Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Calaveron posted:

What loving movie did you watch, an hour and six minutes in and it's been nothing but middle school atheist bullshit which is also one of the reasons I woulda loved this movie when I was in sixth grade, no commentary on food

I mean it argues much more for tolerance and respect of people's religious views than it does for atheism. I saw a few people say the movie is about how atheism is great and it's like ok, if you ignore where he goes around screaming in people's faces about how dumb they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

While there are certainly women being forced into prostitution everywhere, even places where it's legal, I'm willing to bet a much higher percentage of sex workers are being forced into it in countries where it's illegal.

Weirdly enough I've been listening to a West Wing podcast recently, and today they had a former CIA Agent who now runs a charity where they rescue people from forced prostitution. He talked about that same thing that even in places where prostitution was legal, they would be offered children for a greater price. Now obviously this isn't going to be the case everywhere (Amsterdam's red light district is likely going to be different from Haiti for example) and there are indeed women who enter prostitution of their own volition and make a lot of money doing it, but of course you'll have illegal activity hiding behind legal means.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Liked HBomberguy's SHERLOCK video. Surprised that in the section about Moriarty and Irene Adler he didn't mention ELEMENTARY, which does something vastly more interesting with those characters. It also makes Watson a vital part of the team, and not an idiot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Did anyone who worked with him actually like Chevy Chase? I know the story about Comedy Central having to get people who didn't even know him to perform at his roast because of how many bridges he'd burned + everyone hating him on Community.

Very few people do. Though even Dan Harmon admitted that a lot of the time he and Chase got on well until things went awkward between them and Harmon made things worse. I think Joel McHale liked him, though he admitted he can be difficult to work with. That Saturday Night Live book makes it clear that no one liked him. Though funnily enough he only wanted to be a writer on that show and not a performer, which makes me wonder how things would've been different if he hadn't been convinced to take the performing gig as well.

I will say though that I thought his issues with where COMMUNITY was heading was on the money. He greatly grew to dislike the "character is lovely, character gets taught a lesson, character gives speech saying they've learned something" formula that the show was falling into but was dismissed as a cranky old dude. Which of course he was, but it doesn't make him wrong either.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I thought seasons 5 and 6 were mostly pretty good and the only real issue was that the characters had to address that their lives weren't progressing at all even though it had been 6 years, which forced them to take a more kinda depressing view on the character arcs + they were bleeding cast members left and right.

Also I really grew to hate Abed by the end. He's always right about everything despite being the "weird" one! And he's more empathic and caring than everyone else despite having actual medical problems keeping him from relating to others! And he's the smartest and strongest and :barf:

The more they leaned on Abed, the more thoroughly unlikeable he became. It ends up making it seem like his 'disability' allows him to have special powers like he's Daredevil or something. And really he doesn't work at all without Troy being there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

STIR OF ECHOES has one of the only shots in a movie that ever truly makes me shudder, and it goes back to it repeatedly.

I actually also prefer it to the book, which has a terrible ending.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

Stir of Echoes accidentally showed me what it means to be a really good director though it's commentary. in the commentary the director talks about how it's aggravating to have this vision in your head and if you try really hard you might be able to sometimes come close to matching that vision but you can never match it 100%. Then soon afterwards I was listening to the commentary for Se7en and there Fincher talked about how sometimes you have this vision of how a scene should look in your head and how sometimes you might have to shoot it a 100 times but how satisfying it was to get it to match 100%. That really showed me why some people are David Fincher and why others are that guy who directed Stir of Echoes.

edit: :lol: the guy that directed Stir of Echoes also directed Mortdecai

If he was a really good director, he'd get it right in fewer takes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dan Ackroyd was on TV this morning and blasted Paul Feig over the GHOSTBUSTERS remake. He told them that there was 40 million spent on reshoots and that Feig isn't welcome back at Sony. You can watch the show again on demand but his comments have been cut.

I'm so-so on that remake, in that it was a talented cast and some funny moments that were undercut by a director who can just about direct, but I like Feig generally and hope he gets to make something more in his wheelhouse.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 4, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

In things I didn't see coming, Val Kilmer just regularly hangs out on Reddit now, commenting on movies.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone know a really good audiobook version of Sherlock Holmes stories? I wanna get into it but my eyesight problems mean sitting down and reading a ton of short stories is a no-no. The free version on youtube has a dreadfully boring narrator.

Duh.

If you have an audible account (or a free trial) they've just released the complete set of all novels and short stories with Stephen Fry narrating it and it's really very good.

It is also about 75 hours long.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think it was the LOST scripts that had stuff like "and then -HOLY poo poo!- a UFO busts through the loving wall oh my god!"

I think the writers said that they wanted moments to land for the people reading the scripts, so they'd just throw swearing in.

As for the Whedon thing, I don't really see it as some 'gotcha!' moment. It's just a draft of a script, probably one of many. Like when that JJ Abrams Superman script got leaked. People claimed that JJ Abrams would've ruined Superman if he got to make his movie, even though he admitted that by the time he started the next draft most of that poo poo was gone.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Seems that Lawrence Kasdan didn't like what Lord & Miller were doing to his script, and Kathleen Kennedy didn't like how they interacted with the actors and the crew (whatever that means. Too friendly perhaps). So she sided with Kasdan and fired them.

The director of DREAMCATCHER has struck again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

Sooo what's everyone's beef with Ron Howard?

I like Howard when he's not doing Dan Brown poo poo ( I really like THE MISSING) but he's like the exact choice to make something really safe. To be fair, that's clearly what Disney want. I have no doubt that if it wasn't for DGA rules that Kasdan would've ended up making it himself.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

married but discreet posted:

Why would anyone grind up the noble peanut? Who would do such a thing?

Get natural peanut butter, not Sun-Pat.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

natural peanut butter is a scam. No one actually likes it, which makes sense because it's gross. People buy natural peanut butter instead of regular good peanut butter because they think it's gotta be in some way healthier or classier. But it's not. It's a scam.

Nah.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Snak posted:

I have a lot of beef with even the way Dexter himself is characterized.

They never do anything interesting with his supposed condition. The idea that he has this "Dark Passenger", a drive to kill, addiction to killing. Not addressed or explored. The idea that he's a psychopath, with very limited emotional connections to other people? They pay it lipservice, but yet most of his kills are either acts of rage, or out of desire to protect his family. Like a normal person would.

Literally the most interesting character direction in the entire show was the incest storyline that they backed the gently caress off of because it grossed everyone out. Like, yeah, incest is gross, but it was a great direction to take with the characters who have this crazy dysfunctional co-dependency and were raised by an actual psychopath, Harry. Like for real, Harry is way more of a psychopath than Dexter ever was. In fact, that's a great idea for a story. A kid is hosed up, and instead of getting the help he needs, he's groomed into becoming a serial killer by an actual psychopath.

Apparently Showtime has good shows again, but Dexter, Weeds, and Californication turned me off any Showtime series for a long time, because they all have the same bullshit problems.

Alan Sepinwall wrote that they had to make Dexter the friendly neighbourhood serial killer and that it really neutered the show. Every season it makes things easy for Dexter, because everyone he faces up against is worse than he is. Any time it threatens to get interesting (Like say the season with Jimmy Smits) they give themselves an out by making that other person so crazy that Dexter simply has to kill them and make the audience feel alright at the end. That he's a serial killer eventually just doesn't matter because the show firmly positions him as the "good guy".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

married but discreet posted:

Up until the end where he gains ~*sElf ReSpEct*~, whereupon he makes the flimsiest apologies for his past tremendously assholish actions, everyone forgives him and he gets the girl. gently caress that so much. He's still an rear end in a top hat but it's ok cause he respects himself. Great lesson learned.

edit: Like loving absolutely nothing changes, self respect is another power up in his manchild video game world that gives him the power of control over women.

Yeah that's not really what happens. It doesn't matter if Scott and Ramona stay together, what matters is that they've both decided to be honest and to try being grown ups. I think they know they won't last, but they're willing to try anyway instead of being kids with stupid baggage.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Dalton Bonds are good, but they're also in this weird space where they're coming off the camp of the Moore era and then trying to deliver a more 'realistic' 80s action movie. Dalton will also be underrated though and along with Brosnan could've been the best Bond if the movies around them were better.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

It seemed like Wright intended to use this film to take to its logical conclusion the "musical world" sensibility that crops up momentarily in his other works, but he stayed his hand in the end, to his detriment.

What was really weak was the way that they wrote the ending. It kinda begs belief that he got a five year sentence for all that, not to mention that that woman would testify to his character for stealing her car because he apologized, but more than that, if they had ended with him doing time and the suggestion that he would be reunited with Deborah in the end, that would've been okay. But the quick leap forward five years just felt like it removed any gravity from a years-long incarceration, which is some lame poo poo to do.

Counter: They were nice enough kids and they deserved their ending. Perhaps it's just the world we're in, but I'm happy to have a big shot of sincerity at the moment.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Man I'm reading up about some of the lesser-known people who were in Twin Peaks and it's like really bittersweet. Jimmy Scott had to work lame-rear end jobs for most of his life but his singing career experienced a revival in the early 90s, thanks in part to his bit in Twin Peaks, so he got to spend his golden years as a jazz legend after giving up on his dream of being a star in the 60s. Frank Silva was just a set dresser who ended up as one of the most important characters in the show through a complete accident, was a celebrity at twin peaks cons and stuff, and he died about a year after Fire Walk With Me came out due to complications from HIV.

This weird show touched a lot of lives in unexpected ways.

Yeah so this is late, but the Frank Silva thing has always been debated. I believe officially it was a heart attack, then a Spanish book or Fanzine said it was AIDS and then it was later said a heart attack due to complications from AIDS. I don't think it's ever been confirmed either way.

But I went through the same thing as you and looked up all those people. I'm even kind of sad that Leo's actor isn't in the new episodes. He was always amazingly sleazy and bad in that special way that TWIN PEAKS men were.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think BLADE RUNNER is fine, that the art direction is stellar, that the performances are great but that the 'Deckard is a replicant' ending is utter nonsensical bullshit that Scott insists on because he thinks it gives the movie more depth.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

GRAVITY was just a worse ALL IS LOST.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Gravity was a movie you absolutely had to see in theater that has zero reason to exist on home release.

See also; AVATAR.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The great Vern published a list of the best American action movies. Recognise: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/best-american-action-movies

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Raimi's SM3 treatment made it clear that he was interested in looking at the cracks in that relationship, but with all the poo poo that went on it kind of just ends up being hamfisted instead.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Wow, how is Dunkirk 20 minutes shorter than Girls Night?

I'm glad it wasn't any longer. From the start it's pretty relentless.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Oh noooo, Judd Apatow!

Although I hear a surprising amount of the first Iron Man was improvised or written just before shooting a scene, so that's not the worst idea.

RDJ and Favreau admitted that they were either just making it up on the day, or that they were calling up Shane Black and asking for lines.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bobby Briggs being the heart on TWIN PEAKS makes me happy. And Dana Ashbrook has been great in his scenes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The two best guys this season are Bobby and Matthew Lillard.

I dig this character actor stage of Lillard's career. He was really good in THE BRIDGE as well.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Feels like cheating to say MacLachlan is doing a great job.

Totally agreed. Belushi and Tom Sizemore have been great.

It isn't long or anything, so I queued it up.

Ah poo poo I forgot about Sizemore. Seeing him skulking around in the background of scenes has been some of the funniest moments for me.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Timby posted:

EON has announced that Bond 25 will come out on November 8, 2019, but notably missing from the announcement are a distribution partner (since Sony's deal expired after Spectre), a director and who's playing Bond.

Nice of them to do this right before Craig will be doing the promotional tour for LOGAN LUCKY.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

General Dog posted:

Does anybody remember Nathan Rabin, the "My Year of Flops" guy who gave us the phrase "manic pixie dream girl"? I guess he left the AV Club again a few months ago and started his own blog, and my oh my has he been lowkey melting down. The whole thing is just a descent madness and despair.

https://www.nathanrabin.com/

His site is good. I think he's arguably putting out too much content for one person (and he's putting out more than the AVClub are) but some of it is requested by Patreon backers.

His Corey Feldman month was great - culminating in him seeing Feldman perform live - and hopefully he's inspired more people to pick up the preposterously named 'Coreyography', which is utterly brutal at times.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

Should I get this? I think I should get this.

I liked it quite a bit.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Is there another actor who looks like a movie star but enjoys playing sleazy characters as much as Michael Douglas does?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Reading HELTER SKELTER again. I forget how close everything comes to collapsing if it wasn't for the fact that Bugliosi got really lucky. Also forgot the amount of early support Manson got from some corners, who saw him as a legitimate counter-culture figure that struck a blow against the establishment.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Hanna is rad. I saw it randomly after I saw Your Highness, which was not good and very disappointing.

Don't improv joke your whole movie if you're dealing with a story. It just doesn't work.

They manage it better than GHOSTBUSTERS 2016 did. But admittedly I'm a small number of YOUR HIGHNESS fans

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

CineD, what's the worst movie that you love?

THE ROOM. Once I've got past the silly comedy of it all I've come to appreciate it as one man's incredibly sad outlook on life.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't really think that cheating on your wife stops making you a feminist. One is a worldview and the other is just being a weak person (And cowardly trying to justify it in a weird way instead of saying hey I like to gently caress, and I got into a situation where I get to gently caress people a lot).

I'm not really sure a post breakup interview is the smoking gun people like to claim, but the dubious claim that Whedon somehow tricked women into sleeping with him by pretending to be woke is really giving no women anywhere any credit.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: Like, I'd probably be able to successfully argue that Kanye is a much, much better person than someone like John Lennon, who I think resembles Kanye in terms of artistic output. John Lennon abandoned his kid and first wife (who he treated very poorly, to the point of abuse), and was definitely not always a fun person to be around. But we remember Lennon as some sort of saint. Like I'm pretty sure Kanye has never hit Kim.

I don't know, I feel like whenever Lennon is mentioned it's always with the caveat that he was an awful person too. At least though he spoke about it and his struggles with that side of himself when he was older, though I don't know if he changed his ways.

I don't even think Kanye is that bad all told. At least his dickishness is out there for the world to see. He's an egotist, but then so many great artists were. It would be a lot sadder if he didn't have the talent to back it up. I mean I like Swift, but all of her bullshit is done behind closed doors and just feels more insidious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I knew that Rob Ager was always up his own rear end, but his piece on 'Why Post-Millenial Movies Are So Bad' is hilarious. Here's a tip Rob: watch better movies.

http://www.collativelearning.com/Why%20movies%20so%20bad.html

• Locked thread