Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Last: Pink Flamingos
First: Black Snake Moan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

That movie must be incomprehensible in pan & scan.

Any nostalgia I might have for VHS ends as soon as I think about this. Poor sound and picture quality is one thing, but 99% of the films you find on VHS are presented in an incorrect aspect ratio. Sure some of the covers were cool, but VHS was cinephiles' worst enemy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I passed up The Third Man Criterion blu-ray at Barnes and Noble a few days after it was announced to be OOP because I hadn't heard the news. I found out the next day. I rushed back to the store and nope :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I don't think I ever pre-ordered a Criterion, though I ordered Army of Shadows when it was going OOP off Criterion's site. Well worth it.

The only pre-orders I've had this decade were the Lawrence of Arabia gift set, Napoleon, Masters of Cinema Metropolis steelbook, and the Marx Brothers set. And It's Such a Beautiful Day if that counts.

The only Criterion I've pre-ordered is the Before Trilogy a couple months ago because it was $39.95 at Amazon by mistake.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Here's Georges Méliès' "The Astronomer's Dream" (1898). This is an interesting counterpart to "A Trip to the Moon" (1902). As "Trip" makes clear, Méliès finds the scientific mindset to be a target for ridicule. In "Dream," we see a more sympathetic, but by no means forgiving, take on the scientist.

The same imaginative, mercurial dream imagery that would go on to delight in "Trip" is inflected with a sense of despair and apprehension here. The astronomer fears that his aspiration, the moon, will always elude him, but it's more than that: what he finds, in exploration of the stars, is that the universe is utterly ambivalent to human life, and that even to read evil into that is hopeless narcissism.

But there's a deeper terror, still. The shifting, transmutative imagery at play in the film suggests a fear that strikes at the core of the scientific mindset: that the rule of the universe is chaos, that there is truly no consistency and no design in creation, and that all of the logic, method, and systems of the scientist are only narrow phenomenology, cobbled together out of a harrowing spiritual need.

Respect to Méliès for being able to communicate this experience on an emotional level with a big goofy moon man and a lady in a gauzy dress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SMIiQZUcs

Both this film and your analysis are great. Thanks for sharing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

eXistenz is good. And so is Scanners. And Naked Lunch. In fact aside from his pre-Shivers stuff there aren't any bad Cronenberg movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dude made like six masterpieces.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

And both of them are better than the rest of the movies that each of those actors have done by far.

The Cable Guy is better than Eternal Sunshine?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's some cool effects trickery from the silent film era. I'd never seen this before.

http://imgur.com/a/wUAcl

Oh yeah. Safety Last is one of the most ingenious movies ever.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Got my ticket for The Love Witch tonight. My last chance to see it in the theater. I'm not the type who absolutely must see every interesting movie in the theater, but this one looks so appealing on a visual level that I'd feel like I'm missing out if I didn't catch it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Is Les Vampires any good or is it on the 1001 film list just to gently caress with me

Yep it's pretty good. I watched it recently and wrote about it in the They Shoot Pictures thread.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

weekly font posted:

Is Gangs of New York the worst Scorsese? I feel like I just watched his worst movie by a good amount.

*note: I have not seen The Aviator

Late to this, but holy poo poo no it's not. Gangs of New York is amazing. Scorsese hasn't ever made a bad movie, but the weakest that I've seen is The Color of Money.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If I had to pick a favorite episode it'd probably be Lisa the Vegetarian.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The relatively quiet dramas of the early Simpsons are what make it so powerfully good - once it abandoned that earnest love for its own characters, it was over.

It reached its apex of quality when the quiet drama combined seamlessly with the clever humor. That only lasted a few seasons. I'd say seasons 3 4 and 5 were its peak in this regard.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I know pretty much every episode title in the first 9 seasons :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

glam rock hamhock posted:

When Flanders Failed is probably the most obscure reference in an episode title.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
When Flanders failed

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Just came the closest I've ever gotten to a water moccasin and with that the work day draws to an end.

I'm going to assume you're a sound technician for one of those snake handling churches.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What if the dykes are on some other sort of vehicle? Maybe even one that doesn't rhyme? Is that okay?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm more of an RV dyke myself.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Does Female Enabler mean someone who enables females, or a female who enables others (possibly other females)?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Skwirl posted:

Aren't they all partying up in heaven with Jesus?

Yes, which makes them Party Animals. They're hosed any way you slice it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This seems like a good year for a Peter Greenaway retrospective. Would anyone be interested in a thread? Cook Thief and Baby of Macon seem particularly relevant.

Hell yes!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What are the other essential Greenaway films? I've only seen The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover, but I have A Zed & Two Noughts and Drowning By Numbers on my list as well.

I'd like to know this too, which is why a thread would be great. I've only seen The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover and A Zed and Two Noughts. Cook Thief... is one of my favorite movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A reminder to KC horror goons: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is showing tonight at the Alamo Drafthouse, and Joe Bob Briggs will be there in person to host it. It's a 35mm screening. Looks like there's a handful of tickets left.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lobok posted:

This, but with shoes:

Fixed.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

These nazis are both dead and cool:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Yo, the GBS Inaguration Candid Camera thread is great. CNN has a gigapixel image up that you can zoom in on.
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

I found Don Fanucci:

I found the only person in the entire crowd with the correct expression on her face:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

GonSmithe posted:

Barry Jenkins is great. He did what I've been waiting for someone to do with these; he just goes hog wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HLpe65fHY

Watched this earlier. Dude's awesome. "Okay no more. Well one more."

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm finished with the first disc of Napoleon and so far it's loving incredible.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

Abel Gance's Napoleon? My man.

Yep.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

corn in the bible posted:

its offensive and disrespectful you loving retard

This thread is a loving cesspool.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Baron von Eevl posted:

My wife is having a baby in 5 days so close to nonexistent.

You can expect sex again in roughly INFINITY years. Don't worry.

e: also congratulations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I still don't really understand the point of blockbuster video. Are we all really too snobby and analytical here? :shrug:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

I have an irrational hatred of people calling records "vinyls" and I can't stand when people who don't even own turntables buy records.

Calling a record a vinyl is exceedingly common and accepted (although some purists will be annoyed at pluralizing "vinyl"). And buying records is more about the aesthetic of the product than the actual playback, at least for most people. Large artwork, big foldout sleeves, etc. I'd say you're right on the mark with "irrational".

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Snak posted:

Contact is stupid good.

It really is. I'm still unsure how I feel about the very final scene. On the one hand ambiguity might have been nice, but on the other hand I like that the movie knows its stance.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Ugh, I'm on hold with a company and their hold music is All Star on a loop. :suicide:

What company?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just pulled a George Costanza. I was on a conference call where we were demoing an application to a client which I partially designed. As they were discussing a part of the app that I wasn't involved with, I started dicking around with Photoshop and wasn't paying attention to the call (I was alone in the room). After a few minutes of concentrating on my non work related Photoshop doodle, I hear "Does that make sense, Chris?" (I'm Chris). I unmute the phone in a panic and reply "Yep!".

gently caress.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh I could made any number of excuses and it'd have been no problem. "Sorry I was on the other line for a moment," "Sorry I stepped out to the restroom," hell even "I didn't catch it all, could you please repeat?" would have been fine. But my spineless reflex just had to be to play it off with "Yep".

And I should add the voice who asked if it made sense was my boss.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I finally saw the original Godzilla. drat, I wasn't expecting it to be that dark and grim.

The original Godzilla is the outlier of the series in terms of tone and style. It's the least like any of the other films in the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Going through a box of old Disney Adventures I had when I was a kid

drat this brings back memories. This was the first issue I got. I think my mom bought it for me from the grocery store. I read that thing cover to cover.

• Locked thread