Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Last GenChat

It's a new year, so it's time for a new GenChat. Talk about random garbage in here.

Some rules:
1) If there is a thread about a movie you want to talk about, post in that thread, not here.
2) Don't use this as a place to shittalk other posters and other threads/forums.
3) Don't be a dickhead

Here's a list of a bunch of people who don't post here any more and some who do on Twitter.

Here's hoping 2017 doesn't suck as much as 2016 (it will).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Does anyone used Letterboxd? Should I use Letterboxd?

There's actually a Letterboxd thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796360&pagenumber=1

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

First movie of 2017: Fences

I can see where some of the criticism is coming in the fact that it feels like a Broadway show put on screen. Denzel doesn't really put too much direction into the settings, and there aren't many memorable shots (there are definitely a couple). But the characters and translation of a fantastic play are done so well and played so expertly that I can't fault it for slightly boring direction. Denzel and Davis are absolute powerhouses in this, and these might be the best performances of their careers. It's two and a half hours long, but those two, and even the supporting cast are so magnetic with their portrayals of these broken people that the time flies by. Excellent movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yo people who go to Sundance, you might get to see the new Twin Peaks before everyone else.
http://deadline.com/2017/01/twin-peaks-sundance-preview-david-lynch-showtime-1201875253/

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

My friend just showed me that when he did his last job as an exterminator he asked the guy if he could keep a VHS in his collection that was sitting downstairs. He said yes. The VHS?

I'm so jealous.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

haha i have both blu-rays, and also pierrot le fou and last year at marienbad :shittydog:

That's definitely the worst part. Open matte I can handle, but pan-scan is abhorrent.

I bought TMWFTE on SA Mart (along with Frost/Nixon) for like $40.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but this is pretty interesting.

TLDR, the Titanic might've been hosed before it hit the iceberg. A fire, allegedly, made the hull weaker than it normally would've been.

Apparently this has been known for a while and the timeframe this new special was using is completely wrong. According to a few things I read the evidence they're using means the fire would have been going on for 11 months.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I ask people who are talking to be quiet all the time, if they get mad I just tell them to gently caress off and that I didn't pay $15 to listen to them talk. If you tell them you're gonna get the usher to kick them out they'll shut up.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I'm surprised penismightier didn't come to post for the first time in forever after you guys said Shane at least three times.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

You seem like a good dude, but if it had ended up being a Patriots / Cowboys Superbowl I'd have joined Isis.

Hell, same.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hah A Serious Man is amazing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

It would be a contender if the comparison actually worked, which I don't think it does at all.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'd have to dig back a bit to find the exact tweets, but either way Biller's definitely a film person worth following on Twitter (@missannabiller)

edit: it actually looks like she deleted the screenshots from La La Land, although the Demy screenshot tweets are still up (maybeshe thought she was being too mean by putting them right next to each other), but these tweets are still up and sum up her feelings on the movie:

I think calling the conflicts in La La Land unrealistic is just flat out wrong. There's a scene where Gosling and Stone argue about their careers and futures that feels exactly how arguments I've had in a relationship before, and exactly how I think most people do have arguments. Each of them hits troubles that, in their chosen professions, would be real obstacles and real challenges to anyone trying to do what they are trying to do.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Cool, what the Hell is it about?

quote:

Academy Award® nominated actor Woody Harrelson will direct and star in an unprecedented live feature film event, Lost in London LIVE, on January 19. Harrelson, who wrote the feature film “Lost in London,” will also co-star with Owen Wilson and Willie Nelson. Ken Kao of Waypoint Entertainment will produce alongside Harrelson. This first-of-its-kind film event will screen live in select cinemas nationwide, giving audiences the unique opportunity to watch a film shot in real time.

Loosely based on a crazy night full of real-life events, “Lost in London” follows Harrelson, playing himself, as he struggles to get home to his family. Run-ins with royalty, old friends and the law all seem to conspire to keep Harrelson from succeeding.

Following the feature presentation, Harrelson will participate in a live Q&A.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I don't think anyone saw Live By Night to have a conversation with you about it, to be honest.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZd33awqQk

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

wyoming posted:

Hickman seems to writing a comic about how the Stock Exchange was started through deals with Elder Gods.
I like Hickman.

Is this The Black Monday Murders? Because that sounds dope as gently caress and I love Hickman.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

wyoming posted:

Peele doing horror seems pretty perfect.

Yep. The two of them have an awesome knowledge of movies, and their horror movie segments were some of their best on their show. I'm super excited for Get Out, and I'm really jealous you're getting to see it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Really happy to see all of the Hell or High Water nominations, even if I know it won't win.

Pretty funny that Your Name didn't get nominated for Best Animated, even though it's now the highest grossing Japanese animated movie ever and they specifically gave it a theatrical run so it could be nominated.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Barry Jenkins is great. He did what I've been waiting for someone to do with these; he just goes hog wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HLpe65fHY

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fringerider/apocalypse-now-the-game

Uuuuhhhh

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Shia got arrested for assault for pulling a Nazi's collar and pushing him on his livestream

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

There are really good seats for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds in May or June but I don't think any of my friends will want to go with me...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ACLU's a good one, they just filed lawsuits this morning.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Not related to BBQ but just good food in general, I've mentioned it before but Thai food from basically any Thai restaurant in NYC is loving amazing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Alright who's gonna bite the bullet and read Max Landis' Power Rangers script?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Hey everyone remove your name and your family's names from this website

http://www.familytreenow.com/optout/

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Because anyone can search any name and find your address and every address you've ever had.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Here is the Power Rangers script

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byrce9WlDzqddUNJMDNSY3AzY00/view

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

As a single/childless 27-year-old who's going to a barcade for a friend's birthday and getting shitfaced, hell, same

Are you me tomorrow night???

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Barcade was a good idea y'all, I got the high score on Golly Ghost!

A+

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Speaking of Fox shows, they were showing previews for a new show that is literally "What if the villain's plans in Robocop were played straight and it's actually KICKIN RAD to privatize the police?!" and it looked loving vile.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Back in Middle School when I was going through an emo phase I listened to The Rasmus a lot, they're real fuckin bad. That was also a Disturbed phase, and then I got into a bunch of power metal like Kamelot, also really bad.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Too many people on my Facebook have posted that Disturbed version of "Sound of Silence" and I can't tell whether or not they're being ironic.

They're not, and I can't loving believe it. That song is ten different types of dogshit.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So I got into the PS4 new software beta, which includes an update to the VR that allows support of 3D blu-ray, which means I finally get to watch Dredd in 3D again.
I popped it on a second ago just to see how it worked before I went out and it's awesome. I was lucky to see the 3D in theaters, but I'm super excited to be able to watch it in my house without having to buy a (now useless) 3DTV.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What's it like watching a 3D movie on a VR headset?

It was really good. It felt exactly like watching it in a theater because the PSVR projects a 120~ inch screen when you're watching media, just with a headset on instead of the glasses.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's literally one of the most perfect and rewatchable movies ever made.

edit:

That's actually super cool. I wonder if it's similarly effective with regular blu ray, like a 120 inch tv you can just slip on your head.

It is, along with Netflix and whatnot. The quality isn't exactly 1080p as far as I remember, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ok a lot of Mondo posters suck but this one made me laugh/cringe

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Correct. I should have said "this one also sucks, but"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone watch Legion last night? The pilot owned bones.

• Locked thread