dragonball z will be there for u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

First movie I watched in 2017 was Jesus' Son, and Jesus It Sucked. It's the precocious indie answer to Trainspotting.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I liked that it consistently maintained its curiously buoyant tone as the body count kept rising. I'm now inclined to check out the original short story collection as its apparently different tonally to the movie (really dug the author cameo in it, though).

To be honest I found it irritating enough that I turned it off with probably 40 minutes left (which I really rarely do), but maybe it got better as things progressed.

In any case, let's keep 2017 gumby everybody

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I think you would've been most annoyed with the third act, unless you think this sort of movie deserves to end on a grace note.

It was partially a matter of the politics of style of the film, a kind of cuteness that came across as self-satisfied condescension, and partially that, as someone who struggles with mental illness and psychiatric medication, I bristle real easily at the romanticization of psychoactive drugs in cinema.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I'm not sure if its romanticization as much as Fuckhead's lack of emotional response to all the poo poo that happens to him: he just takes it and runs with it. The most emotional Crudup ever gets is with the bunnies, I think.

When I say romanticization here, I don't mean that it makes drug use look appealing, but rather that it makes it look Important and like something that Deep People do.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Is Tampopo worth a trip in town to see?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Let's all work to pursue our dreams in the New Year. Never one to give up, I have decided to submit a follow-up application to Candy.com. My last resume may have been a little too boastful, so I've decided to turn it down a few notches and focus upon communicating my experience with humility and frank honesty.

http://tinyurl.com/zsnq9r4

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is good and funny. I would hire you if I were Candy.com.

As for dreams I am going to either go to film school or make at least one short film per month for each month of the year*. The second choice has the upside of being cheaper but the downside of me having to still do almost all the work myself and only having access to entry level equipment.

*After I finish my current project of a found footage comedy series about potato chips that starts out like a vlog and slowly morphs into a conspiracy thriller after the protagonist is kidnapped by Doritos extremists. We've already finished filming the first 7 episodes and then the show will take a short hiatus while we film the final three since those require sets other than my apartment, a whole bunch of actors, special effects and by extension a shitload of planning.

No poo poo? I once wrote up a short script for a commercial for my friend for the Doritos super bowl competition that modeled itself on ISIS videos and followed a guerilla campaign to demand the release of Doritos 3D.

edit: He also had a great idea for a cyberpunk dystopia commercial that took place in a red-neon lit factory where nacho cheese Doritos were being manufactured, and an old man monologued about the time in the past when people had the freedom to choose, only to be cut off by a punk with a neon red mohawk telling him that nobody wanted to hear his stories, and to shut up and eat his do-rashions like everybody else.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Does anyone have a book or website they'd recommend for daily writing prompts/exercises? I lean towards fiction but writing's writing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

weekly font posted:

The final 40 of Why Don't You Play In Hell? is a high point in cinema history.

I thought this was where the movie went from having promise to totally squandering it, myself. So disappointed by Sion Sono.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I read my posts in the voice of an old white man reading a black lady character in a Stephen King audiobook.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Yo, church, tonight on TCM it's prison flicks - line-up's Cool Hand Luke, Brute Force, Riot in Cell Block 11, The Big House, The Last Mile, and Each Dawn I Die.

I watched Cool Hand Luke in high school and I apparently forgot about 60% of the movie, because I honestly thought it was a movie about a prisoner who, after earning the admiration of his fellow inmates for refusing to yield to the warden, heroically dies in an attempt to eat 100 eggs and is compared to Christ for it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I was pretty miffed when I bought an official release of Mononoke and the quality and subtitling were obviously inferior to the fan bootleg I had before.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yo what are the best movies featuring telekinesis? Besides Akira, obviously

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wow, drat. One of the inmates I've been in correspondence with requested some sheet music, and I'm trying to get it to him, but A) I can't find it for free anywhere, and B) even if I bought it, it gets watermarked with my name so that I can't legally distribute it to him, meaning the COs will probably destroy it. What a hassle.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Could you buy it under his name?

Nah, cause it'd be over credit card.

I'll check the library, though I'm not hopeful they'll have this pretty recent song.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Send them a tab

What is it? They publish a lot of modern music physically, you might be able to grab a book

Or hell, you could get someone to transcribe it for a few bucks, I'm sure

It's Tim McGraw's "humble and kind," which makes all these suggestions about how to smuggle the sheets in a lot funnier. He apparently doesn't know how to read tabs though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

One of my correspondents is a good-natured sweetheart that's dying to see the Assassin's Creed movie and is in a jailhouse dnd campaign and the other is a dark as gently caress murderer who lays around listening to outlaw country and thinking about the apocalypse.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

So basically prison makes you a nerd, of a flavour suited to your character?

Piss off, I'm maintaining a relationship with the both of them.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I'm the guy that's subtly coaxed you all into spelling it "jokes" instead of the correct spelling of "joakes" like everyone used to.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

So, Titanfall 2 kinda just seems like it'd be a better game without the mechs entirely. They don't do anything interesting in terms of strategy and they control like rear end. Every match boils down to being the first one to get a group of three titans together and then just controlling the map.

Also their main game mode involving scoring based on NPC soldiers (in addition to player kills) is an interesting idea but it'd be nice if they had more meaningful interaction with the gameplay, like they had to actually hold an area or could accomplish something for your team instead of just being point bags.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Here's Georges Méliès' "The Astronomer's Dream" (1898). This is an interesting counterpart to "A Trip to the Moon" (1902). As "Trip" makes clear, Méliès finds the scientific mindset to be a target for ridicule. In "Dream," we see a more sympathetic, but by no means forgiving, take on the scientist.

The same imaginative, mercurial dream imagery that would go on to delight in "Trip" is inflected with a sense of despair and apprehension here. The astronomer fears that his aspiration, the moon, will always elude him, but it's more than that: what he finds, in exploration of the stars, is that the universe is utterly ambivalent to human life, and that even to read evil into that is hopeless narcissism.

But there's a deeper terror, still. The shifting, transmutative imagery at play in the film suggests a fear that strikes at the core of the scientific mindset: that the rule of the universe is chaos, that there is truly no consistency and no design in creation, and that all of the logic, method, and systems of the scientist are only narrow phenomenology, cobbled together out of a harrowing spiritual need.

Respect to Méliès for being able to communicate this experience on an emotional level with a big goofy moon man and a lady in a gauzy dress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SMIiQZUcs

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I forgot that I had promised to post some cool OVA's in here now and then, so I'll put some more up later, but for now have this lovely music video done by Ghibli in the early 90's:

https://vimeo.com/15103971

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Also here's the opening welcome message from DAICON IV, an Osaka sci-fi convention from 1984. Shouts out to the part that's just like "YEAH HORSES":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

You saw Princess Mononoke tonight, didn't you? I had never seen that video until before the showing.

No, but my friend did which would explain why they shared that with me. I actually don't really like Princess Mononoke!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dunno "dedicated to the dope people of Afghanistan" has some weird connotations.

:laffo:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

The newest character Sanrio came up with seems to be a change of pace for the company...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvClxgjYJZ4

This rules.

Also, I promised more OVA's, so here's Dirty Pair! There's more to this series than just the OVA, there's a few movies, manga, and I believe a full TV series, but this is all I've seen. I like this OVA a lot, it's got a classic aesthetic, 80s anime at its peak, and it's just so fun and weirdly wholesome for a cheesecakey comedy/action series. I always felt like it was the anime version of The A-Team. Love that ending theme, too. If you're only gonna scope one episode, episode 2 is a fun take on The Terminator.

This episode is a pretty good primer for the OVA as a whole: the way that the COs and the prisoners are both ridiculed and treated flippantly as absurd characters encapsulates the breezy, anti-machismo vibe that I dig about Dirty Pair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN7Uf7I3D0

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 7, 2017

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Tonight I'm hoping that the opposite will prove true and someone with bland, thoughtless tastes in stuff will end up being cool and interesting to talk to.

Even if not though, I'm gonna go eat burgers and see Tampopo with a cute lady so whatever.

Shane rules, by the way.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

Give me Sion Sono's budget and let me remake Tokyo Tribe. All the gaudiness and hedonistic excess calls to me but the script and direction fall so far short of the set design, costuming, and conceit.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Also I'd reshoot Sonatine shot for shot but minus the rape scene.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Tampopo (1985) rules. Comedy is a genre I'm really fickle about, I think that's true of most people, but I really adore the ones that pass the bar. The marketing for the film is quick to compare it to a western, but it's really more aligned with the Leslie Nielsen school of filmmaking, if still particularly Japanese in sensibility.

Tampopo is a film that really understands that food is the primal experience of love (the emblematic closing shot affirms this), and that all of our subsequent engagements with food are a nostalgic attempt to recapture that unparalleled feeling. But as we grow and mature, that simple pleasure necessarily becomes more complex: we chase novel sensory delight and the cuisine itself becomes more complex, we bind ourselves with ritual and etiquette, we layer erotic desire onto its signifiers, etc. This is pure absurdity, and it's a rich space for comedy that Tampopo exploits with a warm, affectionate sense of humanity.

It's a great movie, and probably the best date movie I've ever seen.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Shane (1953) is a strange, compelling knot of a movie. Despite my professed affinity for the western genre, I’ll be the first to confess that the American western has never really resonated with me. A countercultural degenerate like me naturally gravitates towards subversive pictures like Johnny Guitar, or genre meditations like the Euro westerns or El Topo. Shane is situated in an interesting position, along that spectrum. It’s fondly remembered as a classic, nostalgic, traditional western of the Virginian pattern. I remember my dad watching it often in my childhood. But seeing it myself with fresh eyes, it’s just so unapologetically weird!

The American western nearly always concerns itself with what America is and what we want it to be. That question of values is borne out in Shane’s conflict between Joe Sr. and Roof Riker, but it’s not the tropic tycoon vs stalwart private citizen conflict that we’ve come to expect. Roof Riker is a desperate man, one who, through the encroachment of homesteaders on the western range, finds his mode of subsistence becoming economically untenable. In this, Riker ironically finds himself occupying the position of the Native American peoples that he boasts about having collaborated to genocide. Riker “tamed” the west by forcing the plains tribes into armed contention in order to secure his grazing lands, and now, as homesteaders erect fences and shift the landscape into an agrarian mode of production, he finds himself reduced to a thug on the margins of society, forced towards violent resistance (despite his notable attempts to avoid as much) to prolong his way of life.

Riker is the massacring American, the legacy of Manifest Destiny, and his work is done. What follows is the work of forgetting him. The homesteader represents a cleaner, more morally upright American, who can (as Riker points out, in his way) inherit the fruits of genocide while evincing their complicity with it. But you can’t erase the killer with a gun; it takes a camera. Enter the eponymous gunslinger, stoic and well-meaning, emerging from a romantic, vaguely unsavory past. The cinematic cowboy can do more than kill Riker, he can replace him.

Shane is entirely aware of the craven, insidious nature of the western project. Its narrative is constructed in such a fashion that violence is the failure state. Every party involved is maneuvering in such a way as to eschew, minimize, or at least stifle and mute violent conflict. We went to make a clean break: we long move beyond the bloody legacy of our nation without giving up the dividends of that violence, but it seems impossible. Riker waits in the dark, and he’s not leaving. Shane takes on the burden of eliminating Riker and his gang in a display of marvelous cinematic violence, but this too is an admission that we’ve ultimately failed. Unable to reconcile his inherent killer tendencies with a peaceful life, Shane has to ride off into the dark.

The cinematic eclipse of our genocidal history is incomplete, and in Shane, this is made strikingly clear in the peculiar character of Joe Jr. Frequently used as an audience surrogate, Joe Jr is a character that might be more at home in a horror film: a little homunculus that soaks up the inexpressible libidinal excesses of the film’s characters, always at hand to reproduce them in enlarged form. It’s worth noting that Joe Jr. is the only character that wears a cowboy costume for most of the movie. Joe Jr grooms the apprehensive cast of Shane for the cinematic form, goading them towards violence and brutality because that’s what happens in the pulp novels that form his imaginative landscape. When the cinematic gunslinger rides out, he isn’t carrying the legacy of frontier violence off with him. He leaves behind Joe Jr, well taught, eager with empty rifle.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

weekly font posted:

Noroi near 400 is loving criminal and part of why I'm only going to fill in my gaps up through 300. There's just not enough high caliber horror to fill a 1000s list. That said, you're doing god's work.

Noroi rules.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

We abruptly had to move out of the house I spent my teens in and it was like fleeing an apocalypse, so I feel you.

Haha yeah, my parents lost our house to the bank when I was a teenager (due to mental illness on their part making it impossible for them to manage their finances) and due to the same conditions, they didn't face facts until the eviction crew was literally on our doorstep, so I got hit with "put what you want to keep in a suitcase, the rest is going in a dumpster, also you aren't going to college".

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Just applied for a research job that I'm actually qualified for and would pay a living wage and allow me to move to the city, so lend me your fuckin energy everybody.

Gonna be real hard waiting for three+ weeks to hear back while still working full time in a call center+living in a laundry room

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

My hometown's public library shared its building space with a strip club, which is one of the few perks of being poor. We got a few eviction notices growing up but Mama always made them go away somehow. It must've really sucked going through the "pack a suitcase" ordeal, Robot homie.

It's been harder on my parents, over all. The behavior that brought them to that point hasn't changed, instead they now just fixate on owning an opulent mansion and defer actually doing anything with their lives until they climb put of the temporary embarrassment they've been living in for eight years now. Also they've started hoarding expensive sealed-in-box appliances and electronics "for the house" and they eat at restaurants most of the time because they "don't have a kitchen".

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Switch being $300 is cool. I'll get one eventually if it actually has some games, and I'll definitely sit out the first cycle in case of build quality issues. The controller looks uncomfortable, too. My friend gave me his 3DS a few months ago but the games are all too expensive, like drat guy, these games are like five years old, c'mon. I've been playing Ocarina of Time again thanks to my secret santa though!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

(Also, Trump's favorite movie is Citizen Kane, which is a bucket of hilarity right there)

He's almost surely never seen it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I usually can't listen to music while I read because I find it too distracting, but for some reason Slayer is just fine. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I got rejected from that research job way faster than the one I applied to that I was distinctly unqualified for. Really disappointing, as it's the first job I've applied for where I actually meet every qualification, and have actually been doing the work in a non-professional capacity already with a proven record for excellence. Hard pill to swallow, as my friend has a place set up for me to move into that would've been really great if the job worked out, and in general, I would've been able to stop living on the edge of poverty.

• Locked thread