Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
last movie of 2016 for me was Mad Max: Fury Road for the 4th (5th?) viewing. watched it new years eve with the surround sound cranked. i have the sub woofer behind my couch, so the engine rumbles actually rumbled the couch. it was dope.

Hoping first movie of the year is going to be Predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

He Never Died was great, Henry Rollins is hilarious as curmudgeonly Terminator. I've only joined Netflix last night but I've already seen two movies I would have bought otherwise, suck my dick physical media!

I loving love this movie.

physical media is great for when poo poo you bought years ago on amazon mysteriously disappears from your video library and your purchase history and so you have no recourse but to buy it again. that's super cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never saw The Astronaut Farmer, but everything that I know about it makes it sound like it has themes ranging from intellectually perverse to disgustingly anti-science.

Rambo 3's message continues to be great, and does much more to inform the context of real world events than the other way around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress uses "gallant"?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Buying sheet music for use by other people seems like it would be a super common thing. I'm sure there is a way to do it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

To me it's always been more than a little shocking and pathetic just how utterly lost Apple seem without Jobs. Like, I never gave him that much credit but apparently he was the only one there that had any clue about anything

It really seems like they've just been drinking their own coolaid. Like they totally believe that they are this monolithic entity that determines market trends and people will buy their stuff just because it's trendy. Yeah, that's true for now, but it's not a permanent status. They became that way because of accessibility and perceived quality. Now they are throwing both of those away for some abstract attempt at "innovation".

I was literally fed up with my lovely Lenovo and had decided my next laptoo would be a macbook pro. This was right before the new macbook with the touch bar was announced. There's now zero chance of me buying one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

I get what they're trying for and that's admirable, even if it's not currently the most practical for all uses.

Back when I was in college, I had to plug in my mouse, an Ethernet cable, my printer via USB, and speakers. Plus anything else I needed to use. Even flash drives. On my current desktop, my printer, mouse, keyboard, and internet connection are all wireless. The only thing actually connected is my external backup drive. I could have gotten a model that's wireless. USB drives aren't as manditory anymore because you can upload stuff to iCloud or Google Drive now.

However, all this is dependent on whether Bluetooth or Wi-Fi are fast enough. Same reason why I don't think digital files are quite there yet for home video. If you have a fast enough device and a fast connection, great. If not...

Here's the thing though: they could have released the product that is the new macbook pro as some new product or as a new macbook air. They could have called it the new macbook art or whatever. But they should have made a safe and standard professional quality macbook pro that would be compatible with peoples existing needs. That's all they had to do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait are there Overcooked leaderboards?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

No I don't think so, but I've gotten 3 stars with every map with 3 separate partners (which the XBox said was like a pretty rare achievement to do once, maybe less than 1%?) and have racked up some obnoxious past-3-star records on a bunch of the maps, so I feel comfortable in my use of goofy hyperbole

Lol that's fine. I do not doubt your abilities.

My Overcooked partner is someone I've worked with in multiple real life kitchens with, so we bring in a lot of experience with that dynamic. A competitive aspect would have been really cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

Doesn't it have a versus mode?

Yeah, but all multiplayer is local. If my local team could compete against other teams, even if it was just leaderboards, that would be really cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

God I hate Hellraiser: Bloodline.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Seed of Chucky has an entire Glen or Glenda subplot. It's real weird.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I wanna see the version of Iron Man 2 where it's revealed that Tony Stark's father actually was a huge rear end in a top hat who stole the cheap energy device in order to profit off of it.

Yeah, Crimson Dynamo being vindicated would have gone a long way to making that mess watchable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Jesus you are clashing so hard.

This post made me queue up London Calling on youtube.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
what is /pol/?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Silent Hill has a lot going for it, but it's marred by an insane amount of exposition. The climax of the movie is interrupted by a giant info dump.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked American Ultra quite a bit. I strongly disliked the coda, and Kristen Stewart was totally wasted and her character was pretty shittily written.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, her whole character was basically "I am in love with the protagonist because that's the plot and central quality of my character".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was a somewhat effective reveal that Goggins's character was mentally handicapped. Just conceptually, it drove home the idea that the government was the bad guys, and everyone else was a victim. Which is part of why the ending of "getting to be an agent" was so stupid and counter to the rest of the movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Just applied for a research job that I'm actually qualified for and would pay a living wage and allow me to move to the city, so lend me your fuckin energy everybody.

Gonna be real hard waiting for three+ weeks to hear back while still working full time in a call center+living in a laundry room

Good luck!

On an unrelated note: You guys sure turned on Blair Witch pretty quick. It hasn't even been six months.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
CelticPredator: if after my feedback on your short film, you still want to hear feedback from me, I will certainly read your screenplay.

Wait, how many pages was it again?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

It's really dang long. 160 pages.

Okay but, it's still like, short for a novel. So yeah, I'll read it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cowboys versus Aliens.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Oh god. That movie was completely wretched. It's so far from being the fun or entertaining in anyway. I always completely forget it exists until someone mentions it. I think I can confidently say it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

It actually had a lot going for it and some cool ideas. But then it also had some completely loving stupid bullshit that ruined the whole thing.

I don't think could be fixed in editing, I think some pretty significant rewrites would be needed to salvage the good parts of it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
King of the Hill is really good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

US Troops under a NATO banner are being deployed into Poland and other Eastern European nations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5r8lsL0JSA

I'm not watching some video. Why are we invading Poland?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes I know we aren't invading Poland.

But it's not as funny to just ask why.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Get Zizek to have a cameo where he walks past at an appropriate time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Who considers Mulholland DR a horror movie?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I loved Quills when I was 16.

Also, was a huge fan of Lonesome Dove as a child.

Quills is underrated. Not great, but underrated.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm pretty sure shared that script about pissing LEGO bricks a while back.

That script will be made eventually but due to the impracticality of creating a realistic fake penis that can convincingly let out huge streams of puss, blood, and LEGO the main character will probably undergo a gender swap. That way we can just have the leading lady sit on a toilet and make pained expressions and add in some sounds of LEGO hitting porcelain and then cut to a shot of blood and LEGO flooding into the toilet bowl. The title is of course a pun that only works in Icelandic wherein an extra letter is added to the word "LEGOLAND" so it means "LEGOURINE" instead.

Are you serious? The imagery of a penis being ripped apart by a stream of lego bricks forcing their way out of/through the eurethra is the best part.

Fabricating a rubber/gel/latex prop and making a rig to force lego bricks and fluid through it would totally be worth it.

Cronenberg as gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

So are we talking a handful of 1x1 round panels or are you planning on going full Duplo?

I am picturing 2x6 block, but that's probably a bit extreme. But the tall ones. Maybe start with a 1x3, then a 1x2, then a 2x6 and call it good. Stream of urine, separate syringe to add blood as the bricks start to come.

The easiest way to do is is probably to actually drill and thread and glue the bricks onto some clear fishing line, which will be concealed by the stream of fluid and maybe a bit of digital editing if they are all seperate strings, the bricks can fall away as they come out.

This method has it's downsides, but I feel like it'll give the best bulge of the bricks traveling down the shaft. If that's not important visually (of course it is), you could instead use larger rubber tube for the shaft, which won't deform, but you put the bricks in it and push them through with a plunger.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I finally thought I'd try Shudder. Watching Antiviral right now. Holy gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I went in prepared to dislike it for political reasons, but it was pretty dang good.

I'm not a huge fan of theme that "operators know what's up but cia 'bureaucrats' are incompetent", but it's a tradition that date back to at least Rambo 2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

If you've read anything about CIA bureaucrats, their incompetence should be a given. If the Cold War was decided based on the relative competence of the KGB and the CIA, the Soviets would've kicked our asses within five years. CIA was, and remains full of privileged idiots in administrative positions.

Yes, but if you've read anything about "operators", many of them are psychotic racists who like to spew bullshit about how badass they are. They could have made a movie where there were mistakes made by everyone, but they made a movie around a standard "white collar vs blue collar" dynamic, where the heroic blue-collar operators are held back by cowardly white-collar CIA. I don't think they needed to make the suits the bad guys in the movie, when in my limited understanding of the complicated situation, they weren't in real life.

I have a general dislike for movies based on historical events where they make characters more villainous to make the narrative simpler. That's like, what fiction is for.

edit: Also, I put "bureaucrat" in quotes in my original post, because while the character is certainly portrayed as a bureaucrat in the film, I would be surprised of the head of a real life field office of that size was really such an incompetent paper-pusher. Yes I know that the CIA is full of incompetent paper-pushers, but are field offices really headed by people incapable of making command decisions? I thought the problem with Benghazi was that the whole office and excuse for an embassy should't have been there because it wasn't properly set up and equipped. Not that the people who worked there were morons.

But like I said, I honestly don't know very much about it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 15, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did you guys not read my extremely in-depth suggestions for how to do it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
At the same time, why not make a version of the script that is just the script for people to read? Like, the barrier fir reading it is its length. The reason its long for a scriot is because it has all thesr other directions in it. Which are fine for what CP wants to do with it.

But like, why not distribute the script-shaped one for feedback?

edit:

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'm not sure how you tell any story without simplifying it a bit unless you're making Andy Warhol's Empire.

I don't have a problem with simplifying a story. I have a problem with creating a villain where, before, none existed, specifically in reference to "true stories".

Like how in Cinderalla Man, they make Max Baer into a villain who was glad he killed people in the ring.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 15, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Watch regular first. Redux is like 45 minutes longer and has "worse" pacing.

Actually, I'm not sure I've actually ever watched Redux. It think I just watched one of the deleted sections on youtube.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jet Li's The One is dope.

A few of the effects are really bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is unwatchably bad.

Unlike every other Indy movie, the action sequences are completely sterile. The pacing is just garbage overall.

The few good ideas it has are comletely overshadowed by how clunky the execution is.

• Locked thread