Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Hat Thoughts posted:

By the law of New Threads all the lurkers of the last one have to become regulars & all the regulars have to retire. Cheers.

Sup.

Last movie of 2016 was rewatching The Big Short but in Italian, last new movie was Lights Out, also in Italian.

Haven't watched a full movie in 2017 yet :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Cuz I'm in Italy visiting my girlfriend's family for the holidays! Their English isn't so hot, so when we watch movies it's gotta be in Italian, but that's fine since for me it's good practice.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

*molto bene :smug:

I gotta watch more actual Italian movies, though. So far I've pretty much only seen La Strada, but that was excellent. I've had La grande bellezza for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Sto cazzo!

That's some kind of pasta right?

Definitely ask for cazzo in a restaurant. It'll go well, trust me

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I've eaten spaghetti before.

Solid food choice imo

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Finally an opportunity to recommend Salò to someone without coming across as a creepy weirdo.

Well, less of a creepy weirdo, anyway.

*extremely innocent voice* this is a nice movie, right?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Budgie Jumping posted:

He was probably right in some kinda southern dialect.

Sure. I like how the stereotypical Italian wild gesticulation is just sort of accurate for most Italians but definitely 100% accurate for almost all southern Italians.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Now I'm curious as to what Coyote sounds like in your head.

But which Coyote??

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

God drat it Apple, don't encourage people to use their phones in theaters

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Jesus Christ I don't know what's worse, the idea from Apple or the stories about some woman spraying someone with mace when they told her to turn off her phone or the cop murdering someone during the previews before Lone Survivor. :stare:

Well I'd say the one where people are injured is worse, but the Apple thing is definitely stupid as hell.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

weekly font posted:

Hey, the side-episode of my podcast where I talked to Dickeye, Uncle Boogey and XRay-Pecs about cool poo poo they loved in 2016 came out and goons are fun to talk to.

http://www.cageclub.me/now-and-again-2016-side-a/

Hey sweet, I was just looking for a new podcast so I'm gonna give this a listen after work today!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Hey weekly font, I really like your podcast. Fun topics, good guests, and lively discussion, so good poo poo all around.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

weekly font posted:

Hey thanks! Not sure if you mean Now and Again Prime or the 2016 specials with all the goons on it (another one is coming Sunday), but either way, I appreciate the feedback. I feel like the best podcasts are just recording poo poo you would already be talking about. It's why We Hate Movies works where How Did This Get Made does not. Boogey's Nameless Cults does the same thing where it sounds like you're in on a discussion that is naturally occurring. With or without podcasting I find myself defending and talking about how much I love pop music and why it's important.

tl;dr the worst podcasts feel forced and who would listen to that poo poo?

Also I'm always open to having any of ya'll come through to talk pop for a silly amount of time whenever.

Both, actually! I listened to the special you posted a few days ago and now I'm going through the archive and it's really enjoyable.

I'd be happy to come on sometime buuut I actually have very very little knowledge of pop music so I dunno if the conversation would be that good from my end :(

E:

Timby posted:

William Peter Blatty has died.

drat that sucks

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

About to see La La Land but we got there late so we're literally in the first row :gonk:

I literally don't think I've ever sat in the very first row and really hope I'm not about to break my neck craning it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

blue squares posted:

stay for the next showing and get better seats

It was one of two preview showings and both were sold out today or else I totally would've. Movie was absolutely lovely.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

John Hurt has died.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/28/john-hurt-dead-the-elephant-man-alien-harry-potter-midnight-express?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Death By The Blues posted:

As I kid was I really excited for Snow Day, but it wound up being so disappointing.

Holy poo poo this was also my first thought. I'm amazed anyone else remembers that movie.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I couldn't possibly tell you if Snow Day is good or not today, but I distinctly remember it being the first movie I walked out of thinking it wasn't good.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

therattle posted:

I was actually hoping that they'd pick a strong Christian who attended Church regularly and was clearly a person of faith, but of the Jesus rather than Jeee-suz variety, who could advance progressive arguments founded on a belief in fairness and equality that were supported by their faith. Faith seems pretty important to a lot of voters, so use it. I'm thinking of a heavily watered-down version of liberation theology.

This is basically how Ellison's Islam seems to inform him, though.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Why's that a problem

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah all y'all responded much in the way I would have. Giving ground to the right, especially by avoiding a leadership candidate because of his religion, is exactly the opposite of what the left/the dems (since they're mostly only nominally part of the left) needs.

Sticking to their progressive guns and combining that with identity politics that are more thorough than the surface-level poo poo liberals tend to traffic in is the only real way forward.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Egbert are you listening to Chapo yet

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't actually learn until recently that Joel Coen was on the editing team for the first Evil Dead. I knew per the Evil Dead II commentary (greatest commentary track of all time) that some combination of the Coens, the Raimis, and Holly Hunter were all sharing an apartment at the time.

Wanna be a fly on the wall in that apartment. God drat.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

I'm going to frame this screencap and just hang it on my eventual living room, or one of the walls of my small bedroom apartment.

So much for the tolerant left!!!!!!!!!

(Nigel Farage is the slimiest porridge-condom)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh hell yeah.

One great thing about Shane Black is that he's really good at directing kids, so the fact that there's a little kid in the main cast for a Predator movie isn't even cause for concern.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Penismightier is insanely good and it would be too bad that he doesn't post here if he weren't so clearly productive outside the forums.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Multiple presidents can be bad, imo

e: actually probably most presidents are bad

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Did Reagan have a negative public image in his own time? There were some scandals (e.g. Iran-Contra), but I got the impression that he was also very popular then.

Undeservedly, obviously.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Millions of people thought he was the second coming but he was also pretty well hated for the multitude of evil things he did (also mocked for his brain holes). He was a great salesman, though, "It's Morning Again In America" was an amazing slogan.

Sounds familiar.

E: oh poo poo yeah people giving him credit for ending the Cold War is definitely real and irritating. I live in Germany and ever time I end up saying I hate Reagan somebody is like "but what about the Berlin Wall." It's this weird dissonance between people saying the USSR was inherently doomed but still attributing its end to that monster

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2017

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Speaking of the Cold War, what are some good movies set around it? Possession, The Lives of Others, Fail Safe (fictionalized but still)...

I just realized this post makes it sound like Possession is based on real events, and I just want to clarify: that is intentional and true

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

therattle posted:

Cold War films:
The Hunt For Red October
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Manchurian Candidate
Dr Strangelove

Forgive repeats, I'm exhausted and brain tired.

Oh man, Tinker Tailor is insanely good. Its visual storytelling is so effective, which means that it doesn't have to shove a bunch of lovely exposition in there.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I haven't seen that yet. But yeah, exposition doesn't automatically equal worse quality, but I do appreciate when a really good movie has very little of it and is completely comprehensible and better than it would've been with more plot chat. See also Mad Max: Fury Road

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My experience with the movie was that, by the end of it, I was utterly baffled by the plot machinations but the actual emotional experience, particularly during the montage at the end, was so powerful that I didn't even care.

I had read the book beforehand so it was a little more straightforward for me, but I could still see how the plot elements would fit together without that crutch. The emotional weight is definitely impactful, though, yeah

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Good Bye Lenin!, a comedy set just after the Cold War. An old lady and pro-communist wakes up from a coma shortly after the fall of the USSR. Her grown up son has to keep her from finding out or else the shock might kill her.

I love Good Bye Lenin! It was one of the first movies I was able to watch and understand in German without subtitles, which may be part of why I tend to use some Berliner German sometimes.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Discount Viscount posted:

chocolate pudding.

This reminds me of fun idiot days in the college lounge when a friend of mine had a sample of someone saying "chocolate pudding" on her computer, which somehow got put on repeat. What I'm saying is I have a digital voice saying "chocolate pudding" in my head over and over thanks to your post and my higher education experience

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

watching SMG in a thread is like that scene in Princess Mononoke where dude is riding an antelope or whatever shooting arrows at the black tentacles that are comin from everywhere. I'm not sure if he is the dude or the tentacles in this analogy (or the antelope). This is my analysis.

*sprints into thread two pages late and out of breath* THE OPPOSITE INTERPRETATION IS TRUE

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Gonz posted:

I made a food donation to the no-kill animal shelter today, and noticed this cat.

I'm a hundred pages behind on the thread but if you didn't adopt this cat then you are a monster

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

"Competitive" is the word both of you are looking for.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

no joke my buddy was super dope with luigi in melee on those settings.

I was definitely a fox/falco turbonerd. Spam lasers and upkick with fox, throws and spikes with falco.

I was always just the greediest Captain Falcon player. FALCON PUNCH is just totally unfeasable to complete almost all the time, but it's too satisfying when it works not to go for it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The one move I could never get down was Kirbycide

Holy poo poo I didn't know this was a thing and looked it up. Amazing.

MacheteZombie posted:

My buddy exclusively played Cap Falcon and Jigglypuff. It was great when he'd hit those one shot kills.

We'd play in 4 player battles most the time and for awhile someone would play Roy and just charge up his sword attack to the max power as we tried to throw/kick/punch/etc. others into it.

I loved Melee so much. I debate buying a cube and melee frequently, mostly because the emulator and controller setup lags too much to be fun.

Huh, you can get a Gamecube for like 30 bucks. Now I'm also tempted.

• Locked thread