Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Oh hey, Rune Factory 4. I've got that one. And yes, it's quite addicting. Looking forward to the LP! (And since I'm here, might as well check out the other two as the updates come, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

Well that jig is up awfully quickly. The Prince Pubert farce hits a snag.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(By ChibiWisdom)

I know it's a couple days late to comment on this; I just wasn't in a video-watching mood, I guess. That said, my thoughts thus far! Gonna try to avoid spoilers, because of the policy. Plus, I think you'd rather demonstrate stuff yourself if possible. Let me know if I cross a line on accident, okay?

Regarding the bachelorettes thus far: Clorica's okay, but I'm not too fond of her events (and I can't go into further detail because of the spoiler policy, so don't ask!).

Xiao Pai kinda rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's her speech patterns, maybe it's her clumsiness... maybe it's just that I have a type, and she doesn't fit it.

Margaret's overdecorated, in my opinion. I'd probably be able to tolerate it better if she didn't have those weird ear-tie things. As to her as a character... doesn't really do anything for me.

Forte is, by far, my favorite bachelorette, and quite honestly has been since the first screenshot I saw of her. I mean, she is, in my opinion, the most attractive character in the game BAR NONE, and doesn't ruin that with overaccessorizing. The fact that I like her personality on top of that pretty much cements things, really.

Oh, and I don't know if you'll show off exploits and such (especially the time-consuming ones), so I'll bring them up as they become relevant, if you don't mind (spoilered, just in case). First off (and not possible for Thorn anymore): You get the ability to gain skill levels immediately after the farming tutorial, but time doesn't actually start progressing until you meet Ventuswill and Arthur, so you can boost your Walking skill (and one other Thorn doesn't have, but could get if he wanted) as high as you have patience for on your first day. Yes, it takes a long time, but getting about 20-30 levels in two different skills helps quite a bit in combat (and it only gets better as you get more).

There's another, lesser thing I could talk about here regarding stuff like the shipping box, but Thorn will probably talk about that in an update somewhere, so I'll hold off unless I get permission.

ThornBrain posted:

First day: amazing dork boyfriend already discovered.

As for this update... that selling system sounds TERRIBLE. What made them think it was a good idea to do that?

Jonas's nose is ridiculous. Nuff said there, I think.

...Honestly, none of the characters in Story of Seasons thus far are really sticking out to me. I mean, I know it's only been a couple days of tutorial, but still.

Yes, I know, I don't have anywhere near as much to say about this as I do about Rune Factory. It's only to be expected when I've never played Story of Seasons, I'm sure.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Another exploit that's become relevant now: The easiest way to grind weapon skills is to attack your bed. Yes, seriously. It is the only thing in the entire game that is both impervious to damage and incapable of retaliating. It's another tedious one, but at least this time it's repeatable and doable in smaller doses, so you can whack it whenever you feel you've got the patience and time to spare.

Anyway, Thorn's mentioned taming monsters, so I feel like it's fine for me to mention some of the monsters I make a point of recruiting. I get four Woolies, plus four each of three other monster types that haven't been seen on-screen yet (and have recently started considering adding one more type for bulk catching). ...What? I like having crafting materials on demand.

I'd say what monsters I like getting for pure combat, but A: it's a BIG surprise that hasn't been referenced in the LP yet, and B: it's kind of overkill. The main hint I'm giving is that this is the only Rune Factory game as of this time that you can recruit it in. No, you're not getting any other hints yet.

My review of Amber as a character will be delayed until she wakes up and Thorn properly meets her so the other viewers can see what I'm talking about.

On a side note, rumors abound that Illuminata was originally intended to be a bachelorette; this is probably based primarily on the fact that she is pretty much the only non-marriageable character with alternate costumes, with a minor exception (spoilered just in case; not really a huge thing, but it's a thing none the less- and better to go overboard on spoiler tags than to get yelled at for visible spoilers).

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 17, 2017

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
This might be a bit premature, but who all do you actually like in Story of Seasons (aside from Fritz)?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
So yeah. Amber. She's an annoying little kid, she LOOKS like an annoying little kid, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she didn't actually know where kids come from. Really, I think the only reason she was added to the marriageable list was to pander to the lolicon crowd (this probably skirts a few forum rules, but at least it's in a disapproving context). Not only pass, I wish they'd completely replaced her with someone less blatantly childlike. Or at least gave the position of "bachelorette #5" to someone believable. Yeah, I'd say Amber works better in a more sisterly role (whether annoying or endearing is up to the individual, but still). Personally, I'd prefer Illuminata as #5 (though she's rather controversial; I don't mind her, obviously, but a lot of people do), though I could at least understand Ventuswill (but really, who'd want to marry a dragon? ...That was supposed to be rhetorical. Please put your hands down).

Incidentally, earlier people were talking about how few male elves there are, but personally? I'm more curious about what female dwarves look like in that universe; they have NEVER been seen, to the best of my knowledge.

Not just Rune Factory 1, but ALL the games except for this one have a canonical love interest. In 1 it was, as you said, Mist; in 2, it was Mana; in 3, it was Shara (all three seen in the picture labelled Heroine Award; from left to right: Mana, Shara, and Mist, though RF4 seems to call RF3's canonical wife Schala)... yeah, this series has a very definite trend toward forcing the protagonist into a relationship with the first girl he meets (incidentally: I like a grand total of NONE of them). 3 had a bit of a twist on the formula, though, in that the canonical love interest is arguably NOT the first girl the protagonist meets (though she IS the first introduced); more on that later. You'd think the creators would've gotten the hint dropped by the fact that, to the best of my knowledge, the canonical heroine has NEVER been chosen in ANY of the adaptations. If 4 hadn't finally bucked the trend we'd probably have more Clorica-centered cutscenes (and maybe some Vishnal-focused ones for those of you who play girls). I don't know about the side-games, though, but I'd expect them to have canonical love interests that I can't stand, too.

Anyway, CptWedgie's exploit of the update: While you can normally only fight each boss once per day, if you cast Return after you get the rewards but before the barrier on the entrance dissipates (a very brief window, admittedly- you should probably time it around the end of the "light flies away" animation; it takes a bit of practice) you can fight them twice (or more!) in one day, for significantly larger supplies of boss drops. Yes, you'd better believe I exploit the hell out of that, especially when I get strong enough to curb-stomp the boss I'm farming.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I have a strong desire to facepalm so hard I wind up touching the BACK of my skull...

There is a REASON it's a bad idea to use a fireplace (or furnace, in this case) when the chimney's clogged: You're liable to smother yourself because the smoke doesn't have anywhere to go except into the house! And if anyone brings up air pressure: If the air pressure gets high enough to dislodge a bell, it's probably enough to either cause serious damage to anyone nearby (such as the poor sap stoking the fire), or prevent starting a fire in the first place.

No matter how you look at it, there's no way in hell that ridiculous plan would actually work outside of a video game or cartoon.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The number of crops you get per harvest is actually its own stat, which gradually increases as you farm. See those lines in your field? Those indicate different "sections" which each have their own levels (I'd go into more detail, but it's kind of over my head, and probably too verbose to post here anyway. There's a guide on the topic on GameFAQs for those of you who want to know more).

The thing Brent was holding at about 3:20 of the video was... some status-healing item. I think it was a Para-Gone? And for those of you wondering, yes, 3/4 of the purpose-made status-healing items in this game are about that self-explanatory (certain foods can cure various status problems too, but that's not their primary use).

Personally, that whole thing with Eliza just makes me facepalm... :doh: I mean, it's not like making the request box a character actually adds anything to the game, right?

I'm quite fond of Forte's reaction to chocolate cake. You are planning on showing the "favorite gift" reactions at some point, right?

Probably the best bet for winning a Year 1 Cooking Contest is Bamboo Rice (whose recipe should be pretty obvious- hope you kept some of that bamboo from clearing your fields over the first week!); it strikes the best balance between difficulty (which improves your score in the judging) and ingredient availability in the early game, I think (Toast would hold this position if you could possibly get an oven and about 20 Cooking skill before the festival ends). Also of note: All festivals are save-scummable, with the townsfolk's results only being determined when you go to the rankings; so long as you meet a minimum requirement, the only limiting factor on how often you win is how stubborn you are.

Scrap Metal is, in itself, pretty much useless, actually. The item you're thinking of with ONE use is Scrap Metal+ (note the plus), which is an entirely different item that makes weapons it's used to upgrade do exactly 1 damage, no matter what. It's useful for farming Mineral Squeaks, which, when struck, drop items that can be forged into equipment to multiply the effects of the last item used to strengthen it by either 3 or 9, depending on the precise variant dropped (1 for the original item, plus 2 for Double Steel or 8 for Ten-Fold Steel). Each only works once on a given piece of equipment, though, so you should use it on something good!

In closing: I got a mention in someone else's LP! :toot: (That said, I don't think I can actually call myself a proper LPer, since I've only done two challenge runs of Final Fantasy 5 in a megathread... I'd kind of like to fix that somehow, but LPs seem like more of an investment in time and attention than I'm capable of right now.)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, so, more pet stuff now (since that seemed to be the focus of this update).

As you might expect, two more of my "recruit 4 of them" monsters are the Cluckadoodle and the Buffamoo. Getting lots of eggs and milk is VITAL for cooking, especially some of the later recipes (for example, both are used in cakes). Incidentally, Cluckadoodles, Woolies, and Buffamoos all give bigger items depending on their levels, and the item level depends on how much they like you; the latter applies to everything you can get items from.

Regarding the monster barns (and their capacity): You can have up to 200 slots available for taming monsters, which is more than enough to tame literally every monster in the game, including some I refuse to talk about even under spoiler tags. I vote that you do so, especially the ones I won't talk about. Unfortunately, I'm not good at naming stuff, so I can't weigh in on the naming thing.

One thing I like to do with mushrooms: Status resistances are actual skills in this game; they're trained when you're inflicted with the status problem in question, so I tend to eat all the mushrooms myself to immunize myself to poison, sleep, paralysis, and seal. They can also be trained by inflicting those conditions on enemies, but that requires specific weapon upgrades, which Thorn can't do yet.

That empty room with the giant mushroom in the center... I think a giant version of those mushroom monsters might spawn there; I don't remember, though- I'm WAY further than this, so I don't really hang around the early areas very much.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fire is asexual after all.

I think "contagious" is more appropriate.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, now that Thorn's spilled the beans about boss recruitment, I'll say what monsters I use for combat: Two copies of Ambrosia. It amuses me how thoroughly they tend to destroy everything. I also keep a Thunderbolt as a backup for a later dungeon, for reasons which will become clear when Thorn gets there; since monsters level up even if they aren't with you (albeit more slowly than they do when they're actively participating) I don't even need to take it out for training. Of course, since the monster capacity is so generous I'm planning to recruit EVERYTHING. Yes, chipsqueaks too. And every boss in the game. And, and, and... Basically, assume that if a monster exists then I'm going to recruit it at some point. Kinda like Pokemon.

Anyway, I remember that event. It was thoroughly annoying, due to the "back to sender" nature of it. That said, town events give Prince(ss) Points upon completion, some give items (as demonstrated by Porco), and quite a few of them are marriage requirements for various romantic interests; generally, assume that if a romantic interest is a central figure in an event (not just involved, but a main character; for example, in this one Porco's the main character, while everyone you meet on your grand tour is just involved), then you need to complete that event to marry them. Also, Act 3 requires a town event of its own before you can actually start it. Unfortunately, some require more than one day to complete; the one Thorn demonstrated is a pretty good introduction to the "town event" system, since the objective is simple (to the point of being something you're gonna do anyway) and there are no delays required, and thus it's quite simple to complete it in the same day you get it.

For the record: That compatibility thing is actually completely random; even if you do it twice consecutively, it'll give different results (I think I got something really low, then immediately talked to the fortune teller again and got like a 96 with the same person). I don't think it actually serves any purpose other than flavor text, but... well, in a series like this, that's more than enough justification I say.

And yes, when there's a festival the next day the townspeople will NOT SHUT UP ABOUT IT! It's not quite as aggravating to me as my all-caps made it out to be since I tend to just skip through their dialogue anyway, but still.

Oh, and I've got an exploit for you: Sometimes Arthur will sell Rocks or Branches; these are the same as the ones you find lying around, right down to breaking them for Material Stone and Lumber. The exploit is that both Rocks and Branches can be bought for less than the materials you make out of them sell for, so you can fill up your shipping bin with, say, Material Stone while simultaneously training your Mining skill, all for a very small fee, and profit off of the whole process. Yes, there is actually a way to almost literally buy money. It's a little time-consuming, though, and relies on Arthur deciding to sell Rocks or Branches. Kind of an early-game exploit, really, considering Material Stone and Lumber still don't go for all that much.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
For the record, the R-dash helps you catch beans you miss during the festival.

Dylas is, indeed, annoying. At least he gets amusing interactions with Doug. Incidentally, he's the town's resident fisherman. If you've unlocked him, say goodbye to any hope of winning future fishing contests- he tends to get ridiculously huge fish (like 110+).

"Spooky" is... a bit of an overstatement, really. I'd go into more detail, but it'd be at least somewhat spoilery. Suffice to say, this isn't exactly the "horror" genre.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Miz Kriss posted:

Is Porceline supposed to have a mustache or does he have some sort of weird muppet head?

Weird muppet head. His family tends to look... well, pretty much exactly like that, actually (there's at least one in every entry).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The sheet music primarily gives buffs, yes. Pretty sure there's one for defense, one for attack (which you got just now), and one that's basically "sic 'em." The greeting spell, I would assume, wakes townspeople up when you use it next to their beds; no idea if it makes them mad, though.

Play coins are, indeed, accumulated by walking around with your 3DS; despite the name, though, the steps toward each one (100 steps per coin, up to 10 coins per day) only count when the 3DS is closed, in my experience (probably to dissuade players from walking around while playing their games and potentially falling down stairs or something). And I'd expect whatever Arthur gives you for them to not be worth the effort.

I will never understand how you'd go about making cheese with your bare hands...

Sashimi is terrible for money relative to the price of ingredients, but it's good for HP recovery, gives a bit of RP while it's at it, and trains your cooking skill, too (the last being, in my opinion, the REAL reason to bother with it).

You remember how I said before that you arguably meet someone before the canonical wife in Rune Factory 3? That would be Raven; in that game, you spend the majority of the day you arrive unconscious due to falling out of the sky, so depending on whether Shara/Schala/however-they're-spelling-her-name-right-now found you before or after you passed out Raven might be the first person you see in town. Oh, and about her being part bird... pretty sure that she's specifically a PHOENIX; at the very least, she is very heavily associated with fire (right down to using fire magic when you bring her along). On a side note, I'm pretty sure Raven is the most popular bachelorette from her game... I think they actually held an official poll on the subject at some point, actually.

Leon Karnak is a dungeon that you're not supposed to go to for a LONG time. Like, "end of LP" long time, I think.

Oh, and an exploit that I've been putting off mentioning: The first gift given to tamed monsters per day has permanent effects on their stats, as determined by what the gift would do if used as forging material; for example, give one an Arrowhead and its Strength will increase by 1. This even extends to certain less-typical effects, with possibly the most game-breaking being STATUS ATTACKS. Yes, if you give your pet monster an Ambrosia's Thorns, their physical attacks will all gain the property of having a 10% chance to cause Sleep. Most game-breaking of all: These effects STACK with both themselves and each other, so if you give one pet 10 Ambrosia's Thorns, that pet is guaranteed to cause Sleep with every hit. Now picture that all thrown on a BOSS monster, with their much-better AI (which is preserved from when you fought them), high base stats, and better attack patterns... and you'll have an idea of how ridiculously powerful my combat pets are.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
First off: To the surprise of nobody who's read my character notes thus far, my bachelorette vote is for Forte. Now then, video stuff...

Just for the record, Illuminata's voiced line near the start of the first video of the update (when she's overreacting about the flowers) is "CURSES!" I wonder why the elves in the last couple games're so hammy (I mean, even Margaret has her moments)... Anyway, regarding the event's ending: I'll admit Illuminata overreacted to what Amber did, and I can understand that incident making people dislike her, but since I don't like Amber it doesn't have as much of an effect on me. At least I find Illuminata's day-to-day quotes entertaining (and, as has been previously mentioned, audiences tend to find an entertaining character endearing, hence my opinion that she'd make a better bachelorette than Amber).

I'm pretty sure your attempts to make shirts failed because you were using a Fur-type item when the recipe calls for either Cloth or Skin; generally speaking, you can tell if what you're putting in is an invalid recipe because it only costs 10 RP per try then.

Look on the bright side: Pico may be another annoying little kid kind of character, but at least they're not trying to sell her as a love interest; instead, she's half of a continuous "boke and tsukkomi routine" as I think it's referred to (specifically, she's the former, with Dolce as her "straight man"). Think of her as "neighbor's bratty younger sister" if it helps.

Personally, I was even more cowardly than you guys, starting with the second dungeon; I let my monsters do the fighting (I mentioned before how ridiculously powerful two copies of Ambrosia get, didn't I?). That said, my weapon of choice is the knives, too, though I make a point of practicing everything since skill levels = stats.

That giant ghost might be a pretty good pet, but you'll never convince me to bench my tamed bosses- they wreck EVERYTHING, with the possible exception of other bosses. That said, I might be convinced to trade an Ambrosia for a Marionetta...

If I had to do that Guardian thing... I'd probably wanna be some sort of golem, actually. First choice would be a dragon, but there's not much chance of that happening, right? ...You know what, split the difference: DRAGON GOLEM! Best of both worlds! This makes the "what kind of monster would you want to be?" question one for the thread, too, I realize, but I am unrepentant.

And there's something up with Doug; what it is exactly will become clear later.

Now then, my bachelorette notes' last hurrah! Dolce's pretty good (don't like her as much as Forte, though), but Pico can be insufferable at times... and unfortunately they're a package deal.

I'd like to recommend against voting for dating Dolce for this LP, since there's another LP for RF4 on these forums which is pursuing her (don't have the link, though).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Sientara posted:

Don't forget the Schrodinger's gender candidate that they have in the newest one.

Trio of Towns is not the first time they have done this; remember Jamie from Magical Melody? (I wouldn't blame you if you don't; it IS over a decade old by now, and the Gamecube apparently wasn't very popular.)

That said, I've seen some of Inari's events on Youtube, and if I wasn't determined to pursue them before (I got a copy a couple weeks ago, but am waiting for XSEED to release the DLC to play beyond the first season) then the events would've convinced me to do so. I mean, I almost felt like Skippy meeting the various "smallfriends" (as he puts it) when watching them!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Pretty sure Pico was just giggling just before you said you had no idea what she said (during Dolce's meeting speech).

Personally, I keep my Lumber/Stone Box outside; it reduces clutter a bit to keep at least a few things in your yard.

I bet Dylas didn't actually use a fishing rod to catch those fish; he just hit the water with some lightning and scooped up the dead fish afterwards :mmmhmm:. ...Actually, in all seriousness, maybe THAT'S his secret... well, either that or he's the only guy who remembers to actually use bait. I like the lightning idea better, though.

I can tell you exactly why Orcs have Glue! They use it to keep their Shoulder Pieces on. (This may, in fact, be the actual, in-universe reason they have glue.) Also, the new monster I've been considering taming 4 of is the Killer Ant; you'd be surprised how useful their farm item is for crafting.

Paralysis doesn't bother me any; I always spam the R-dash no matter what, and paralysis doesn't seem to change it any.

Hey Doug, if Venti's so evil, what the hell is she trying to accomplish? I mean, world domination's kind of out, because she kind of already rules Selphia and doesn't really do anything with it.

Also, I've thought of a suggestion for a monster name: Tame a Chipsqueek, and name it Skippy.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
You're only too late when you try to vote after the final results are announced. I mean, yeah, Forte's already winning by a landslide, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't vote; one vote for someone else could inspire more (which is as much an argument for "keep those Forte votes coming!" as it is an argument for "don't be afraid to vote for someone else!").

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Hey, someone started a Rune Factory 3 LP, and this thread's mentioned there (along with the other LP pursuing Dolce I mentioned earlier)! Just don't mention any details from the latter here, okay?

Anyway, for the latest update: 24 fish is pretty ridiculous, but somewhat believable (assuming he baited his hook and nobody else did, in which case why the hell are you even catching anything?). 208cm fish, on the other hand... what the hell is he catching, sharks?! That's bigger than he is!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I did not know that talking to Jones removes status problems.

"Never make friends" you say? How DARE you! That's practically the entire POINT of the BokuMono series and its spinoffs! (Is that even an exaggeration? I don't feel like it's an exaggeration...)

Y'know, I really don't like Doug. I mean, I can understand this "avenge my home" thing, but it's pretty obvious he's got the wrong target for it. I mean, not only does Venti explicitly state that she can't leave Selfia, but I don't think she's even moved from that one spot yet... at least, not that we've seen; she might've hypothetically done it to get the Guardians, but I'm suspecting that she had Volkanon bring them to her (possibly with the explanation that she'd heal them when they got there so they'd wake up faster). And then there's the fact that she's currently in a life-threatening situation- what kind of evil plan would involve the death of the villain (and not in a "come back stronger" way) as a vital step?! ...The more you think about it, the more you see that Doug really hasn't thought this "revenge" thing through (which just makes me dislike him even more, because being stupid is a bit of a berserk button for me).

I figure fairy dust is like butterflies, actually- a powder that comes off their wings. Of course, it'd be hard to get any significant QUANTITY of powdered insect wings without maiming one outside of a video game (even if you generally maim fairies in video games to get it as a drop), but still.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

Siouxsie's not old enough for this nonsense.

I just noticed, but... do people MEOW when you give them gifts?!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, you can't say that Xiao Pai's slip of the tongue is WRONG, really...

Eliza's too small to be made from the ENTIRE tree, not to mention RF3's protagonist (and pretty much everyone else, considering how it's apparently a plot point in that game) would object to cutting it down. More likely they just cut a branch off and carved it into a box.

Yes, I'd have to agree that normally-cute things stop being cute when they reach kaiju size.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

You have obviously not seen a REAL kaiju. I mean, you and I both know they get kaiju footage by putting a regular-sized (insert animal or actor here) in a model city; a real kaiju is, by definition, building-sized (how big of a building depends on the individual), and frankly I don't think I'm psychologically capable of finding anything big enough to squash me like a rotten grape "cute."

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah, having one field that you just leave empty for the purpose of spawning rocks and stuff is handy for collecting materials.

Amber strikes me as the kind of person who would legitimately enjoy being thrown into rivers.

...What does Lin Fa even mean by "bath etiquette" anyway? Is that a euphemism for "personal hygiene" or something?

I'm with Pubert on wondering why Rare Cans exist, but at least in Rune Factory 3 they had an obvious purpose in that they were one of the favorite gifts of one of the townspeople. Yes, she unironically likes useless stuff (and she explicitly says so, more or less). Anyway, I've heard that thing about forging with Rare Cans, too, but I don't know if it works. Frankly, I'd rather use stuff that lets me smash enemies better in order to get more opportunities for drops.

You're taming more monsters now, I see. I'd like you to call the fairy... hmmm... not Navi, I'm not that sadistic... How about Oberon? Then tame an Ambrosia and call it Tania (short for Titania, since she's apparently a giant fairy; I'd ask for Titania, but I don't think it'd fit). And of course I'll have to maintain my request for the Chipsqueek to be Skippy. You can rename monsters, I'm pretty sure, so you can still do it. ...I don't remember you having that spider, though, but that doesn't mean anything considering my memory (or lack thereof). Call it Peter; if you don't get the reference I don't know what to say. Of course, my favorite way of building friendship with tamed monsters is to give their products back to them; it's pretty efficient.

There are elves in every iteration of the Rune Factory series, to the best of my knowledge, and one of them is always a bachelorette; most of them work for Porco's family, too (can't recall their surname offhand).

Forte seems like she'd love to ride into battle on a Wooly, but she'd probably claim otherwise. At least, that's how I see it. Anyway, I've actually ridden an Ambrosia before, which is pretty close to the "riding fairies" thing. Did you hit Yami for that "off the ground" pun?

Heart Pendant is really nice, because I'm pretty sure your combat skills go up to, like, 255 or something ridiculous like that. Heck, 99 is completely overkill considering how much work you have to put into it.

I think your fairy's having trouble because it's underlevelled (but that might be a product of my Ambrosia rampage). Its spinny barrier thing is actually a spell you can learn, too.

That second status problem you got from the boss that was draining your RP? I'm pretty sure that's a cold. Yes, you can get sick in Rune Factory, too.

So! Turns out Doug is originally from the Sechs Empire or something (at least that's how I interpret his dialogue). I'm surprised he managed to find a Rune Sphere on his own, though. I mean, did it literally fall on his head or something? Because when you actually bring him along he isn't a very good fighter.

As for Skippy's "what kind of monster would you be?" question, I have already gone over this: I'd be a dragon golem (which would presumably be a golem in the shape of a dragon rather than a golem made out of dragons).

Kind-of exploit here, but more of a convenience: If you upgrade a piece of equipment with a Magnifying Glass, that equipment acquires its effects, so you won't have to switch to it all the time to check on your fields. Personally, I'd put it on the hoe or watering can, though I've read about someone who put it on a spare helmet.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

This isn't an exploit - it's an intended game mechanic that random NPC dialogue can clue you in on.

Which is why I only labelled it as a kind-of exploit rather than a full-on exploit like my previous stuff such as the "attack your bed to train your weapons" thing, which is undeniably an exploit.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
For some reason I get the feeling that the protagonist of Trio of Towns is related to Eda.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Illuminata? While there may or may not be a Forest of Ends, that's not where Pubert wants to go so it's irrelevant.

The Double Bed is, indeed, necessary for marriage; I don't particularly consider this a spoiler because it's always been that way.

Barrett shows up with proof that this takes place after Rune Factory 2 ends. Not that there was much doubt, considering this is a sequel, but it's nice to know that the events in that game have definitely taken place. What makes Pubert so sure that Leon was the first, though? I don't remember anyone mentioning that before, so for all we know it could've been Dolce.

You'd be surprised how fast you can fill up 60 slots. I mean, an ongoing issue for me is finding enough room to store stuff.

I don't think the game will allow you to bring anyone with you to the Forest of Beginnings; I also remember there being one other battle it forces you to solo, though I will not go into further detail yet. No, it doesn't even let you bring tamed monsters. I'm pretty sure I tried. That said, I might be misremembering- it HAS been a while since I've been there.

I checked, and no, it will not allow you to ride a Mamadoodle no matter what. Not sure why; it's certainly big enough.

As for your question at the end (before things went crazy again), regarding what we'd like to ride into battle: You know what, let's go crazy. I'd want to ride a Mamadoodle which is, in turn, riding a Wooly.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ousire posted:

Can you ride the tree boss?

It's pretty safe to assume that you can ride ALL the bosses in Rune Factory 4 (disclaimer: some bosses can not be tamed); in fact, from what I've read online there's only one boss fight where you can tame them but CAN'T ride them. Note that I am not counting Mamadoodles as bosses, since they respawn.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
"Buy things or I'll beat Amber with a cane?" That seems like a reason to NOT buy anything, to me.

Kiel is weird. I mean, no real kid says stuff like that! (Or is that just the "kids hate vegetables" stereotype talking?)

My guess on why monsters like Mamadoodles can't be ridden is that they're literally giant versions of OTHER monsters you can't ride, and the devs took a shortcut by copying most of the data for them; I mean, for Mamadoodles, I'm pretty sure the stats, aggressiveness, and scale are increased, but beyond that they're basically Cluckadoodles.

Presumably, monsters you fight in the Forest of Beginnings just show back up somewhere else later.

Yami, have you been playing Recettear? Not that I'd blame you if you have- I mean, I like it; just asking, that's all. Anyway, the skill level you gained while unlocking your shop was Leadership; you train it both by having lackeys while you're dungeon crawling and by bossing the town around (though I've seen claims that festivals help, too).

Being a shopkeeper is pretty boring, considering how it's literally just standing there waiting for someone to come to you. And to no one's surprise, it's a skill of its own; this game has a skill for pretty much anything you can do.

I don't think I've ever done that Play Coin thing Arthur offers; I guess I make too much money through exploits for it to matter (don't remember how many Ambrosia's Thorns I've sold at once, but they make pretty good money early on, especially when you use exploits to get them in bulk). Well, that and the fact that the only things I buy EVER are the seeds I need at that moment (with most of that being done by my pets because I'm lazy). Point is, I'm not exactly having financial problems.

Amber may be easy to befriend, but I find Forte is easier, since going adventuring with a townsperson seems to give points toward that; I'm pretty sure I've started dating her before any of the other townspeople would even accept invitations to my party. This might just be the fact that I rarely, if ever, have gifts to give them, though; relationship building through pure talking is SLOW. And I'd say hating Amber isn't a "gimmick," it's a perfectly logical reaction to her sheer terrible-ness.

Careful with the soil additives; they decrease field health. Anyway, each 2x2 patch of soil actually has an innate resistance to typhoons which increases by leveling (which, in turn, is rather counter-intuitively done by farming it extensively). Also: It's too bad greenhouses aren't a thing in Rune Factory; the closest it comes is RF3's Sharance Tree, and the fields there are still vulnerable to weather (despite the giant tree directly overhead... how does that work?), unless the seasonal dungeons count.

"Marry a Wooly" is something Raven, at least, would probably take completely seriously, possibly even to the point of actually going through with it. And to be fair: Thorn isn't alone in giving characters problematic names; I have been known to call characters things like Sir Plusse, Moe and Ron (both in the same game), and possibly my crowning awkward name: Xqpjvdxb, which I'm pretty sure is literally impossible to pronounce properly due to the complete lack of vowels.

Personally, I kinda cheat on these festivals; I use a guide to look up the right answers. Anyway, the "right answer subtracts votes" thing isn't so much a bug as it is the devs not foreseeing you actually submitting a Turnip to one of these festivals; one option is basically "call it a turnip no matter what it actually is" (which is, obviously, USUALLY not the right answer, hence Blossom's response). And I wonder why saying comparing crops isn't the issue is even an option, considering how that's literally what this festival is FOR (aside from conning votes out of people). Also: Dammit Doug, go away already, nobody likes you here! To close out the Harvest Festival stuff with the aftermath (and you eating your prizes): I don't think it's a spoiler to say that there is a Knife recipe for just about EVERY FISH IN THE GAME. And yes, you have to learn them all individually.

I hate fighting with axes; that's why I use one of the exploits I mentioned earlier to train them (or just fight with a lumber axe; that counts, too). Anyway, the reason equipment you obtain from festivals tends to have weird stats is that they tend to come pre-upgraded or with additional ingredients, which also adds the extra items' upgrade bonus to the resulting item; this usually comes in the form of Weeds, Scrap Metal, and the like, which explains why they tend to have reduced effectiveness compared to homemade items.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 6, 2017

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

Recording more of RF4 has left me completely out of it. gently caress Sharance Maze and Rune Prana when you're not also level 300. As such the thread will likely have another short hiatus after this week so I can build up a backlog for all the LPs again.

Would've put my comments in on this update earlier if A: I wasn't having trouble sitting still (especially for an hour-long video), and B: my computer would cooperate. Anyway...

I feel like Illuminata's logic is flawed... Why would a criminal return to the scene of their crime if that'd just make them look suspicious? Plus there's her own breaking and entering... Frankly, I think she earned that whack from Forte.

I have no idea how trees work in RF4; for all I know they could take over the entire 2x2 areas they're planted in. That said, Growth Speed is a possibility; I have no idea what else you've grown around there.

I try not to get colds in the first place, so I don't find items that cure them very useful. Of course, I also have a habit of stuffing random mushrooms down my character's throat (felt I should make the distinction so it's obvious that I am NOT that stupid in real life) in the name of immunization, so they probably aren't as useless as I'm making them out to be. Gotta say, though, the "unify cooking utensils" order is at LEAST as useful as it sounds, as is Toast.

You would be surprised how effective the joke weapons can be.

Forte is bad at keeping secrets.

As to the discussion of clover: Its primary purpose in this game is probably in crafting. At least, that's what I'd reserve it for, considering how long it takes to grow.

It really seems like the order of those "seeing the Guardians' memories" thing is in the order you met them. First is presumably Amber, because there's a reference to flying and she's the only one with wings. Second is probably Dylas because of the reference to fishing. Third is obviously Dolce because Pico butts in on it. As to that bit after Leon's memory, I'm actually starting to think that might actually be YOUR memory of another Earthmate talking to you (let's say whichever protagonist gender you AREN'T playing).

Sarcophagus is a nasty surprise for people like me who let their pets do the fighting for them, since, as I previously mentioned, I'm pretty sure the game doesn't let you bring pets with you to that dungeon. Between that and the fact that it's a massive step up from the bosses thus far, I barely managed to win when I fought it.

I think trying to chase Leon would work better if your feet were touching the floor, Pubert...

Anyway, as you noticed, the Elefun event doesn't actually unlock the ability to marry Forte. It IS a prerequisite for the event that DOES, though. You'll know it when you get it, I think.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Speaking of SoS, I'm pretty excited for the DLC coming up for Trio of Towns even if it isn't free. And since they've actually got screenshots posted, I feel optimistic that it might be released relatively soon, though I'm still not expecting anything sooner than July considering the sheer volume of text they need to translate.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what a translation of additional content for a game entails; however, between ensuring that the patching is actually compatible with the primary localized product (admittedly, this is probably the easiest part of the process), the actual translation (which is apparently more text than some standalone games they've translated), and quality control... it's still gonna take some time, I'm sure (hence why I doubt a June release). Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they can't release it before August or September, though I'm obviously hoping it happens sooner than that.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Buddy Battle is pretty easy when you play like me, for reasons which will likely become obvious when it's shown (I am, of course, assuming Thorn's at least planning to show all the festivals).

You aren't the only one who keeps all the cooking stuff in that side room after the "unify cooking tools" thing; I do it too. Of course, I used to use it as a general-purpose crafting room like the top floor of the house in Rune Factory 3 until I got impatient and brought a cooking tool, my forge, my accessory thingy, and my pharmacy into the bedroom.

Major Armstrong isn't a JoJo, but he'd probably fit right in.

Increasing attack range sounds like it can be really handy on something like the twin blades (believe it or not, I haven't tried it yet). I have heard that there's a crash of some kind related to excessive range, though. Apparently it involves using 10-Fold Steel on something that increases your range while it has a lot of status attacks?

Pretty sure when you invite a townsperson into your party they keep wearing whatever they had on at the time. For those hormonal teens out there, yes, this means you can run around with your favorite marriage candidates in their swimwear depending on when and where you recruited them. Of course, later you get to change clothes yourself, and when you do any party members who have the same costume as what you changed into will put theirs on, too. So for those of you who consider a massive brawl to be a good attraction at a wedding, yes, you and your spouse can go fight monsters in your wedding clothes.

Most townspeople have at least one edible item as a favorite gift, yes. Of course, they tend to be pretty complicated recipes. There are a few oddities in the gift lists, though. For example, while it makes sense considering his personality, it's kind of unusual that Bado likes Scrap Metal and dislikes literally every USEFUL metal.

Amber is disturbing, as is whoever called her "juicy." And Illuminata, if that isn't who "Ellie" is (I still like her better than Amber, though that's easy to accomplish when being compared to a negative number).

I'm sure we can all agree that Illuminata ruins that event between Forte and Kiel; even if I can tolerate her in other circumstances, in this one she just drags things down. At least the swimsuit suits her. (You heard me, Skippy, and I'm not taking it back!)

Leon strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't really get this "nudity taboo" thing. Is that just me?

Apparently, Arthur is the kind of guy who would date Ventuswill if he was given the chance. I know I don't generally comment on the "additional dialogue" videos, but this stands out.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Forte isn't kidding about not being able to cook. In fact, she's one of only two marriage candidates who can give you stuff like Failed Dish after marriage, the other being Vishnal. Most of her successful meals are knife recipes, too, so she's right there as well.

Y'know, with how Porco acts in that scene while talking to Margaret, it's a wonder how he gets anything done. I mean, between the complaint about being hungry and spinning to amuse himself, he's acting like a little kid.

As Arthur himself confirms, he likes all glasses, including the magnifying kind. I think they included that last one because there actually aren't that many kinds of eyewear in the game.

I'm not too fond of the "running your own store" mechanic, to be honest. I guess I'm just too impatient to wait for people to come to me.

Oddly, despite Xiao Pai saying she'd be scary with an axe, that's actually what she specializes in using in combat... wait, maybe it isn't so odd; maybe she's speaking from experience.

Ah, yes, Maya Road. Home to perhaps the biggest "screw you" in the game: Those question-mark enemies aren't just immune to non-elemental damage, they ABSORB it! This means that, for those of us who rely heavily on non-elemental boss pets like Ambrosia, they become literally unkillable. I had to go out and recruit Thunderbolt to get through that dungeon!

I think every glasses-wearer has lost the glasses they were wearing at some point.

Doug vs. a bird! Now taking bets! 50:1 odds in the bird's favor! (Yes, I'm convinced that Doug would lose to some random bird in a fight.)

Gotta agree with the naming for that troll; he really strikes me as a Fester.

Giant crops have one other use, which Thorn didn't go into detail on. No, I'm not going to explain; shame on you for expecting me to give you all the answers!

Gotta say, Barrett gave surprisingly good romantic advice at the start of the dialogue video, though it amounts to "don't be a tsundere."

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I've checked, and you cannot recruit the ??? monsters. Understandable, considering how broken "absorb non-elemental attacks" would be, but it still sucks.

I told you you could get that "barrier of light" spell the fairies use for yourself!

...What does armor have to do with the Turnip Festival?

I hate those avalanche screens...

Doug: "How did I manage to get dead last? Some of those monsters who joined in didn't even have opposable thumbs!" (Yes, I like to pick on Doug. This is partly derived from his role in the story and partly from how much he sucks as an ally.)

...wait, is Forte afraid of the dark or something? Also: "Brave Sir Robin ran away! Bravely ran away, away!" (/MontyPython)

Raven and Barrett frequently call back to their respective games, as you may have noticed. (Actually, this may have been commented on before; I don't remember, and there's too much to look through for me to check.)

...Yeah, I don't have much to say this time, relatively speaking.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Teeth, at least, can be excused as being like a shark in that the monsters you get them from regularly shed and regrow them; getting wool from Woolies can be similarly excused, with shearing being you taking all the wool you can rather than just what comes off naturally. In fact, I feel that out of all the monsters you can recruit, only five produce items that don't really have any excuse for them to give you every day, one of them being Fairies (for reasons I'm pretty sure I went over before).

Oh, great, the return of the avalanche rooms! Who could possibly have thought that was a good idea?! Ah, well, at least it doesn't seem necessary to go there to complete the game.

Don't worry Thorn, you know that leveling a skill is more than enough reason to cast spells in this series! (Granted, casting the cheapest spell in each element would probably be a good idea, but it's been too long since I played so I don't remember their relative costs...) That said, it may just be my reliance on overpowered pets speaking here but I've never found using magic to be particularly worthwhile aside from the obvious healing spells; however, I've only ever used level 1 versions of spells, so I don't know if they get appreciably stronger at higher levels. Also, Skippy wasn't explaining what he meant very well, but I think he was trying to say that he's glad there aren't multiple spells that behave EXACTLY the same aside from damage; to be honest, though, it's kinda hard to think of fire spells other than "throw fire at things," so the lack of variety there kinda makes sense.

Light Ore's purpose, as indicated by me looking it up: You can use a weapon while MAKING weapons to transfer the stats; for example, a top-tier glove that looks like a Leather Glove. Without using Light Ore, however, you can only do this within the same class of weapons, so if you want a Leather Glove that hits like a Claymore (for example), you'll have to include Light Ore in the recipe. Also, apparently shield compatibility is also inherited this way; thus, the example Leather Glove would also give 50% Shield stats.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of Porco myself, for pretty much the same reasons you listed. It's amusing how you're given a choice of ways to refuse his random proposal, though.

I'd have to say I agree with the decision to not make any more dialogue videos, considering just how much everyone has to say in this game. Also: I know exactly what you're planning to recruit!

What do you know, Bado managed to say pretty much exactly the right thing!

...What aren't you telling us, Lin Fa?

You'd think Volkanon would react badly to you having a high Defense skill due to the fact that you train it by taking damage...

Better get used to the idea of relationships, Forte.

Illuminata is kind of a hypocrite...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

So does Porcoline hit on the female player character that hard as well?

Yes.

In fact, there are very few interactions (other than relationships with marriage candidates) that change between player genders.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The Fireflowers are, unfortunately, not the kind seen in the Mario series. Ah well, not like you have any trouble throwing fireballs around anyway.

No, RF4 is the first (and, thus far, only) Rune Factory game that allows you to tame bosses. Considering how thoroughly they tend to annihilate enemies when you do so, I don't blame them for not allowing you to do so before.

Marionetta might just be bad in that area because her attacks are probably Dark-element (which, logically, would be pretty close to useless in a haunted house). I could be mistaken, though.

It's not a real Mountain Axe unless you make it out of real mountains. :colbert:

Actually, I think people liking Cooking Bread (which, incidentally, includes all forms of recipe bread, not just Cooking) would indicate they DISLIKE learning- otherwise why would they take a shortcut?

...That event's pretty stupid. I mean, how did the rumors get so ridiculous?! You'd think at least ONE person would have the sense to realize "wait, this doesn't sound legit."

I like Ambrosia as a pet because those waves heal her while simultaneously UTTERLY DESTROYING any enemies in the vicinity. She is, obviously, a lot better if you level her up first. Also: I tend to make a point of taming one (or two, if I can manage it) extremely quickly (as in, before the end of the second week). At the very least, bringing two copies of her (appropriately leveled, of course) utterly stomps the Buddy Battle.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

Marionetta is amazing if you ride it and then spam the card shotgun attack (X button?). The big problem with it is that you can't leave it to its own devices or it'll trap enemies in a box and they can't die until the animation ends.

I never said she couldn't be good; I just said Marionetta was probably terrible IN A HAUNTED HOUSE due to elemental properties.

That said, in hindsight it's entirely possible she just sucks because she's underleveled.

And of course, that box thing seems to imply to me that Ambrosia makes a better pet, since she doesn't have any grab-type moves (though really, I feel like Marionetta's the only monster in the game that does). Ambrosia does have a habit of juggling corpses for extended periods, though, so on second thought I guess it evens out.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Pubert is the very image of professionalism... or maybe not? I mean, he's opening his personal store in his swimwear...

The Buddy Battle gets kind of wrecked when you show up with a team of boss monsters; even the last match is pretty much a non-issue when they spend the entire fight asleep. As to where Lin Fa gets her monsters... well, some questions are probably better left unanswered.

And the "dramatic reveal" of Doug's spy-ness. Meh. He wasn't a very good spy, as mentioned by Thorn.

...Not much to say about this one, to be honest.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
You know, when Toby and Renee were fishing I was half expecting them to get their lines and/or hooks tangled together. Like, "Oh, I caught something! Wait, it's just your hook."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Maybe those soldiers think the place is bad because of allergies?

I'm surprised Dylas has that "DOUG!" voiced line; I've never run into it.

The true strength of tamed bosses, I believe, is that they are pretty much universally SMARTER than anything else you can tame (and some villagers, too), and their attacks tend to be far more effective as well. If you can get them a statistical advantage on top of that...

We meet (what probably should be) the first monster that actually offers to join you rather than needing to tame it! And yes, it's a pretty good one, I'd say.

...yeah, I got a whole lot of not very much to say to this one.

• Locked thread