Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Glamorama26 posted:

Is Zodiac Fincher's best film? I think Se7en may still be the better time but oof, Zodiac is a monster

Yes.

Seven and The Social Network come close though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Slugworth posted:

Maria Clark's hairdo montage set to Kiss From A Rose is my favorite thing ever.

It's great. I'd go with an episode ending with Mark Fuhrman polishing his Nazi medals, but that one's close.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Lost in Space is on Syfy right now. Man that was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kng_YcBxR6Y

When I was 10 this trailer blew my frickin mind how cool and dark it was :manning:

Like the whole premise is everybody is on earth is going to die, it's a pretty stark place to start from.

I watched that movie a lot when I was younger. Rewatched it in November I think... man, it's rough. The effects, especially on that monkey thing, don't hold up at all. Spider-Smith's at least weird enough to kinda work.

Matt LeBlanc is next-level terrible. William Hurt can barely make some of the dialogue work, so there was no hope for him. Gary Oldman is still fun.

The biggest crime in that movie is them dubbing Jared Harris's voice with some bland American one.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lurdiak posted:

One of my favorite shows growing up was a sci fi comedy series that was a pastiche of Star Trek and Lost In Space, with its own spin, so I've always been rather fond of Lost in Space.

Lexx?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Looper

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think the most enraging moment in my entire posting career was still when, after like a year straight of trying to get people to watch Venus in Fur, having someone finally watch it and attribute the recommendation to Hundu.

It was a hell of a payoff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

If there is ever a Dirty Harry remake then Caleb Landry Jones needs to play the Scorpio Killer.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Existenz is great. Even if the rest of the movie sucked, the scene at the end with all the "actors" talking about their roles would make the whole thing worth it.

A History of Violence deserves to fight it out with Mulholland Drive on those Best Films of the 21st Century lists. I think Viggo turns in one of the greatest performances of all-time in that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

For some reason I find Steve Jobs really rewatchable.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

It has its moments, but I think the "three moments" structure kind of stifled the movie, in part because Sorkin's dialogue is so relentless. If you really wanted the movie to be about Jobs' growth as a person on stage, you'd do the MacWorld show where Bill Gates showed up (although I suppose Pirates of Silicon Valley already did that), or even the iPhone launch. The iMac being the concluding piece of the movie just felt anticlimactic.

I suppose I should give it another shot, though, it's been a while.

I like that it feels stifled and relentless. I agree that the iMac launch seems kinda shrug-worthy at the end when iPhone or iPod would have seemed more relevant. The product in the final act isn't that important though because it's more of a wrap-up of the character arcs.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CPL593H posted:

Do you still Dickstream?

Speaking of

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Egbert Souse posted:

Technically, it's a jump cut.

Cool thing: David Lean initially intended it to be a loooooong dissolve from Lawrence blowing out the match to the sunrise. Anne V. Coates put the jump edit in as temporary since the dissolve would have to be an optical or A/B dissolve (created when making actual 70mm prints). Lean loved how it looked and only asked for the cut to be moved up by two frames.

My favourite example in recent memory is the one in Gone Girl that cuts from Affleck and Pike kissing to Affleck getting a cheek swab.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's an apt description of the film in general.

Even with a couple of miscues WoWS is still top-tier Scorsese.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, that wide shot with "100 Black Coffins" playing Django is choice.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That hulk guy is total garbage.

He writes for Birth Movies Death, right? Is there anyone good who writes for them?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, I think you recommended it in here a long time ago, actually. Liked it a lot.

Off-topic and just a quick little affirmation: your username reminded me how much I enjoyed your posting in the American Sniper thread.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jenny Angel posted:

Look, I'm not typically one to throw shade at SMG, I think he's a very insightful guy and his posts are a hoot to read. But the fact of the matter is that none of the found footage Youtubes I've seen him post over the years have come close to the power of this classic, and someone's gotta take him to task for that

This is my favourite piece of accidental filmmaking.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

So, yesterday was Dead Ringers and Network. Today is gonna be Night of the Hunter and Eyes Without a Face. Got the wifiiiii baaaaaaack.

Dang, you're celebrating in style.

Every time I re-watch Night of the Hunter I think it's lowkey my favourite movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

As pointed out in the unofficial first episode of Chapo, the libyans are zombies in 13 Hours

It's some shocking filmmaking when they start rising out of the fog and lurching forward.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Robert Mitchum in anything, really.

Everyone watch Out of the Past.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I feel like a real under-seen gem from 2015 was Mississippi Grind.

Maybe it's my love of all things Ben Mendelsohn but that movie still pops into my head occasionally.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

With each movie he makes, I become less convinced Mike Flanagan has it in him to create a truly fantastic movie. I can see the ambition in almost all of them but he never sticks the landing and I'm starting to think he's limited by either his own skills or vision, as opposed to budget or script.

Still rooting for the guy though.

He's kinda like a slightly lesser Adam Wingard to me. Both seem to come up short of what they're aiming for, I just prefer Wingard's work. Oculus sucked, Hush was all right and Ouija 2 was pretty good, so at least he's sort of on the right trajectory whereas Wingard's most recent was his weakest.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Wait a dang minute... Amy Adams is 42?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hand Knit posted:

I saw the new Star Wars movie last night. Does anyone know where the good discussion of it is in the infinite star wars thread? I don't want to have to trudge through all of it.

Not sure about "good" but there's discussion of it in the last few pages of the Star Wars Spoilers thread.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Why are we getting a Sicario sequel instead of another Detective Loki movie?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

weekly font posted:

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has a good twenty minutes or so. More quality than the entire Hobbit Trilogy combined.

As much poo poo as the Nuke the Fridge part got online it ended up giving us the best shot in the whole film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CPL593H posted:

Why do people think stuff like this is good? Is it a lame nostalgia thing, a general lack of taste, a complete ignorance of film aesthetic, or a mixture of all of those?

Reminds me of the much better Shin Godzilla poster.

I do like the idea of having some art up with Paul Reiser's name dead centre though.

Watching democrats mourn Chelsea Manning being pardoned is just pumping hate through my entire body.

It's nauseating.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The Peccadillo posted:

We got like a super condensed David O'Russel here, Three Kings to Joy in two movies

Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The new Grey Wolf episode is them playing Call of Cthulhu and I'm unbelievably stoked for Chapo doing a tabletop RPG podcast.

Capone Speak Easy

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Argo's lame. The only real standout is the stuff at the end in the airport.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was gonna say the only standout stuff is the beginning at the embassy, which is a major problem since the movie starts off with the only scene that has any urgency to it, making the rest of the movie extra dull and logy by comparison.

Yeah, actually I like the beginning. So, best case scenario, it's bookended by some good scenes. None of the Hollywood stuff lands for me at all, it just comes off as by the numbers and half-assed, like Affleck didn't actually care about that part of it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd be down for a fictionalized Jack Kirby: Nazi Hunter movie/TV series.

They should cast Fassbender and then literally put the Mangeto bar scene from First Class into the movie unchanged. No one can prove Kirby didn't have mutant powers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I really hope someone out there is video documenting W's transition into becoming a painter. Since we cant execute him I would take a post-presidency Boyhood style documentary, cause the dude seems really into it.

A classic Reverse-Hitler.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

weekly font posted:

Is Gangs of New York the worst Scorsese? I feel like I just watched his worst movie by a good amount.

*note: I have not seen The Aviator

Naw. I don't much care for Gangs but it's probably better than The Color of Money at least.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Raxivace posted:

Is there something wrong with The Color of Money? It's been years since I've seen it but while I thought it wasn't as good as The Hustler I don't remember hating it either.

It was also my first Scorsese fwiw.

I don't hate any Scorsese movie, The Color of Money is just kinda bland. Like you said, it's not as good as The Hustler and it ends up coming off a little forgettable. Dope performances though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Miguel Ferrer died. gently caress.

gently caress.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

For some reason his death in RoboCop really stuck with me as a kid. I loved that sleazeball.

Gonna try to watch RoboCop and The Night Flier tonight.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CPL593H posted:

Pretty much every bit in that episode is one of the best gags in the entire series. Particularly the scene where the FBI agents are trying to get Homer to respond to a different name, the "Who wants to drive through the cactus field!?" thing, and the rakes. Family Guy pretty much built itself around trying to do the rakes bit and never even came close to succeeding.

It's shocking how many great, iconic moments classic Simpsons managed to cram into 20 minutes.

Basically any episode from seasons 7 or 8 could be my favourite, but I'll go with the perfect trilogy of "Cape Feare", "Sideshow Bob Roberts" and "Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming". You could even cap it off with "Brother from Another Series" if you're into (kinda) redemption arcs.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

We had a discussion about best action move goons recently, right? Because I'm rewatching RoboCop and the quality of character actor villains always impresses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, gently caress that car rental place for renting out limos.

Agreed.

• Locked thread