Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Seeing as how this thread isn't too active I'm gonna bump it with a simple question. I've been meaning to watch Gintama with years, and have finally begun watching it the last week and am currently up to episode 25 (so long, first OP, you were fantastic) and recall asking whether it was good here about 3 or 4 years ago and being linked to a clip on YouTube that I'm interested in watching again. I'll come across the scene in question sooner or later given I'm watching (and enjoying) it in order, but I'm just wondering if someone can identify it now off hand. The only thing I can remember is quite generic, but it's of Gintama and one or two of the others running down a corridor as several traps go off, including, I think, a spiked object of some kind rolling after them. I thought it might be in either the episode with the ghost (actually an Amanto) inside the Shinsengumi HQ or maybe in the home of the Amanto that Sachan was pretending was her father to fool Gintama when watching those episodes, but they didn't have anything similar to what I remember.

Regardless, I'm loving what I've seen so far and curious how much better it'll get soon given that the OP indicates the show evens out and becomes more enjoyable overall after episode 30 given I'm already really enjoying what I'm seeing. The Death Note episode I watched last night, with the cast celebrating renewal around a hot pot and spending the opening 2 minutes doing voice overs to a still shot of the outside of their house before finishing with Kagura complaining that pork is probably nicer than beef after eating the whole dish was fantastic. I'm not even a fan of Death Note, but everyone competing to be the Nabe Shogun was great. As is Elizabeth just coming back as if she's always been just a pet despite being revealed to probably (or at least, initially) be an old man in an outfit only a few episodes prior. And the new (to me) ED of Elizabeth dancing in the rain.

One other question I suppose. Gintama is primarily a comedy show, but I got the feeling from mentions over the years it has some action/shoneny bits, with more serious arcs or fights that go on a few episodes and I'm just curious if their action is as good as the show's comedy and when the first such fight happens since I wouldn't mind seeing Gin and Kagura fight semi-seriously now that they've been established.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Strange Quark posted:

It sounds like 85, which is the second half of a two-parter.

That was it, thanks.

eonwe posted:

And yes - there is definitely some shonen. There is also a some shonen parody in there too.

So when's the first action-y arc then? I'm loving the comedy, but a bit of action to look forward to will be nice as well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Cool. It'll probably take me a week or two to get to it since Netflix just uploaded the second season of Dirk Gently and I have some other stuff to do but it's something a little different from the comedy of normal Gintama to look forward to.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, I'll be watching it all in order for however long that takes so I'll get to both at some point. Thanks for the advice though you big D.O.R.K. Also, it pleases me looking through Crunchyroll listings for the latest episode and noticing the screen caps have pictures of several characters that seem pretty minor and would be easy to leave behind now but obviously haven't been, like Hasegawa. I do wonder how he'll have changed (or if he has) over 300 more episodes, but that's part of the fun. And makes me wonder if even more minor characters like Yamazaki and the weird alien who loves animals that really shouldn't be pets will still be around then.