Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

I've been told the Texans have the fewest offensive touchdowns of any playoff team ever (24)

lmfao

That seems right because Brock is Real Bad, but seeing it in text is just kind of mind boggling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

the bengals will be ok but i don't like that the ravens are competent again.

They very clearly are not, imho. Their offense was Garbo all year long, I don't think it's going to magically get better overnight

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

thrilla in vanilla posted:

They very clearly are not, imho. Their offense was Garbo all year long, I don't think it's going to magically get better overnight

ravens are in the unenviable spot of being at the mercy of FA/draft to get all of RB/WR1/TE (latter must must MUST be gronk or jimmy graham if you listen to kawalimus) to have a functional offense next year. bengals should be ok at RB, I think a lot of our problems this year after Bernard got hurt was because Hill is not an every down back so defenses could key on the pass a bit more. also maybe that one white guy who styled in week 17 will be a good option in the future, and maybe if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

Eifert not going to the pro bowl is also good because he won't get hosed up for no reason

I think we'll be 10-6 next season if we stay healthy is what I'm getting at. Am I getting optimistic about the bengals? maybe I am. is that a mistake, every single year? yes

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

it's ok and, hell, good, to like your team

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Kalli posted:

PFF's top / bottom 5 grades of the year because these are always fun to chuckle at:

Linebacker

Top 5:
1. Luke Kuechly 92.9
2. Jerrell Freeman 92.7
3. Bobby Wagner 91.6
4. Sean Lee 88.6
5. Paul Posluszny 88.2

Are these grades cumulative? (i.e. did Luke Kuechly finish ahead of everyone despite missing the final 6 games?)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ozymandius1024 posted:

Are these grades cumulative? (i.e. did Luke Kuechly finish ahead of everyone despite missing the final 6 games?)

Nah, it's their dumb overall grade system. Like Gronk is on the top TE list despite playing like 6 full games.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Kalli posted:

Nah, it's their dumb overall grade system. Like Gronk is on the top TE list despite playing like 6 full games.

Yeah, that's pretty dumb (even though Gronk and Luke probably actually are the best :haw: )

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 3, 2017

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

it's ok and, hell, good, to like your team

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Intruder posted:

I've been told the Texans have the fewest offensive touchdowns of any playoff team ever (24)

lmfao

David Johnson has 20 touchdowns by himself.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

Chargers players were told today that regardless of the relocation, offseason workouts will be in San Diego

why are you still rooting for this piece of poo poo organization

I can't wait until they move and demolish The Q and build a SDSU extension and a smaller college/MLS stadium.

San Diego will be better for it by an almost infinite degree.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

big money big clit posted:

I think the proper word is "had"

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Hill sucked before gio got hurt tho. I mean neither of them were doing well this year regardless but gio is at least good for something when he isn't gaining much yardage running the ball. I don't think we should cut Hill but he shouldn't be starting by any means.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

NattyBo posted:

2 game winning streak vs Baltimore :smug:

It'll be 3 in four years. And you'll have the edge all time at that point. Ugh. It should be 5-1 to us. But both those losses were too important to want back.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

It'll be 3 in four years.
Remember this whenever anyone says you're fatalistic.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We replaced the best strong safety in the league with PFFs worst graded SS.

And yet again Miami has the two lowest rates guards

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I refuse to believe that Cam Erving isn't a bottom 5 center. There's no goddamn way there's someone in this league worse at it. Also laffo the front office said they consider Nassib a corner stone of the defense. Need to revamp the analytics department.

edit: also Christian Kirksey is better than Jamie Collins. Collins' habit of blowing TE coverages doesn't deserve the money he wants.

you'remaking the mistake of thinking what pff has to say means anything at all

though erving is without a doubt the worst olineman i have ever seen play

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

big money big clit posted:

The Cardinals should be gunning for Romo because God drat could that offense be scary with Johnson drawing pressure.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

a patagonian cavy posted:

ravens are in the unenviable spot of being at the mercy of FA/draft to get all of RB/WR1/TE (latter must must MUST be gronk or jimmy graham if you listen to kawalimus) to have a functional offense next year.

Ravens don't really need a RB or TE that desperately

Edit: VVV lmao

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 3, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

We need another Sharpe on offense though, now that Steve Smith is gone. It can be a TE or a WR, or maybe even a RB if he's like Marshall Faulk.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers finished up what might be the most disappointing season in nfl history, and i can't even say for certain because even THAT was taken from them by the Broncos.

Defense

I really don't blame Gettleman for letting Josh walk. Tagging him and trading him would be nice, but at the end of the day the play of the secondary didn't hinge on him. They started the season knowing they'd need to tread water for a while with the corners, and hopefully the rest of the defense would make up for it while the rookies adjusted. Two main things went wrong here.

The first is that the three main players they needed to step up and play never did. Kony Ealy decided one good game in the super bowl was enough and moonwalked through the whole season. Tre Boston was horrific, and Bene Benwikere was unable to come back from a broken leg, getting cut by two different teams during the season. The Panthers couldn't create pash rush with their down lineman, and they couldn't blitz because they needed the help with the linebackers. And oh yeah; they had no coverage deep.

Then, to make matters, worse, the entire secondary was shuffled week to week. Injuries were the main culprit here, and it's just the way the game goes. In Julio's famous 4,000 yard game, Bradberry went down on the second play of the game with turf toe that would plague him for a month. Players moved in and out of the lineup, were cut, were brought in off the street, chosen from random lottery. It was no situation for a team to excel, let alone let rookies learn how to play the game. In the first month and a half, the Panthers found themselves in constant holes they were digging themselves out of.

By the end of the season things had stabilized, but then Kuechly went down and that was that. Mario Addison (who?) established himself as the teams best past rusher, and Worley and Bradberry became a solid starting pair of corners. The team was second in the league in sacks and interceptions (which says a lot about how much any of those are worth, since they finished with the worst pass coverage.)

There's a lot to be optimistic about next season.

The big question is Josh Norman. Would he have helped earlier in the year? I think early on, teams would have avoided him and allowed the Panthers to cheat their coverages a little bit. I think that's really the main benefit he brought to the team last year. As the rookies developed, I think what he would help bring to the team would diminish more and more. All told, I think he would have helped, just not enough to justify what he wanted. And at the end of the day, he was going to do nothing to stop the injuries, or Tre Boston, or Bene not being able to play anymore, etc.

That book isn't written yet, and will depend a lot on what the Panthers do with their cap space in free agency.

In closing, Bradberry finished higher by PFF than Norman. So he's got that going for him....which is nice.

Offense

Holy christ things fell off the rail. The Panther offense was predicated on a few things.

1. Using Cam as a battering ram runner
2. Using that (and a creative running game) to set up play action
3. Use PA to let long routes develop, hiding the fact that Cam has no intermediate passing game to speak of

Well, Denver figured out how to stop this offense last superbowl, then famously bragged after week 1 that nothing had changed in between the two games.

Teams decided that they could blitz on every single down and overwhelm the team. Normally the Panthers would counter with Cam running, defenses decided they would try to take cam out every single chance they got, and the refs let them. Cam was subjected to horrific hits, both in and out of the pocket, as refs sat back and let him take the beating of his life.

There goes Cam as the running threat. There goes part of the running game. All of a sudden that PA isn't so daunting. On top of that, the offensive line collapses, and by week 10 the Panthers would be starting different players at 4 of 5 spots than they were on opening day. Everything fell apart because everything fell apart, and the coaches were incapable of patching it up.

Cam was pretty obviously beat up for most of the year, and probably wouldn't even have played the finale if Derek Anderson was well. But Cam checked out this year big time, and has a lot of soul searching to do this offseason. Succeeding in the NFL requires constant improvement, and Cam just followed his best season with his worst. And that sun it tries to warn me, boy those wings are made of wax.

So yeah, schematic break down, injuries to the offensive line, inability of coaching staff and players to overcome them.

special teams

graham gano needs to be gone from my life.

overall

Panthers started off 1-5. 4 of those games they held leads in the 4th quarter. 3 of them were decided by a field goal or less. Six games altogether were lost by a field goal or less, including the absolutely mind numbing losses against Kansas City and two against the Bucs. But close doesn't count, and this team dug itself a hole to big too climb out of.

The whole league came at them this year and they were not ready for it. Outside of Kuechly and TD, every player and coach went about their business like they just expected the south to be handed back to them on a silver platter.

There aren't many glaring needs, and getting healthy will do wonders for this team. but the days of Cam as a battering ram are over. He just can't survive it. Whether we see the days of Cam as a complete passer are yet to be seen, but frankly I doubt it. Rivera's insistence on sticking with Shula will probably sink him. By the time new coaches roll in, Olsen and TD will be gone and Luke will be beginning the twilight.

Who even knows if Cam wants to play anymore after his comments after the game yesterday.

But hopefully I'm wrong.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Every ravens loss from now on will make me smile, even if it's to the pats, because of you.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

got any sevens posted:

Every ravens loss from now on will make me smile, even if it's to the pats, because of you.

yep

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Every awesome moment that happened this season (beating the Patriots at Foxboro, seeing CJ Prosise's potential, Jimmy Garahm finally going off) were completely overshadowed by these major structural flaws like how Tom Cable convinced the whole organization to divest in the o-line and lean entirely on Wilson's elusiveness. Or the major injuries such as Thomas, Lockett, and Prosise. Or how Sherman in his egotism is now actively antagonizing his coaches, the media, and even his own fellow teamates. I used to be a Dodgers fan as a kid and the way Sherman is behaving reminds me a bit of how Manny Ramirez was. Sherman's outbursts is just a major symptom of what I'm convinced is this giant schism between the coaches and the players that had only gotten worse with a staff that's over-leveraging on the team's reputation and divesting in critical areas.

This entire organization is a castle made sand, waiting for a wave like the Falcons to send it crashing down. Replacing Tom Cable with a more capable o-line coach would be a start but they'd need to continue making smart decisions in the offseason like investing in a better o-line, drafting talented rookies to keep the Leigon of Boom healthy, and finding a playmaker to take over the space Marshawn Lynch left behind.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 3, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dear Football Santa:

Please replace Dowell Loggains with Mike McCoy, or anyone who can elevate the Bears' offensive game.

Love,
Willy C

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Benny the Snake posted:

Every awesome moment that happened this season (beating the Patriots at Foxboro, seeing CJ Prosise's potential, Jimmy Garahm finally going off) were completely overshadowed by these major structural flaws like how Tom Cable convinced the whole organization to divest in the o-line and lean entirely on Wilson's elusiveness. Or the major injuries such as Thomas, Lockett, and Prosise. Or how Sherman in his egotism is now actively antagonizing his coaches, the media, and even his own fellow teamates. I used to be a Dodgers fan as a kid and the way Sherman is behaving reminds me a bit of how Manny Ramirez was.

This entire organization is a castle made sand, waiting for a wave like the Falcons to send it crashing down. Replacing Tom Cable with a more capable o-line coach would be a start but they'd need to continue making smart decisions in the offseason like investing in a better o-line, drafting talented rookies to keep the Leigon of Boom healthy, and finding a playmaker to take over the space Marshawn Lynch left behind.

Your season isn't over, whine in the thread for playoff teams.

got any sevens posted:

Ravens are still one of my favs, but Kawalimus whining will be a silver lining to all their losses.

Joe Flacco still plays like he's trying to get home early enough to catch his favorite evening shows. I didn't watch their whole season, but from what I saw I'm definitely questioning his motivation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

2 seasons ago we at least had injuries to blame

Gonna miss Smith. Kinda still mad at the Panthers (who am I kidding, it's just Gettleman) for how he was/is being treated. Really wanted to see him sign a one-day in Carolina if only for the return ceremony/ovation that would have gotten

All I want from the offseason is a chance at getting Tyrod back. I never stopped missing you :cry:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Joe Flacco still plays like he's trying to get home early enough to catch his favorite evening shows. I didn't watch their whole season, but from what I saw I'm definitely questioning his motivation.

I believe Joe Flacco will retire sooner than later.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I'm not worried about the Panthers D going forward. I thought Gettleman's plan for moving on from Norman was a solid one and it's gonna look even better next year when Bradberry & Worley are more seasoned. Carolina's gonna have a ton of cap room this year, and there's some scrubs they could cut if they want even more room. That's a team that can be back in the mix next year if they regroup intelligently. Their defensive talent level is still so far ahead of the rest of the division, and they do understand how to get a comfortable, confident level of play out of Cam.

DNS fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 3, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Sherman's outbursts is just a major symptom of what I'm convinced is this giant schism between the coaches and the players that had only gotten worse with a staff that's over-leveraging on the team's reputation and divesting in critical areas.

Do you think this schism originated in calling the pass play on the 1 in the super bowl?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Kawalimus posted:

We need another Sharpe on offense though, now that Steve Smith is gone. It can be a TE or a WR, or maybe even a RB if he's like Marshall Faulk.

I, too, hate it when my team drafts anyone who is not already a HOF lock

E: how did I miss this

Kawalimus posted:

I believe Joe Flacco will retire sooner than later.

He's 31! At least five more years left in him

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kawalimus posted:

It'll be 3 in four years. And you'll have the edge all time at that point. Ugh. It should be 5-1 to us. But both those losses were too important to want back.

Preseason Week 3!

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Can't really complain about the Bucs output this season even though they missed the playoffs by a tiebreaker. The offensive line is still the glaring weakness of the team, and I felt like the offense was sputtering quite a bit in the last half of the season. Winston progressed. There's still kinks that need to be worked out (overthrows, overthrows, and overthrows), but watching him during plays that break down is a treat. The Bucs have never had a QB be able to make something happen out of the pocket like this. Evans cleaned up the drops and is now firmly an elite receiver. Brate is the perfect safety valve. Martin got hurt then tried to drug his way back, and the rest of the running game was real bad. There were flashes at times, but having to split the load because of Sims health and Quizz/Barber being inconsistent really hurt the offense.

The defense was a massive surprise. I cannot believe the secondary played as well as it did. Grimes was great, Hargreaves made rookie mistakes but did well compared to expectations, and Tandy was a surprise. Chris Conte still blows though. David and Alexander were solid. David got off to a rough start, but by the end, he was a human tackling machine again. The D-Line was inconsistent at times, but it was a huge step up overall. Mike Smith deserves a ton of credit for the way he coached this group, and the game against Seattle is his masterwork. Really hope he doesn't get hired away.

Second Round Kicker sucked a lot. Third Round Punter was real cool though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well, the bears are on the endless quarterback/head coach carousel again, it's hard to see this team winning in the forseeable future unless they sell the team or somehow luck into a good quarterback, but it's also impossible to see the bears ever having an elite qb. the only time that's happened is when I picked up Zak Kustok in Madden 05.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

William jackson number three, will be great and not perpetually injured and wash out

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Cavauro posted:

William jackson number three, will be great and not perpetually injured and wash out

artie burns ftw bitch

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it look like I'm the rosted doughnut tonight.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Do you think this schism originated in calling the pass play on the 1 in the super bowl?

I became a fan of this team at that Superbowl and I knew that call was disastrous but it wasn't until Marshawn's retirement where it became the canary in the mine shaft moment for the team. But to put it all on that call is a little nearsighted. I think it was the culmination of general mismanagement and we're only now becoming aware of the depth of that issue.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 3, 2017

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
The vikings

The whole team died and we went 8-8

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Trevor Siemian sucked so bad Kubiak retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Benny the Snake posted:

I became a fan of this team at that Superbowl and I knew that call was disastrous but it wasn't until Marshawn's retirement where it became the canary in the mine shaft moment for the team. But to put it all on that call is a little nearsighted. I think it was the culmination of general mismanagement and we're only now becoming aware of the depth of that issue.

Wow, that's longer than most Seahawks fans

• Locked thread