Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I have a strong desire to facepalm so hard I wind up touching the BACK of my skull...

There is a REASON it's a bad idea to use a fireplace (or furnace, in this case) when the chimney's clogged: You're liable to smother yourself because the smoke doesn't have anywhere to go except into the house! And if anyone brings up air pressure: If the air pressure gets high enough to dislodge a bell, it's probably enough to either cause serious damage to anyone nearby (such as the poor sap stoking the fire), or prevent starting a fire in the first place.

No matter how you look at it, there's no way in hell that ridiculous plan would actually work outside of a video game or cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You'd think they'd at least stuff some fertiliser up there with the ore.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Harvest Moon is developing breech-loading cannon technology.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

AltaBrown posted:

Harvest Moon is developing breech-loading cannon technology.

Another day. Water the crops, feed the animals, load the mortars, give a gift to that cute girl, go mining.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Cooking and killing [Ambrosia multiple] time[s] while we wait for the story to progress itself.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The number of crops you get per harvest is actually its own stat, which gradually increases as you farm. See those lines in your field? Those indicate different "sections" which each have their own levels (I'd go into more detail, but it's kind of over my head, and probably too verbose to post here anyway. There's a guide on the topic on GameFAQs for those of you who want to know more).

The thing Brent was holding at about 3:20 of the video was... some status-healing item. I think it was a Para-Gone? And for those of you wondering, yes, 3/4 of the purpose-made status-healing items in this game are about that self-explanatory (certain foods can cure various status problems too, but that's not their primary use).

Personally, that whole thing with Eliza just makes me facepalm... :doh: I mean, it's not like making the request box a character actually adds anything to the game, right?

I'm quite fond of Forte's reaction to chocolate cake. You are planning on showing the "favorite gift" reactions at some point, right?

Probably the best bet for winning a Year 1 Cooking Contest is Bamboo Rice (whose recipe should be pretty obvious- hope you kept some of that bamboo from clearing your fields over the first week!); it strikes the best balance between difficulty (which improves your score in the judging) and ingredient availability in the early game, I think (Toast would hold this position if you could possibly get an oven and about 20 Cooking skill before the festival ends). Also of note: All festivals are save-scummable, with the townsfolk's results only being determined when you go to the rankings; so long as you meet a minimum requirement, the only limiting factor on how often you win is how stubborn you are.

Scrap Metal is, in itself, pretty much useless, actually. The item you're thinking of with ONE use is Scrap Metal+ (note the plus), which is an entirely different item that makes weapons it's used to upgrade do exactly 1 damage, no matter what. It's useful for farming Mineral Squeaks, which, when struck, drop items that can be forged into equipment to multiply the effects of the last item used to strengthen it by either 3 or 9, depending on the precise variant dropped (1 for the original item, plus 2 for Double Steel or 8 for Ten-Fold Steel). Each only works once on a given piece of equipment, though, so you should use it on something good!

In closing: I got a mention in someone else's LP! :toot: (That said, I don't think I can actually call myself a proper LPer, since I've only done two challenge runs of Final Fantasy 5 in a megathread... I'd kind of like to fix that somehow, but LPs seem like more of an investment in time and attention than I'm capable of right now.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, now that the whole level thing is sinking in I can't help but wish the game would get ridiculous at the end. You start off growing turnips and potatoes and by the end you're some kind of Old One farmer, planting wool in the ground and growing furnaces and gemstones, cooking bizarre meals like Klein bottle riceballs and other off the wall poo poo like that.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Highwang Travis, you were thinking of the cloaca, which is what birds and reptiles have. It's, uh, not really something you'd name a character after, let alone a bachelorette.

Also, I had Earth crystals coming out my drat ears! Seriously, I'd be in need of something like copper, but nope, it's another damned Earth crystal!

vvv oops! Thanks!

racerabbit fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 31, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
That's Travis, not Highwang.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AltaBrown posted:

Highwang Travis, you were thinking of the cloaca, which is what birds and reptiles have. It's, uh, not really something you'd name a character after, let alone a bachelorette.

Maybe they're thinking of the word 'clerical'

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Could be, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned it as being part of the body. But Clerical being the root for her name would make sense since that is basically Clorica's job.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

That big ugly plot next door becomes mine.

Small RF4 update: Travis told me he won't be able to do LPs for the foreseeable future, so starting on Part 8 Skippy and Yami will be joining me for that LP as well.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ThornBrain posted:

That big ugly plot next door becomes mine.

Small RF4 update: Travis told me he won't be able to do LPs for the foreseeable future, so starting on Part 8 Skippy and Yami will be joining me for that LP as well.

Awwww, too bad about Yoshie:Travis, how did I misread that (hopefully he's just busy with good things!).

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

But I like Travis...

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Don't adjust your Youtube. We control vertical. We control the horizontal. We control the bad farm puns.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Don't adjust your Youtube. We control vertical. We control the horizontal. We control the bad farm puns.

Cows in RF4 are fuckin ugly though. Not happy about that.

Oh well, maybe they have nice personalities

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I forget what we did in Fugue Forest, but at least we rescued a kid from a lighthouse.
That's what happens right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

That's a shame. You, Travis, and Yoshi are hilarious together. Sucks that scheduling is always so wonky.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's time for Good Idea, Bad Idea.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I would like to request you get a chipsqueek and name it Bob because squirrels are my favourites and look at those cute little bastards, I want one named after me.
If I was playing this game my monster barn would be full of nothing but the cutest animals. Only animals that would make Skippy Granola coo with joy are allowed.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

GirlCalledBob posted:

Only animals that would make Skippy Granola coo with joy are allowed.

I 100% support this approach to farming. My ideal Noah's Ark would be a goddamn teddybear picnic.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The most important question. Can you ride Chipsqueeks.

mischievousart
Apr 24, 2016
For animal names, I think Pubert needs to be reunited with his friends: Dazzle, Failur, and Taint.

Also, chipsqueeks are adorable and you should get one.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Name everything "Bob."

Everything.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, so, more pet stuff now (since that seemed to be the focus of this update).

As you might expect, two more of my "recruit 4 of them" monsters are the Cluckadoodle and the Buffamoo. Getting lots of eggs and milk is VITAL for cooking, especially some of the later recipes (for example, both are used in cakes). Incidentally, Cluckadoodles, Woolies, and Buffamoos all give bigger items depending on their levels, and the item level depends on how much they like you; the latter applies to everything you can get items from.

Regarding the monster barns (and their capacity): You can have up to 200 slots available for taming monsters, which is more than enough to tame literally every monster in the game, including some I refuse to talk about even under spoiler tags. I vote that you do so, especially the ones I won't talk about. Unfortunately, I'm not good at naming stuff, so I can't weigh in on the naming thing.

One thing I like to do with mushrooms: Status resistances are actual skills in this game; they're trained when you're inflicted with the status problem in question, so I tend to eat all the mushrooms myself to immunize myself to poison, sleep, paralysis, and seal. They can also be trained by inflicting those conditions on enemies, but that requires specific weapon upgrades, which Thorn can't do yet.

That empty room with the giant mushroom in the center... I think a giant version of those mushroom monsters might spawn there; I don't remember, though- I'm WAY further than this, so I don't really hang around the early areas very much.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

mischievousart posted:

For animal names, I think Pubert needs to be reunited with his friends: Dazzle, Failur, and Taint.

Also, chipsqueeks are adorable and you should get one.

^ This.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Don't get too excited.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

We better see a fuckbox next time, homie

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
What the gently caress, Elise?

That is not how you accept a gift, you ungrateful dick.

I can't wait for Best to own her property.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

First bell rung, so hug a fireplace in celebration.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The real best thing you can make with fire is more fire.

Fire is asexual after all.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fire is asexual after all.

I think "contagious" is more appropriate.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Travis' last update with us has Pubert take on a wet electric horse.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, now that Thorn's spilled the beans about boss recruitment, I'll say what monsters I use for combat: Two copies of Ambrosia. It amuses me how thoroughly they tend to destroy everything. I also keep a Thunderbolt as a backup for a later dungeon, for reasons which will become clear when Thorn gets there; since monsters level up even if they aren't with you (albeit more slowly than they do when they're actively participating) I don't even need to take it out for training. Of course, since the monster capacity is so generous I'm planning to recruit EVERYTHING. Yes, chipsqueaks too. And every boss in the game. And, and, and... Basically, assume that if a monster exists then I'm going to recruit it at some point. Kinda like Pokemon.

Anyway, I remember that event. It was thoroughly annoying, due to the "back to sender" nature of it. That said, town events give Prince(ss) Points upon completion, some give items (as demonstrated by Porco), and quite a few of them are marriage requirements for various romantic interests; generally, assume that if a romantic interest is a central figure in an event (not just involved, but a main character; for example, in this one Porco's the main character, while everyone you meet on your grand tour is just involved), then you need to complete that event to marry them. Also, Act 3 requires a town event of its own before you can actually start it. Unfortunately, some require more than one day to complete; the one Thorn demonstrated is a pretty good introduction to the "town event" system, since the objective is simple (to the point of being something you're gonna do anyway) and there are no delays required, and thus it's quite simple to complete it in the same day you get it.

For the record: That compatibility thing is actually completely random; even if you do it twice consecutively, it'll give different results (I think I got something really low, then immediately talked to the fortune teller again and got like a 96 with the same person). I don't think it actually serves any purpose other than flavor text, but... well, in a series like this, that's more than enough justification I say.

And yes, when there's a festival the next day the townspeople will NOT SHUT UP ABOUT IT! It's not quite as aggravating to me as my all-caps made it out to be since I tend to just skip through their dialogue anyway, but still.

Oh, and I've got an exploit for you: Sometimes Arthur will sell Rocks or Branches; these are the same as the ones you find lying around, right down to breaking them for Material Stone and Lumber. The exploit is that both Rocks and Branches can be bought for less than the materials you make out of them sell for, so you can fill up your shipping bin with, say, Material Stone while simultaneously training your Mining skill, all for a very small fee, and profit off of the whole process. Yes, there is actually a way to almost literally buy money. It's a little time-consuming, though, and relies on Arthur deciding to sell Rocks or Branches. Kind of an early-game exploit, really, considering Material Stone and Lumber still don't go for all that much.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I like how the dungeon a horse is in seems to have a very high drop rate for apples. I wonder if it's intentional, since apples are kind of the stereotypical horse snack just behind carrots.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Our first animal festival is a traumatic affair.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Thanks for making woofio the banner image.

Now I get to see it every time I check the thread.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Everyone is finally able to cook again, including Best. So naturally she cheats.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Good ol' game logic: the lack of a variable/flag tracking if you make stuff, so no one can tell if you actually made it or just bought it from someone else.

Also relevant to 'Cheeseburger rice balls:'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Valentine's Day (Feb 14, even in Japan) is the day girls give chocolates to boys (and also girls if they're into that). They have, of course, different tiers of chocolates (because of course they do) that you give depending on the meaning behind it. Obligation chocolates for co-workers and fellow students, a kind for family and friends, and then the kind you give to that special someone.

White Day (March 14) is the day the boys, having supposedly been given something edible a month beforehand, return the favor in kind. Of course, the animes never really give White Day much attention and focus almost entirely on Valentine's Day.

Both of these exist because candy companies in Japan saw what was going on in the USA and thought to themselves, "We could use that mass of revenue from a commercial holiday!" and invented the entire tradition on their own. Kind of like how Coca Cola invented the modern interpretation of Santa Claus, but to a greater extreme.

So, yes, Best should "traditionally" give stuff (see: chocolate) to everyone on Valentine's Day and she should be swarmed with reciprocal gifts a month later. Clearly this doesn't happen. Everyone's slacking. Best is trying, damnit! A fish is a good substitute for chocolate, right?

• Locked thread