Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
By the law of New Threads all the lurkers of the last one have to become regulars & all the regulars have to retire. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Ugh f́iiiiiiiiine *rolls eyes*

Greetings

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think I'm finally okay with retiring from SA :shobon: I don't feel like I get much out of it like I used to, and I'd rather work or go to shows or go to movies or play video games or sleep or eat food or whatever than spend all my time posting here.

But you kids have fun! :love:

Goodbye

broken sm57 posted:

Last movie of 2016: the astronaut farmer

First of 2017: snow dogs

Things can only get better

Greetings

Sup

Shoombo posted:

Hey, maybe I'll start posting after mostly lurking for like, the last two chat threads.

Greetings

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Can all of you read posts in voices that easily for real or are u just saying so as a joke, genuine question.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I can't really do voices in my head so u all just sound like my thoughts.

E: removed "^_^" emote at end of sentence because it felt a little too unsettling to me

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 3, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I Before E posted:

Here's an idea: what if the Star Wars prequels... are actually good?

https://twitter.com/MIDImyers/status/811671498029142016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It's just baffling to me that saying "Id like to watch the original versions of the films I enjoy" becomes this insane statement that doesn't make sense.

I honestly do not get it.

theres like 20 torrents that are exactly that

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

of what, the fuckin laserdisc releases?

wanting the original version of the OT to be legally available on a format that is actually current isn't a terrible thing

no people spent years of their life making it identical to the laserdisc in hd

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I have them. But I just don't get why people think saying that is so ridiculous.

why ask for something you've already got?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Because I want to own the real thing, not a pretty good bootleg.

This also applies to The Warriors as well unless they're making a regular cut version on Blu Ray.

At a point though, what's the difference? If something is functionally identical to the original who cares.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I care.

Because I enjoy owning and watching Blu Rays and would like to do the same with every film I have ever enjoyed.

A file on my computer is not a Blu Ray.

So if I burnt you a Blu Ray of the Despecialized Edition or w/e & even did it up big like label maker and everything would that be okay

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I want all the special features too.

So if there's an official blu-ray release of the original film without any special features, you wouldn't get that?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I didn't say it was awful or insane, but I don't really understand what you're asking for. The exact thing you're asking for already exists in an unofficial capacity, I mean the main guy doing it was hired to restore films professionally based on the quality of the work. I don't understand what the distinction is that makes it worth getting if it's "official" VS something functionally identical that's not.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It's kind of more the principal of the thing. You know?

Not rly haha, you want there to be acknowledgement from Disney that the films have been edited & that the original versions have value that's been lessened by and/or distinct from the later special editions?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'll take it if he doesn't want it

I'd take it too tbh, take it straight to ebay!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I think the theatrical version of BvS is complete garbage and the extended is miles better, but it wouldn't be fair to those that prefer the original if they didn't release it. I know that a few of you here dig the theatrical more so than the extended.

Having both versions is neat.

Yeah but the thing I was saying earlier is that what you're asking for exactly already exists exactly. I don't understand why it being unofficial/not available for "purchase" somehow makes it less valid when you can still get it super easy.
Like ,yeah, I agree that it's too bad that they didn't officially release a high-res version but who cares, people put in a lot of time and effort and did it themselves and now it's out there. Who cares if it's "unofficial" if it's the exact same thing?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Brute Force is spellbinding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCi_Lv4kWZs

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Love, Actually is as bad as it looks, right?

Ya but you'll like it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, I read that the '73 cut of The Exorcist was supervised/approved by the cinematographer for Blu-Ray while William Friedkin approved the 2000 cut.

Same cinematographer OK'd the re-done French Connection Blu-Ray which did away with the awkward desaturated colors from the original disc.

Hell, George Lucas not only OK'd the edits to his film, he even oversaw them

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

RogueTM posted:

Well, as far as I can see the un-official versions are created from the NTSC Laserdisc, which mean that the source material only has a resolution of 580 × 480 with 268,800 pixels, and no matter how much you polish that it won't ever come close to a blu-ray resolution of 1920 × 1080 with 2,073,600 pixels taken from film.

There's your reason.

U gotta see a little farther

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, drat. One of the inmates I've been in correspondence with requested some sheet music, and I'm trying to get it to him, but A) I can't find it for free anywhere, and B) even if I bought it, it gets watermarked with my name so that I can't legally distribute it to him, meaning the COs will probably destroy it. What a hassle.

Could you buy it under his name?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This is news to absolutely nobody but Amtrak is a much nicer experience than Greyhound.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Nah, cause it'd be over credit card.

I'll check the library, though I'm not hopeful they'll have this pretty recent song.

Are you sure it takes the credit card name and not an account name?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Jenny,

I got the gift you got me over the weekend. Once I get it framed and on the wall I'll share a pic! Thank you!

It better not be a pet...

Jenny Angel posted:

As long as we're attributing things from past GenChat threads, I'd like to properly attribute to Hat Thoughts the funniest thing posted in the entirety of the last thread, the concept of watching this video at half speed, on repeat, having had no sleep for 48 hours

My roommate got really annoyed after a while

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

I wanna say you linked to the version that eventually fades out into a "check out our other movie clips!" outro with some pleasant airy music? Because IMO that's the correct version to put on repeat, especially given it cuts him off mid-AMBOUGEH

Yup

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
hell yeah to that post & the one you made above it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey can anyone recommend some good cooking games? I'm one of the best Overcooked players in the whole wide world so obviously I love that, but all its recipes are super simple, with the challenge being more about managing co-op coordination in all the offbeat kitchen designs. I'm looking for something more based around larger numbers of recipes, more ingredients and processes involved in the recipes, etc. Something that I can play to sorta get myself into a soothing rhythm of memorized patterns to make a perfect lasagne or such

I can't really think of anything besides Cooking Mama & Chop, Serve, Delicious, neither of which are available on Xbox. Both are on like every phone/tablet device ever & i'm sure aren't too intensive if you tried to run them on your computer + Chop, Serve, Delicious has xbox controller support so you could just plug in your xbox controller thru USB.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This twitch stream of two standalone chat bots talking to each other is entrancing
https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat
(the post-it notes change every time a bot declares it's name)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHOP-FqYHk

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
YellowPages they should just deliver that bad boy to any1 over a certain age & then leave some in Dennys or something

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Timby posted:

Well, just last week, they delivered three dozen phone books to my office. My company doesn't even have two dozen employees. Like, OK, thanks for the free kindling for my fireplace, I guess?

I mean, you get a single copy it's still probably gonna end up as kindling

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

Big Top Scooby Doo
because i remember catching it by accident and being genuinely surprised by the writing/casting being actually funny/clever (Peter Stormare plays a heavy metal singer accused of being a werewolf, Jeff Dunham is a silent clown)
But I can remake it without fear because if its mediocre nobody's surprised because the original wasn't particularly good & people will still see it regardless of mediocrity because its scooby doo branded.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
*After meditating on geopolitical affairs for three hours*
https://twitter.com/FilmCritHULK/status/819287332754898944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Skwirl posted:

gently caress, I don't care about the ratings but I wanted to see what the new names for most frequent posters were.

Hmm, well if some1 else wants to do the work & make some drat graphs heres the data!!

4/12/14 - 10/2/14: General Chat: Woop woop, you wonderful old savings and loan! : https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3624784

10/2/14 - 3/12/15: GenChat: This is that goon poo poo, gently caress up your whole afternoon poo poo :https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3669287

3/12/15 - 1/1/17: GenChat: Tell me something I don't already know : https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3706088

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Everyone is their avatar, factually.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
To me, the Sambo thing is funny because I kind of imagine it like in a movie/TV show where someone is absent mindedly drawing something & it helps them come to some grand conclusion except it's a racist dumbass so at the end he just looks and it's like...

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Here's the video where Trump talks about Citizen Kane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a63ymFn6nS0

It was earlier footage from when Errol Morris was planning on making

http://errolmorris.com/content/aborted/projects_donald.html posted:

The Movie Movie, an aborted project, is based on the idea of taking Donald Trump, Mikhail Gorbachev and others and putting them in the movies they most admire. Isn't it possible that in an alternative universe Donald Trump actually starred in Citizen Kane?
and reused for an Academy Awards presentation or something like that i cant remember

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Budgie Jumping posted:

Well that's too bad because I'm already working on a script about Sam Hyde's vengeful cyber ghost wreaking havoc on liberal tumblrites and adult swim fatcats for cancelling his show.

But yeah for the record I do think Sam Hyde is a piece of poo poo.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Budgie Jumping posted:

You calling me a lazy nazi or something?

No I've just had that comic open in a tab for a while & wanted the slightest excuse to post it. Figured a mention of Sam Hyde might be as close as I get.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CPL593H posted:

What's the thing with Sam Hyde that made everyone hate him?

He's all in on racism/sexism/le pepe lifestyle. I still think he's funny but he is absolutely just the worst person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I know a guy who's really surprised about Sam Hyde and it's like... I don't know how you watch more than one of his videos & find that shocking.

• Locked thread