Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Hey, maybe I'll start posting after mostly lurking for like, the last two chat threads.

I do have a lot of free time after a mental breakdown failed me out of film school and made me move from Chicago back to poo poo hole suburban Virginia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I'm of the opinion that all the V/H/Ses are good, and the first is bona-fide great.

Last movie: Arrival
First movie: The Wailing

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Tetsuo: The Iron Man sure is a movie, huh.

I wasn't expecting it to be a Japanese The Wizard of Speed and Time, or for half of it to be a superhero battle. I like it.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I loving loved both Bill and Ted movies as a kid, still do.

I also loved the sci-fi comedy/Dave Duchovny vehicle Evolution, which probably doesn't hold up as well.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Huh, I'll rewatch Evolution then. I don't here it mentioned much so just kinda assumed I had bad taste as a kid.

Actually, thinking back I had some awesome comedies on rotation as a kid. Mystery Men and Galaxy Quest were also frequent watches. I watched basically no dope action or horror as a kid though.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I would like to hear SMG and K. Waste's opinions on Duck!: The Carbine High Massacre, as well as anyone else's I guess.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Have you not seen the thread here?

I probably have,I'm p. sure that I got the YouTube rip from somewhere on here, but it was a long time ago, and I only recently watched it. Was K. Waste even around at that time? I guess I'll go looking for the thread.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I watched Christine. Maybe they should stop making films about dead people.

And start making more movies about cool cars, hell yeah

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I unironically love Barron Trump's Deviant Art meets Heavy Metal thing. It's dope.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I got kicked out of my house today, and then invited back, but nobody wants to talk about it at all. I loving hate it here and actually do want to go, so I might just bail and live with the consequences.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

How old are you?

22. I know it doesn't matter to anyone here, I probably shouldn't have posted it. Whatever, it's out here now.

I have other options than staying here, and not anything really forcing me to stay anymore, so there's really no reason for any of this anyway.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Wasn't Mary Harron supposed to do a short for XX?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
How the gently caress did Macon Blair direct a whole dang movie without me realizing?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Hollismason posted:

It's really good watch it. You can obviously tell that him and Jeremy Saulnier are very good collaborators. At times it feels like a Saulnier film. It's really beautifully shot , well acted, and grounded film. It's also really funny.

Yeah, I'm for sure gonna watch it, probably tomorrow. I just had no idea it existed until I found it like half an hour ago. Usually I'm on top of these things

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I'd go found footage.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Wizards is easily way better than Star Wars.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Belladonna of Sadness owns hard. I should rewatch it sometime soon.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel The VVitch thematically does what Belladonna of Sadness was going for much better and without the aspects that confuse the latter and bring it down.

They're thematically of a type, yeah, and The VVitch is good, but Belladonna of Sadness hits me much harder.

I get why it's a difficult movie to watch (intentionally, I'm sure), and there's definitely a conversation to be had about how it uses rape, but it's a phenomenal work of art.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, those credits are super important.

Speaking of double features, I did Repo Man/Tank Girl the other day and that one's real good.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I've seen They Live but it was years ago and I have a poor memory of it except for the bigger scenes.

I have not seen Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, Christine, or The Fog.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Belladonna of Sadness is really good, but yes, should probably come with a content warning.

Not for being anime though, that's just stupid.

(I would also argue that Belladonna of Sadness's nudity and rape has very little in common with anime and is much more in line with general psychedelic animation at the time. Compare it to something like Vince Collin's Malice in Wonderland)

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The old EU deserves to be poo poo on from the greatest height and being boring and safe is a far lesser crime than the self-important sith-fetishizing idiocy of the old books.

I know almost nothing about the EU other than anything I've seen of it blows but I disagree with this on principle. Mediocrity is the fucken worst.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Just had a Facebook argument with one of my Mom's Confederate apologist friends from back home who was defending the Robert E Lee statue in Charlottesville, Va that the city is taking down and that Richard Spencer and a bunch of other nazi fucks have been protesting the removal of the past couple weeks.

I loving hate the south.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Jenny Angel posted:

Folks... I've been married. I'm wed, now

Gorman Thomas posted:

Congrats! I hope you vetted their film taste before tying the knot

They've got motion smoothing turned off, right?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Budgie Jumping posted:

Ehhh, dropped r or hard r, it's the same word. When affluent white people drop the R, thinking that makes it friendlier, really all they're doing is affecting some idea of a black dialect and to me that's just as hosed.

I think I agree with Skwirl on this one. Dropped r sounds way grosser for a white person to say. They're sort of the same word, but not really, dropping the r is a diminutive form, which changes the meaning. It's not just a dialect thing.

Obviously gently caress any white person who says any variant on the n-word.

Edit: also even if it was just "affecting some idea of a black dialect" that still sounds worse than just being classically racist and leaving the hard r, to me.

Shoombo fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 3, 2017

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

In the old days the A-budget movies would be adaptations of novels. If they weren't they'd commission a novelisation to be published ahead of the film's release to make it look like the film had literary bona fides.

All that's changed is the source material.

Hollywood secretly discovered time travel in the early 2000s, all "remakes" of popular '80s films have been original ideas sent back in time as long form advertisement for their modern versions.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Charles Bronson owns, and I think traditional actor charisma would hurt his performance. He's like the cool, tough, man of few words type brought to an almost parody by just being gross and menacing and ultraviolent.

Anyway the lead in to his obituary in the new york times rules:

The New York Times posted:

Charles Bronson, a muscular coal miner from Pennsylvania who became an international film star and archetypal American tough guy, died Saturday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
[whispering to date while watching The Mole when The Mole first appears on the screen] That's The Mole

[whispering to date while watching The Mask when The Mask first appears on the screen] That's The Mask

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Green Room is a dece Casablanca

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Ralph Bakshi loving rules.

okja loving RULES

Bong Joon-ho makes movies political in a way that you don't really see any more. He's super up front about it.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Anyone who watches okja (which y'all should), it's got an after-credits scene that is primo

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is a surprisingly well-crafted movie.

What's surprising about it?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's a Snyder film that isn't poo poo.

Even if Snyder made poo poo (beg to differ), it would be exceedingly well crafted poo poo. Just, the most polished turds.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

In general Okja is odd in that it is very unsubtle in it's messaging while being kind of shy about making too firm of a stand. Like Swinton's character is shown to mostly be just trying her best and her main problem is she's really naive. Also, while maybe not intended, when she basically says "it's unfortunate we had to tell all these small lies but people are adverse to GMOs for some reason" I couldn't help but agree. Still it's hard to tell the movie's intent, because it doesn't really make any cases against GMOs. In general it's a movie where both extremes are shown as being kind of dumb and their own way with even the last minute pure big business character shown as not being so much evil as purely motivated by profit.

That is evil

Swinton's character may be trying to do her best. She may just be naive. But she's a capitalist, of the techno-libertarian "let's make the world a better place" type. And capitalism is a failed, cancerous ideology. It is the enemy, not Swinton.

The film comes from a place of intense and utter hatred. The good guys are portrayed as dumb because they are, Bong Joon-ho isn't interested in exploring a real solution with this. He already did that in Snowpiercer Blow up the door, fight capitalism outside its strictures, not within. Okja is way more horrifying because everyone plays by the rules, two pigs are saved, and a status quo of exploitation is maintained.

Okja, like most films, is a horror movie.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Shown: Magic Hate Ball preparing for said fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ClSABkDp8

When I opened this up, I knew exactly what it was going to be, and then was really taken by surprise because it was actually an ad that opened on sizzling bacon.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

weekly font posted:

Yeah there's nothing dumb or lazy about prose that falls back on chatlog so that it can avoid pesky things like description, characterization, and genuine feeling and fill more pages with shout outs to Ladyhawke.

There's nothing in a chat log as a medium that precludes it having description, characterization, and genuine feeling, you dumb dumb.

Ready Player One is a garbage fire for all the other reasons.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

precision posted:

Good Will Hunting x Noriko's Dinner Table

How is Noriko's Dinner Table anyway? I love Suicide Club, but it's also not a movie that I thought needed more explaining/expanding.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
What if we just; abolished all borders?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They're the praetorian guard of the ruling elite, friend, and exist solely to protect capital

gently caress em

Hey now, don't leave out their enforcement of white supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I think An American Werewolf in London has a really good final shot. The cut from it to the credits is probably the best comic timing in the movie imo.

• Locked thread