Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

2016 2: 2017 - The Quickening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Of course it's based on Kafka's Metamorphosis in which a successful middle aged man learns to be a better father after he is turned into a bug and hilarity ensues.

There should be a reversal where a bug transforms into a human and becomes a successful businessman

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think the thread needs a little more time in the oven.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Neil Cicierega's mashups are pure gold:
https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/dear-dinosaur
https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/crocodile-chop
https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/smooth
https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/smooth-flow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I gifted myself German Netflix for the new year, and the first movie I'm (re-) watching is Wrath of the Titans. It really is so much better than Clash, if only for how tired Sam Worthington is of all these Titans.

Not only better, it's a great film on its own. I like how it's basically a western, except with Greek mythology stuff.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why does superman fight a LotR orc in this lovely batman v superman movie

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

First screening of 2017: Green Room
(Thanks, axleblaze)

Holy poo poo is that movie intense. My hands were shaking by the end of the film.

(Also, Nazi Punks gently caress Off)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think people also set the bar too high. I mean, I liked all of the Star Wars films so far, but we're talking about a franchise that's only produced two actual great movies and one is more important than actually great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That arm injury almost made me retch. Holy gently caress.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Streaming or downloadable movies are convenient and generally alright in quality, but it's the current equivalent to having a VCR. Blu-Ray has been wonderful for niche stuff because it's the modern equivalent to 16mm and perhaps laserdisc. No one who was ever a 16mm or laserdisc collector ever thought it was convenient, but they were the best way to view films in your own home. Streaming has become the new replacement for TV, with similar quality and follies.

Also, if you buy physical media, it's 100% yours outside of a home disaster or theft. A digital file can disappear because of rights or anything. Either way, you're paying for it. I like being able to keep what I pay for indefinitely.

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of Dinsey's blu-rays of their classic animated movies look like loving garbage because they tried to hide the scratchiness of the old animation with aggressive anti-aliasing, it's the loving worst.

Which ones? The only outright garbage ones are The Sword in the Stone, Mickey's Christmas Carol, and Fun and Fancy Free. They don't really have anti-aliasing problems, but they do have some of the worst noise reduction ever. Sword is probably the worst Blu-Ray ever released by a major studio, even with garbage like Predator.

Cinderella and The Aristocats have some issues, but nothing unwatchable. The rest of the 1937-1967 films were all 4K from the successive exposure negatives and handled by Reliance Mediaworks. Bambi could have used another go since it was the very first of the 4Ks back in 2003, but the rest are solid.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think multiple cuts is one of the best extras you can have on Blu-Ray. Especially since it's more practical. Sony had to release the DVD edition of their 30th anniversary set for Close Encounters of the Third Kind over three discs (one for each cut) while the Blu-Ray has all three cuts on one disc.

MacheteZombie posted:

Speaking of alt versions. Does the Hateful Eight bluray contain the 70mm version with the interlude?

No and it seems like it'll remain a 70mm print exclusive.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

blue squares posted:

my new hobby is to once a week (at least) throw on a movie that is going to really drive my surround sound system. Today is my last day before getting back to real life so I watched Pacific Rim and then Lone Survivor back to back. Both were great but Lone Survivor was much more impressive on a sound level. Pacific Rim was LOUD, but Lone Survivor was so rich in sound. Bullets flying, explosions, ambient sound, everything was top notch.

I'm thinking about making a thread about best home theater showoff movies, discussion about if/when to upgrade to 4k, etc.

Do it. I'll contribute.

While I don't care as much about whether a track has surround or not, I love it when it's an immersive mix.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

My friend just showed me that when he did his last job as an exterminator he asked the guy if he could keep a VHS in his collection that was sitting downstairs. He said yes. The VHS?

I'm so jealous.

That movie must be incomprehensible in pan & scan.

Also, I'm not a fan of the movie, but Criterion's artwork is awesome:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I bought The Third Man when it was only $16.99 on Amazon. :smug:

Spatulater bro! posted:

Any nostalgia I might have for VHS ends as soon as I think about this. Poor sound and picture quality is one thing, but 99% of the films you find on VHS are presented in an incorrect aspect ratio. Sure some of the covers were cool, but VHS was cinephiles' worst enemy.

I don't think it was that bad in general since most films shot for standard widescreen (1.85:1) tend to work just fine.

Scope films are simply murdered. Can you believe films like The Royal Tenenbaums or Moulin Rouge! even had 4x3 versions? They're unwatchable because every single shot is composed in such a way that it's unintelligible without the full image.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think I ever pre-ordered a Criterion, though I ordered Army of Shadows when it was going OOP off Criterion's site. Well worth it.

The only pre-orders I've had this decade were the Lawrence of Arabia gift set, Napoleon, Masters of Cinema Metropolis steelbook, and the Marx Brothers set. And It's Such a Beautiful Day if that counts.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also official release of the holiday special

I agree with George Lucas. It's absolute garbage. The only good part, the Boba Fett cartoon, is on the Complete Saga Blu-Ray set, anyways.

(If I were a betting man, I'd say we're finally getting at least Star Wars '77 unaltered this year. It's the 40th anniversary and there's a new 4K restoration)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think there's anything wrong with small fixes or cleaning up effects as long as it's seamless.

More so, the filmmakers ought to be involved or at least the fixes reflect what you'd see in original prints.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To Lucas' defense, the Special Editions only exist because Star Wars '77 was in such loving hideous condition by 1994. Since 30-40% of the effects had to be re-composited anyways...

Also, Han shooting Greedo was changed apparently because the MPAA threatened a PG-13 re-rating. That's also why a few frames were snipped here and there to remove impacts of blaster hits. Of course, it's a moot point considering the last three Star Wars films have been rated PG-13...

For that matter, the MPAA changed THX-1138 from PG to R for the director's cut, despite the content that earned that rating was always in the film.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 4, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Gorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis is the best Metropolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNaaogT8fs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbE44C6So8k&t=517s

wyoming posted:

There is no original cut of Brazil.

Not exactly. Gilliam's initial cut was released in Europe. He cut it as a compromise to get Universal to release it. The director's cut as released by Criterion is basically the European cut with a few of the US cut changes that Gilliam preferred.

Also, the premiere cuts of Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago are lost. The 1988 restoration of LoA was trimmed slightly per David Lean and one scene omitted due to missing audio. Doctor Zhivago was initially released about 10-15 minutes longer before it was trimmed to its current cut. This was only because David Lean had to deliver an edit in time for the premiere.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, I read that the '73 cut of The Exorcist was supervised/approved by the cinematographer for Blu-Ray while William Friedkin approved the 2000 cut.

Same cinematographer OK'd the re-done French Connection Blu-Ray which did away with the awkward desaturated colors from the original disc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

I imagine Disney would have to deliver the biggest dumpster truck full of cash at Fox's front door in order to get that released, though.

Not exactly.

George Lucas traded the ownership of Star Wars '77 for the merchandising rights. Great decision, but it means that it'll remain the only Star Wars property not wholly owned by Lucasfilm. Even The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are owned by Lucasfilm, but Fox has most distribution rights until 2020.

While few films are as big as Star Wars, it'll be as simple as Fox licensing rights to Disney. Studios do this all the time. Disney traded the contract for someone at ESPN to Universal for exchange for all the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons Walt produced.

One idea would be that Fox could license Star Wars '77 to Disney in exchange for licenses to parts of their library or the rights to remakes.

I don't know if the new 4K was a Fox or Lucasfilm project. However, you can't restore the film in 4K without going back to the original elements. All the 1997 stuff was rendered at 2K or less. Given that they've reworked parts piecemeal... the Kenobi/Vader fight was totally rotoscoped from scratch for the 2004 master, so they had to use the camera negative.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 4, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo what are the best movies featuring telekinesis? Besides Akira, obviously

The Empire Strikes Back :colbert:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The new Macbook is such a perfect metaphor for the new Apple, it looks great, but to make it work it ends up with so much poo poo hanging off it it looks like it's on life support.

I get what they're trying for and that's admirable, even if it's not currently the most practical for all uses.

Back when I was in college, I had to plug in my mouse, an Ethernet cable, my printer via USB, and speakers. Plus anything else I needed to use. Even flash drives. On my current desktop, my printer, mouse, keyboard, and internet connection are all wireless. The only thing actually connected is my external backup drive. I could have gotten a model that's wireless. USB drives aren't as manditory anymore because you can upload stuff to iCloud or Google Drive now.

However, all this is dependent on whether Bluetooth or Wi-Fi are fast enough. Same reason why I don't think digital files are quite there yet for home video. If you have a fast enough device and a fast connection, great. If not...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only notable thing I've contributed to the Internet is making this GIF about ten years ago:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

But don't they already have that license to print cash? My understanding is that when a company licenses out a film, they aren't just licensing out one particular version of the film but the film as a whole, which is how (for example) Criterion is able to do a Brazil release with like 3 different versions of the movie including the "Love Conquers All" cut. By this logic, Disney already being able to distribute A New Hope would mean that it's entirely their call when to release the unaltered version. Am I wrong on this?

There's a lot of different levels. Who owns the copyright? Who owns the negative? What ancillary rights are involved? What's in the contracts?

There's also the fact that Fox isn't going to burn any bridges by doing something without Lucasfilm's involvement, even if they can legally do otherwise. Besides the fact that a lawsuit could happen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61iZXRCAL6s

Timby posted:

Gareth Edwards said that he was shown the 4K restoration by John Knoll when the Rogue One team was visiting Lucasfilm, so I presume it was done without any involvement from Fox.

I think Lucasfilm probably owns the negative, but Fox owns the copyright.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I don't quite understand this. Does Fox's ownership pertain strictly to theatrical distribution or theatrical and video? Because of Fox are the rights holders for the video release why don't they just put out the original versions themselves?

Theatrical and video, but Lucasfilm owns the trademarks.

The rest of the films they have worldwide distribution theatrically and on video until 2020, which is when they'll revert back 100% to Lucasfilm. A shorter timeframe was used on other Lucasfilm productions, which is why Willow was originally released theatrically by MGM, on VHS/laserdisc by Columbia, and the DVD/Blu-Ray by Fox. It'll eventually end up distributed by Disney when Fox's distribution ends.

There's also ethics involved. As much as everyone wants the original cuts, Fox would be a dick to release the films against Lucas' approval. Consider it karma for all the movies studios butchered prior to release.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 6, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I actually got more of a Faustian vibe from this short film. A scientist obsessed with discovering the mysteries of the universe strikes a deal with the devil, but soon comes to realise that no physical experience can bring him lasting happiness. In the end, he is saved from damnation by divine intervention. A condemnation of those who would literally and figuratively reach for the stars while neglecting their spiritual well-being, but simultaneously a celebration of divine grace.

It's a really cool short either way, though, with a fantastic-looking moon. Thanks for posting it.

Melies was 100 years ahead of his time. He knew how to tell a good story in 15 minutes or less, keep it interesting, and never lack in creativity. He made over 500 films within two decades, which is insane.

He would have killed it on YouTube.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

So glad that Shout! Factory are bringing TALES FROM THE HOOD to Blu-Ray. Now it can replace my dirty old copy.

The cover art is typical Shout! Factory awesomeness:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've always thought the character names in The Fly were amusing.

Seth Brundle
Veronica Quaife
Stathis Borans
Brent Cheevers

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I really wish Kevin Brownlow and David Gill's miniseries Hollywood was on (legal) DVD because it's pretty much a 13-hour crash course on American silent films.

One episode just covers cinematography and special effects work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyND6k3Z1M

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone put dubs from the laserdisc on YouTube, but they're gone now.

The sad thing is that every single clip had the rights cleared for a home video release some years ago (the last holdout was Warner Bros. approving The Jazz Singer), but no one wants to release it on video in the US or UK.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TWO WEEKS

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

weekly font posted:

Cut to view of C+P loudly ranting about Chainsaw Scumfuck to an empty chair.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Accurate

For real though, I had a nice time and we kissed and stuff, it was cute. Then we buttfucked* and she saw my boner**

*lit a cig off her cig
**the skeleton I have in my car

I keep meaning to buy one of those full size plastic skeletons from Costco to keep in my car.

My uncle has one and keeps it on the living room couch in October, the rest of the year in the study sitting on a cabinet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

The Phantom Tollbooth. Chuck Jones' film is just a mess and a poor adaptation of the book. I'm thinking of an old school roadshow film with a cast full of great character actors, sparse use of CGI (use stop-motion when possible), and shooting at actual locations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I briefly considered making a Scorpio Rising-like documentary in college about furries before better judgement took hold.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Phantom Tollbooth seems like a great excuse for a fantasia of physical effects.

Basically use all old school techniques like miniatures, puppets, forced perspective, and wires.

Also, shoot in Super Panavision and IMAX instead of 3-D and high frame rate.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Remake Peeping Tom except with the reversal of a female serial killer who preys on men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I would 100% see Surviving Edged Weapons as a Dickeye joint.

• Locked thread