Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Last of 2016: Out of Sight (rewatch) or Fences if it's the last thing I hadn't seen before - really happy with either of those as a close-out.
First of 2017: Midnight Special which was really underwhelming.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yojimbo is so good. My first movie was a terrible David Blaine special that someone at the party put on. He poked an icepick through his arm multiple times and it was extremely gross.

That special thoroughly rules. David Blaine pushing an icepick through his arm and giggling to punish Ricky Gervais for not reacting more to him sticking the card on the ceiling was sublime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wait wait I got one more:

You know that episode of King of the Hill where Bill dresses as Santa for Christmas and everyone thinks it's cute and he can't let go of that feeling so he starts dressing as Santa all year round and it gets really sad? That's Film Crit Hulk.

That's the single best description of him I've read.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Does anyone have any background info about when Marilyn Monroe said she'd never have to suck another Jewish cock again?

(people here seem to have some rare showbiz knowledge, which is why I ask)

Isn't that in the Snickers commercial with Willem Dafoe?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

I seen folks being like "yo don't hate on The Young Pope, because it's very much in on its own jokes" and I'm like, man... nothing could make me hate on it more

I saw that there were like two of those articles on (the HBO-sponsored) The Ringer with one saying Silence could learn from The Young Pope.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

"The Young Pope uses LMFAO's Sexy and I Know It to score the young pope getting dressed. That's good." - credible person on a HBO-sponsored website

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

FishBulb posted:

It was rad gently caress off

I own The One on DVD and it's worth it if only because I learned from the director's commentary that they cast Delroy Lindo in it because they loved him in The Cider House Rules.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I wonder if kids ever called him rear end Butt in school.

Unless he was homeschooled, yes. If he was homeschooled, probably also yes.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Peter Berg has never made bad movie

Is Hancock considered not bad now? I'm like 1/4 on actually liking Peter Berg movies..

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Who's all gonna watch Dark Archie with me

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/824754438137139202

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

the new ones are real good

When I first read that Ryan North was taking over I almost bought an Archie/Sabrina the Teenage Witch comic book as an adult, which was a bridge I didn't want to cross. I'm totally checking out Dark Archie this weekend though.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm watching a really disgusting episode of SVU and man, James Van Der Beek deserves to be a star. Not like, a lovely Dawson's Creek star, but like, "plays sociopaths for the next 40 years" star.

DC Murderverse posted:

please son, don't act like I haven't seen every episode of that show. It began my love of Le Beek.

If you haven't seen The Rules of Attraction, I don't think it's possible to be further in the target demo.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

What the heck Soderberg's Solaris is actually good and it has Clooney's rear end??!?!!

I took a Russian film class in college and by far the highlight was at the pre-Solaris viewing lecture where the professor, a big Zizek-looking guy, said that the Soderbergh version was good "if you like the Clooney" in the most contemptuous voice imaginable.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I have an irrational hatred of people calling records "vinyls" and I can't stand when people who don't even own turntables buy records.

Semi-related to this - if you do have a turntable, how many records do you have to own for it not to be weird? I was talking about this with a friend like a year ago and they said just one, and I think that's total bullshit.

Lurdiak posted:

Wanna hang out with that professor.

It was Ilya Kutik, searching around to see if he was still teaching the class I just learned he was on a stamp. It was really great, I never would have seen stuff like The Cranes Are Flying or Burnt by the Sun if I didn't take it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

Also get the Thai Iced Tea.

There's a Thai place with great lunch specials a few blocks away from where I work, and they have a "no ice" option for the iced tea that I'm almost afraid to try because I'm pretty sure that'd be the equivalent of slamming a can of sweetened condensed milk.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

How did Pushing Tin get made? It's not terrible or anything like that, but what studio head said "let's make a movie with John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton as feuding air traffic controllers"?

Honestly the premise is the third weirdest thing about Pushing Tin, behind having Cate Blanchett do a Long Island accent and the weird CGI shots of the planes passing over Cusack/Thornton and them getting launched backwards like ragdolls.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Looks like Sargon was booted off Twitter too. Good. Go after Thunderf00t next. Why the gently caress are so many of these non political Youtube celebrities turn out to be poo poo (Hehe), besides obviously being white.

I think the only self-aware youtube personalities are Bo Burnham and the HowtoBasic guy.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Alright who's gonna bite the bullet and read Max Landis' Power Rangers script?

How many unproduced scripts floating around are even worth reading? Maybe I just don't know where to look, but the insane Richard Kelly Holes one is the only one I can think of.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Has anyone seen The Alchemist Cookbook? I think that's the first "extremely my poo poo" movie I've seen so far this year.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I'm glad that the horrific violence that's plagued Chicago the past few years is prime material for both a non-satirical Robocop show and a laugh track sitcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgVuLFwaW1E

I'm really curious to see the portrayal of Uptown - from what I've read they're talking about rapid gentrification and that's surprising to me. I moved into an apartment there in like August 2015 and as long as I've been here, it's seemed like a real shithole, albeit one where I can get the cheapest convenient apartment :shrug:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

gently caress, I got tripped up too. It's 70.

He was right, by order of operations, 5 + 1 * 10.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I forget what the first movie that I thought was crap in the theater was, but I remember the first and only time a movie literally bored me to sleep in a theater (Alexander) and the first and only time that I wanted to just leave instead of finishing something out (Stealth; I pretended to take a bathroom break for like twenty minutes and wandered into the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake).

That was a span of about a year between 2004-2005 where I also saw Son of the Mask on like opening night. I disliked it less than either of those iirc

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah part 2 is the apex of the franchise I think. The first one comes up with the cool idea and then the second one really takes it as far as it can go.

I'd 100% agree with that, but stuff like the gymnastics scene in 5 keep me coming back. I'm a total sucker for stuff like that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

If I'm talking about diegetic music in a movie I use diegetic, but I don't think I've ever used the term in any other context. vOv

More importantly, I finally started up Dark Archie and I'm really digging it. I hope Archie stays as much of a complete pud as he is so far, the contrast between him and all the other Dark Teens rules.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A remake of The Godfather where all the characters are constantly eating hamburgers.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

We'll probably have a female president before we have a female late night host (if this is a thing that has already happened, please correct me).

Chelsea Handler.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Or cried like an infant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9YRD4KrIqQ&t=121s

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm more excited to see the new lasagna cat uploads than I was to see John Wick: Chapter 2 yesterday.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

My favorite theater reaction was a 1-2 punch seeing Interstellar like opening weekend. There was an ~80 year old lady sitting directly behind us, and when Michael Caine is first introduced at the big NASA table with the sweeping music she yelled out a disgusted "JESUS CHRIST" and as soon as the credits rolled she said "That was the worst poo poo I've seen in my life" at full volume.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

They elected scaredycat 'centrism rules' mccompromise as the new chair.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

High Plains Drifter is on right now. I understood there was a rape scene in it but holy poo poo it was absolutely played for laughs :shepface: The rest of the movie could be perfect but that's a huge step too far for me.

Isn't it like the first thing that happens in the movie too? That was enough for me to switch to something else when I was going to watch it a few years ago and it's literally the only thing I remember about it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Maybe do something like this and just overload it with ham?

CPL593H posted:

This one is perfectly appropriate. God that movie was a pile of trash.

Hearing her trash it like that was the silver lining to seeing it that night. I went with two other friends and we settled on that because I saw Birdman like three days beforehand, one friend saw Nightcrawler the previous week, and we were either going to miss the first half an hour of Whiplash or wait two hours for the next one. For the last hour or so there might as well have been a loop of Lincoln yelling "Now you hosed up!" from that one WKUK sketch playing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

actually Leonardo DiCaprio saved the envelope from his presenting and personally handed it to Warren telling him it was the Best Picture results.

Leo will play Warren in the movie about this incident 30 years from now.

I read on twitter that DiCaprio gave Emma Stone the envelope/card and she still had it backstage so there might have been a second one printed?

Maxwell Lord posted:

This way it gets not to be the focus of pieces about how out of touch the Academy is, whereas I don't foresee Moonlight getting much of a backlash.

This is exactly why I picked Moonlight in my office pool :angel:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXtISrMwVc

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

30 Minutes or Less is a kinda ghoulish concept for a movie but it has some top tier Danny McBride
"I'm loving this bitch, you're just holding the camera"
"I taught myself how to eat pussy and cut my own hair"
"Sometimes fate pulls out its big ol cock and slaps you right in face."

The really ghoulish thing is that the guy the story's based on got brutally murdered by the bomb. That kinda casts a pall over the whole thing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Do tell?

You don't want him to tell. You want to see Nocturnal Animals.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nah, it's not dumb, people stan for Criterion all the time. companies aren't just blindly fumbling around, if they have a philosophy you like and a track record you like feel free.

What is dumb is that I thought Annapurna and A24 were the same company until like last year.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

I just spent the last half hour hype as gently caress for Woodley vs. Wonderboy II and I'm fully at peace with the fact that this means I have terrible middlebrow MMA taste

I have probably the most lowbrow UFC taste where I just want to see heavyweights either destroying dudes or get destroyed depending on the guy. Overeem/Hunt and Lewis/Browne have been platonic ideals of what I'm looking for.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone still use Criticker? Whenever I try to rank something right now it's stuck in the submitting phase and it's been like that all weekend.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think a lot of people migrated to Letterboxd.

gently caress reranking over 1900 movies.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Music Box in Chicago is the best that I've ever been to. They do their 70mm festival every year, they show great movies all the time, and they do cool special event stuff as well. Plus they show as many movies as they can in 35mm.

I think one of the biggest turnarounds I've had on a movie is going from watching Dune on a crappy TV with like three people not knowing what I was going into to watching Dune at the Music Box with a game crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

This was the first year I was A) not in school B) making decent money and I got demolished by my taxes. Ended up owing like 10 bucks when last year I got a 2K return.

I got sucker-punched too, I went from getting like ~$750 last year to owing $358. At least I wasn't giving the government an interest free loan :shrug:

• Locked thread