Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

weekly font posted:

The final 40 of Why Don't You Play In Hell? is a high point in cinema history.

Hell yeah it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Anonymous Robot posted:

I forgot that I had promised to post some cool OVA's in here now and then, so I'll put some more up later, but for now have this lovely music video done by Ghibli in the early 90's:

https://vimeo.com/15103971

You saw Princess Mononoke tonight, didn't you? I had never seen that video until before the showing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Trying that twitter tip again. https://twitter.com/thamosdeaf

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Besides the esteemed CineD crew, who are the best film follows on twitter?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Marvel movies are bland and unmemorable in general, so par for the course.

Me and my friend who's visiting from out of town were discussing that John Williams article where he discussed how unmemorable he found his own scores for Star Wars, and he mentioned seeing this bit where a guy approached people on the street and asked them to hum theme music from famous blockbusters. Then he asked them to hum music from any Marvel film, and they were all totally dumbfounded.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Skwirl posted:

What would you come out about? not to put you on the spot but you only talk about dating girls and I assumed you were cisgendered dude.

Yeah that was a bit of a "Wait, what?" moment for me too.

Am I...heteronormative?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Interesting assumptions are made on the internet, I remember for a while people here thought I was a woman for some reason.

I would be interested to know how often HUNDU has been assumed to be a white guy. Ditto any other CD regulars who aren't white.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Death By The Blues posted:

Surprised Hundu seems white. He doesn't act white
I'm not sure I ever assumed he was - white guys don't tend to have avatars from Belly, or talk about how much they love their old black grandmothers - but he was just the first poster I could think of who I explicitly know isn't white and I'm sure it's some percentage of posters who have made that assumption. Which, not judging, I've certainly been guilty of it with others.

It's weird how we're wired. Like, the NBA thread in SAS is one of my most-read topics on the forums and it's a safe bet that a significant percentage of those guys aren't white but gently caress if I know which ones!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Budgie Jumping posted:

The current one? I think that's Paris is Burning.

Oh, nah, I meant his old one. Though I wouldn't have recognized his current one as being from Paris is Burning, which I haven't seen since college.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I Before E posted:

Did somebody say Belly?

I googled this username and :lol:

uknowme173 posted:

i love how everyone talks poo poo on the $4000 gucci/margela leather outfits from the late 90s like yall couldnt even afford that poo poo lmfao . keep talkin poo poo in your pleather joggers , im out here bringin that late 90s heat back . fuk yall skinny poo poo

This is a man who is passionate about leather suits.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Hat Thoughts posted:

To me, the Sambo thing is funny because I kind of imagine it like in a movie/TV show where someone is absent mindedly drawing something & it helps them come to some grand conclusion except it's a racist dumbass so at the end he just looks and it's like...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Death By The Blues posted:

Hey everyoneeeeeeee.

Still chugging along in pre, I know I sent the draft of our script to people and got no responses. So if it is terrible please let me know or if you want to read it, e-mail me at daumounkhakpour@gmail.com

Also, who likes sour beers?

I fuckin' love sour beers. Do goses also count? Either way, I'm into it.

I'll shoot you an email in a bit, I'll read that poo poo.

weekly font posted:

I would give up IPAs forever if I could get a steady supply of sour and gose on the east coast.

I don't have to be convinced to give up IPAs because they loving suck

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

General q: what movies did you all love as a kid that weren't "kid's" movies? I saw a used copy of Frida at the bookstore the other day and it reminded me of when I used to watch it over and over in sixth grade for some reason.

My favorite film as a child was Terminator 2. Still pretty much is.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's always a good sign when somebody asks for criticism and feedback and then immediately rebuffs the first criticism offered

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I Before E posted:

I mean of the three something has to be the weakest, and for some reason it's hard for people to admit it's Shaun Of The Dead.

Yep. It's Hot Fuzz > World's End > Shaun.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yo, does anybody have that early 20th century political comic where the rich dude is using racism to prevent his labor from unionizing? I think it was posted in here.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Already aching for the single life, I see.

My plan is to immediately show Satantango to the next girl I'm dating

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Raxivace posted:

Such and odd film, especially since it was Scorsese's followup to Taxi Driver.

Let me tell you how much coke Martin Scorsese was doing from 1976-1980

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the first third of the movie is based on the time jack kirby beat up nazis

Wait what? The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay reveals another influence to me

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does the first Underworld hold up at all? I remember it being fun as gently caress when I was like 10 and Blood Wars gave me a hankering to rewatch it.

It's kinda long and dry, I prefer White Noise

:v:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
For some reason, some dude in NMD decided to start a thread about literal white power music. Happy Trump Inauguration Day!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Jaki Liebezeit died :smith:

https://youtu.be/9a1NhRbNJ_Y

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I've always wanted to pick up the first four VU albums on vinyl and have them grouped together in a nice matte frame.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
February Netflix changes

Notable arrivals
Babe, Babe: Pig in the City, The Blair Witch Project, Clouds of Sils Maria, Finding Dory, Magic Mike, Milk, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Paris is Burning (sup HUNDU), Superbad

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Is there a line that has aged more poorly than this exchange from Return of the Living Dead?

"These things don't leak, do they?"
"Leak? Hell, no! These things were made by the US Army Corps of Engineers!"

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Snak posted:

Obligatory Rambo III dedication.

but that's not a line, so...

That was certainly the first thing I thought of.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Budgie Jumping posted:

When the guy in Wizard of Oz says "Nobody gets to see the Wizard!" and then like 15 minutes later they go see the wizard smdh

[whispering to date while watching The Wizard of Oz when the Wizard first appears on the screen] that's the Wizard

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

DeimosRising posted:

Uh. It's the same joke now it was then...

I mean, I'm gonna say Katrina made said joke play a tad differently.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I still remember going to the IMDb page for Schindler's List and seeing, at the top of the forum for the film, the thread "JEWS: GET OVER IT." :allears:

I don't ever use IMDb unless I'm curious about the aspect ratio of a film and can't already find the information elsewhere. Googling "[film name] wiki" is my go-to for looking up basic information on a film these days.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

MacheteZombie posted:

I use imdb for basically looking up actors when I can't remember their name.

I've come to realize that my #1 unmarketable skill is my ability to recognize character actors in and from the most minor roles ever. Me and my friends will be watching something and I'll just be like "Oh poo poo, it's [actor], he was [45-second bit part] in [90s cop drama]" and everybody just stares at me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FishBulb posted:

So not sleeping and getting puked on.

Fun times.

As a single/childless 27-year-old who's going to a barcade for a friend's birthday and getting shitfaced, hell, same

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

GonSmithe posted:

Are you me tomorrow night???

I have come back to warn you. You are in great da-

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I must not have had particularly good lobster, because it's always just seemed...there to me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Lurdiak posted:

Depending on where you live, it's very possible you've not had good lobster. Living where I do, I get them fairly fresh from Gaspesie and the Baie des Chaleurs, so that definitely helps the experience. I'd say an integral part of the joy of eating lobster is in the texture, just as much as the taste. It's not the strongest flavor you'll find, it's quite watery, really, but the flesh of well-prepared fresh lobster has just the right amount of tenderness and resistance. I really like the taste, though, if it's fresh. Crab just seems too salty to me, and most types of shrimp are flavorless by themselves, but I can eat an entire lobster without a single drop of garlic butter or sauce and consider that a satisfying meal.

Oooh, yeah, that's a fair point that totally skipped my mind...I live in Kansas.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Of course, the flip side of not having access to particularly fresh seafood (which I generally don't care much for anyway) is that I can throw a rock out my front door in any direction and hit a great BBQ place. I live walking distance of a Joe's Kansas City, formerly Oklahoma Joe's, location, which Anthony Bourdain named one of his seven places to eat before you die. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Snak posted:

Oh yeah i always put an egg in ramen. I also find that minced garlic from a jar is a great addition to almost any food.

Edit: I wish this fuckin rear end in a top hat would just die. The cops won't do anything even though he's borderline catatonic and drinking like 3 bottle of liquor a day. The hospital won't loving admit him. If none of the people you're supposed to call in a situation like this are going to do anything for him, what the gently caress.

Hahahaha sorry but that was a hard segue

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was able to find the Facets DVD through my library. It's not, like, a terrible transfer, the movie just deserves a better one.

Yeah, Satantango is maybe my favorite movie of all-time and I desperately wish it had an incredibly lavish Criterion set with a pristine restoration and transfer and a thick-rear end booklet of essays by Jonathan Rosenbaum and poo poo but it's not currently unwatchable.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Or you could see it in the theater, like me :whatup:

Ohhhhh I fucken hate you!!!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't think Lumet does a particularly good job shooting and staging the dance numbers, but otherwise it owns.

He discusses quite a bit in his book Making Movies what a difficult film it was to shoot, for the sheer logistical nightmare of using all those NYC landmarks and getting permission to shoot there and having limited time to do so etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm sure Aykroyd thought he was fleeing a real paranormal event.

loving hell I laughed so hard at this.

• Locked thread