Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think everyone in Australia and NZ and Brazil get taught how to spot the Southern Cross. Alpha and Beta Centauri who're bright as hell form a line that points to it

The place I'm at right now is pretty good for stars, you can see the disk of the galaxy pretty well on a good night

Also who was the dipshit that settled on The Milky Way

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I remember reading years ago that the Mayans thought the large dark part of the galaxy they could see was hell, so I petition the astronomical community to rename our weak rear end galaxy to Xibalba

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Alternatively, The Emu

I'm down a rabbit hole reading about indigenous astronomy now. Behold New Zealand's Matariki: The Eyes of God, which I think is Ursa Major as it looks from down south

Galaxy name from New Zealand: Te Ikaroa, the basket that holds the stars

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 2, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

South Australia, Yurakauwe: the river of monsters

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

"Various groups (including the Venda, Setswana and Sesotho) described it as a supernatural foot path across the sky along which the ancestor spirits walked. Many peoples referred to it as “Night’s backbone”, “Sky’s spine” and “God’s back”, suggesting the idea that the Milky Way held up the sky, or maybe held it together.

In /Xam Bushmen star lore, the Milky Way was created by a girl of the ancient race who scooped up a handful of ashes from the fire and flung it into the sky. This made a glowing path along which people could see the route to return home at night. She also threw bits of an edible root into the sky, the old (red) pieces creating red stars and the young (white) pieces creating white stars."

You forget stars are colourful when you can't see them very well

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

All I know is Orion is a cute lil goddam kitty cat

I walked out my backdoor a couple minutues ago for a smoke and Orion was directly in my eyeline

Or the three brothers of the Djungal

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

I finally did it. I use a contact lens solution that’s partly hydrogen peroxide (it dissolves built-up proteins better and neutralizes overnight) and I finally absentmindedly poured it directly into my eye. Ow.

Why did you put bleach in your eye, dude?!

• Locked thread