Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I always forget how wonderful Kiefer Sutherland is in Fire Walk With Me, it's a great performance.

He's excellent in it. I'm hoping Lynch finds a way to get him back into the revival, since he's somehow managed to cast literally everyone else in there.

He had a weird career where he was turning in these great little performances before he hit it with 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but this is pretty interesting.

TLDR, the Titanic might've been hosed before it hit the iceberg. A fire, allegedly, made the hull weaker than it normally would've been.

It's been known about for years (It was actually reported at the time) but was often downplayed as not that important. Ultimately it was probably a lot more important than people first realised, and White Star covered it up. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but that's pretty much what they did because it would make them culpable. Knowing that Fireman who made it off the ship could testify that the loving thing had been on fire since the day they set sail, White Star Line told the New York inquest that all the Firemen died. When it came time for the full inquest, the Judge - who had ties to the shipbuilding industry - repeatedly denounced any claims that the fire had anything to do with the sinking. Firemen had to fight to be able to testify, and when it was done he still dismissed it.

It was also the reason the ship was going so fast. It wasn't trying to break records like some people claim, they were getting rid of the burning cole by shovelling it into the furnaces. By the time the fire was put out they had just enough fuel to get them to New York. Surprise surprise, what really did them in was White Star Line cutting corners and using lovely steel to save money and to get the work done faster.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So glad that Shout! Factory are bringing TALES FROM THE HOOD to Blu-Ray. Now it can replace my dirty old copy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Armond White. He's an insincere contrarian. Hate that poo poo.

While I don't disagree, I think his AMERICAN SNIPER review is great (Even though he gets an unneeded shot off at BOYHOOD).

CPL593H posted:

I mean, the villains in the Marvel movies are really bland and unmemorable archetypes so this isn't saying much.

I think they got it right with David Tennant in JESSICA JONES, particularly in our current climate. But then fell right off with whatever the gently caress was going on in LUKE CAGE.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Man, I wanted to like BLAIR WITCH (2016) more than I did. I think it's clear they wanted to hold back some things for a sequel (They confirm as much in their commentary) and it suffers for it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Krazyface posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude is like one of the best and oldest podcasts out there. There's a thread in RGD with loads of clips in the OP.
Also You Must Remember This, a Hollywood history podcast.

UYD will always be my go to podcast. At this point Seth and Jonathan are my longest relationship.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's really funny that it was seen as cheap and tasteless in the UK, it's extremely well acted.

Snootiness aside, it came at a time when the floodgates opened on 70s entertainers who were revealed to be pieces of poo poo. Also you couldn't move for Glitter coverage and pictures of him cavorting with kids in Cambodia.

But then we are the same country who lost their poo poo over that BRASS EYE special.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Fifteen of Many posted:

I've heard a few places that the use of songs in Suicide Squad is bad. Could anyone elucidate on a few examples of what makes selection and use in that film particularly egregious and provide a counter example of good use of songs in film? I'd like to understand more about the craft behind selecting tracks.

For one thing they're extremely obvious, as though Ayer doesn't have to tell you anything about the character because the song does it for you. When Waller is introduced it uses Sympathy For The Devil (which to be honest was so on the nose that I thought it was great). Also it feels like wallpapering over missing footage. Had to cut something out but still need to explain it? Montage and music baby.

For another there's so many of them. The opening goes from song to song to song so quickly. Another bad example is GHOSTBUSTERS. The opening theme kicks in and then is awkwardly faded out 30 seconds later as though they thought they could get it under fair use or something.

For much better examples watch GOODFELLAS, or BOOGIE NIGHTS. Failing that try most Tarantino or if you're a TV fan both MAD MEN and THE SOPRANOS used music really well.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

he wrote an entire article in FCH voice about why the first two weezer albums are the only good ones

Well I mean, he's right.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

There are more BLAIR WITCH parodies than you'd expect.

EROTIC WITCH PROJECT (2 of them), THE BARE WENCH PROJECT (3 of them), THE BARE TITS PROJECT, DA HIP HOP WITCH, that episode of WWE Raw that had a segment that was called 'The Blonde Bytch Project' and was pulled immediately once Vince McMahon actually saw it.

The video shop I worked at were inundated with them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

This BMD piece, an interview with the head of India's censor board, is pretty great. If not completely futile:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/19/indian-censorship-interview-pahlaj-nihalani

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Who was the person whose main takeaway from La La Land was "Black people ruined jazz"? Because I finally saw the film, and I don't follow that reading at all.

I saw way way way too many pieces about how the movie makes the case that the white man is saving jazz and it's like...all he does is open a jazz club.

Anyway, I wish there was more stuff like this online. Quint from AICN took pictures from a Universal promo book from 1973. Essentially it was just something sent out to cinemas to say hey this is what we got coming up and it's going to be awesome. Some of it is just movies that were about to come out, some were movies that had different poster art made up, but then some came to nothing at all. There's the original, and more sinister, poster for RADIOLAND MURDERS, that has Lucas' name on as Director and some awesome JAWS art.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/76981

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The latest IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY was an all timer. Just great stuff.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It better news apparently Joe Carnahan is remaking the Raid. Not a bad choice, but I hope someone else writes it, Carnahan's sense of humor is borderline grating to me.

He's already said it's tonally closer to THE GREY and NARC. But he also listed himself as Director/Producer so I'm guessing he's not writing the script anyway. He's a pretty good choice though, and I heard for a while that Frank Grillo was trying to get it off the ground.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

FRAILTY, NEAR DARK, TRESPASS, THE VAGRANT, TWISTER, ALIENS, THE DARK BACKWARD, EDGE OF TOMORROW, NIGHTCRAWLER, HAYWIRE, CLUB DREAD, A SIMPLE PLAN, APOLLO 13: Paxton elevated anything he was in. The dude was a joy to watch.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

I read on twitter that DiCaprio gave Emma Stone the envelope/card and she still had it backstage so there might have been a second one printed?

They have 2 of everything printed up. Why the gently caress someone isn't just binning the copies when they're done I don't know.

Still, I can't decide if Beatty turned to Dunaway for help or if he set her up. He gives her the card, notes his confusion, she laughs him off, he sees what's coming and doesn't stop her.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LOGAN was fantastic. It's almost not fair to refer to it as a superhero movie. It feels more like THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Timby posted:

Holy loving gently caress, everyone knows what movies you're talking about. All-caps is a weird script thing and you know it.

Oh I'm so sorry. Would you prefer I italicized titles? Or put them in bold? Shall I include the date too or should I put the title within quote marks? Can I capitalise any letters? How about taking a step back and accepting that everyone has their own way of posting instead. You'll be better off for it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I doubt that most CineD posters are assholish enough to sit someone down in real life and tell them that actually, Marvel movies are bad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Watching Ghostbusters (2016) for the first time and i'm pretty much having the inverse reaction of everyone else i'd heard talk about it. The ghosts look fine so far and it does "feel" like ghostbusters movie, but the actresses are horrible and not at all funny. (movie is about halfway done) The Extras and B characters are fine, but any time the mains are on screen it just.... dies.

Most people said they loved the actresses but the rest of the movie fell flat.

It's frankly not that good. I liked it more on my first viewing, but the second got to be sort of a slog. Andy Garcia probably gets the best line in the whole thing.

Of the cast,I think Leslie Jones actually comes off the best. Wiig and McCarthy barely register, and though McKinnon walked away with the movie on first watch, the second time she comes across as a series of tics without a character.

I do really like the ghost designs though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think that people believing the earth is flat, in the year 2017, is one of the more alarming and infuriating trends I've ever encountered.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

To join in on the SPACEBALLS chat: it sucks. It's always sucked. It's a Friedberg/Seltzer movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Topher Grace actually plays the Venom/Brock stuff really campy, both his and Franco's performances are extremely gay, while the Sandman stuff has very nuanced paternal-filial and class tension elements. The fight sequences are also wonderful, particularly the first Hobgoblin fight. The biggest weaknesses in the film are length and a totally ancillary Gwen Stacy character.

Fun Fact: Raimi had written the scene in his treatment for SM3 where Peter and Mary Jane are on a date and they bump into an old friend of theirs from school. Peter is a little careless and briefly flirts with her, kind of ignoring that MJ is right and they get into a fight about it. Avi Arad loved the idea, and insisted that it would be a perfect place to use Gwen Stacy (Who was not in Raimi's treatment) because that's what the fans would want. So all of a sudden Raimi has to write her into the movie too.

He also used the same 'That's what the fans would want' excuse when he forced venom in there, despite Raimi vocally insisting for years that he didn't like the character.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I had a weird double bill yesterday of GHOST IN THE SHELL and then GET OUT. It certainly cast the former in a different light.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

The Fate of the Furious still has boatloads of charisma at its back, it's a worthy addition to the series on a thematic level, and it keeps the franchise's wonderfully jigsaw approach to set pieces mostly intact, but F Gary Gray is not just as talented of a director as Justin Lin or James Wan doing a Justin Lin impression. There were like two good shots in the whole thing

It was disappointing to see that one of the biggest setpieces were just CG moments and reaction shots.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

FishBulb posted:

The last 15 years must have been really hard for you

they have been for me too

I think it stands out more given that Gray is such a flat director. At least Wan and Lin have a more dynamic style.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Still not sure I understand Max Landis' issue with a teaser trailer. Like, someone show him that old BACK TO THE FUTURE one and see what he thinks. Or ALIEN and so on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Shameful lack of THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH in those MST3K recommendations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I wish we lived in an age where PR people didn't get in the way all the time, because then we could have more books like Roger Moore writing about his time making LIVE AND LET DIE. I picked it up on eBay after reading this:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/04/21/roger-moores-book-about-the-making-of-live-and-let-die-is-bonkers

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rewatching TWIN PEAKS again in anticipation for the new season and while ultimately the show doesn't hang together (Particularly in the back half of Season 2...whoo boy) but it is a series of wonderful moments, moreso whenever Lynch is at the helm. I can't really fathom what people in '91 would've made of scenes of BOB crawling over the sofa towards the camera. Or BOB in general.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

To me a lot of it had to do with the final act. There's a lot of cool stuff involving the fallout from Prometheus, but in the end, all that results is scenes of an alien stalking people just like in the other Alien movies. The third act in particular is really just Alien in miniature, there's something crawling around the ship, it kills some people, gets blown out the airlock. And then there's the ending which struck me as cynical even for the series- all the previous entries end on some note of hope.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the alien being specifically engineered to kill humans, either. Like I think it works better if that's just what the universe is like, everything out there hates you and wants you dead. Xenomorphs, Engineers, we're just not welcome.

I feel like Scott wanted to remake PROMETHEUS but tried to wrap it up in a more palatable ALIEN movie.

Death By The Blues posted:

Starting it right now. Never seen it before. Exciting times.

Just the movie or the whole show?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Death By The Blues posted:

Whole show.

May get high and watch the rest, long weekend here in Canada so uh yea.

That's a lot. If you want my advice you'll go from S2E10 right to the last two episodes, because you're going to get a whole lot of bullshit that means literally nothing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Budgie Jumping posted:

Twin Peaks Season 2 wholly rules.

As I just got done with it again...I beg to differ. Harold Smith, Catherine as a Japanese businessman, Nadine thinking she's a high schooler again, James and his misadventures, Billy Zane, whatever the gently caress goes on with Audrey and her plot, Ben Horne and the Civil War. All of it a massive drag.

However, there is some great stuff. BOB, Leland singing while Ben and Jerry dance, GORDON COLE, Leo in a coma, Mike, David Duchovny (And the surprisingly respectful way they treat that storyline) the resolution of the mystery, the final episodes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Watching Fire Walk With Me, about halfway through, and it's better than I remember but it's still one of my least favorite Lynch films.

Even with all the Red Room stuff and whathaveyou, it's less quirky Lynch and more just an open wound of a movie about abuse. I think it's fantastic (Though I wish some of the deleted scenes made their way back in, particularly the Jefferies stuff) but I can see why it wouldn't be anyone's favourites.

As for the new show, I hope that Leo and Shelly still have that half-completed house. It's a weird background choice to have their home remain unfinished and never commented on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's entirely possible that Lynch will lose his way with these episodes, but I'm glad it hasn't been an X-FILES level disaster from the off. And hell, even Lynch going off the rails would be more interesting that like 99% of other people going off the rails.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

weekly font posted:

Wasn't the real fear that it would be on rails?

I was extremely nervous for about the first 75 minutes but now I can't wait to revisit after it's over and see how wrong I was.

It's interesting. I think some people wanted more TWIN PEAKS and some people thought that Lynch was going to deliver INLAND EMPIRE for 18 hours again. I suppose 'off the rails' depends how you feel about latter day Lynch.

Also, to jump back to S2 of TWIN PEAKS the murder of Maddie is incredibly disturbing, even 25 years on. It plays with no music, just the click and hiss of a record that has ended.The switches between Leland and Bob. The crying. The dancing. Sheryl Lee showing that she has a gut-wrenching scream before we got to see it in FWWM

I also forget how good Lara Flynn Boyle is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

SleepCousinDeath posted:

yo seriously tho if I watch The Wire should I watch it on Amazon Prime where it's 16:9 or the DVD's I have where I'm guessing it's 4:3

I think you retain the original vision and watch the DVD versions. David Simon makes a case breaking down the remasters, but he still admits that ultimately it was something that HBO forced. In all fairness there are scenes where the reframing works (Particularly some crowd scenes in S2) but by and large it isn't needed.

It's certainly not anything like the disaster of the Buffy set though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

While that TWIN PEAKS guide is accurate, by skipping them you'll miss out on the aforementioned David Duchovny as Denise, but also some of Lynch's best stuff as Gordon Cole.

Just this whole scene is magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCs_kGSs0M4

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

"My dharma is the road. Your dharma is......(waves hand)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm genuinely shocked and thankful that I haven't seen a lovely medium article about how problematic that character is yet.

I've seen quite a few praising the show for doing it originally and for treating it right this time around. Personally, I think that Duchovny is a tad hammy in his scene (Given he first played that character 25 years ago, and for about 20 minutes of screentime, it's not that surprising that he might not have a handle on her) but I like that the scene isn't about Denise being a trans person, the focus instead is on Cole. Plus "Fix your hearts or Die," is a lovely sentiment.

• Locked thread