Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
First thing i watched 2017 was the sense8 Christmas special. There were quite a few of the wordless montages set to music, only one of which was "everybody's loving each other". I can't decide if I want the series to just pick up the pace with the Whispers plot, or if I prefer them to draw out the period where most of the sensates' problems stem from their regular lives before everyone's hunted by government agents. Because slow as it feels, just having these characters deal with their lives and giving each other loving advice is really enjoyable to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

For the record, good things that can be attributed to me:

- Deep web exploration video series
- CPL wearing the shorts
- Jeff approaches the Clown, full of rage
- Popularizing the tag yourself meme in this thread

Hey, what about the gift bonanza?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dickeye's various names have a nice sort of poetry in the sense that the first part is much more fun to combine with 'lady' bit the second part makes a more respectful name. Compare Dicklady, BENGHAZI LADY and gently caress Lady to Ladyeye, LADY 2 and Lady Whitey.

(Apologies if I'm missing one or more iconic Dickeye monikers)

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Hey, this is a bit of a long shot, but I'm fairly sure I heard about it through this thread, and if not, there's collectively a good bit of knowledge in here. Someone mentioned a negotiation strategy/system that described the two sides as red and blue. Among other things, it argued that if one side has no interest in compromise, that it would win every single negotiation against a side that continued to try to compromise.

Googling isn't bringing up anything relevant, anyone know what I'm talking about? It's a fairly straightforward concept to me, but in a sea of 'well, look, just because the Republicans stole the SCOTUS seat doesn't mean we should stoop to their level', I'd like to be able to reference it.

I dunno about it appearing in this thread but it reminds me if a Slate Star Codex post. I could dig it up when I'm not phone posting but you might be able to find it from that.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh wow, the title screen for Dark Archie (which for some reason read Riverdale?) was seriously 13 minutes into the first episode!

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm behind on everything but this weekend was a good movie weekend for me. I watched Gone Girl and John Wick, both of which I've had recommended a lot but not got around to, and they didn't disappoint! And I watched Fury Road again - it's been over a year, I think, since I saw it last time.

Now I'm hype for John Wick 2. Probably won't have time to go see it for a while, though :(

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Watching Spring Breakers tonight, how should i prepare? Anything in particular to watch for or watch out for?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't know what to say. From the last time they put on the pink ski masks straight to the end, i was just starting transfixed at the screen.

What a movie! It makes me feel I'm bad at watching movies for not being able to say anything about it. It was... amazing?

Franchescanado posted:

I know one of the girls that was topless in the movie, so look out for her I guess

That didn't really narrow it down in a meaningful way

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
A few months ago I hosted a Fast & Furious marathon with drinking game, and it was loads of fun. (About half of the ones who attended are joining me for F8 on Monday!) So naturally I'm planning another movie night like it, this time with the Michal Bay Transformers movies.

What are some good drinking game rules? Things that, at best surprisingly, show up a lot throughout the movies.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Book recommendation: which do I start with?

They all say "Number 1" so you can't really go wrong here

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also I had my Transformers marathon yesterday, and it was a blast. All four Bay movies back to back, and then we topped it off with The Transformers: The Movie (1986) by midnight. Almost 20 people in my apartment :3

The drinking game rules we ended up using (thanks for the tips I got here, btw):
- Transformation
- Male Gaze
- Pee or poop jokes
- The US armed forces are friggin' rad (according to Michael Bay)
- Violence against face
- Racism / stereotypes
- "Witwicky" / "Yaeger"
- Product placement
- Flag in the shot
- "Freedom"
- "No no no no"
- Historical revisionism

Apart from transformations, of course, violence against face was loving golden. Hardly ever was violence used to any effect (kill or incapacitate) without some face being battered, shot, or torn apart.

And before you claim we should all be dead, no, we didn't take every shot. Someone called pretty much every occurrence, and depending on energon levels everyone else joined in shouting "violence against face!" while raising glasses, but then taking the sip was a formality. Most of us drank soda anyway.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the experience! Next time we're doing either Twilight or Pirates.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've cried several times to Inside Out. And it feels so good to do it, too, since the whole message is that sometimes you just gotta be sad a bunch.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Norway and Sweden are both really high on my list. I like fjords.

I live in Sweden, and I don't believe we have any fjords actually. Norway's hogging all of them.

Not that our forests, mountains and coastlines aren't worth a visit anyway! If you visit Gothenburg I'll invite you to a movie night.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I came out to my parents as poly this weekend (told them I have a girlfriend who also has a fiancé). Turns out they won't respect that relationship as much as what it means to me, and now I don't feel at ease around my own parents anymore :(

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Toebone posted:

That sucks. There's no way my parents would be chill about it so telling them isn't even a question, for me.

Yeah, that must really suck. I'm very glad my parents are chill enough that I can talk top them about it, without anyone shouting even. I hope you get to be happy in your relationships, even if it has to be a part of your life completely separate from the part that has your parents.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

This did not get enough love.

They forgot to say "tag yourself".

I'm "Robert Ford The Rare"

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

gotta go to the gorcery store

gotta buy some molk

maybe some brod

some ogg??

hungerey
https://www.buzzfeed.com/joannaborns/incorrect-food?utm_term=.ndMejpq3yP#.bhnzmPbWgY

Special edition commentary track:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/most-depressing-buzzfeed-article-of-all-time.html

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Isn't that the opposite situation?

Like, selling in? That doesn't make sense.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Filed under 'stuff'.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just watched HyperNormalisation. Thanks to everyone in this thread who kept recommending it; I'm really glad I finally took the time to see it.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's the deal with YOSPOS? Many of the forums around here have cryptic names but then you figure out what they're about and the threads in them sort of make sense, but not that one really...

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was unclear: what the acronym stands for was the only part I could figure out. Based on that I figured "something something computers" but reading the actual threads it was still just weird to me. I guess "shitposting about computers" explains it, thanks. :shrug:

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Spring Break

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lukewarm Fuzz
Adult Driver

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had a Mission: Impossible marathon this weekend. It was fun.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

The last big marathon at my local cinema that I remember was for The Fast & Furious. Let me dig up my post on that:

I think with that schedule #8 started shortly after midnight. Almost ten hours of F&F...

I got a projector for the apartment that I moved into last November, and since then I've hosted a drinking game movie marathon like every other month. First one was Fast and Furiouses 1--7 (8 wasn't out), then we did Transformers (Bay 1--4 then the animated The Transformers: The Movie), Pirates (1--4 then everyone went to the late-night showing of 5, talk about a steady decline in quality), Twilight and last month Mission: Impossible.

What are some good ones to do next? My top candidates are Indiana Jones, Batman (-89 -- & Robin), and some subset of Disney animated features.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
What the hell happened to Dickeye?

e: nvm, I found his rap sheet

Tiger fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 27, 2017

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm in San Francisco for a week on a study trip with my doctoral school (I'm a CS PhD student), visiting Stanford, Berkeley and some tech companies. I have most evenings free -- anyone have any suggestions for stuff to do, or for that matter anyone who wants to hang out with a Swede? I don't know what I'm expecting, really, but anything beats doing nothing at the hotel.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Why don't you pose this question in Something Offal for food suggestions

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697762&pagenumber=14#lastpost

Thanks for the tip, I will! I've never been to that subforum before so it didn't cross my mind.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm going to see Blade Runner 2049 at the Alamo Drafthouse tomorrow. I've never been to a cinema that serves food before, but I think it'll be right up my alley.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got started from Palo Alto to late, so I didn't get to SF in time for the 7pm showing of Blade Runner that I had bought a ticket to. Not one to waste a sunk cost, I exchanged it for the 10:15 showing and hung out at a nice little café that had live bluegrass music for a few hours.

Then when I got out of the theatre, past 1am, I discovered that the parking garage wasn't open 24h, so I couldn't drive back to the hotel in PA like I had planned. I walked around for like 40 min before the third hotel I tried had a vacancy. I wasted a lot of money and only got to sleep 4 hours since I had to bring the car back as soon as the garage opened at 7.

That's my stupid San Francisco adventure. Movie was great though, as was the Alamo experience!

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Did you at least get to buy a plaster bagel paperweight?

No, not yet! But we're passing through SF at least once more when going to the airport, so it's not too late :D

e: I didn't understand the reference

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I googled it and that's when I understood that it was a specific reference in the first place

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm Dick a Tuesdays

I'm nacks (necks)

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about Being There, but someone compared it to Forrest Gump and if there was truth in that maybe that guy was thinking of The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Stepped Out the Window and Disappeared?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Late to Harry Potter tag yourself but I'm Ron's Ron shirt, almost as bad as Ron himself.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

I remember someone who eventually became a thread regular mentioned that they started reading this thread right at the point of CPL wearing the shorts and my accompanying Dredd essay, which has to be an incredibly strange jumping-in point to an online community

That might have been me, in which case, thanks for calling me a thread regular. It’s not that much stranger than this forum generally, imo.
I get a significant portion of my news of the english-speaking world from this thread. I also feel a compulsion to read every single post, and as you can see I’m way behind so I guess I’ll see you in a month.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Me and my girlfriend were watching Minority Report because we thought hey, Tom Cruise is usually good, and during the opening credits we were joking about how we should take a shot every time Tom Cruise runs. The movie didn't disappoint: in addition to having a lot of Tom Cruise running (from the law!), everyone went on about house this kid was just like his dad Tom Cruise, he was a good runner you see :D

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gotta jump on the A Very Fatal Murder praise train. I don't even listen to podcasts otherwise. It's amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I slept on Kong: Skull Island until it was out of theatres and then pretty much forgot about it, but I suddenly saw it was in Netflix here so I watched it yesterday. It was great! So many amazing shots, taking turns wowing me and making me laugh. And it was great how Kong just showed up in complete silence. It's like, you're on Kong's island so just get used to him being around the corner at any time :D

• Locked thread