Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Well, I had fun making it anyway. I hope some of the rest of you enjoyed a return to my April Fools' tradition, and if not, it was only an extra day to wait. Here's the real video with the B'alam boss fight and the item collection roundup, plus our first use of the Room of Transport.

Part 11: B'alam, the Dark Prime Minister Polsy Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Today, we set out into the third region of the game, the desert. Here, we'll find a few tougher types of enemies, new mechanics, and ultimately, another new power. We'll also learn a bit more about the Majin and the Kingdom's past.

Part 12: Jump on my Back Polsy Youtube

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Maybe the Majin is unaffected by the darkness he swallows due to something in his nature? Or heck, maybe he just has a cast-iron stomach. :3:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

LucyWanabe posted:

Maybe the Majin is unaffected by the darkness he swallows due to something in his nature? Or heck, maybe he just has a cast-iron stomach. :3:

I imagine that'll end up being a plot point, but I'm surprised they didn't give us a hint or a teaser or something.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

So, was that a Usain Bolt celebration they slipped in there? That was what came to mind but I guess it could have just been a classic bit of air fist.

Also I like to imagine that in an alternate universe the April Fools video was story time with Nidoking as he read The Gruffalo to us. What we got was pretty funny though, it'd be good to see a full LP of Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom HD in the future. :)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fwoderwick posted:

So, was that a Usain Bolt celebration they slipped in there? That was what came to mind but I guess it could have just been a classic bit of air fist.

The celebrations put me in mind of Jak & Daxter more than anything else. It wouldn't be impossible for some of them to be specific references to other media, but I don't expect that's what they were going for. This isn't really a humorous game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I tend to move slowly in new areas because there are huge rooms with lots of stuff to find, but there is progress in this video eventually. Just give it time. We're still bulking up and preparing for the tough battles to come. We'll even get a glimpse of the lair of the next boss, although it's going to be a while before we get to fight him.

Part 13: Royal Darkness Navy Headquarters Polsy Youtube

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
The lightning powers are pretty drat cool-looking. Also that ship is nice and intimidating.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I pick up the pace in this video a bit and complete the entire volcanic area. Admittedly, there's only one scarecrow left, but we'll be ready to infiltrate the Chibirias once we've broken it. Also it occurs to me that I should have called the last video "Navy of Darkness" and I'm sad that I didn't think of it sooner.

Part 14: Water That Burns Polsy Youtube

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
And now we know where the name Tepeu comes from. I wonder why the Majin would give our protagonist that name.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Nuramor posted:

And now we know where the name Tepeu comes from. I wonder why the Majin would give our protagonist that name.

I could have sworn this was explained already. Spoilers in case it hasn't.

The First King, named Tepeu, could talk to Animals, and talked to the Majin, giving him his name. So when this human comes around, who can also talk to Animals, talks to the Majin, the Majin pays the whole name-giving forward, and names the human Tepeu.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

berryjon posted:

I could have sworn this was explained already. Spoilers in case it hasn't.

It's coming up in two more videos. I'm sorry I'm not posting three a day, but there's lack of patience and then there's this sort of thing.

Thanks for keeping it the spoiler tags, at least.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 2, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Nidoking posted:

Thanks for keeping it the spoiler tags, at least.

I double-checked your spoiler policy before posting. And as I said, I could have sworn this was talked about already, but if you say it's coming up in a couple videos, I shall be patient to refresh my memory.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's entirely possible that all of the pieces have been stated or heavily implied by this point, but I just did the commentary for the cutscene where it's all spelled out. I just get a bit annoyed in general at the usual "Oh, this tiny detail popped up on the screen for a second, I bet nobody noticed it, but how could it possibly relate to this other detail that I certainly don't know from some other playthrough, could this perhaps be foreshadowing, nudge nudge wink wink" that goes on in situations like this.

To put things back in a lighter vein, I recorded the fourth Dark General fight this weekend and chose to embark on a run of the DLC missions afterward. I'm bad at them. Aside from wearing a helmet that I haven't gotten in the game just yet, I don't think there's anything in the first set that we haven't seen, so I'm thinking I might try to edit that footage into something and post it soon, maybe after the third boss fight, just so there aren't a bunch of videos in a row of nothing but DLC. I'll probably have an informal poll at that point to judge interest in seeing more of it, particularly since I'm still trying to figure out how to complete a couple of the missions, and there are no online guides that I can find that cover it. Maybe someone here will spot something that I didn't.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I remember being interested in this game when it first came out, but then for whatever reason I never played it. Nice to see you doing an LP of it, Nidoking.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Today, we board the Chibirias and gain the power of fire. Combat-wise, there's not much difference between fire and lightning, aside from how they interact with Tepeu himself. But fire power will open new paths and let us get some new upgrades. The third Dark General is right around the corner as well, but let's not try to do too much in one video.

Part 15: The Majin is on Fire Polsy Youtube

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I really dig the look and atmosphere of the Chibirias.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At last, it's time to take on the third Dark General. This one's tricky, because there's no way to recover magic power during the fight unless you manage to expose his weak point, which is much easier if you already have enough magic. Fortunately, unlike Wind and Lightning, we've found substitutes for Fire that don't require magic to use. It still takes me quite a while to figure out how to use the tools at my disposal effectively. We'll also get to see more of the Majin's memories, of course.

Part 16: Tlaloc, the Dark Admiral Polsy Youtube

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Bit of a few sad notes near the end there, but at least the Majin found a friend. Although I can't see how anyone could hate the Majin enough to throw rocks at him. He's so adorable and friendly! :glomp:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Unfortunately, only the old Tepeu and the current one can understand Teotl so everyone else just assumes that he's a monster.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 4, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

People are really good at hating things they don't understand, or don't want to try to understand. There are a lot of complex reasons and motivations behind it, but ultimately, I think it always comes back to greed in some form or fashion. Some people are just more obvious about it than others. In this video, we move into a new area and get some backstory about the characters we've yet to meet, which will help to tie the story we've heard so far with the revelations that will be coming later.

Part 17: Humans love sparkles Polsy Youtube

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, I literally forgot everything about this area. I didn't even recall that there were mines in the game.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Oooo, the mines make for a very pretty area. It's dark, but the purple lighting makes it a more ethereal kind of dark rather than sinister.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're still trying to open the next door, so there's not much adventure going on right now, but there are puzzles to solve, lots of enemies to fight, and most importantly, new moves to learn.

Part 18: The Majin is Having Fun Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We've been steadily gaining power over the past few episodes, but now it's time for the Majin to really shine. Or perhaps "sparkle" would be a better word. His final power is the most devastating, so it's quite a relief that he only hits enemies with it. But there's a bit more story behind this power than some of the others we've seen.

Part 19: The Majin Makes Things Sparkle Polsy Youtube

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nice to see this back, I'm looking forward to your views on the upcoming events. :) I really liked this game when I played it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I haven't gone anywhere - things have just been a bit slow behind the scenes because I don't have a lot of free time, and I'm currently editing videos of the DLC missions down to something I can potentially comment over. This was the point at which I took a fairly long break from recording the game, so I came back to do part 20 having forgotten most of the controls, which will make the next video just a bit awkward.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
"So we just got the big guy to deal with-” *Teotl punches enemy dead* "And he's dealt with."

My favorite moment of the video, that was hilarious.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Like I said a bit earlier, I recorded up to part 19 a long time ago, then returned to the game after a long break to do this part and the DLC. Naturally, I'd forgotten most of the controls in the meantime, which made this a rather awkward video. But that's okay, because I was just as awkward trying to talk about what I was doing, so it all kind of balances out. On the bright side, it's the fourth boss fight! Most of the controls don't really matter here, and it's just a question of whether you can figure out the pattern before you die. It's a close one in my case.

Part 20: Ixtab, the Dark Queen Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

As always, I make an effort to pack all of the extras in right before the finale, so anyone who's anxious to see how the story ends will have several weeks of waiting. But it also means you can skip the extra parts if you don't want to see them. The next few videos will be exploring the game's DLC, which contains several unique costume items, some of which have abilities that I don't think you can get from other items of the same type. This video has the first level of each of the three challenges - Stealth, Battle, and Puzzle. The later levels of each challenge will get their own videos, so you can skip any that you don't find interesting. I've tried to edit to just the essential elements, so hopefully, none of them will be too inherently boring.

DLC Bonus 1: Easy Missions Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The DLC journey continues with a more in-depth playthrough of the remaining three levels of Stealth Challenge. There are definitely puzzle elements, in terms of figuring out the order in which to do everything, as well as the skill to pull it off in the time limit. I've got, at best, a bare minimum of each, so it should be an interesting experience.

DLC Bonus 2: Stealth Challenge Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Concluding our tour of the DLC for the moment, I take on the Puzzle Challenge, and fail to understand how the difficulty is intended to correspond to the increasing numbers. The times are pretty generous, as long as you can complete the puzzles with the resources you have. This is, as I've stated previously, a real weakness for me. But don't worry; I'll return to finish the challenges eventually, having learned from watching my embarrassing mistakes again and again while editing the videos. You can probably figure out where I went wrong yourself.

DLC Bonus 3: Puzzle Challenge Polsy Youtube

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Soul Absorption sounds like you don't need the Majin around to remove those purple ball things when you defeat enemies. But I suppose we'll find what it does in time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Behind the scenes, I've finished the game, so I thought I had all the footage I needed. Then I realized that I'd need to play through the entire game again to capture one more thing, so I've been doing that this weekend. Yesterday, I started from scratch and made it through beating Tlaloc. This is a really short game, all things considered, but there's a lot you can spend time doing if you feel like it. Case in point, most of this video is backtracking to the places I've already been to pick up the treasures I missed and the Memory Shards I couldn't get when I passed through the rooms because it was daytime, or I just didn't find them. However, there's one room I skipped because I didn't have what I needed to complete it the first time I passed, and another that I didn't even know existed until I stumbled into it. So there's plenty of fun this time around. I can't really make that promise for the next video, but at least it should go by pretty quickly.

Part 21: The Laboratory and the Bridge Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Today, much to my future regret, I finish collecting everything I missed or couldn't get while traversing the portions of the kingdom outside the castle. This obviously involves a lot of waiting, but thanks to video editing, only I needed to suffer that. There's only one thing left to do before we storm the castle.

Part 22: The Final Memory Shard Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

This is a short update, but I've got a few nagging things to wrap up before jumping into new, more difficult territory. My performance in the DLC so far has been pretty bad, but with the benefit of hindsight, I figured out where I went wrong and how to fix it. Most LPs just leave that sort of thing in the comments and post some sort of half-hearted apology, or describe what they did somewhere and leave the rest to your imagination, but I don't like to do things by halves, so here's the right way to do the parts of the DLC where I didn't before.

DLC Bonus 4: A Notable Improvement Polsy Youtube

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Have fun storming the castle!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sormus posted:

Have fun storming the castle!

Oh, I did. Probably more so the second time, when I was a bit less powerful and had some clue what I was doing, but the first run was entertaining.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's time to enter the final area of the game. We've got all of our powers, we've gained a lot of strength from fighting tough enemies, and we've got a cool wrench that tears the souls out of everything. So let's storm the castle, defeat the King of Darkness, and rescue Toci! (Note: Some of these activities may not be depicted in this video.) The challenges ahead are the most difficult, including new enemies, old enemies, tricky puzzles, and the fountains that all of these enemies have been coming from all along.

Part 23: Return to the Castle Polsy Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Before we finish the game, there's one more round of DLC that I couldn't complete earlier because we had one new type of enemy to meet. Having accomplished that, it's time to try my hand at the Combat Challenge. Contrary to the other challenges, this one becomes significantly easier as you progress through the game and gradually become stronger compared to the enemies. Since the last level isn't even available until the very end, however, the difficulty is pretty high to start with. I even considered going back and grinding before attempting to finish the challenge. How much of that did I really need to do? I'll let the picture speak for itself.

DLC Bonus 5: Too Many Monkeys Polsy Youtube

• Locked thread